Janzen Jackson, McNeese State

bitonti

this is exactly the kind of sleeper I suspect the Jets will look for at the Safety position...

of course after the combine, he probably isn't a sleeper anymore.

Jackson's talent as a football player has never been questioned, and the 6-foot, 188-pound safety has been putting on a show for anyone who has seen him work out at Sonic Boom.

Last Wednesday, Jackson looked almost picture perfect with his ball reaction skills, his footwork and reverse skills in individual drills, but it was his three 40-yard times that really were eye-catching.

I clocked Janzen's 40-yard times at 4.36 seconds, 4.29 and 4.34.

Harris, a former NFL wide receiver, has high praise for Jackson.

"I have trained some great athletes here at Sonic Boom. People like Marques Colston, Robert Meachem, Tracy Porter, Jacoby Jones and Devery Henderson, and I have never had an athlete like him here," Harris said. "He is the best athlete that's ever trained at Sonic Boom. His athleticism is freakish and his speed, quickness and ease of movement are at the very top of the athletic ladder. He applies all that athletic ability to the football field. He is just not a great athlete, but he can play a high level of football also. He is going to knock the socks off of these other safeties he tests against at the combine."

Jackson said his mobility is his greatest strength.

"I really think my versatility to play not only safety, but also cornerback will help me out," Jackson said. "Working under my dad in high school, Lance Guidry, the current defensive coordinator at Western Kentucky and learning techniques from Coach Monte Kiffin at Tennessee, I think that really helped mold my football skills to play the different coverage sets everyone has today. I have really good ball skills, and I study a lot of tape on people like Deion Sanders, Ed Reed and Eric Berry. I play the ball well in flight. I know I need to physically get stronger, but with my speed and range, I believe I can help out quickly. All I want is a chance."

I currently have Jackson as the third best free safety prospect in the 2012 draft and the 68th best overall player.

http://www.dailycomet.com/article/20120211/OPINION01/120219901?Title=Different-paths-to-NFL

sounds perfect for the Jets.

this is a team that pick Kenrick Ellis, who, if his assault case goes bad, gets deported.

Ellis' "assult case" is him taking out a guy who came at him and his chick with a bat, IIRC. So yeah...slightly different case if this S guy is still acting like a 12 year old. With a little bit of luck and a whole bunch of work Ellis' assault case becomes part of his long term legend.

just a little more info on this player, Jansen currently carries a 7th rd grade from JB Scouting (Small School Expert). In the article Mike Detiller has him as the 68th best player in the draft which would make him an early 3rd.

if he really runs that 4.3 at Indy his stock will soar. But his personal bagage probably holds him back, I'd split the difference and say he's worth a 4 or 5.

He's worth a 1 if he pans out

If he can play, he can play...get him

You sound like Tanny...fwiw...i'd take a flyer on him in the 6th or 7th.

Not really a strong safety class...if we do not draft Barron I'd probably look at some tweeners that could possibly convert to safety...intrigued by Sean Spence or LaVonta David.

You sound like Tanny...fwiw...i'd take a flyer on him in the 6th or 7th.

Not really a strong safety class...if we do not draft Barron I'd probably look at some tweeners that could possibly convert to safety...intrigued by Sean Spence or LaVonta David.

+1

I like Iloka enough in the 3-5 range, but yeah it's basically Barron or bust.

That's not entirely true...but if you want a really good one it is. I like Trenton Robinson some...Janzen is talented...meh to everyone else.

+1

I like Iloka enough in the 3-5 range, but yeah it's basically Barron or bust.

That's not entirely true...but if you want a really good one it is. I like Trenton Robinson some...Janzen is talented...meh to everyone else.

I'd add Martin and Smith to good value in the 3-5 range...but also wouldn't mind the previously mentioned (David, Spence) as possible converts in the same range...don't want to get to caught up in where they played in college....Spence especially could be another Bob Sanders.

Iloka might actually be the best safety in this crop. Would be a great pickup.

He's not, but he is really the only one of any real interest after Barron. It seems like if he runs in the 4.4s I think he ends up in the 2nd. He does have alot of pro potential with his size and athleticism...

Iloka might actually be the best safety in this crop. Would be a great pickup.

Good fit for trying to cover tight ends with that size. Not that he's necessarily going to be able to stop or slow down the Pats two tight ends, but it's been a weakness in general the last few years.

He's not, but he is really the only one of any real interest after Barron.

i used the word might

remember every year there are guys we hype up for whatever reason and then a so called lower ranked player turns out to be better. Iloka made a ton of plays Senior Bowl week. LSU Brandon Taylor and Okla State Markelle Martin also looked good.

the fact that these players are healthy, and Barron isn't, gives them a huge advantage.

i used the word might

remember every year there are guys we hype up for whatever reason and then a so called lower ranked player turns out to be better. Iloka made a ton of plays Senior Bowl week. LSU Brandon Taylor and Okla State Markelle Martin also looked good.

I like both of those players...Taylor and Martin...later in the draft...don't love 'em though. Taylor seems like he'd be competent.

since we are talking safeties, LSU's Eric Reid (the dude who made the int on his back in the 1st Alabama game) that's the type of player who is worth a mid first round pick (or higher) in my opinion. He's not in this draft but it looks like next year is actually a much stronger safety year. some likely names include Robert Lester, Alabama; Baccarri Rambo, Georgia, TJ McDonald USC; Tony Jefferson, Oklahoma; all of these guys could be ranked higher than Barron, if they were in the same class.

From a diehard Volunteer fan, this guy has Eric Berry type talent. Just Lawrence Phillips type attitude problems. If he can grow up and stay out of trouble he is a perrenial pro bowler. This guy was darn near as good as Berry in his freshman season at UT, when Berry was a junior. No flaws in his game, just flaws off the field. Stud. Book it. Go Vols.

From a diehard Volunteer fan, this guy has Eric Berry type talent. Just Lawrence Phillips type attitude problems. If he can grow up and stay out of trouble he is a perrenial pro bowler. This guy was darn near as good as Berry in his freshman season at UT, when Berry was a junior. No flaws in his game, just flaws off the field. Stud. Book it. Go Vols.

Janzen aint worth the risk? A turd is a turd is a turd

Archived