Mangold Back at Practice

flgreen

In the Nick of time

October, 5, 2011

Oct 5

1:56

PM ET

By Rich Cimini

It was a sight for the Jets' sore eyes: C Nick Mangold, the anchor of the offensive line, was back on the practice field Wednesday, working with the first-team line during the walk-through.

Technically, Mangold (high-ankle sprain) returned to practice last Friday, but he was very limited and took only a few reps. Chances are, he'll be limited Wednesday (we'll find out a little later), but the prosect of a full week of practice means there's a very good chance he will play Sunday against the Patriots. The beleaguered line needs him in the worst way.

In other practice news, WR Plaxico Burress and OLB Calvin Pace sat out with undisclosed injuries. For Burress, it could be hamstring tightness. He experienced soreness last week and missed a little practice time.

Good. Once he's back, so long as it's at full and complete health, the offense should be significantly better (IMO). If it isn't then there's the outside shot I join Schitty's future lynchers, I guess.

Is he also playing for Moore, and Hunter?

This is great news heading into our Patriots game. There is no doubt about it, that Nick Mangold and D'Brickashaw Ferguson are two of our most important players on the offensive side of the ball. Lose either Mangold or Ferguson, and our QB has no chance, our ground game becomes a laughing stock, and our entire offensive line falls apart. We're talking about an all-pro left tackle and an all-world center; these guys can't be replaced. These last two weeks have been living proof, especially against the Ravens.

Getting Nick Mangold means one thing and one thing only... We're getting the best overall center in today's game back. That alone will improve our entire offense. If Mangold can return? I can finally imagine Shonn Greene, LT and our run game starting to take over this game; especially with Mayo being out for quite some time. That's like the Jets being without David Harris.

With Nick Mangold on the verge of coming back? I'm finally confident that our offensive line will return to form. Slauson will benefit greatly, playing in the middle of two great offensive lineman. After a short offseason, and after 4 weeks of playing time, Moore should soon start to shake off the rust of offseason hip surgery. He's always been one hell of an offensive guard and I'm hopeful for Moore. As far as Hunter is concerned? That could be a problem, but still... Nick Mangold returning will give our offense a chance to destroy this awful NE defense.

He literally couldnt even run for more than 5 yards.

That doesn't stop CTM from playing for his offices softball team...

as far as Mangold is concerned I'm cautiously optimistic.. If he comes back too early and re-injures the ankle then the Jets aren't making the playoffs.. period.

Is he also playing for Moore, and Hunter?

No, but IMO the key to an OL is the LT-LG-C combo. Remember back in '07 when the Browns threw up 8th in PS and 6th in rushing average? They did it on the back of a top tier LT - LG - C combo (Thomas/Steinbach/Fraley)...My guess is that the LT is usually the team's best pass protector, the LG is usually the team's best road grader (besides Jahri Evans and Ben Grubbs), and a good C is usually the team's smartest OL.

And don't think having those three together won't help out the right side of an OL significantly...just that if an OL is top tier it's usually the left side that's getting the love.

Also, Mangold is really f'n good in general. I'd say regardless of position he's a top 5 OL in football.

You do all know that:

1) The Patriots lost their starting center for the season. Koppen is on IR.

2) They lost another seasoned vet to retirement.

3) They have a rookie starting at right tackle in place of an injured player.

Sound familiar?

You do all know that:

Sound familiar?

No. Nick Mangold, our starting center, isn't out for the season. He's actually on the verge of starting come Sunday.

You do all know that:

Sound familiar?

I think what you're insinuating is that there is a significant difference between Tom Brady being able to account for such problems, and Mark Sanchez's ability to do the same. And to tell you the truth, that just sounds crazy given Sanchez's potential.

You do all know that:

Sound familiar?

But was he the best center in the league ?

And is one of the replacements Wayne Hunter ?

And are they coached by Callahan ?

And have they played the Ravens as yet ?

Archived