Instead of Blaming Schottenheimer

#27TheDominator

Why haven't I heard Bill Callahan's name mentioned? For the past three season all I have heard is that every positive offensive play was the result of Bill Callahan's mastery of the zone blocking scheme. That the ability of the Jets to run had nothing to do with the skill of the players. That Brian Schottenheimer could not hope to put together a successful drive it weren't for Callahan's skill. Each offensive lineman that the Jets picked up was made better by his very presence and Matt Slauson was basically the proof that Callahan could take any player that wants to play and make him into a part of a ground and pound juggernaut.

In 2011 with quality weapons at all skill positions and an improving quarterback the team has taken a step back because the offensive line has not been able to provide any holes in the running game or protection in the passing game. Worse, the team is playing with the same personnel that won playoff games against the Colts and Patriots. Sure Mangold has gone down, but the line sucked pretty bad long before he got hurt. They may miss Woody's run blocking, but he missed time last year including the playoff games and the line was fine. Moore is recovering from hip surgery, but I haven't heard any rumblings that he has been physically limited.

Vlad Ducasse was a 2010 2nd rounder who supposedly had a first round grade. The Jets let him compete for the LG spot and he was beaten out by Slauson. This season Ducasse was to compete for the right tackle job with Hunter. Hunter won the spot despite looking pretty shaky himself. All I have heard is that Tannenbaum is at fault for picking such a bust and that Ducasse is too dumb, slow, etc for the NFL game. Nobody mentions Callahan's inability to develop the project. Callahan gets an incredible amount of credit for input into the Slauson pick and for developing Slauson into a solid starter, it strains credibility to think he had no input in the Ducasse pick. Why hasn't Callahan been able to develop this mauler?

Do I actually think that the apparent downfall of our offensive line is Callahan's fault? No, but since his unit is the one that isn't showing up, I think he deserves at least as much blame as Schottenheimer. I certainly don't think he's deserved all the accolades he's received by Jets fans over the past few years. He does a good job with the line, but they are having a tough time right now. The abbreviated camp and preseason has hurt. The injury to Rob Turner cost the team stability and meant everybody was jumping around when players were dinged or injured. Mangold missed time in camp. Moore barely played in the preseason. For all the ground and pound bravado, the Jets run a system that is a little more complicated than simply lining up and blasting your man. It may take them some time to get used to each other and move as a unit. The injuries have cost them in continuity and that is a big key for the offensive line. Do I think Wayne Hunter is horrible? No, but he's probably not as good as we'd hoped after the stretch run last year.

There is plenty of time to right the ship. I think Sanchez had plenty of time in the first half. The Raiders adjusted and beat him up in the second half. With a backup undrafted free agent at center who has only been with the team for a couple of weeks, there are only so many tricks to try. The only teams the Jets have a worse record than are the Packers, Lions and Bills. Why should we be upset? I have faith in the Jets and I even have faith in Bill Callahan. The next couple of games are a tough stretch, but I think the Jets will survive it just fine. It's a strange season and the lockout cost a lot of teams. It's been a great equalizer, but in the end the cream will rise to the top.

Simply put Callahan has had a track record of being successful as a HC in the NFL as well as in the college ranks. Great points on Vlad but perhaps they tried getting too cute with that pick in the 2nd round on a project player. He's a raw talent that just doesn't seem to like contact, for his size isn't as physical of a talent as hoped and just looks lost out there. The problem with their team is going through an identity crisis because injuries, lack of cohesiveness because of people missing preseason games and Hunter underachieving. With that being said it's Schottys job to identify that problem and tailor a scheme to our strengths. My issue (and probably with alot of others on the board) is Schotty out coaches himself, handcuffs Sanchez and is awful on making in-game adjustments. There should be points in the game where Sanchez should be able to speed the tempo up, do a no-huddle offense to throw off the D and be have more power to make audibles at the line. The most disturbing thing about this week's game was the amount of 1st downs the Jets got as a result of Raider penalties, and how they did not capitalize on those mistakes. Good teams like the Steelers or Patriots make teams pay for it and thrive on teams keeping their offenses on the field.

I know nobody wants to say it and I might be going crazy, but how about Sanchez? He is the fifty million dollar top 5 pick QB, and has been for 37 games now.

Not wanting Sanchez to be the problem is one thing. Deciding that Schottenheimer makes a plausible scapegoat is something else. Both of the other two teams in our division that have been in the market for head coaches in the last decade have sought to interview him, the Lions and Buccaneers both wanted him in 2009 but we refused lateral interviews even as we went through a head coaching change ourselves (a la when Rex got passed over for Harbaugh in Baltimore). Miami liked the view from the opposite sideline enough to interview him after only one year, and Buffalo was still interested three years and three quarterback changes later. The Jets, Detroit, and Tampa all had him pegged as the guy they wanted to run their rookie quarterbacks' offenses. On the other hand, Midget Love 20 from the internet says he outcoaches himself. I personally have no idea how to allocate responsibility for our offense's performance between coaching and execution, but I do know what the people who are responsible for making that distinction think of Brian Schottenheimer.

Maybe. I think if there is blame to go around it was more on the decision making, though. I believe the team fell into the bad trap of seeing a guy fill in and doing ok and projecting that into being a full time starter. I always think that most teams get wise to players like that in the offseason and its not realistic to expect a veteran player to adjust the way a young guy will to whatever new stuff he sees. The Jets did the same thing with Anthony Clement when he played well in a new scheme in 2006 and then was out of the NFL by 2008. They may have made a mistake thinking Mulligan was ready to become a blocking TE rather than retaining Hartsock, though I do believe it was time to move away from Hartsock because he couldnt catch. I dont think they overestimated Moore's ability to cover for weaker players since they tried to ship him out a few years ago but hes always been someone that does not play nearly as well when he does not have good players to the left and right of him. Maybe Ducasse was just too much of a reach. The Jets track record in that round isnt great outside of David Harris.

Not wanting Sanchez to be the problem is one thing. Deciding that Schottenheimer makes a plausible scapegoat is something else. Both of the other two teams in our division that have been in the market for head coaches in the last decade have sought to interview him, the Lions and Buccaneers both wanted him in 2009 but we refused lateral interviews even as we went through a head coaching change ourselves (a la when Rex got passed over for Harbaugh in Baltimore). Miami liked the view from the opposite sideline enough to interview him after only one year, and Buffalo was still interested three years and three quarterback changes later. The Jets, Detroit, and Tampa all had him pegged as the guy they wanted to run their rookie quarterbacks' offenses. On the other hand, Midget Love 20 from the internet says he outcoaches himself. I personally have no idea how to allocate responsibility for our offense's performance between coaching and execution, but I do know what the people who are responsible for making that distinction think of Brian Schottenheimer.

And there's no possibility they can be wrong?

And there's no possibility they can be wrong?

Of course there is. I just find it to be more likely that you're all wrong than that they're all wrong. It's not a certainty. The Jets have a proven organizational capacity for sticking their fingers in their ears and yelling LA LA LA to drown out the obvious. Talking yourself out of Dan Marino and Warren Sapp and into Dewayne Robertson and Vernon Gholston takes some doing. But it's not just the Jets. Everybody likes Schottenheimer except Jets fans.

Of course there is. I just find it to be more likely that you're all wrong than that they're all wrong. It's not a certainty. The Jets have a proven organizational capacity for sticking their fingers in their ears and yelling LA LA LA to drown out the obvious. Talking yourself out of Dan Marino and Warren Sapp and into Dewayne Robertson and Vernon Gholston takes some doing. But it's not just the Jets. Everybody likes Schottenheimer except Jets fans.

I don't know about that.

The best example I can give you is Ted Cottrell. At one point as the Jets DC he was very highly thought of and even interviewed for an HC job. The very next year the defense fell apart and not only was Cottrell no longer considered a viable HC candidate, the Jets fired him as DC.

Just because Schotty was highly thought of a few of years ago, when he declined an opportunity to interview for the Dolphins job, doesn't mean that same sentiment exists today.

I put his inability to adjust to the Raiders' zone squarely on Schotty's shoulders, as did Santonio Holmes yesterday.

That is 100% on Schitty.

I was strictly speaking about the OLine problem. That's why the Jets have an OLine coach. It's Callahan's job to fix it.

Great post

Vlad falls right on Cally. The Jets must still have a high opinion of him. He's the only back up OT on the team. Hunter is what he is a vet JAG.

I hope Callahan can get Vlad up to speed soon, because I don't think Hunter is going to become an All Pro anytime soon

Why haven't I heard Bill Callahan's name mentioned? For the past three season all I have heard is that every positive offensive play was the result of Bill Callahan's mastery of the zone blocking scheme. That the ability of the Jets to run had nothing to do with the skill of the players. That Brian Schottenheimer could not hope to put together a successful drive it weren't for Callahan's skill. Each offensive lineman that the Jets picked up was made better by his very presence and Matt Slauson was basically the proof that Callahan could take any player that wants to play and make him into a part of a ground and pound juggernaut.

In 2011 with quality weapons at all skill positions and an improving quarterback the team has taken a step back because the offensive line has not been able to provide any holes in the running game or protection in the passing game. Worse, the team is playing with the same personnel that won playoff games against the Colts and Patriots. Sure Mangold has gone down, but the line sucked pretty bad long before he got hurt. They may miss Woody's run blocking, but he missed time last year including the playoff games and the line was fine. Moore is recovering from hip surgery, but I haven't heard any rumblings that he has been physically limited.

Vlad Ducasse was a 2010 2nd rounder who supposedly had a first round grade. The Jets let him compete for the LG spot and he was beaten out by Slauson. This season Ducasse was to compete for the right tackle job with Hunter. Hunter won the spot despite looking pretty shaky himself. All I have heard is that Tannenbaum is at fault for picking such a bust and that Ducasse is too dumb, slow, etc for the NFL game. Nobody mentions Callahan's inability to develop the project. Callahan gets an incredible amount of credit for input into the Slauson pick and for developing Slauson into a solid starter, it strains credibility to think he had no input in the Ducasse pick. Why hasn't Callahan been able to develop this mauler?

Do I actually think that the apparent downfall of our offensive line is Callahan's fault? No, but since his unit is the one that isn't showing up, I think he deserves at least as much blame as Schottenheimer. I certainly don't think he's deserved all the accolades he's received by Jets fans over the past few years. He does a good job with the line, but they are having a tough time right now. The abbreviated camp and preseason has hurt. The injury to Rob Turner cost the team stability and meant everybody was jumping around when players were dinged or injured. Mangold missed time in camp. Moore barely played in the preseason. For all the ground and pound bravado, the Jets run a system that is a little more complicated than simply lining up and blasting your man. It may take them some time to get used to each other and move as a unit. The injuries have cost them in continuity and that is a big key for the offensive line. Do I think Wayne Hunter is horrible? No, but he's probably not as good as we'd hoped after the stretch run last year.

There is plenty of time to right the ship. I think Sanchez had plenty of time in the first half. The Raiders adjusted and beat him up in the second half. With a backup undrafted free agent at center who has only been with the team for a couple of weeks, there are only so many tricks to try. The only teams the Jets have a worse record than are the Packers, Lions and Bills. Why should we be upset? I have faith in the Jets and I even have faith in Bill Callahan. The next couple of games are a tough stretch, but I think the Jets will survive it just fine. It's a strange season and the lockout cost a lot of teams. It's been a great equalizer, but in the end the cream will rise to the top.

Hater.

Hey Callahan, here...take this career backup turnstyle tackle, this gigantic 2nd round bust, this rookie center we just hired an hour and a half ago, this sixth round project, and a guy who recently had hip surgery...and make them wonderful. What's that? No, sorry, you can't have a training camp. But I'm sure you'll do just fine. After all...you have nick Mangold!

I don't know about that.

The best example I can give you is Ted Cottrell. At one point as the Jets DC he was very highly thought of and even interviewed for an HC job. The very next year the defense fell apart and not only was Cottrell no longer considered a viable HC candidate, the Jets fired him as DC.

Just because Schotty was highly thought of a few of years ago, when he

declined an opportunity to interview for the Dolphins job, doesn't mean that same sentiment exists today.

It's been more than the Dolphins. The Bills and others have went after Schottenheimer hard, the Jets pushed them all away. The guy has been one of the more sought after coordinators out there while he's been here.

Hey Callahan, here...take this career backup turnstyle tackle, this gigantic 2nd round bust, this rookie center we just hired an hour and a half ago, this sixth round project, and a guy who recently had hip surgery...and make them wonderful. What's that? No, sorry, you can't have a training camp. But I'm sure you'll do just fine. After all...you have nick Mangold!

Rookie center? They ran better with the rookie center than they did the prior two games. All I have heard on here was that the "sixth round project" was Callahan's call because he had the kid in college and about what a great job Callahan did with him. Moore's hip surgery and the lack of camp could reduce the blame on all of them, but nobody has accepted those as reasons for the piss poor running game. Instead we are supposed to fire Schotty and demote Greene. As for the 2nd round "bust" and career backup, of course they fall on Callahan. If he felt they weren't good enough Callahan would certainly have had some input. Both in the drafting of Ducasse and more importantly on the re-signing of Hunter. The Jets had the opportunity to sign other tackles, but selected Hunter. They didn't break the bank, but he wasn't exactly a bargain $13M over 4. The offensive line the Jets started the season with was on the field for all three playoff games last year. They have regressed, but they certainly can turn it around.

It's been more than the Dolphins. The Bills and others have went after Schottenheimer hard, the Jets pushed them all away. The guy has been one of the more sought after coordinators out there while he's been here.

Going after a coach hard is what we did with Parcells years ago. Asking for an interview is just that...asking for an interview. Coordinators are hot items once every few years and they would be foolish not to take the opportunity when it presents itself. Jason Garretts decision to pass on Atlanta and Baltimore (and he was a legit hot candidate with offers in his hand from both teams) and stay with Dallas nearly cost him a chance to be a head coach. His star had dimmed big time by 2010 and if not for the lockout might not even be a coach in Dallas now. Greg Williams took the terrible deal of "a promise to be head coach" in Washington and will likely never get a chance to be a head coach again. But these guys as least leveraged the interest into big concessions". Schotty has never gotten those type of deals (complete autonomy as a coordinator, huge pay raise, offers to become head coach under certain conditions). Maybe he will one day, but he turned down the Bills because it was a bad job and he had little leverage.

Right now he is what he is. Hes not terrible and hes not great. His offenses are pretty average. He does some things that are kind of unconventional but maybe with the right QB it would work. Thus far it hasnt, but Favre is the only QB he has had that you could make an argument had the talent to excel. Favre didnt buy in and neither of the two young coaches could get him to buy in at the time either. But the Jets likely wont be any better or worse overall with him gone right now. You might see more consistency on offense but the actual scoring likely would remain the same.

Archived