Patriots work out Clinton Portis

Jetsfan80

This was reported yesterday but I didn't see a thread on it. Seems the Pats are trying to build a 2005 Pro Bowl roster.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/early-lead/post/clinton-portis-worked-out-with-new-england-patriots-on-friday/2011/08/20/gIQAvHg6RJ_blog.html

Clinton Portis worked out with New England Patriots on Friday

By Cindy Boren

Posted at 11:59 AM ET, 08/20/2011

Finally, the name of Clinton Portis has surfaced in connection with NFL teams looking to sign a free agent running back.

Portis was in Boston on Friday for a workout with the New England Patriots and, according to multiple reports, he was svelte but hardly in football shape. Portis, who’ll turn 30 on Sept. 1, was released by the Washington Redskins in late February.

Although Portis is the second-leading rusher in Redskins history, his final two seasons were plagued by injuries (most recently, an abdominal tear and concussion). He hasn’t gained 1,000 yards since 2008 and last year gained just 227 on 54 carries.

“He’s lost his burst, which is understandable and comes with time and it would be doubtful that a lot of teams would have interest in him,” Charlie Casserly told Mike Jones of The Post in February. “And at this point wherever he goes he’d be playing for the league minimum and I don’t know why he would want to do that.”

As his production declined, he still retained value in pass protection, something that might make him attractive to the Patriots, who seem to be taking a look at every free agent this side of Tiki Barber and Terrell Owens.

I would be shocked if they signed him. I am shocked that they even worked him out though, that's a bit of a surprise.

I'd be shocked if the Patriots signed Portis as well, but I'm not shocked they worked him out. Just look at the Patriots depth chart, they lack pure running backs.

Kevin Faulk seems to be done at the age of 35. He only earned 8 rushing attempts for 45 yards last year. It's obvious the Patriots coaching staff no longer has a use for Faulk as a 3rd down back.

Sammy Morris did nothing for them last year. At the age of 34, he seems to be done as well. 20 rushes, 56 yards and 0 TD's last year with NE. Why is he still on their roster? They've pretty much refused to use him.

I could care less what anyone has to say, Danny Woodhead isn't a running back. It's as simple as that. He may have put up 97 rushing attempts for 547 yards and 5 TD's for NE last year... But he's not a pure running back. He's a hell of a talent, but he'll never last in this league as a RB. If Green-Ellis goes down, the Patriots running game could become nonexistent. They'll still be deadly, they have Tom Brady.

Green-Ellis had an outstanding season last year with 229 attempts, 1,008 yards and 13 TD's, but lets get real here... He was a product of D's having to respect Brady. D's had to focus in on Moss, Welker, two rookie TE's etc, etc... Green-Ellis is a productive running back, but he's nothing special coming out of the backfield.

RE the Patriots current RB situation-

Assuming Vereen (and Woodhead) isn't hurt badly, the opening roster will likely be the following:

Green-Ellis

Woodhead

Morris

Ridley

Vereen

PUP: Faulk

I agree that Faulk is basically done as a RB. While he still has some gas left in the tank, Woodhead plays the same role he does, and plays it faster and with more power. Faulk's main contribution is as a mentor to the younger guys.

Morris had low production last year because he has primarily transitioned to the FB role. He still CAN carry the ball, but he is more valuable as the only legitimate option for a straight ahead lead blocker.

As for Portis: The real question is how injured is Vereen, and how injured, if at all, is Woodhead from the hit last game. Even if both are expected to return to the lineup soon, it certainly doesn't hurt to know what is out there in terms of available talent.

Assuming everyone is healthy, I don't see any FA RB options that significantly upgrade this group.

Oh and since I forgot it before:

I do agree that BJGE is "nothing special" in the sense that he is a solid, productive player. But frankly, solid productive players have a place on every team at the right price, especially at a position like RB. Taken to its extreme, guys like Emmitt Smith and Curtis Martin were the epitome of not-flashy, dependable grinders. Jerome Bettis made a career out of running the ball four yards at a time, and not much more.

Now I wouldn't compare BJGE directly to those HoFers, but my point is that he is a legitimate NFL back, and he has NEVER fumbled in a game. I don't care if he doesn't have breakaway speed or any particularly fancy moves. I'm happy with what he is.

I'd be shocked if the Patriots signed Portis as well, but I'm not shocked they worked him out. Just look at the Patriots depth chart, they lack pure running backs.

:rolleyes: Ridley is looking good so far and BJGE racked up 1000 yards last year and no fumbles.

Kevin Faulk seems to be done at the age of 35. He only earned 8 rushing attempts for 45 yards last year. It's obvious the Patriots coaching staff no longer has a use for Faulk as a 3rd down back.

DW, Faulk was on IR after the 2nd game last year.

Sammy Morris did nothing for them last year. At the age of 34, he seems to be done as well. 20 rushes, 56 yards and 0 TD's last year with NE. Why is he still on their roster? They've pretty much refused to use him.

He was injured last season too. But, Morris is only a situational RB at this point.

I could care less what anyone has to say, Danny Woodhead isn't a running back. It's as simple as that. He may have put up 97 rushing attempts for 547 yards and 5 TD's for NE last year... But he's not a pure running back. He's a hell of a talent, but he'll never last in this league as a RB. If Green-Ellis goes down, the Patriots running game could become nonexistent. They'll still be deadly, they have Tom Brady.

Kevin Faulk has made an NFL career doing the things that Woodhead does. I dont see anyone else clamimg Faulk isnt a RB.

Its early, but Ridley has opened some eyes.

Green-Ellis had an outstanding season last year with 229 attempts, 1,008 yards and 13 TD's, but lets get real here... He was a product of D's having to respect Brady. D's had to focus in on Moss, Welker, two rookie TE's etc, etc... Green-Ellis is a productive running back, but he's nothing special coming out of the backfield.

Moss got fired in Miami.

Welker was returning from reconstructive knee surgery and shoulder surgery. He wasnt the same player.

:rolleyes: Ridley is looking good so far and BJGE racked up 1000 yards last year and no fumbles.

DW, Faulk was on IR after the 2nd game last year.

He was injured last season too. But, Morris is only a situational RB at this point.

Kevin Faulk has made an NFL career doing the things that Woodhead does. I dont see anyone else clamimg Faulk isnt a RB.

Its early, but Ridley has opened some eyes.

Moss got fired in Miami.

Welker was returning from reconstructive knee surgery and shoulder surgery. He wasnt the same player.

Love all the justification for why they all suck. Keep drinking the Koolaid there Sunshine!!

why arent we lookin at any D-linemen or O-linemen?????

it seems every other team is bringin people in but us...

I like the depth at D-Line -- Ellis - Ropi -- not too shabby.

Agreed on the o line though. Tomorrow night will be very telling in that regard.

why arent we lookin at any D-linemen or O-linemen?????

it seems every other team is bringin people in but us...

I would expect they are waiting for final cuts to bring in o-line, right now the guys on the street are either old, crappy or both

Kevin Faulk has made an NFL career doing the things that Woodhead does.

They do the same things? Wrong. Since when has Woodhead returned punts and kickoffs? Never. Faulk has 280 returns for 5,030 return yards and 2 TD's as a return man. Woodhead? 1 return for 16 yards and 0 TD's. (With the Jets). Woodhead picked up 38 first downs for NE last season. Which was impressive, but Kevin Faulk has picked up 330 career first downs during his time with NE. Lets not compare Woodhead to one of the best 3rd down players of all-time, all because they play the same position for the same franchise. Both may be 5'8 in stature, both may play the RB position, but let's not compare Woodhead to a Kevin Faulk. That's ridiculous. Woodhead played 14 games for NE last season, and you're already trying to compare him to a Kevin Faulk? The same Kevin Faulk who's put in work for going on 13 years with NE? Granted 3 of those years were plagued by injuries, but still; this type of talk is absurd coming from a Patriots fan. Woodhead is a solid player, but he's no Kevin Faulk and never will be. Faulk has put up 3,550 rushing yards, 16 rushing TD's, 424 receptions, 3,667 receiving yards and 15 receiving TD's. Woodhead has a long ways to go before he can be compared to a player such as Faulk. All it takes out of a RB is to put up 926 all purpose yards (Woodhead) and he's being compared to Kevin Faulk? Nice to know. I make it known that Woodhead isn't a natural running back, and a NE fan points to "See Kevin Faulk and his body of work"? NE fans have became hilarious over the years.

I dont see anyone else clamimg Faulk isnt a RB.

Well, to be honest with you... I've never heard anyone consider Faulk as being a feature back, or even a true RB. Because he never was. I mostly considered him as a great 3rd down back and solid return man. Case in point, if Green-Ellis goes down... NE won't have a feature back to turn to. They won't have a back that could carry the work load either (because it's not Woodhead). Not to take anything away from Faulk, because he's been a great player, but how could you consider him as a back that could carry the work load? I'm not counting last season, but 839 rushing attempts, 3,505 rushing yards and 16 rushing TD's after 11 years of being in the league are not #'s that you wanna see out of a RUNNING BACK. That's only an average of 76 rushing attempts, 318 rushing yards and 1.45 TD's per season. Great player, but has never been considered as a running back that could carry the work load.

I agree, but he'll never be what he once was. I believe it's safe to say that the best of Welker has came and gone. He's still a productive player, yes, but he'll never be as productive as he once was.

Faulk certainly has had surprising longevity, given how often the Boston media loved to bash him early in his career. By the same token however, it seems silly to bash Woodhead simply for NOT being a 13 year veteran. Faulk certainly brings far more experience to the table than Woodhead, but Woodhead is faster and stronger, with just as much wiggle in the open field, from what I have seen. Meanwhile Faulk is 35, coming off a major injury, and still not back on the practice field.

I respect the hell out of Kevin Faulk for what he has meant to this franchise, but he isn't going to play forever. With Woodhead and Vereen on the roster now (assuming the rookie gets healthy and is as advertised), Faulk has serious, legitimate competition for the role of draw runner and pass catcher.

As for what happens if BJGE goes down, I suspect you'd see some combination of Sammy Morris (*gulp*) and Stevan Ridley, as well as even more draws and screens than usual. That being said, I have high hopes for Ridley. He may make some mistakes, but he runs downhill with enthusiasm (certainly more so than Maroney ever did), and has shown more speed and agility than expected, given his pre-draft profile.

All this being said: The Patriots running game does NOT need to be great for the team to succeed. It merely needs to be adequate enough to average 3.8-4.1 YPC, keep defenses slightly honest, and take advantage when defenses sell out to stop the pass.

All this being said: The Patriots running game does NOT need to be great for the team to succeed. It merely needs to be adequate enough to average 3.8-4.1 YPC, keep defenses slightly honest, and take advantage when defenses sell out to stop the pass.

While that's true, Green-Ellis is the only back that can consistently keep a defense honest. Hell, the dude was THIRD in the NFL in DYAR last year behind Jamaal Charles and Arian Foster. Beyond that, Woodhead was just OK and everyone else was awful.

While that's true, Green-Ellis is the only back that can consistently keep a defense honest. Hell, the dude was THIRD in the NFL in DYAR last year behind Jamaal Charles and Arian Foster. Beyond that, Woodhead was just OK and everyone else was awful.

Love you.

And at this point wherever he goes he’d be playing for the league minimum and I don’t know why he would want to do that.

The league minimum for guys with the service time that Portis has is over $800,000. There are some bonuses that I think can be paid and he would still only cost the team that signs him the minimum against the cap. Why the **** wouldn't a guy want a chance to earn a million dollars playing for a solid contender?

They do the same things? Wrong. Since when has Woodhead returned punts and kickoffs? Never. Faulk has 280 returns for 5,030 return yards and 2 TD's as a return man. Woodhead? 1 return for 16 yards and 0 TD's. (With the Jets). Woodhead picked up 38 first downs for NE last season. Which was impressive, but Kevin Faulk has picked up 330 career first downs during his time with NE. Lets not compare Woodhead to one of the best 3rd down players of all-time, all because they play the same position for the same franchise. Both may be 5'8 in stature, both may play the RB position, but let's not compare Woodhead to a Kevin Faulk. That's ridiculous. Woodhead played 14 games for NE last season, and you're already trying to compare him to a Kevin Faulk? The same Kevin Faulk who's put in work for going on 13 years with NE? Granted 3 of those years were plagued by injuries, but still; this type of talk is absurd coming from a Patriots fan. Woodhead is a solid player, but he's no Kevin Faulk and never will be. Faulk has put up 3,550 rushing yards, 16 rushing TD's, 424 receptions, 3,667 receiving yards and 15 receiving TD's. Woodhead has a long ways to go before he can be compared to a player such as Faulk. All it takes out of a RB is to put up 926 all purpose yards (Woodhead) and he's being compared to Kevin Faulk? Nice to know. I make it known that Woodhead isn't a natural running back, and a NE fan points to "See Kevin Faulk and his body of work"? NE fans have became hilarious over the years.

Yo, Hemingway, Woody played the exact same position Faulk had after he landed on IR.

Also, youre comparing a guy who has been in BB system going on 11 season to Woody's 2nd year. Its foolishness.

Well, to be honest with you... I've never heard anyone consider Faulk as being a feature back, or even a true RB. Because he never was. I mostly considered him as a great 3rd down back and solid return man. Case in point, if Green-Ellis goes down... NE won't have a feature back to turn to. They won't have a back that could carry the work load either (because it's not Woodhead). Not to take anything away from Faulk, because he's been a great player, but how could you consider him as a back that could carry the work load? I'm not counting last season, but 839 rushing attempts, 3,505 rushing yards and 16 rushing TD's after 11 years of being in the league are not #'s that you wanna see out of a RUNNING BACK. That's only an average of 76 rushing attempts, 318 rushing yards and 1.45 TD's per season. Great player, but has never been considered as a running back that could carry the work load.

Faulk is a 3rd down change of pace RB. Thats what he does.

I agree, but he'll never be what he once was. I believe it's safe to say that the best of Welker has came and gone. He's still a productive player, yes, but he'll never be as productive as he once was.

We soon find out if your crystal ball is legit.

Welker said that hes never felt better and everyone knows that the 2nd season after knee surgery is when players usually return to normal.

If Woody was still on the Jets he would great.

Woody the RT? We never thought he was "great", we considered him as being reliable. Nothing more, nothing less. Far from great though.

As far as Woodhead goes... The Jets fan base may have seen some talent in Woodhead, but we mostly enjoyed him due to the fact that he was a little white guy running around the practice field. I'm pretty sure no one ever considered Woodhead to be "great". The Jets as a team haven't won a ring since 68-69, but that doesn't change the fact that we have one of the most knowledgeable fan bases around. One of the most loyal too. As of right now, we're a hungry fan base, but very knowledgeable of the game of football at the same time.

We know enough to know that NE's time is running out. We look at NE like we look at a clock "tick-tock". It's only a matter of time before the Patriots go back to being "that team" of the AFC East that fans around football no longer care enough to even talk about. Just like it's always been. It won't be long before the Dolphins become the Jets biggest rivals once again. The Jets are New York (NJ too), we'll always be in the spot-light, the same can not be said for NE. We have a brand spanking new state of the art stadium. A stadium that will host 2014's Super Bowl. It's nice to know that Sanchez will also be enjoying his prime years by the time 2014 rolls around.

Brady won't be here for too much longer. Bill Belichick isn't about to jeopardize his coaching legacy once Brady calls it quits either. That'll happen sooner rather than later. Just look at BB's record before Brady, with the Browns and 1st year with NE... He was a mess. A career loser (at best) before Brady saved his NFL coaching career. Brady is 34, the downfall of Brady should be pretty fun to watch. The Jets? As a fan base? We not onle know, but also understand that our era under Sanchez and Rex Ryan himself has just begun. Get ready for great D's, monster rushing attacks and a QB who's on the verge of coming into his own. This is all something that most NE fans can not admit, the knowledge isn't there for the most part. You all have forgotten where you've came from as a fan base since Brady arrived. The Patriots were always a laughing stock, after Brady... Back to being a laughing stock you go.

Now, in all honesty, Woodhead never had a chance to impact for our offense on a consistant basis. Shonn Greene and Tomlinson are hands down better RB's and the upside of Joe McKnight is much greater than the potential of Woodhead. Woodhead would have been a 3rd down back at most last season. We have a great coaching staff here in NY, they knew Woodhead was the odd man out. Nothing against Woodhead, but he's only been given a chance in NE because of lack of RB talent/depth you all have had over the years.

Tomlinson is 34 and still had a much better season than Woodhead. A younger Woodhead couldn't out perform a player in LT who's on his way out of the game. Woodhead just gets the hype because he's a little white guy running around the football field.

Last year:

Tomlinson: 914 rushing yards, 6 rushing TD's, 42 rushing first downs. 52 receptions, 368 receiving yards, 0 TD's and 19 first downs as a WR/RB.

WoodheadL 547 rushing yards, 5 rushing TD's, 23 rushing first downs. 34 receptions, 379 receiving yards, 1 TD and 15 first downs as a WR/RB.

Like I've previously stated... Woodhead had no chance to impact for our Jets. 3rd on the depth charts at best. It's no secret that the upside of Joe McKnight is also much greater than the potential of Woodhead. Enjoy Danny boy; a player who couldn't crack the Jets backfield.

Woody the RT? We never thought he was "great", we considered him as being reliable. Nothing more, nothing less. Far from great though.

As far as Woodhead goes... The Jets fan base may have seen some talent in Woodhead, but we mostly enjoyed him due to the fact that he was a little white guy running around the practice field. I'm pretty sure no one ever considered Woodhead to be "great". The Jets as a team haven't won a ring since 68-69, but that doesn't change the fact that we have one of the most knowledgeable fan bases around. One of the most loyal too. As of right now, we're a hungry fan base, but very knowledgeable of the game of football at the same time.

We know enough to know that NE's time is running out. We look at NE like we look at a clock "tick-tock". It's only a matter of time before the Patriots go back to being "that team" of the AFC East that fans around football no longer care enough to even talk about. Just like it's always been. It won't be long before the Dolphins become the Jets biggest rivals once again. The Jets are New York (NJ too), we'll always be in the spot-light, the same can not be said for NE. We have a brand spanking new state of the art stadium. A stadium that will host 2014's Super Bowl. It's nice to know that Sanchez will also be enjoying his prime years by the time 2014 rolls around.

Brady won't be here for too much longer. Bill Belichick isn't about to jeopardize his coaching legacy once Brady calls it quits either. That'll happen sooner rather than later. Just look at BB's record before Brady, with the Browns and 1st year with NE... He was a mess. A career loser (at best) before Brady saved his NFL coaching career. Brady is 34, the downfall of Brady should be pretty fun to watch. The Jets? As a fan base? We not onle know, but also understand that our era under Sanchez and Rex Ryan himself has just begun. Get ready for great D's, monster rushing attacks and a QB who's on the verge of coming into his own. This is all something that most NE fans can not admit, the knowledge isn't there for the most part. You all have forgotten where you've came from as a fan base since Brady arrived. The Patriots were always a laughing stock, after Brady... Back to being a laughing stock you go.

Now, in all honesty, Woodhead never had a chance to impact for our offense on a consistant basis. Shonn Greene and Tomlinson are hands down better RB's and the upside of Joe McKnight is much greater than the potential of Woodhead. Woodhead would have been a 3rd down back at most last season. We have a great coaching staff here in NY, they knew Woodhead was the odd man out. Nothing against Woodhead, but he's only been given a chance in NE because of lack of RB talent/depth you all have had over the years.

Tomlinson is 34 and still had a much better season than Woodhead. A younger Woodhead couldn't out perform a player in LT who's on his way out of the game. Woodhead just gets the hype because he's a little white guy running around the football field.

Last year:

Tomlinson: 914 rushing yards, 6 rushing TD's, 42 rushing first downs. 52 receptions, 368 receiving yards, 0 TD's and 19 first downs as a WR/RB.

WoodheadL 547 rushing yards, 5 rushing TD's, 23 rushing first downs. 34 receptions, 379 receiving yards, 1 TD and 15 first downs as a WR/RB.

Like I've previously stated... Woodhead had no chance to impact for our Jets. 3rd on the depth charts at best. It's no secret that the upside of Joe McKnight is also much greater than the potential of Woodhead. Enjoy Danny boy; a player who couldn't crack the Jets backfield.

Neva mind.

Archived