Can someone who understands football explain why we didnt kick the field goal?

Matt39

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you need 2 scores. you're on the 8 yard line or whatever it was. you need to score, recover an onsides, score again, with no timeouts.

you have better odds scoring from the 8 than from your own 45 with what 30 seconds and no time outs. I'd rather have to set up a long FG than a hail mary pass

and no I don't claim to know football, just how I see it

You need 2 scores with one being a TD. You also need an onside kick recovery. Taking the 3 there and you have to recover the onside and march the entire field. Score the TD there and you recover the onside and just have to get into field goal range. You ALWAYS go for the 7 when you are on RIGHT THERE and down by 10 late in the game in my opinion.

Disorganization, unpreparedness, and stupidity, all rolled into a big bowl of wrong. By no means do you go for a win when you're down by two scores, under a minute to go, no time outs, you're within that distance of the uprights, and you need the onside kick anyways. By far one of the all-time stupidest calls I've ever seen a Jet coach make.

I would say it was almost definitely the RIGHT call to go for the touchdown there.

This is simply because of the time situation and field position... You need: a touchdown and a field goal.

With only half a minute left, you either take the 95+ yards NOW towards the touchdown, attempt the onside and try to get the 30-40 yards for the field goal. Or, you kick the field goal, kick the onsides, and then you need to go 60+ yards for the touchdown. Time is at a premium as compared to downs.

I hope I've explained it well enough.

You need 2 scores with one being a TD. You also need an onside kick recovery. Taking the 3 there and you have to recover the onside and march the entire field. Score the TD there and you recover the onside and just have to get into field goal range. You ALWAYS go for the 7 when you are on RIGHT THERE and down by 10 late in the game in my opinion.

Not on 4th down. Always extend the game. If you recover the onsides, you have to go at most 60 yards. One big play...spike...take your shots at the endzone. It was Herman Edwards esque.

Disorganization, unpreparedness, and stupidity, all rolled into a big bowl of wrong. By no means do you go for a win when you're down by two scores, under a minute to go, no time outs, you're within that distance of the uprights, and you need the onside kick anyways. By far one of the all-time stupidest calls I've ever seen a Jet coach make.

I completely disagree.

Because when you are that close to the endzone, you go for the TD now. If you kick a short FG first, you are reducing your chances of winning to having to drive the length of the field and score a TD to win later with no timeouts and an unknown amount of time to work with. Much easier to play for a field position and kick a FG later. Why is this so hard for people to understand?

Not on 4th down. Always extend the game. If you recover the onsides, you have to go at most 60 yards. One big play...spike...take your shots at the endzone. It was Herman Edwards esque.

No, it was the right call. It comes down to making up the yard differential either with a hail mary pass or a field goal, as Larz noted. It's the right call... it really is. There is plenty of blame to go around for this game, don't put it on this call.

do you really see the offense scoring a TD from their own 45 with no timeouts and 30 seconds if they can't score a TD from the 8 ?

Because when you are that close to the endzone, you go for the TD now. If you kick a short FG first, you are reducing your chances of winning to having to drive the length of the field and score a TD to win later with no timeouts and an unknown amount of time to work with. Much easier to play for a field position and kick a FG later. Why is this so hard for people to understand?

Because it was 4th down. Its really basic. Extend the game...similarily to fouling in basketball.

No, it was the right call. It comes down to making up the yard differential either with a hail mary pass or a field goal, as Larz noted. It's the right call... it really is. There is plenty of blame to go around for this game, don't put it on this call.

Im not blaming the game on that, but that's JV football common knowledge. I thought we were done with this nonsense with Herm. You cant win the game there on 4th down. You need to extend the football game.

do you really see the offense scoring a TD from their own 45 with no timeouts and 30 seconds if they can't score a TD from the 8 ?

No, this is narrative, I'm speaking in the pragmatic. I see an offense extending their odds of evening the game by extending the clock, not by going all in when you're down by two scores regardless. You don't go all in when there's still that much work to be done. By going that heavily against the unlikely in the first place, you're already eliminating everything subsequent.

No, this is narrative, I'm speaking in the pragmatic. I see an offense extending their odds of evening the game by extending the clock, not by going all in when you're down by two scores regardless. You don't go all in when there's still that much work to be done. By going that heavily against the unlikely in the first place, you're already eliminating everything subsequent.

I like it. you need a score and 2 miracles, I say let one of the miracles be a long FG over a hail mary, the odds are simply better

We were on the two yard line on 4th down with the clock running. You're absolutely ******* insane if you think kicking a FG there is the right call.

In.

Sane.

It was 4th down. You need to score twice anyways. No timeouts left. Kicking the field goal is as basic as it gets.

It was 4th down. You need to score twice anyways. No timeouts left. Kicking the field goal is as basic as it gets.

the 4th down element is off set by the point blank field position. once you get outside the 15, 20, kick the FG. but from that close, go for the throat

It should have never come down to this.

End of story.

How many first downs off penalties did the Jets get from Raider first downs? Good teams take advantage of errors made to extend drives. The Jets did not play well at all especially in the 3rd quarter and didn't deserve to win that game with poor play in both trenches

because we were runnin outta time and we nedded the most pts. momentum off a td would have payed it forward on confidence in getting our onside kick afterwards. I thought Mark scored it was just a bullsht day for us. Cromartie lost the game, havent you heard?

No, they really aren't. The odds of the field goal being hit right off the bat vs getting the TD make it a no-contest comparison in terms of total probability actually.

now you're just being stubborn. if a TD is that easy, why not try it from point blank range ?

You cant play the odds game when you need two scores. All you can do is keep the game alive. When you're down 10 points in basketball with a minute left you cant just play it out and hope you make shots, you need to foul to extend the game. Its the same sh*t.

No, they really aren't. The odds of the field goal being hit right off the bat vs getting the TD make it a no-contest comparison in terms of total probability actually.

You have to factor in the odds of getting an onside kick in the first place, which in itself is incredibly unlikely, so lets not act like the game was won or lost on this decision either way.

That being said I still think it was the right one. You would have to accumulate far more offensive yards in your scenario than the one we went with. Yes you put the points on the board, but you also waste time getting the FG unit out there and throw away a very good chance to get 7 from the two yard line.

I genuinely don't see how you think your scenario is more probable. It will certainly keep the game alive, but I don't think it makes it the right choice.

You cant play the odds game when you need two scores. All you can do is keep the game alive. When you're down 10 points in basketball with a minute left you cant just play it out and hope you make shots, you need to foul to extend the game. Its the same sh*t.

Not the same sh*t. Not the same sport.

You do play the odds, especially when the onside kick itself is pretty ******* unlikely. So you're pretty much banking on a chip shot, an onside kick AND a crazy miracle on offense for you to win the game, as opposed to a two yard gain, an onside kick and some 30 odd yards in less than 50 seconds.

You have to factor in the odds of getting an onside kick in the first place.

Correct. Which is again why you take the FG. You have to get to that point to begin with. You can either take the odds of that and multiply them by 1 or you can multiply them by whatever you think is a fair number to give Sanchez given the way he'd played up to that point.

Not the same sh*t. Not the same sport.

You do play the odds, especially when the onside kick itself is pretty ******* unlikely. So you're pretty much banking on a chip shot, an onside kick AND a crazy miracle on offense for you to win the game, as opposed to a two yard gain, an onside kick and some 30 odd yards in less than 50 seconds.

30 yards in 50 seconds is hardly a miracle.

It wasnt the reason we lost...its just scary to know our head coach doesnt understand basic clock management.

Archived