Should the Jets Cut LT?

Doggin94it

I hate to say it, because I like his leadership and willingness to play within the team concept - but from what I've seen this preseason LT brings nothing to the table as a running threat anymore. His sole on-field value is as a receiver out of the backfield - and McKnight can easily fill that role just as well, while providing at least the threat of a run. Should the Jets pull the plug on LT?

Should or would?

We know it wouldn't happen. As to should? I say no. All 4 Jets RBs are making the roster and the Jets need all the RB depth they can. What LT shows in the PS is never really an issue. LT was barely on the field.

I hate to say it, because I like his leadership and willingness to play within the team concept - but from what I've seen this preseason LT brings nothing to the table as a running threat anymore. His sole on-field value is as a receiver out of the backfield - and McKnight can easily fill that role just as well, while providing at least the threat of a run. Should the Jets pull the plug on LT?

No, just give him a reduced role. We're a running team that requires a stable of backs. For as much as LT has seemingly hit the wall, he's not a threat to fumble or drop any passes anytime soon. That's valuable in this offense.

No.

I don't disagree about your assessment of him as a rusher at this point, but... The man will still be a very good 3rd down back for the Jets. You need a guy there who not only can catch the ball, but who's also adept at pass protection. LT is that guy.

Joe McNight has not been proven as a starter. He looks good against second string. Greene can;t catch a football on the run. LT should hang out.

No.

I don't disagree about your assessment of him as a rusher at this point, but... The man will still be a very good 3rd down back for the Jets. You need a guy there who not only can catch the ball, but who's also adept at pass protection. LT is that guy.

This. I think this is the last year we have him on the roster but he'll contribute in not obvious ways. I don't think there will be any debate that LT is finished as a productive RB.

No.

Bingo. Hit the nail on the head with that one, because LT's value as the third down back is just as much about pass blocking as it is receiving (which he's still excellent at both). For as much as both McKnight and Powell can contribute in the passing game, neither has done enough to show they can be trusted to protect Sanchez on obvious passing downs. LT's rushing role will be severly limited, and there's a reason the Jets are carrying another 3 RBs other than him, but that doesn't mean he has no value to this team.

Bingo. Hit the nail on the head with that one, because LT's value as the third down back is just as much about pass blocking as it is receiving (which he's still excellent at both). For as much as both McKnight and Powell can contribute in the passing game, neither has done enough to show they can be trusted to protect Sanchez on obvious passing downs. LT's rushing role will be severly limited, and there's a reason the Jets are carrying another 3 RBs other than him, but that doesn't mean he has no value to this team.

This is true - but McKnight has shown a willingness to block, and LT entering the game essentially is a "pass" tell for opposing defenses (or the equivalent, because who cares if they surprise you with an LT run?)

No.

Think of Kevin Faulk of the Pats, they would never feed him a steady diet of carries, and never give it to him on 1st or 2nd down, but he is/was (Not up to date on his status) one of the best 3rd down backs, just like you said picks up blocks makes clutch catches, never fumbles, ect..... The Jets, and LT just need to agree that this is his role, and if he wants to play for another year, at the price a role player makes, then he can stick around as long as he wants if its agreed that this is his role and only that.

Archived