Jeremy Lin

villain_the_foe

• Replies 565
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dude, I grew up a Jets, Mets, Knicks fan. Can you blame me? lol

Everyone is making very convincing arguments to why it will work. I'm feeling more confident about it reading the thread. I think I'm just sour from how bad the season was going when this was Melo's team.

I think your perception is skewed. There are very few players in the NBA who can go to a team and just push them to victory. Melo is too incomplete of a player to be that guy. He's a phenomenal scorer, probably top 2 in the league, but like you pointed out he's not going to be passing or playing D and those other things night in/night out. Can't remember who mentioned it but I put that first part of the season on D'antoni.

Grown too attached to having Balkman back have you?

I'M A SUCKER FOR DREADS.

Nah- just afraid you're going to see guys like Shumpert and Jefferies get reduced minutes to force this guy in. There's enough guys on the floor that can score, just think the Knicks could use some solid defenders getting good minutes.

Grown too attached to having Balkman back have you?

LOL. I think the Knicks are really concerned that Davis isn't going to play this year and they need need bona fide bench scoring.

So I'm cool with this JR signing. I was hoping to bring Wilson Chandler back, but Denver still controls his rights and he says he wants to re-sign there. If not Wilson, then JR is the second best option.

Let's not forget that Jorts is set to come back within a month so the Knicks may have the makings of a pretty good bench.

I'M A SUCKER FOR DREADS.

Nah- just afraid you're going to see guys like Shumpert and Jefferies get reduced minutes to force this guy in. There's enough guys on the floor that can score, just think the Knicks could use some solid defenders getting good minutes.

Good point, but the bench scoring pretty much stinks now that Wayne Hunter has taken over Toney Douglas' body.

Against the Kings and Raptors...sure. Chicago and Miami? No. Not at all.

I guess that's where I run into the conundrum with D'antoni's system. You're looking it as needing points, I look at it like needing better defense against those team. Smith fits that "just ****in outscore 'em" mentality in the system.

I guess we'll see how it turns out.

/jif'd

I think your perception is skewed. There are very few players in the NBA who can go to a team and just push them to victory. Melo is too incomplete of a player to be that guy. He's a phenomenal scorer, probably top 2 in the league, but like you pointed out he's not going to be passing or playing D and those other things night in/night out. Can't remember who mentioned it but I put that first part of the season on D'antoni.

What do you mean skewed?

Melo isnt a top 5 scorer IMO.

LOL. I think the Knicks are really concerned that Davis isn't going to play this year and they need need bona fide bench scoring.

So I'm cool with this JR signing. I was hoping to bring Wilson Chandler back, but Denver still controls his rights and he says he wants to re-sign there. If not Wilson, then JR is the second best option.

Let's not forget that Jorts is set to come back within a month so the Knicks may have the makings of a pretty good bench.

That's a good point... didn't even consider that.

I guess that's where I run into the conundrum with D'antoni's system. You're looking it as needing points, I look at it like needing better defense against those team. Smith fits that "just ****in outscore 'em" mentality in the system.

/jif'd

Well, the Knicks are 14th in defense (points allowed) and 5th in points per possession. So they are a pretty solid defensive team. Their offense has sucked this year until Lin came around.

Think about this--with Linsanity, this is the first time in 2 seasons that the Knicks have a starting lineup with all 5 players playing at their natural position.

/jif'd

Exactly. If Jared Jeffries is asked to score off the bench, THEN HE SHOULD TAKE ON A SCORER'S MENTALITY.

Well, the Knicks are 14th in defense (points allowed) and 5th in points per possession. So they are a pretty solid defensive team. Their offense has sucked this year until Lin came around.

Think about this--with Linsanity, this is the first time in 2 seasons that the Knicks have a starting lineup with all 5 players playing at their natural position.

And I believe that's cause you see those guys I mentioned getting minutes. Toss in Melo and Smith I think we'll see that change, but it's on D'antoni to piece together these things.

Then you're out of your mind.

Not really.

Kobe, LeBron, Rose, Durant, Love, Westbrook, Aldridge...lots of good scorers in the league. Melo is up there...but based on this season. He's not with those guys. Years past, sure. But he's been pure sh*t this season.

That you have beaten-housewife syndrome?

Isn't a top 5?

tumblr_ln2ip3dhOQ1qjvsoxo1_r3_500.gif

See above and obviously I have the beat housewife syndrome. Again, can you blame me?

A couple of years ago and I would have disliked this move greatly, the kid is a bonafide dumbass. However, after the Melo trade last year Karl had him playing at a very high level and anytime you add a player with endless range and a career 37% shooting percentage from beyond the arc to a mike d'antoni offense, that's a good thing. Plus, the kid can create his own shot, which is something that we have been lacking outside of Melo and Lin.

Depending on the score of the game, we could have a final unit of Lin - Smith - Melo - Novak - Chandler/Amare: talk about absolutely endless spacing. You have three players who can hit it from just about anywhere on the court. It's a great move.

It really isn't. Defensive ratings on PBR have actually gone down since Linsanity began.

If there was officially an Assistant Coach of the Year award, Mike Woodson should get it.

With all the Knicks offensive woes early on, the complete defensive turnaround has been ignored.

Who cares as long as they keep winning. Cause you know what's gone up during Linsanity?

/motions to crotch

Lol...in all honesty dude the only guys he takes minutes from are Walker and Bibby. That's even if D'Antoni actually likes the guy, which who the **** knows. I'm definitely looking forward to when he sticks him in for 5 minutes, Smith looks lost, and the inevitable I CAN'T BELIEVE WE MESSED WITH THE CHEMISTRY ZOMG WE'RE DOOMED.

Kinda bizarre though. Like we're on a 7-game winning streak, about to add Carmelo Anthony and J.R. Smith to the roster, and people are actually upset about this.

Yea it's definitely a nice thing to see. Although, I liked the starting five of Felton - Fields - Gallo - Amare - Mozzy a lot when we were on that winning streak. It wasn't a very large sample, but I did really like that squad a lot. The biggest difference with our team now, is that from our 1 to 5 we either have our players and or the potential to lock them up for a handful of years, instead of relying on one year deals or aging veterans. The Knicks are not only getting hot now, but they won't be going anywhere, baring anything outside the norm, for a few years. It's pretty awesome.

Not really.

Kobe, LeBron, Rose, Durant, Love, Westbrook, Aldridge...lots of good scorers in the league. Melo is up there...but based on this season. He's not with those guys. Years past, sure. But he's been pure sh*t this season.

Again, if you think Rose, Love, Westbrook, and Aldridge are better scorers than Melo then you are out of your mind.

The actual true elite scorers in the NBA are:

Durant

Kobe

Wade

Melo

LeBron

Lastly, Melo has been "sit" this season as you say ... BECAUSE HE'S BEEN HURT. How is this ignored? Bad back. Bad hip. Bad knee. Bad wrist. Bad groin. Before Melo hurt his wrist a few weeks back he was averaging the second most points in the NBA aaaaannnndddd the Knicks had a winning record. Melo gets hurt in January in multiple parts of his body and, lo and behold, the Knicks take a tailspin.

Lol...in all honesty dude the only guys he takes minutes from are Walker and Bibby. That's even if D'Antoni actually likes the guy, which who the **** knows. I'm definitely looking forward to when he sticks him in for 5 minutes, Smith looks lost, and the inevitable I CAN'T BELIEVE WE MESSED WITH THE CHEMISTRY ZOMG WE'RE DOOMED.

Kinda bizarre though. Like we're on a 7-game winning streak, about to add Carmelo Anthony and J.R. Smith to the roster, and people are actually upset about this.

I'm not upset in terms of like ZOMG WTF R W DOIN. Just not a fan, I don't see it as an ALL upside kind of move. I think it could go either way, I think all of you guys have valid points on him.

And based on this year, Dirk can't shoot the 3 and Brandon Rush is the GOAT from downtown.

22 games. Really dude. 22 games.

I'm sorry, I didnt realize I couldnt evaluate someone off 22 games.

Again, if you think Rose, Love, Westbrook, and Aldridge are better scorers than Melo then you are out of your mind.

The actual true elite scorers in the NBA are:

Durant

Kobe

Wade

Melo

LeBron

Lastly, Melo has been "sit" this season as you say ... BECAUSE HE'S BEEN HURT. How is this ignored? Bad back. Bad hip. Bad knee. Bad wrist. Bad groin. Before Melo hurt his wrist a few weeks back he was averaging the second most points in the NBA aaaaannnndddd the Knicks had a winning record. Melo gets hurt in January in multiple parts of his body and, lo and behold, the Knicks take a tailspin.

Who gives a **** what the excuses are? He's been absolute sh*t this season. I'm sorry for hurting your feelings.

And if you think he's a better scorer than Rose, I got nothing for you.

Archived