Predictable Cimini Article is Predictable

stoicsentry

Cimini discusses just how good Revis has been this year, but only so he can insist that Revis will hold out again.... LOL

Compare Manish's article on Maybin to this Cimini article and you can see what these two beat writers are all about.

Link

We interrupt your bye-week Sunday to pay homage to the best cornerback in the NFL. Darrelle Revis isn't have a great season; he's having a one-for-the-ages season.

I wrote about it a week ago, and now Pro Football Focus has an in-depth article on Revis' performance -- specifically, a breakdown of the 10 receptions he has allowed.

Yeah, that's right, just 10 -- 10 receptions, no TDs allowed and a ridiculous 2.9 passer rating. At this rate, Revis not only will win NFL Defensive Player of the Year, but he might force them to re-name the award in his honor.

Those numbers would be mind-blowing if he were covering the opponents' third or fourth receiver, but Revis is covering the No. 1 receiver most of the time. He could wind up exceeding his 2009 performance, considered one of the best years for a cornerback in recent memory.

You can see where this is going, of course***. After the season, you can bet that Revis will want to return to the negotiating table. He's due to make $7.5 million in 2012, the third year of a four-year contract, and after averaging $16 million per year over 2010 and 2011 (including $25 million this season), it's hard to imagine him dropping down to $7.5 million.

But that's a soap opera for another day. For now, sit back and enjoy the show.

***yes Rich, of course we can see where it's going, because every article about players having great seasons automatically turns into a discussion of contract demands. LOL

Cimini is no doubt an always pessimistic douche, but Revis absolutely brought this upon himself. The guy held out twice in three years and then the day after signing his new contract, stated he would want another new contract after two years of his newly signed 4 year contract (which would be after this season). He's an amazing player and has reason to want to be paid the way he is, but he does a complete sh*t job of how he handles it, and opens himself up for this kind of talk.

But hey, in the case of Cimini just the fact that he's willing to admit what a ridiculously good season Revis is having certainly qualifies as progress for him.

Revis should never, ever, ever, ever step on the field unless he's getting paid as the top cornerback in the game, because that's exactly what he is. Go ask Terrell Thomas if he should have held out for s new deal this season.

Also, ask yourself why Tannenbaum would make the best corner in the game--by far--have to beg to be paid as such? Even the cheap-a$$ Steelers knew better than to drag Polamalu through the mud. Instead, they ripped up his deal and gave him a new one. Just because Tannenbaum likes to pretend that he's Monty Hall and tries to short-sheet every player he can doesn't mean he's in the right. Tannenbaum knew he signed Revis to a deal that guaranteed another holdout as long as Revis didn't blow up a knee. Now, he's gotta deal with it.

It'll be tons o' fun watching Tanny and his genius PR crew try to demonize the DPOY as he acts like he and Woody Johnson are the bereaved victims of evil capitalist thugs, especially after spending the better part of this off-season begging Asomugha to take $12-$14 mil per (long term) from them.

Maybe they can get Hard Knocks to come film them on a sullen journey to the Roscoe Diner again to get told that, no, in fact, Revis won't play a down for under market. Oh, the melodrama!

Revis should never, ever, ever, ever step on the field unless he's getting paid as the top cornerback in the game, because that's exactly what he is. Go ask Terrell Thomas if he should have held out for s new deal this season.

Also, ask yourself why Tannenbaum would make the best corner in the game--by far--have to beg to be paid as such? Even the cheap-a$$ Steelers knew better than to drag Polamalu through the mud. Instead, they ripped up his deal and gave him a new one. Just because Tannenbaum likes to pretend that he's Monty Hall and tries to short-sheet every player he can doesn't mean he's in the right. Tannenbaum knew he signed Revis to a deal that guaranteed another holdout as long as Revis didn't blow up a knee. Now, he's gotta deal with it.

It'll be tons o' fun watching Tanny and his genius PR crew try to demonize the DPOY as he acts like he and Woody Johnson are the bereaved victims of evil capitalist thugs, especially after spending the better part of this off-season begging Asomugha to take $12-$14 mil per (long term) from them.

Maybe they can get Hard Knocks to come film them on a sullen journey to the Roscoe Diner again to get told that, no, in fact, Revis won't play a down for under market. Oh, the melodrama!

It will be a little more easy to work a deal this winter, because the rules of FA are now known. The NFL has been hesitant to give out new contracts without knoiwing possible repercussions of how those deal;s ultimately would effect new salary caps in the future. That is known now.

Polamalu? He was signed AFTER the new CBA-entirely a different deal.

I, for one am happy that management looks to drive the best deal on players. It allows for other moves to be done with the club. It is a far better tactic, rather than blank checking has beens because of what they had done in the past, as former regimes had done.

There might be something to this if you hadn't already made it abundantly clear you have absolutely no objectivity whatsoever on this subject. Yeah yeah, we get it, you despise Tanny and try to blame him for everything that anyone associated with the Jets does. That's not to say that Tanny isn't to blame for his share of these contract issues, but he's not responsible for Revis acting like a complete a$$hole, which he has done repeatedly.

Whether or not he deserves to be paid more doesn't change the fact that he has repeatedly handled it in the worst way imaginable. Name me one other player in league history who has failed to even honor more than half of a contract at any point in his career. Frankly, at this point I don't give a **** as long as the guy is on the field, and in shape, on opening day. Unfortunately the past has shown that neither of those are a given.

I think both parties expected this deal to be renegatiated after this season. It was always a two year deal. The Jets will be happy to do it.

You're probably right, but when you start threatening a holdout the day after signing that deal, it shows what an enormous a$$hole you are. I would imagine the Jets knew they would have to redo the deal this offseason, knowing it wasn't going to keep Revis happy, I just don't think they expected the threat of a holdout a couple of years before they even had the opportunity to discuss it.

There might be something to this if you hadn't already made it abundantly clear you have absolutely no objectivity whatsoever on this subject. Yeah yeah, we get it, you despise Tanny and try to blame him for everything that anyone associated with the Jets does. That's not to say that Tanny isn't to blame for his share of these contract issues, but he's not responsible for Revis acting like a complete a$$hole, which he has done repeatedly.

Whether or not he deserves to be paid more doesn't change the fact that he has repeatedly handled it in the worst way imaginable. Name me one other player in league history who has failed to even honor more than half of a contract at any point in his career. Frankly, at this point I don't give a **** as long as the guy is on the field, and in shape, on opening day. Unfortunately the past has shown that neither of those are a given.

I think JN should host a fundraising event for some worthy awareness campaign where everyone gets to donate money to fistfight TomGayne's face. If you thought his tattoo chest bet was a success, just wait.

That's not to say that Tanny isn't to blame for his share of these contract issues, but he's not responsible for Revis acting like a complete a$$hole, which he has done repeatedly.

I'm not going to rehash the whole Revis debate, hopefully we have a chance to address it in the offseason.... :D

But Tannenbaum and the Jets are responsible for Revis' first holdout. They forced an extra year down his throat when no one drafted in the same part of the draft had a deal that long. Revis held out on that principle alone. If Tanny had just offered a slotted deal of the appropriate length, he would've gotten Revis in on time. And, as a result, there might've been more trust between the two parties. Revis certainly got an early distaste for the business side of football. Not to say that a smooth rookie deal would've prevented his latest holdout, but that initial dealing probably didn't do anything to help the situation, either.

Regardless of my feelings on Tannenbaum, no player of Revis' caliber should ever step on the field without every penny of his market value secured first.

I'm not going to rehash the whole Revis debate, hopefully we have a chance to address it in the offseason.... :biggrin:

But Tannenbaum and the Jets are responsible for Revis' first holdout. They forced an extra year down his throat when no one drafted in the same part of the draft had a deal that long. Revis held out on that principle alone. If Tanny had just offered a slotted deal of the appropriate length, he would've gotten Revis in on time. And, as a result, there might've been more trust between the two parties. Revis certainly got an early distaste for the business side of football. Not to say that a smooth rookie deal would've prevented his latest holdout, but that initial dealing probably didn't do anything to help the situation, either.

You play for what you sign for. No one gets "forced" anything down their throats in a contract. They are all negotiable points. If Revis did not like it upfront, don't sign it. It is that simple. That is the leverage that he has.

Each contract is different and unique. They do not work off of past contracts, to satisfy what may have been left on the table, or what should have been negotiated. That is not how it works.

I'm not going to rehash the whole Revis debate, hopefully we have a chance to address it in the offseason.... :biggrin:

I won't disagree with the Jets hand in the first holdout, but that said based on our prior conversations you also know my opinion is that given how ridiculously overvalued Revis' rookie contract was because of what it cost them to get that 6th year, it made holdout #2 after 3 years that much more ridiculous.

Honestly, nothing would make me more happy than the offseason starting with a new Revis deal and us not hearing another word about it, but that doesn't mean his own actions and words aren't to blame for the perception out there, because the truth is, if that new deal doesn't come before OTAs start, he probably will be holding out once again.

I won't disagree with the Jets hand in the first holdout, but that said based on our prior conversations you also know my opinion is that given how ridiculously overvalued Revis' rookie contract was because of what it cost them to get that 6th year, it made holdout #2 after 3 years that much more ridiculous.

Honestly, nothing would make me more happy than the offseason starting with a new Revis deal and us not hearing another word about it, but that doesn't mean his own actions and words aren't to blame for the perception out there, because the truth is, if that new deal doesn't come before OTAs start, he probably will be holding out once again.

I agree with the contract value. Tannenbaum screwed himself in those negotiations every which way. And now the player that he tried to strong-arm into a rookie deal he didn't want is frequently discussed as possibly the best player in the NFL - and he wants to be paid like it. Sucks to be Mr. T.

I don't know if he could've prevented Revis' last holdout (probably not), but a little trust built up in that rookie negotiation couldn't've hurt, and might've lead to a quicker resolution.

I agree with the contract value. Tannenbaum screwed himself in those negotiations every which way. And now the player that he tried to strong-arm into a rookie deal he didn't want is frequently discussed as possibly the best player in the NFL - and he wants to be paid like it. Sucks to be Mr. T.

I don't know if he could've prevented Revis' last holdout (probably not), but a little trust built up in that rookie negotiation couldn't've hurt, and might've lead to a quicker resolution.

I think that's probably a fair point, and as much as you know it annoyed the crap out of me, I also know there are a lot of different circumstances that surrounded that situation unfolding as it did, beyond just Revis. The CBA situation certainly did nothing to help the negotiations, and as such I can't imagine any future negotiations possibly getting dragged out the way those were. That said, Revis also didn't help it by wanting his entire contract value being based around one ridiculously over-inflated final year of Asomugha's retarded Raiders deal. And of course, that's not to say the Jets didn't have their hand in the whole situation (and I do agree they made their bed with his rookie year situation in insisting on the 6th year).

That said, I have no doubt there's a lot less difficult means Revis could handle the situation that would avoid him getting painted the way he does, considering he's already being accused of a future holdout 8 months in advance, and he can't even really say much about that considering it's based on his own threats. I think in the end, pretty much all sides involved have screwed up repeatedly in how they've handled his contract situation, and made it about as painful as possible, but most of all.... Sean Gilbert

needs to go **** himself.

I think in the end, pretty much all sides involved have screwed up repeatedly in how they've handled his contract situation

I think they've handled it great. Revis got paid for a sixth-year option that was never going to be exercised and holdout protection that doesn't actually prevent holdouts, and Tannenbaum got paid for producing illusory results.

Except he is the highest paid corner in the NFL. Technically Revis received a 3 year contract extension worth $15.15M per year with essentially 31.5M in guarantees. If you want to throw the voided years into the mix the new deal would be a 1 year 25M extension with the Jets guaranteeing an additional 11.8M to get that extra season.

Its just not even close to the other players. Aso makes 12M a year with 25M in guarantees. His 3 year payout is 36M and it will likely reduce to 33M. Joseph makes 9.75M with 32.75M coming in the first three years of the deal. Champ Bailey makes 10.75M a year.

Im just not sure what else he can ask for. About the only leg he would have to stand on is that his overall deal averages 11.5M on the 4 years, but nobody values contracts like that in the NFL. He had a year left at 550K. He was stuck into that deal. When you get a new one the only value that goes into it is the new money in the contract. The Jet also have huge amounts of leverage in the deal. He can lose up to 3M a year by holding out. He loses freedom after 2013 by holding out. He has so much to lose if he held out this time around.

I think they've handled it great. Revis got paid for a sixth-year option that was never going to be exercised and holdout protection that doesn't actually prevent holdouts, and Tannenbaum got paid for producing illusory results.

The 1990's version of me (actually, any version of me) would have loved 2 "illusory" AFC Championship appearances.

Except he is the highest paid corner in the NFL. Technically Revis received a 3 year contract extension worth $15.15M per year with essentially 31.5M in guarantees. If you want to throw the voided years into the mix the new deal would be a 1 year 25M extension with the Jets guaranteeing an additional 11.8M to get that extra season.

Its just not even close to the other players. Aso makes 12M a year with 25M in guarantees. His 3 year payout is 36M and it will likely reduce to 33M. Joseph makes 9.75M with 32.75M coming in the first three years of the deal. Champ Bailey makes 10.75M a year.

Im just not sure what else he can ask for. About the only leg he would have to stand on is that his overall deal averages 11.5M on the 4 years, but nobody values contracts like that in the NFL. He had a year left at 550K. He was stuck into that deal. When you get a new one the only value that goes into it is the new money in the contract. The Jet also have huge amounts of leverage in the deal. He can lose up to 3M a year by holding out. He loses freedom after 2013 by holding out. He has so much to lose if he held out this time around.

Awesome summation-thanks!

The 1990's version of me (actually, any version of me) would have loved 2 "illusory" AFC Championship appearances.

I don't suppose there's any chance that some version of you is an adult that understands why that's a stupid argument.

Great breakdown and info, as always. It would seem that Revis and Schwartz and Feinsod would almost prefer to go the Deion Sanders mercenary route, where Revis signs several de facto 2 year, front-loaded deals as opposed to spending any time on the field playing for anything less than cash up front. I don't know how smart that is overall, but I can't blame the guy for not putting any faith in future paydays.

Btw, if you were a GM and you saw this inevitable Revis holdout coming, would you consider just tearing up the current deal knowing he's not going to play for the projected dollar values? Curious as to your philosophy/opinion on this type of stuff.

Great breakdown and info, as always. It would seem that Revis and Schwartz and Feinsod would almost prefer to go the Deion Sanders mercenary route, where Revis signs several de facto 2 year, front-loaded deals as opposed to spending any time on the field playing for anything less than cash up front. I don't know how smart that is overall, but I can't blame the guy for not putting any faith in future paydays.

Btw, if you were a GM and you saw this inevitable Revis holdout coming, would you consider just tearing up the current deal knowing he's not going to play for the projected dollar values? Curious as to your philosophy/opinion on this type of stuff.

It would be a high stakes game of chicken in this case. If I were the Jets Id stand firm on the current deal at least through 2012. You cant set a precedent that everytime there is a good season that you give a guy a raise. You would have Mangold and Ferguson knocking at the door in about 10 seconds if the Jets did that with Revis. Revis has nowhere to go and the Jets cant cut him because of the high cap charges so both sides are stuck with one another. Revis has more to lose than the Jets and Id put my faith in him realizing it. At worst the Jets have themselves a Carson Palmer situation- having a high priced desirable guy on the roster. He stand to lose million of dollars in a holdout. Imagine if he held out and has to now honor those 3 years at $9 million total. Hed probably make 40-45 million in that same time if he never held out. Thats a huge gamble by him that I would not think he is willing to take. Im also unsure if they changed rules with option bonuses. He could be in a position to forfeit money by sitting out.

From the team perspective I also look at it and have to see where my team is without him. Since he has played at the highest levels they were 9-7 and 11-5 and he was pretty much ineffective for half of the 11 win season. Right now the Jets look like an 8 or 9 win team. Hes a big difference maker in the playoffs but if they arent there what difference does he make. Im not sure at what point the team can absorb the cap hit of cutting him, but if he looks like he will be a headache Id find a team like the Raiders that will pay a kings ransom for him and use those draft picks to find a QB.

From the team perspective I also look at it and have to see where my team is without him. Since he has played at the highest levels they were 9-7 and 11-5 and he was pretty much ineffective for half of the 11 win season. Right now the Jets look like an 8 or 9 win team. Hes a big difference maker in the playoffs but if they arent there what difference does he make. Im not sure at what point the team can absorb the cap hit of cutting him, but if he looks like he will be a headache Id find a team like the Raiders that will pay a kings ransom for him and use those draft picks to find a QB.

Why? We have a young franchise QB. He's improving every year.

Also think you're way off if you think this team is ready for re-building mode. We are perennial contenders right now with a ton of young talent.

It would be a high stakes game of chicken in this case. If I were the Jets Id stand firm on the current deal at least through 2012. You cant set a precedent that everytime there is a good season that you give a guy a raise. You would have Mangold and Ferguson knocking at the door in about 10 seconds if the Jets did that with Revis. Revis has nowhere to go and the Jets cant cut him because of the high cap charges so both sides are stuck with one another. Revis has more to lose than the Jets and Id put my faith in him realizing it. At worst the Jets have themselves a Carson Palmer situation- having a high priced desirable guy on the roster. He stand to lose million of dollars in a holdout. Imagine if he held out and has to now honor those 3 years at $9 million total. Hed probably make 40-45 million in that same time if he never held out. Thats a huge gamble by him that I would not think he is willing to take. Im also unsure if they changed rules with option bonuses. He could be in a position to forfeit money by sitting out.

I agree with this in principle, but I can't remember the last GM (other than godforsaken Cincinnati) that was forced to trade its best player because it couldn't figure out how to pay him. Letting them walk as free agents is one thing, but letting a top-10 player shoot his way out of town because he's calling your bluff on a convoluted contract structure that was guaranteed to fail would have to be a huge black mark on Tannenbaum's resume. I think at the end of the day, they'll have to concede and just keep handing him two-year deals until he blows out a knee. If Mangold walks in your office, you tell him that when he gets to be a top-ten player overall in the league, you'll re-do his deal. If Brick walks in, you just laugh at him, IMO. You've gotta treat the great-great player differently. Screwing around on Revis will make the Jets look small-time (again).

Archived