Jets Need a Consistent, Stable Receiving Core in Order to Have a Successful Passing Game

MTJ06

When you look around the league at the better passing offenses you realize that most of them have a receiving core group that has been playing with the team together for years. Even the teams with great qbs also have a stable receiving core that has been with the team for years. I believe the Jets need to put together a similar core group in order to have a successful passing offense, and cannot continue to patch things together on a yearly basis.

For Example:

GB-Donald Driver 13yrs, Greg Jennings 6yrs, James Jones 5yrs, Jordy Nelson 4yrs, J Finley 4yrs

NO- D Henderson 8yrs, L Moore 7yrs, M Colston 6yrs, R Meachem 5yrs, J Graham 2yrs

NE- Branch 6 yrs, Welker 5yrs, Edelman 3yrs, Gronkowski 2 yrs, Hernandez 2yrs

IND Wayne 11 yrs, D Clark 9 yrs, Gonzalez 5 yrs, Garcon 4yrs, Tamme 4 yrs, Collie 3 yrs

SD A Gates 9yrs, M Floyd 8yrs, V Jackson 7 yrs, P Crayton 2 yrs

Pitt H Ward 14 yrs, H Miller 7yrs, M Wallace 3 yrs, A Brown 2 yrs, E Sanders 2yrs

Hou A Johnson 9 yrs, O Daniels 6yrs, J Jones 5yrs, K Walter 5yrs

Dal Witten 9yrs, M Austin 6yrs, K Ogletree 3yrs, D Bryant 2yrs, L Robinson 1 yr

NYG M Manningham 4yrs, H Knicks 3yrs, R Barden 3 yrs, V Cruz 2yrs, J Ballard 2 yrs

DET C Johnson 5yrs, B Pettigrew 3 yrs, N Burleson 2 yrs, T Young 1 yr

NYJ D Keller 4 yrs, S Holmes 2 yrs, P Turner 2yrs, P Burress 1yr, J Kerley 1yr

When looking at our group in comparison to the more successful passing offenses in the NFL is it any surprise that Mark Sanchez is inaccurate, and our passing offense lacks consistency?

The best teams have a good QB and creative gameplan.

No we do not need 4 stud Wrs. our play calling doesn't get them open

The best offenses seem to have a minimum of 2, we have 0 right now. I agree that a change in OC could help some of our current players reach that level

The best offenses seem to have a minimum of 2, we have 0 right now. I agree that a change in OC could help some of our current players reach that level

Holmes and Kerley would fit in fine with those top passing teams.

Holmes and Kerley would fit in fine with those top passing teams.

No way, not at this point anyway. Who are the fitting in with? Name the teams that I mentioned who you would take Holmes and Kerley over their top 2.

I don't care who the WR's are, as long as: 1) they're NFL caliber (our top 4 guys meet this requirement IMO), 2) They give effort (Kerley and Turner match this now. Burress, at times. Holmes, hell no.) and 3) It's *mostly* the same guys for several years. I don't like this whole "let's swap out 2 of our 3 WR's every year" deal.

I 100% agree that's why over in the 16th pick thread I suggested the Jets draft Alshon Jeffrey in the 1st, and Nick Toon, in the 2nd, let Mark learn the NEW system with those 2 Kerley, Holmes, and Keller, and if they choose a succesful passing offensive coordinator come year 3 that would be a dynamic Offense, and the 1st and 2nd years good enough with a Rex Ryan defense.

I 100% agree that's why over in the 16th pick thread I suggested the Jets draft Alshon Jeffrey in the 1st, and Nick Toon, in the 2nd, let Mark learn the NEW system with those 2 Kerley, Holmes, and Keller, and if they choose a succesful passing offensive coordinator come year 3 that would be a dynamic Offense, and the 1st and 2nd years good enough with a Rex Ryan defense.

I'm not opposed to that, but don't you think they should only spend 1 pick that way? We need a right tackle, pass rushing OLB and a safety bare minimum. Don't like the idea of being forced to find all those starters in free agency, or relying on 3rd/4th rounders.

I don't care who the WR's are, as long as: 1) they're NFL caliber (our top 4 guys meet this requirement IMO), 2) They give effort (Kerley and Turner match this now. Burress, at times. Holmes, hell no.) and 3) It's *mostly* the same guys for several years. I don't like this whole "let's swap out 2 of our 3 WR's every year" deal.

Problem is both Turner, and Plax are free to walk, and Holmes is a huge ? so we really don't have 4 NFL caliber WR's right now, for next year, we might have only 1 in Kerley and he is a 3rd down conversion slot WR that isn't scaring anyone on the outside type WR, he would be great with 2 guys who can scare you on the outside IMO however.

This argument is backwards. Our receivers will perform better with higher quality, consistent QB play. There's a reason Holmes only caught 51 passes, and it isn't his bad attitude.

We need a right tackle soooo bad. I don't know, I'm not trying to absolve Sanchez of blame here, but I don't think I've ever seen him play with more fear than he did today. He looked afraid even when he wasn't under pressure.

We need a right tackle soooo bad. I don't know, I'm not trying to absolve Sanchez of blame here, but I don't think I've ever seen him play with more fear than he did today. He looked afraid even when he wasn't under pressure.

Whatever the reason for Sanchez becoming a pussy is irrelevant. He's damaged goods now either way.

I'm not opposed to that, but don't you think they should only spend 1 pick that way? We need a right tackle, pass rushing OLB and a safety bare minimum. Don't like the idea of being forced to find all those starters in free agency, or relying on 3rd/4th rounders.

Safety is out the window in this draft don't even think Safety in the 1st 2 rounds, its the worst pool of safetys in a long time the highest rated safety in this draft has a mid round 2 grade, earliest to grab a safety is round 3. RT we could address in FA, we already wasted a 2nd rounder on a "project" in the deepest draft in NFL history really stupid, this suggests they don't know what there looking for talent wise, much better chance to be succesful in FA, at that position. As for pass rushing OLB, you retain Maybin, Thomas, and Westerman, we rarely seen a Rex Ryan defense with a 2 score lead early, and when we do its pretty dam dominant no matter the personel, this is when Rex gets creative, and dominates. If we can get talent on the offensive side of the ball that can actually score points, and give Rex a lead, it really does not matter who is on the defensive side, he will get the job done. Only once can I remember when the Jets had a big lead and the Jets D blew it, and that was this year against Oakland, every other time we usually run away with the game or never get threatened to lose the game.

#1 I thought Holmes "has to go!"?

#2 Just a quick glance at that list shows Cruz - never played last year, Vincent Jackson held out and didn't play a down, Branch hasn't been in NE 6 years straight. The Pats did pretty well the year they added Moss and Welker.

Talent > Continuity

Cruz was on the teamand had a playbook so I listed his years, Jackson held out and DID play, and while Branch went to seattle he is still familiar with the QB and O. Yes you should be able to integrate a talent like Moss into your offense.

My point is:

Talent + Continuity= Success

This argument is backwards. Our receivers will perform better with higher quality, consistent QB play. There's a reason Holmes only caught 51 passes, and it isn't his bad attitude.

Am I missing a great passing offense out there that has a consistent QB play and changes its WRs every year?

When you look around the league at the better passing offenses you realize that most of them have a receiving core group that has been playing with the team together for years. Even the teams with great qbs also have a stable receiving core that has been with the team for years. I believe the Jets need to put together a similar core group in order to have a successful passing offense, and cannot continue to patch things together on a yearly basis.

For Example:

GB-Donald Driver 13yrs, Greg Jennings 6yrs, James Jones 5yrs, Jordy Nelson 4yrs, J Finley 4yrs

NO- D Henderson 8yrs, L Moore 7yrs, M Colston 6yrs, R Meachem 5yrs, J Graham 2yrs

NE- Branch 6 yrs, Welker 5yrs, Edelman 3yrs, Gronkowski 2 yrs, Hernandez 2yrs

IND Wayne 11 yrs, D Clark 9 yrs, Gonzalez 5 yrs, Garcon 4yrs, Tamme 4 yrs, Collie 3 yrs

SD A Gates 9yrs, M Floyd 8yrs, V Jackson 7 yrs, P Crayton 2 yrs

Pitt H Ward 14 yrs, H Miller 7yrs, M Wallace 3 yrs, A Brown 2 yrs, E Sanders 2yrs

Hou A Johnson 9 yrs, O Daniels 6yrs, J Jones 5yrs, K Walter 5yrs

Dal Witten 9yrs, M Austin 6yrs, K Ogletree 3yrs, D Bryant 2yrs, L Robinson 1 yr

NYG M Manningham 4yrs, H Knicks 3yrs, R Barden 3 yrs, V Cruz 2yrs, J Ballard 2 yrs

DET C Johnson 5yrs, B Pettigrew 3 yrs, N Burleson 2 yrs, T Young 1 yr

NYJ D Keller 4 yrs, S Holmes 2 yrs, P Turner 2yrs, P Burress 1yr, J Kerley 1yr

When looking at our group in comparison to the more successful passing offenses in the NFL is it any surprise that Mark Sanchez is inaccurate, and our passing offense lacks consistency?

How could you even siggest this ?? We are the NY Jets we dont need any damn WR's we been just fine the past 12 years and should continue to be fine with the crap we put on the field year in and year out. We dont need any RB's either.

Am I missing a great passing offense out there that has a consistent QB play and changes its WRs every year?

The Colts had most of their WR corps decimated by injuries in 2010 and were fine.

The Packers lost Greg Jennings this year and didn't miss a beat.

Cam Newton didn't bring a single receiver with him from Auburn and broke the rookie passing record.

Andy Dalton had an excellent season and didn't bring Jeremy Kerley with him from TCU.

The Cowboys lost Miles Austin and Dez Bryant for weeks at a time this year. Romo said "OK, I'll throw it to Laurent Robinson."

The Patriots have had success with a huge diversity of receiving corps. From Troy Brown & Deion Branch to Randy Moss to Wes Welker to Deion Branch again to Rob Gronkowski and Aaron Hernandez, they keep chugging.

The Giants broke in Victor Cruz and Jake Ballard this year, replacing Steve Smith, Mario Manningham (injured and then forgotten) and Kevin Boss. No problem there.

The Chargers, for the first time, had Vincent Jackson healthy for a full 16 games. Usually Rivers is throwing to a variety of different receivers each year due to injuries. And when's the last time he had a healthy Gates for a full year?

Matt Hasselbeck went to a new team this year, lost Kenny Britt for the season in week 2, and promptly made Nate Washington look like a stud.

And on and on and on.....

Exactly. Under the cap there is turnover on every team at every position. Whining about getting the original band together is way less important that who is throwing the passes.

Cruz was on the teamand had a playbook so I listed his years, Jackson held out and DID play, and while Branch went to seattle he is still familiar with the QB and O. Yes you should be able to integrate a talent like Moss into your offense.

My point is:

Talent + Continuity= Success

You're dancing around the obvious. The Jets need a QB. If they have a known good QB, and then he underperforms because of the OL or the receivers or the offensive coaches/schemes, then you could make that argument.

Until Mark Sanchez is capable of the simplest of tasks, like hitting a receiver where the receiver expects the ball to be from 6 yards away with greater than 95% accuracy, he is officially and will continue to be the #1 problem with the passing game. No amount of cohesiveness among the receivers will change that and no brilliant gameplans or schemes will change that.

It is obvious to the whole country. The only difference is the rest of the country has no particular desire that Mark Sanchez become a good QB for the Jets.

The Colts had most of their WR corps decimated by injuries in 2010 and were fine.

The Packers lost Greg Jennings this year and didn't miss a beat.

Cam Newton didn't bring a single receiver with him from Auburn and broke the rookie passing record.

Andy Dalton had an excellent season and didn't bring Jeremy Kerley with him from TCU.

The Cowboys lost Miles Austin and Dez Bryant for weeks at a time this year. Romo said "OK, I'll throw it to Laurent Robinson."

The Patriots have had success with a huge diversity of receiving corps. From Troy Brown & Deion Branch to Randy Moss to Wes Welker to Deion Branch again to Rob Gronkowski and Aaron Hernandez, they keep chugging.

The Giants broke in Victor Cruz and Jake Ballard this year, replacing Steve Smith, Mario Manningham (injured and then forgotten) and Kevin Boss. No problem there.

The Chargers, for the first time, had Vincent Jackson healthy for a full 16 games. Usually Rivers is throwing to a variety of different receivers each year due to injuries. And when's the last time he had a healthy Gates for a full year?

Matt Hasselbeck went to a new team this year, lost Kenny Britt for the season in week 2, and promptly made Nate Washington look like a stud.

And on and on and on.....

The colts had R Wayne play 16 games, Garcon 14 games, Tamme 16 games, sure Clark and Collie were hurt and played 6 and 9

Packers Jennings played 13 this year, and you are right and prove my point by saying they didnt miss a beat because of the rest of their depth at WR.

Cam Newton is a phenom, lets see how he does next year.

Dalton isnt in this category yet even though he had a nice year.

Dez Bryant is playing in his 15 game of the season tonight.

the Chargers have 3 good Receivers who have been on the team for a while and usually have 2 of them on the field

and the list goes on and on....

To get a consistent, stable WR corps you need a consistent, stable QB.

That said, they do need a WR. There's not enough speed on this offense, and what speed there is the QB exploits sparingly.

Why does it seem as though all the consistent stable QBS have a consistent stable core group of WRs?

As was mentioned earlier, Flynn stepped right in for Green Bay today and their Offense didnt miss a beat.

The colts had R Wayne play 16 games, Garcon 14 games, Tamme 16 games, sure Clark and Collie were hurt and played 6 and 9

Packers Jennings played 13 this year, and you are right and prove my point by saying they didnt miss a beat because of the rest of their depth at WR.

Cam Newton is a phenom, lets see how he does next year.

Dalton isnt in this category yet even though he had a nice year.

Dez Bryant is playing in his 15 game of the season tonight.

the Chargers have 3 good Receivers who have been on the team for a while and usually have 2 of them on the field

and the list goes on and on....

Dude, WRS are nice, but it's the QB. You LOSE. GOOD DAY, SIR.

Why does it seem as though all the consistent stable QBS have a consistent stable core group of WRs?

As was mentioned earlier, Flynn stepped right in for Green Bay today and their Offense didnt miss a beat.

good qbs make wrs seem good and make it so they can be stable. Flynn did what he did because he is a good qb.

Why because you say so...

You mention Flynn, which completely refutes your main point. he stepped in today after working with the 2nd team all year and because he is a superior talent had no problem lighting it up. Good WRs are buce, but it's the QB that is the critical factor. If you are going to obess over WRs being with the team for a long time it's nice for continuity's sake. But it's not going to happen under the cap. If they brought back SMith and Cotchery insteadof overpaying Holmes and Burress Sanchez still would've sucked balls.

You mention Flynn, which completely refutes your main point. he stepped in today after working with the 2nd team all year and because he is a superior talent had no problem lighting it up. Good WRs are buce, but it's the QB that is the critical factor. If you are going to obess over WRs being with the team for a long time it's nice for continuity's sake. But it's not going to happen under the cap. If they brought back SMith and Cotchery insteadof overpaying Holmes and Burress Sanchez still would've sucked balls.

First off Im not solely talking about Sanchez. He gets one more year here IMO and if he doesnt improve he goes. No QB will every play well here if we continue with a rotating WR core.

Flynn doesnt refute my point. It makes it easier for a QB to step in when all the wrs know exactly where the are going and he knows exactly where they will be.

I guess in your opinion Flynn is the next Brady, because if he was such a superior talent he wouldnt have been drafted in the 7th round.

Brad Smith and Jericho cotchery are not good WRS so I would not expect Sanchez to play any better if they were still on the team.

Realistically compare our receiving core to the teams listed, Do we really match up talent wise?

Burress is Jag, so is turner, Holmes plays when he feels like it.

Archived