Shoulder may keep former Jets QB Pennington off field

b&bjetsfan

http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/jetsblog/former_jets_qb_pennington_unsure_3vo85RQk4ThVtfhUeqPXqJ?utm_source=SFbriancoz&utm_medium=SFnewyorkpost

I spoke with Chad Pennington Tuesday for this column on Mark Sanchez. I couldn’t get into this in the column, but I asked the former Jets quarterback about his future plans.

Pennington is currently an analyst for FOX. He had his fourth shoulder surgery last year when he was with the Dolphins and then tore his ACL playing basketball in March. Pennington has said he hopes to play again, but he did not sound too confident about that Tuesday.

“I don’t know what I’m planning on doing,” Pennington said. “My biggest question is can my shoulder take a hit again. I don’t know for sure if I can answer that question. I look at some of these hits that quarterbacks are taking and a lot of times the answer is, ‘No, my shoulder can’t take that kind of hit.’ Right now, I would say what I’m dealing with is, can I look a coach in the eye and say ‘yeah, you can trust me’ when I don’t know if I can trust my shoulder or not. It’s nothing I can control. It’s just the nature of having four surgeries.”

Pennington played for the Jets from 2000-2007. They released him before the 2008 season after they traded for Brett Favre. If Pennington can play, I think he would be a great candidate to be the backup for Sanchez next season.

Mark Brunell is expected to retire after this year. Pennington would give the Jets a competent backup, who could also help Sanchez through his growing pains. As I said in the column, no one can relate to what Sanchez is experiencing more than Pennington.

But Pennington needs to figure out if he can play first.

“My mind can do it,” he said. “The question is will my body follow. I’m not sure.”

One other thing I could not fit into the column, but I thought was funny. I asked Pennington about the press conference in 2004 when he lectured the media about how much of a “privilege” it is to cover the Jets. Sanchez has never had an outburst like that with reporters, but I asked Pennington how tough it is to resist firing back.

“I hope [Jets PR director] Bruce Speight has shown him that clip,” Pennington said. “He can learn from me not to do that because you can’t win. The only way you win is with your performance on the field. It’s really, really tough because you can be playing well but if the results are not where people expect them to be you’re going to receive criticism. The perception versus the reality can be really far from each other in a town like New York.”

Why? So we can read that pos Pennington defend that pos Sanchez?

You are pathetic. Spitooeey!

What in the **** are you talking about ?? gato asked if this was a 8 year old article I posted the date . What in your twisted mind did you get out of that ? Did you play out some scenario in your head and then think I posted it ?

He would make a great qb coach

Based on what exactly? His spineless checkdown early and often policy? His complete inability to ever accomplish anything against any respectable defense? His constant whining and moping around instead of helping out when Clemens took his starting job? Be it as a player or coach, I would never want him around any Jets QB, whether that's Sanchez or anyone else.

Based on what exactly? His spineless checkdown early and often policy? His complete inability to ever accomplish anything against any respectable defense? His constant whining and moping around instead of helping out when Clemens took his starting job? Be it as a player or coach, I would never want him around any Jets QB, whether that's Sanchez or anyone else.

This post totally reminds me of a great line from Woody Allen's "Bananas." His girlfriend is breaking up with him and tells him its because he is immature. "How am I immature" he asks. His girlfriend responds, "emotionally, sexually and intellectually." "Yeah, but what other ways?"

Archived