Paterno FINALLY retiring in 3....2....1.....

Bugg

Talk about "lack of institutional controls". Seems the outraged old fat white sportwriters guild cannot fathom how "doing things right" encompasses perjury and enabling a monsterous pedophile. From today's NY Times-

November 5, 2011

Former Coach at Penn State Is Charged With Abuse

By MARK VIERA

A former defensive coordinator for the Penn State football team was arrested Saturday on charges of sexually abusing eight boys across a 15-year period. Jerry Sandusky, 67, who had worked with needy children through his Second Mile foundation, was arraigned and released on $100,000 bail after being charged with 40 counts related to sexual abuse of young boys.

Two top university officials — Gary Schultz, the senior vice president for finance and business, and Tim Curley, the athletic director — were also charged Saturday with perjury and failure to report to authorities what they knew of the allegations.

“This is a case about a sexual predator who used his position within the university and community to repeatedly prey on young boys,” the Pennsylvania attorney general, Linda Kelly, said in a statement.

Mr. Sandusky was an assistant defensive coach to the legendary Joe Paterno, the coach with the most career victories in major college football, who helped propel Penn State to the top tiers of the sport. Until now, the Big Ten university had one of the most sterling images in college sports, largely thanks to Mr. Paterno and his success in 46 seasons as head coach.

A grand jury said that when Mr. Paterno learned of one allegation of abuse in 2002, he immediately reported it to Mr. Curley. The grand jury did not implicate Mr. Paterno in any wrongdoing, though it was not clear if he ever followed up on his initial conversation with Mr. Curley or attempted to alert the authorities himself.

Mr. Sandusky’s lawyer said his client had disputed the allegations that prompted a three-year investigation.

“He has denied the allegations from the outset,” Joseph Amendola, Mr. Sandusky’s lawyer, said in a telephone interview Saturday. “We know the allegations were out there, but we didn’t know what the allegations were. Jerry has mentioned his innocence, and once we are able to go through this, we’ll have more specific responses.”

The grand jury found that Mr. Curley and Mr. Schultz provided false testimony in discussing their response to the 2002 incident. It further found that Mr. Curley committed perjury in repeatedly denying that he had been told that Mr. Sandusky had engaged in sexual misconduct with a child.

The university president, Graham B. Spanier, who the grand jury said had been made aware of the 2002 incident, stood behind the two officials in a statement Saturday.

“I have known and worked daily with Tim and Gary for more than 16 years,” Mr. Spanier said in a statement. “I have complete confidence in how they have handled the allegations about a former university employee.”

The grand jury’s report stated that the eight boys were singled out for sexual advances or sexual assaults by Mr. Sandusky between 1994 and 2009. All of the alleged victims first encountered him through activities related to Second Mile, a foundation for needy children which he founded in 1977. Mr. Sandusky retired from daily involvement with the Second Mile last fall.

“Through the Second Mile, Sandusky had access to hundreds of boys, many of whom were vulnerable due to their social situations,” the grand jury said in its report.

According to the grand jury, the assaults occurred in a variety of locations — Penn State football facilities, Mr. Sandusky’s home, a high school, a golf resort near the university’s State College campus — and none of the boys were thought to be older than 13 when they occurred. The grand jury report also detailed the boys’ access to the Penn State football team; Mr. Sandusky retained access to many athletic facilities even after his retirement in 1999 and had an office in the Lasch Football Building on campus.

According to the report, Mr. Sandusky brought one boy to San Antonio for the 1999 Alamo Bowl, but threatened to send him home when the boy resisted his sexual advances. Mr. Sandusky reportedly guaranteed that boy that he could walk on to Penn State’s football team, and the boy was shown in a photograph with him that appeared in the magazine Sports Illustrated. Another boy attended as many as 15 football games as Mr. Sandusky’s guest; Mr. Sandusky brought him into a shower on campus and made the boy touch his genitals, the grand jury said. Mr. Sandusky placed his hands down the pants of another boy who attended coaches’ meetings and spent the night at his house before home games, the grand jury said.

According to the attorney general’s office, a graduate assistant for the team alerted Mr. Paterno in 2002 that he had seen Mr. Sandusky sexually assaulting a boy in the shower at the Lasch Football Building on the Penn State campus. The graduate student told the grand jury he went to Mr. Paterno’s home the next day and described what he had seen. Mr. Paterno, in turn, told Mr. Curley.

About a week and a half later, Mr. Curley and Mr. Schultz met with the graduate assistant, then told Mr. Sandusky that he could not bring any children from the Second Mile into the football building. But the university officials did not alert law enforcement, as required by state law, Ms. Kelly said.

Mr. Schultz testified to the grand jury that there was a similar incident involving a young boy in the football shower with Mr. Sandusky in 1998. Mr. Schultz, whose position includes oversight of the university police, testified that he did not know that the university police produced a lengthy report about the 1998 incident.

The grand jury found the assertions by Mr. Schultz that the 2002 allegations were “not that serious” and that he and Mr. Curley “had no indication that a crime had occurred” contradicted other testimony. The grand jury report also said that no one from the university sought to learn the identity of the child involved or the specifics of what the graduate assistant had seen that night in the locker room.

Mr. Curley and Mr. Schultz were each charged with one count of perjury, a third-degree felony punishable by up to seven years in prison and a $15,000 fine, in addition to failure to report. Lawyers for Mr. Curley and Mr. Schultz released statements proclaiming their clients’ innocence.

The grand jury report concluded with an incident that occurred in 2000, during a week when the Nittany Lions were away from campus for a game. Late at night, a janitor cleaning the Lasch Football Building said he observed Mr. Sandusky performing oral sex on a boy in a shower, the grand jury said. Another worker that night found the shaken janitor, who then described what he had seen in the shower.

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Paterno knew. And still did practically nothing. He could have called the cops, but no. He only told the AD. He's an eanbling POS. May be because he's old and infirn and a figurehead. Or may be because he figured he could keep it under the rug. But may be he thoguht that because he is Joe Paterno no one in Pennslyvania would dare indict him.

In New York as a coach of as low as a little league baseball, CYO basketball, Pee Wee hockey or Pop Warner football you are required to take a class about issues like this. And further you are mandated by law to contact the police if you become aware of sexual abuse in your program. Instead Paterno contacted his AD, whcih is a dodge. He should rot in hell.

Paterno knew. And still did practically nothing. He could have called the cops, but no. He only told the AD. He's an eanbling POS. May be because he's old and infirn and a figurehead. Or may be because he figured he could keep it under the rug. But may be he thoguht that because he is Joe Paterno no one in Pennslyvania would dare indict him.

In New York as a coach of as low as a little league baseball, CYO basketball, Pee Wee hockey or Pop Warner football you are required to take a class about issues like this. And further you are mandated by law to contact the police if you become aware of sexual abuse in your program. Instead Paterno contacted his AD, whcih is a dodge. He should rot in hell.

Oh yeah, everyone is falling on swords right now to keep JoePa's image. But, in the end, he definitely knew, and he turned the other cheek, choosing his friend and the school's image over a few children. Indefensible. He should tell everyone one of those kids after the first one, why he allowed this to happen to them.

Yep....the I believe th Christ the King bball coach was a kid toucher as well. Just disgusting...I cant even read this stuff. I cant believe these people exist.

Paterno never wondered what happened to his former coach who was caught fudge packing in his football teams showers?

Paterno never wondered what happened to his former coach who was caught fudge packing in his football teams showers?

Penn. law is that he is also a mandated reporter. Yet he allowed this bastard access to the offices, and even allowed him to use Penn State facilities for overnight athelitc camps fr kids. And he promoted the assistant who told him about the rape of the little boy.

If his name was not Joe Paterno and he was not 80+ years old Joe Paterno would be under indictment.

Penn State cleanup must involve Paterno

jasonWhitlock_20091212205120_0_0.JPG

There should be no surprise that protecting Joe Paterno, Penn State, Happy Valley and Linebacker U — profit-generating institutions at the core of big-time college athletics’ amateur myth — appears to have taken precedence over the protection of children.

It’s the era we live in. Institutions are valued more than human beings.

Safeguarding JoPa, marketing and exploiting his march to victory 409, appears to have been more important than exposing allegations against longtime defensive coordinator Jerry Sandusky, charged with sexually abusing teenage boys.

Let’s not ignore the timing of the release of the grotesque and shocking grand jury report/indictments, conveniently revealed a week after Paterno surpassed Grambling’s Eddie Robinson on the all-time wins list. A two-year investigation wrapped up just as JoePa placed a bow on his legacy and 11 months after Paterno testified in front of the grand jury examining Sandusky’s alleged two decades of heinous perversion.

Coincidence? Not in my eyes.

No one involved in the tragic handling of the allegations against Sandusky is worthy of sympathy and benefit of doubt without first answering some very direct and serious questions.

A former coach has been charged with abusing eight minors. Greg Couch asks: How could school officials let this happen?

Not Paterno. Not Mike McQueary, the graduate assistant-turned-recruiting coordinator who reportedly witnessed Sandusky rape a young boy in the Penn State locker room in 2002. Not Tim Curley and Gary Schultz, the former Penn State administrators accused of covering up the 2002 rape. Not Penn State president Graham Spanier. And not anyone involved in the rug-swept 1998 investigation into allegations of sexually criminal behavior against Sandusky that might have played some role in Sandusky’s abrupt 1999 retirement and self-admitted realization he’d never be Paterno’s successor.

Until questions are answered thoroughly and forthrightly, all of these people, including the people rationalizing Paterno’s weak actions upon hearing about the 2002 incident, are guilty of valuing the JoePa myth more than the reality of the vulnerability and preciousness of human life.

Four hundred and nine victories at what cost?

If there is an ounce of dignity left in Paterno’s vain and delusional 84-year-old body, he will step down from his throne today. His written excuse is preposterous.

“If true, the nature and amount of charges made are very shocking to me and all Penn Staters,” Paterno said in a statement. “While I did what I was supposed to with the one charge brought to my attention, like anyone else involved I can’t help but be deeply saddened these matters are alleged to have occurred. . . . If this is true, we were fooled, along with scores of professionals trained in such things, and we grieve for the victims and their families. They are in our prayers.

“As my grand jury testimony stated, I was informed in 2002 by an assistant coach that he had witnessed an incident in the shower of our locker room facility. It was obvious that the witness was distraught over what he saw, but he at no time related to me the very specific actions contained in the Grand Jury report. Regardless, it was clear that the witness saw something inappropriate involving Mr. Sandusky. As Coach Sandusky was retired from our coaching staff at that time, I referred the matter to university administrators.”

At age 75, Paterno sought plausible deniability from the allegations of criminal behavior inside the Penn State locker room of his 30-year employee. Rather than immediately demand that Sandusky appear and explain himself, the world-famous molder of men passed the responsibility along to the athletic director, who has far less real power than Paterno. Paterno could have done a helluva lot more. Rather than call the police, Paterno seemingly gathered as little information as possible and slipped back into his JoePa facade.

Witnessing this cowardice and hypocrisy, it appears, made Mike McQueary want to be a Joe Paterno assistant coach for the next decade. I don’t understand McQueary, a former Penn State quarterback, at all. He allegedly saw a naked old man raping a naked young boy, and McQueary ran out of the locker room. He took no action to protect the boy? McQueary is at least 30 years younger than Sandusky. Coaching is supposed to be about helping young people develop.

But money and fame have perverted the profession. It’s now an occupation to pleasure vanity. Joe Paterno should’ve retired 20 years ago. His ego wouldn’t allow it. Dean Smith, the far more self-aware basketball version of Paterno, retired at age 66. But coach Smith owned the Division I record for victories when he retired. North Carolina didn’t need to prop him up for a decade so he could surpass Adolph Rupp.

There should be an asterisk next to JoPa’s 409 victories. And if not an asterisk, at least a dollar sign, America’s favorite religious symbol, our justification for valuing institutions more than human beings.

Penn. law is that he is also a mandated reporter. Yet he allowed this bastard access to the offices, and even allowed him to use Penn State facilities for overnight athelitc camps fr kids. And he promoted the assistant who told him about the rape of the little boy.

If his name was not Joe Paterno and he was not 80+ years old Joe Paterno would be under indictment.

Bugg, nothing stirs you up more than a scandal with all the details not being totally clear ;).

Paterno DID report what he had been told to his superiors. The questions that are begged:

-What was he told.

-Why wasn't there follow up on his part if what he was told was very serious.

-You imply that there was a "rape" in that shower-I had not seen that reported in the grand jury testimony

Paterno, “If true, the nature and amount of charges made are very shocking to me and all Penn Staters,”. I call BS.

You worked with the guy for over 30 years. How does something like that not process into your brain? I feel bad for all those kids. Everyone in that organization should be disgraced for the way they handled this situation.

Paterno, “If true, the nature and amount of charges made are very shocking to me and all Penn Staters,”. I call BS.

You worked with the guy for over 30 years. How does something like that not process into your brain? I feel bad for all those kids. Everyone in that organization should be disgraced for the way they handled this situation.

The first accounting of any "contact" is around 1998. Sandusky retired in 1999.

The shower incidence occurred in 2002.

Who know how long this had ben going on, and the reports are horrible. Chances are, more info will come out, as this is brought to light, and that will tell who knew what when, and how much they knew. That is critical

Paterno DID report what he had been told to his superiors.

If a criminal act is witnessed - especially one as heinous as sexual contact between an adult and a minor - it should be reported to the authorities directly, not up the "chain-of-command" in the athletic department ... one in which, as Whitlock pointed out, Joe Paterno has far more clout than the AD.

I can sort of understand McQueary's logic at the time in going to Paterno first, but his silence following the subsequent lack of response is equally inexcusable.

If a criminal act is witnessed - especially one as heinous as sexual contact between an adult and a minor - it should be reported to the authorities directly, not up the "chain-of-command" in the athletic department ... one in which, as Whitlock pointed out, Joe Paterno has far more clout than the AD.

I can sort of understand McQueary's logic at the time in going to Paterno first, but his silence following the subsequent lack of response is equally inexcusable.

That is undeniable. How much did Joe know, and what was passed along. These are all things that have to surface.

The Centre County DA had previously declined to offer indictments against Sandusky. That DA (Gricar) is missing and presumed dead. That Sandusky was not nabbed then, is truly a shame

Who know how long this had ben going on, and the reports are horrible. Chances are, more info will come out, as this is brought to light, and that will tell who knew what when, and how much they knew. That is critical

True, but just hearing how PSU handled the situation is pretty embarrassing by itself.

He retired as an employee of the school, but was still granted access to the facilities to perform his depraved acts. They're all complicit at some level.

On another note, the title of his autobiography should've been a dead giveaway. For a moment, I thought it was a perverse joke before confirming it to be legit:

sandusky_cover_340.jpg

True, but just hearing how PSU handled the situation is pretty embarrassing by itself.

It absolutely is, and Graham Spanier should be implicated also.

Paterno would be served to tell his story of what he knew, when he knew it, what he did with the information, and what he was told in response.

Not sure how much he is bound to silence by the Grand Jury at this point, but everyone does deserve the ability to tell their side.

Indictments of personalities in the court of public opinion aren't always the fairest, absent facts.

On the whole, it is damning to the entire program, and Joe also, but everyone deserves to tell their part of telling their side.

It absolutely is, and Graham Spanier should be implicated also. Paterno would be served to tell his story of what he knew, when he knew it, what he did with the information, and what he was told in response. Not sure how much he is bound to silence by the Grand Jury at this point, but everyone does deserve the ability to tell their side. Indictments of personalities in the court of public opinion aren't always the fairest, absent facts. On the whole, it is damning to the entire program, and Joe also, but everyone deserves to tell their part of telling their side.

Bottom line is that Paterno (admittedly) failed to report a known instance of sexual abuse against a minor to the authorities (his AD doesn't count), which is a 1st degree misdemeanor in Ohio, given the circumstances (physical/mental wounds and Sandusky being in a supervisory position over the victim).

It absolutely is, and Graham Spanier should be implicated also.

Paterno would be served to tell his story of what he knew, when he knew it, what he did with the information, and what he was told in response.

Not sure how much he is bound to silence by the Grand Jury at this point, but everyone does deserve the ability to tell their side.

Indictments of personalities in the court of public opinion aren't always the fairest, absent facts.

On the whole, it is damning to the entire program, and Joe also, but everyone deserves to tell their part of telling their side.

Agreed. The real story will come out and everyone will get the state their sides. I'm not gonna jump down anyones throats like some people did in the duke case. Although this story has a lot more depth and history then the Duke one.

Bottom line is that Paterno (admittedly) failed to report a known instance of sexual abuse against a minor to the authorities (his AD doesn't count), which is a 1st degree misdemeanor in Ohio, given the circumstances (physical/mental wounds and Sandusky being in a supervisory position over the victim).

Joe needs to come clean on what he was told, and what he did with that information. No denying that.

Here's the top negative review for Sandusky's book on Amazon:

Mr. Sandusky is both a genius and a narcissist, which makes him the perfect predator. At no time was his narcissim more apparent then when he titled his book "Touched". I guarantee this coward will "off" himself, before he ever spends a day with the general prison population. I, for one, would like to see him spend the rest of his life locked up with the general prison population; then, perhaps he can write the sequel entitled "Touched II: Predator Becomes Prey".

Archived