Paterno FINALLY retiring in 3....2....1.....

Bugg

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bugg, nothing stirs you up more than a scandal with all the details not being totally clear ;).

Paterno DID report what he had been told to his superiors. The questions that are begged:

-What was he told.

-Why wasn't there follow up on his part if what he was told was very serious.

-You imply that there was a "rape" in that shower-I had not seen that reported in the grand jury testimony

As a fellow PSU alum and a staunch fan of JoPa, I have some serious questions here. McQueary may not have seen a "rape", but what is on record is he heard sounds coming from the shower that he felt sounded like people having sexual relations. It did not, however, state what he actually saw other than Sandusky and a little boy naked in the shower. McQueary called his father who promptly told him to report it to Paterno. Paterno immediately called the AD and had him over his house with McQueary to report the findings. That is all that is on record.

OK, so basically from the point JoPa reported the incident to the AD he essentially did nothing since. That's where I take issue. Did he not continually inquire to the AD's findings and action? Did the AD tell him that it was all a misunderstanding and they handled it internally? To me, whenever there is an allegation of child molestation, the authorities need to be brought in. Period. If any part you played in the situation led to or agreed to not bring in the authorities then you are morally complicit in my opinion.

OK, so basically from the point JoPa reported the incident to the AD he essentially did nothing since. That's where I take issue. Did he not continually inquire to the AD's findings and action? Did the AD tell him that it was all a misunderstanding and they handled it internally?

Of course he didn't inquire. He passed the buck to the AD and washed his hands of the whole matter.

If any part you played in the situation led to or agreed to not bring in the authorities then you are morally complicit in my opinion.

Not just morally... failure to report something of this nature to the authorities is absolutely a criminal offense in the state of Ohio (and most states, for that matter).

Of course he didn't inquire. He passed the buck to the AD and washed his hands of the whole matter.

Not just morally... failure to report something of this nature to the authorities is absolutely a criminal offense in the state of Ohio (and most states, for that matter).

Exactly. What a way to ruin a career. All I'll ever think of about JoPa when I hear that name for the rest of my life will be that he essentially allowed his creepy weirdo friend fondle children basically right in front of his face and he did nothing about it.

What, campus police doesn't count as proper authorities?? jk

Not PA. He didn't break any laws with the current evidence. In PA, evidence of abuse or sexual misconduct must be reported to management. In this case JoPa satisfied the legal requirements. As I said, doesn't seem likehe satisfied a moral requirement, but he did follow the law.

Not PA. He didn't break any laws with the current evidence. In PA, evidence of abuse or sexual misconduct must be reported to management. In this case JoPa satisfied the legal requirements. As I said, doesn't seem likehe satisfied a moral requirement, but he did follow the law.

Wait, so Penn State isn't in Ohio? Lol, I'm a dope and got my wires crossed when I was reading about the missing girl in Ohio who is 24 with the mental capacity of an 8-year old and posted their laws instead.

Uplifting stuff that news, isn't it?

The odd thing is that Paterno was actually "praised" by the grand jury.

It makes you wonder if there are things that we do not know yet?

This is what's making me go "Hmm." If JoePa had any inkling, and didn't report, than why didn't authorities go after him too? I don't want to throw any reason into the fray, but maybe we don't know everything prudent and perhaps we shouldn't be so quick to throw the "Pedophile Protector" blanket over Paterno just yet? If he is culpable, then by all means, hang him. But I don't think this prosecutor really gives a rats a$$ who JoePa is - she's out to kick a$$! So let's see.

Quite honestly, I have a serious issue with McQueary. I actually saw him crying at Baby's once after a game, mostly because he was sucking up the joint as a QB. Only reason I bring this up is because I remember thinking at the time man what a pu$$y! So, fast forward to the incident. He heard "sounds of a sexual nature" coming from the shower, went to investigate, saw Sandusky showering naked with a 10 year old boy (possibly he actually saw a sexual act taking place), and opted to run out the back door to call his father? He physically witnessed a highly inappropriate moment at the least, and potentially rape at the worst end of the spectrum. All of those would compel a moral human being to at least intervene and tell the boy to go home, to potentially killing the old man. But to leave that building and leave that child alone with Sandusky was a crime, at least in my opinion.

Quite honestly, I have a serious issue with McQueary. I actually saw him crying at Baby's once after a game, mostly because he was sucking up the joint as a QB. Only reason I bring this up is because I remember thinking at the time man what a pu$$y! So, fast forward to the incident. He heard "sounds of a sexual nature" coming from the shower, went to investigate, saw Sandusky showering naked with a 10 year old boy (possibly he actually saw a sexual act taking place), and opted to run out the back door to call his father? He physically witnessed a highly inappropriate moment at the least, and potentially rape at the worst end of the spectrum. All of those would compel a moral human being to at least intervene and tell the boy to go home, to potentially killing the old man. But to leave that building and leave that child alone with Sandusky was a crime, at least in my opinion.

I have never had much use for McQueary, and Joe seems to question his need on the sidelines.

The conspiracy theorist will tell you that he has been given a high profile job, in order to keep quiet

Makes you wonder. While I don't believe that myself, there are those that will put pieces like this together, and that is what happens if you do not have full disclosure.

Wow, talk about sketchy.

Trust me on this-Centre County officials, when they have a chance absolutely pounce on an opportunity to make a name for themselves.

Just don't know on this one.

And how about the charity-They allowed Sandusky to stay on after hearing some disturbing allegations as well.

Full disclosure is needed from everyone

I have never had much use for McQueary, and Joe seems to question his need on the sidelines.

The conspiracy theorist will tell you that he has been given a high profile job, in order to keep quiet

Makes you wonder. While I don't believe that myself, there are those that will put pieces like this together, and that is what happens if you do not have full disclosure.

Indeed. The only way IMO that Joe can come out of this is to come clean, tell the truth, and have a very, VERY damn good story.

To be fair though, how manly would you act if you were born with the last name McQueary?

Trust me on this-Centre County officials, when they have a chance absolutely pounce on an opportunity to make a name for themselves.

Just don't know on this one.

And how about the charity-They allowed Sandusky to stay on after hearing some disturbing allegations as well.

Full disclosure is needed from everyone

If the glove doesn't fit, you must acquit.

Indeed. The only way IMO that Joe can come out of this is to come clean, tell the truth, and have a very, VERY damn good story.

A reporter went to McQueary's house yesterday (he lives in State College) and he of course provided no comment, other than to state that there is a whole lot there needs to come out yet.

Paterno needs to be held to a higher level than any normal citizen. It is what he says he demands of his players.

What did he know, and when and what did he do about it?

Spanier to me has always been a shady character. I do not trust the man's motives.

Remember when they tried to force Joe out a few years ago? Wonder what that conversation was constructed as?

On the other side, Paterno should have seen these indictments coming years ago. There were rumors and such. Why did he not get out when he could, and do it fairly cleanly? Why did he stick around for this mess? It all does not seem to add up.

In other news today, Curley and Shultz were let go on 75k bail. Sanduskey had 100k bail. WTF?

On the other side, Paterno should have seen these indictments coming years ago. There were rumors and such. Why did he not get out when he could, and do it fairly cleanly? Why did he stick around for this mess? It all does not seem to add up.

Of course it adds up... to the number 409.

Of course it adds up... to the number 409.

JH-If I were to believe that, the man has fooled me and many others very well.

If you think that his final goal is personal glory and attainment of records, then he is the greatest actor in the world.

he could have had much more money, much more fame outside of life in State College. He had those opportunities to seek the limelight. He has always shied away with it. he does not announce his donations to the school or charity.

Maybe I am foolishly blindisided here, but if you think the man lived to obtain records, you are barking up the wrong tree.

JH-If I were to believe that, the man has fooled me and many others very well.

If you think that his final goal is personal glory and attainment of records, then he is the greatest actor in the world.

he could have had much more money, much more fame outside of life in State College. He had those opportunities to seek the limelight. He has always shied away with it. he does not announce his donations to the school or charity.

Maybe I am foolishly blindisided here, but if you think the man lived to obtain records, you are barking up the wrong tree.

I agree. Records had no bearing on his legacy, and honestly this is a man who humble walked around campus with his wife pretty much daily. He was not a press whore like Bowden, and he never seemed to be in it for the fame. The man lived and breathed coaching, and I am certain he will likely die shortly after he's done doing so. So many outsiders have no idea what it's like there. While the national presses keep trying to oust JoPa, that community has no issues with him deciding when it's time to step away. That is....before all of this scandal. He needs to come clean and have a very good story.

I agree. Records had no bearing on his legacy, and honestly this is a man who humble walked around campus with his wife pretty much daily. He was not a press whore like Bowden, and he never seemed to be in it for the fame. The man lived and breathed coaching, and I am certain he will likely die shortly after he's done doing so. So many outsiders have no idea what it's like there. While the national presses keep trying to oust JoPa, that community has no issues with him deciding when it's time to step away. That is....before all of this scandal. He needs to come clean and have a very good story.

I remember walking on campus in 1985, me being a "deadhead" long haired, pretty much smart aleck a$$***** who the majority of adults would not have given the time of day-and rightly so, I was a punk.

I happen to see Paterno walking towards me on the campus mall, we locked eyes, and he casually asked me "how are finals going", in as a sincere voice as one could have.

It told me everything I needed to know:

1. I was not a totally recluse monster.

2. Paterno is more than a facade.

Others I know have similar stories.

This all hurts though-as it appears it is tough for him to come off clean here.

That is undeniable. How much did Joe know, and what was passed along. These are all things that have to surface.

The Centre County DA had previously declined to offer indictments against Sandusky. That DA (Gricar) is missing and presumed dead. That Sandusky was not nabbed then, is truly a shame

Never heard that before. It probably has nothing to do with this at all, but it's a really odd detail about "Happy Valley".

As a fellow PSU alum and a staunch fan of JoPa, I have some serious questions here. McQueary may not have seen a "rape", but what is on record is he heard sounds coming from the shower that he felt sounded like people having sexual relations. It did not, however, state what he actually saw other than Sandusky and a little boy naked in the shower. McQueary called his father who promptly told him to report it to Paterno. Paterno immediately called the AD and had him over his house with McQueary to report the findings. That is all that is on record.

OK, so basically from the point JoPa reported the incident to the AD he essentially did nothing since. That's where I take issue. Did he not continually inquire to the AD's findings and action? Did the AD tell him that it was all a misunderstanding and they handled it internally? To me, whenever there is an allegation of child molestation, the authorities need to be brought in. Period. If any part you played in the situation led to or agreed to not bring in the authorities then you are morally complicit in my opinion.

He is a mandated reporter under penn law. He should have contacted the police or state troopers immediaterly. The AD thing is a total dodge. Again, if he is Coach X at State U. instead of Joe Paterno, he would be under indictment.

heard some stuff on fatcessa today

this all should have stopped in 1998, but people were more concerned with protecting the penn state brand than innocent children

shame on all of them

Well money can change priorities pretty quickly. Who cares for some innocent defenseless victims when you can mint hundreds of millions from a brand.

I think everybody believes Paterno to be the guy he presents--a good, loyal, humble, old-school football coach. To me, that's what makes it so much more disappointing, that he didn't do what we all would imagine he would do in this situation. He ruined what it meant to be Paterno.

I think everybody believes Paterno to be the guy he presents--a good, loyal, humble, old-school football coach. To me, that's what makes it so much more disappointing, that he didn't do what we all would imagine he would do in this situation. He ruined what it meant to be Paterno.

You are jumping to a very big conclusion. I agree that things look bad right now, don't get me wrong. But let's not hang anyone until we at least have an inkling of the facts at hand and a formal statement from Paterno.

You are jumping to a very big conclusion. I agree that things look bad right now, don't get me wrong. But let's not hang anyone until we at least have an inkling of the facts at hand and a formal statement from Paterno.

What else is there to know really though? I mean, if dude was touching kids and Paterno knew... dont care if he met protocol, it wasnt enough.

What else is there to know really though? I mean, if dude was touching kids and Paterno knew... dont care if he met protocol, it wasnt enough.

I think the question is how much did he know. Scott brings up a rather interesting point. McQueary was not on the coaching staff at the time, but was hired fairly shortly after this incident. So, who's to say he talks to Paterno, Paterno calls AD, AD tells Joe that he will get to the bottom of it, then meets with McQueary and offers him a job for his silence or change in his story. McQueary changes his story and says that he must have misinterpreted what he saw. Is it far fetched...sure...but it is a possibility. We need to hear what JoPa has to say for himself. He's earned that much at least before we roll out with pitchforks.

Yeah, pretty much this. Hierarchy, protocol...I just can't grasp any adult wasting their time to this degree on them when it comes to child rape. Process has its place, but only to a certain extent.

Archived