So who should... stay?

Bleedin Green

Under the circumstances, there's certainly a list a mile long of who we all think should be getting their pink slips as early as today, the most popular to discuss of course being Sanchez and Schotty, just as it should be. But to take a different angle at this the question is, of those who are potentially on their way out the door, who should stay? Thanks to our good buddy Jason, here's a list of the Jets upcoming FAs from nyjetscap.com:

Unrestricted:

Bryan Thomas

Sione Pouha

Jim Leonhard

LaDainian Tomlinson

Robert Turner

Kevin O'Connell

Mark Brunell

Plaxico Burress

Nick Folk

Brodney Pool

Donald Strickland

Restricted:

Marquice Cole

Jamaal Westerman

Patrick Turner

Aaron Maybin

Exclusive Rights:

Matthew Mulligan

Ellis Lankster

Martin Tevaseu

Granted there's not a lot of big names there, but still some interesting players and Pouha has to be, without question, the top priority for the Jets this offseason in terms of their own FAs. The DL is the strongest unit on this team and the only one they shouldn't have to worry about in FA or the draft, so you can't go and lose your starting NT. Beyond that I'm sure they'll give Folk another one year deal and I think you can make arguments either way about a number of those other guys, but none are locks to be brought back. The biggest questions are probably Thomas and Leonhard considering they are both starters coming off of season-ending injuries. All of the RFAs have probably done enough to get tendered, although some of them will have to earn their roster spots in camp and same goes for the ERFAs, although here's hoping they don't even bother to tender Mulligan.

Amongst the most interesting players to watch would probably be Plax, who has had a solid season but is way up there and very risk to give a long-term deal to for a whole long list of reasons, but if he's willing to come back for another one-year might be worth considering. And what the team does with LT will say a lot about how they feel about McKnight and Powell. So what do people think?

Pouha number 1 priority. He will be expensive.

Leonhard if he can pass a physical.

Obviously I'd keep others so we can field a team but those 2 mainly.

I wouldn't care if we signed play back. For the production he gave there are cheaper options.

Unrestricted:

Bryan Thomas

Sione Pouha

Jim Leonhard

LaDainian Tomlinson

Robert Turner

Kevin O'Connell

Mark Brunell

Plaxico Burress

Nick Folk

Brodney Pool

Donald Strickland

of this group i would want us to keep

Pouha , Leonhard , Turner , Folk & Burress

the rest are all parts that can be replaced

Restricted:

Marquice Cole

Jamaal Westerman

Patrick Turner

Aaron Maybin

I would keep Westerman & Maybin. and maybe Turner although i think we can get a better option in the draft next season if need be\

Exclusive Rights:

Matthew Mulligan

Ellis Lankster

Martin Tevaseu

Tevaseu is the only one i would want back here

The one type of player that the Rex Effect has ever produced is defensive linemen, so I'd let Pouha walk if he gets a big offer. Clearly, they're incapable of drafting or developing pass rushers or TEs, so I'd try and allocate any FA money to that effort.

The one type of player that the Rex Effect has ever produced is defensive linemen, so I'd let Pouha walk if he gets a big offer. Clearly, they're incapable of drafting or developing pass rushers or TEs, so I'd try and allocate any FA money to that effort.

That's a pretty fair point, but my concern is there's just not much on this team in terms of true NT beyond Pouha. Closest things are Ellis and MTV, each of who have proved little to nothing. If Pouha ends up costing a lot of money then I could certainly see your point, but if they can keep him for a reasonable amount, I think it would be nice to knock one position off the list of needs, as they'd be pretty set at DL.

That's a pretty fair point, but my concern is there's just not much on this team in terms of true NT beyond Pouha. Closest things are Ellis and MTV, each of who have proved little to nothing. If Pouha ends up costing a lot of money then I could certainly see your point, but if they can keep him for a reasonable amount, I think it would be nice to knock one position off the list of needs, as they'd be pretty set at DL.

Maybe they just let Kenrick Ellis play it? I hear what you're saying, but it all depends on the offer Pouha gets, imo.

Pouha is the only one on that list that I would be a little upset about losing, but even him wouldn't make me pout, atleast not until teams gash us even more on the ground next year then they did at times this year.

If we could get on the cheap I wouldn't mind having

Patrick Turner

Robert Turner

Donald Strickland (only cause he is very familiar with the system and a competent dime CB)

Aaron Maybin

MTV

Marquice Cole (see Strickland comment, and this would keep Rex from wasting 98% of the offseason in trying to find a CB and neglecting every other position)

Maybe the Jets should try Ducasse there lol, he can't be worse at that then he is at pass blocking.

Maybe the Jets should try Ducasse there lol, he can't be worse at that then he is at pass blocking.

Seriously, I've said a few times that Ducasse should get a look at DL. We used Turner and Hunter on goal line D in the past. Why not Ducasse? He'l never have the wits to play OL. He just isn't a good player there. If he's such a physical specimen, wouldn't it be worth a shot to see if he could play inside? Sounds crazy, I know, but what the hell, he's signed and might be a decent project there.

Unrestricted:

Bryan Thomas- Gone

Sione Pouha- Keep

Jim Leonhard- Gone

LaDainian Tomlinson-Keep

Robert Turner- Gone

Kevin O'Connell- Gone

Mark Brunell- Gone

Plaxico Burress- Gone

Nick Folk-Gone

Brodney Pool- Gone

Donald Strickland- Gone