Veteran quarterback options.

BroadwayJ667

Agree on McElroy. but he isn't going to push Sacnhez this year. AT VERY LEAST we need a guy who can make Sanchez feel a little pushed in training camp. Then when Mark Crumbles again this season after facing a couple teams with winning records plug the dude in and ride him to victory.

I agree with you crush he does need a push but will this hinge on how much money we have to spend ? I mean if you gave me the choice of Backup QB or WR S RT RB I would choose back up QB last because the Jets want Sanchez to be "the guy". if he gets hurt do we really have much of a shot if any on a backup who gets little to no snaps during practice all year ? We either build the team around Sanchez or we cut the crap and move on. Not sure how much those guys will ask but Im sure it wont be dirt cheap. If you get one for a song then what the hell right

I don't see the Jets bringing in a guy to truly challenge Sanchez. I don't think they can afford it both financially and in terms of perception (ie, giving up on Sanchez). Also, I don't think they can take the risk on a guy like Flynn, who'd cost a ton. If Manning is healthy he's going to want to be in a better, more 'sure' situation (thus the Houston rumours).

Conversely, no NFL team is going to bring Garrard in as a potential starter. However, over the course of the year Garrard can prove himself healthy and physically capable of starting and therefore be a viable option in the event Sanchez either throws a pick six to cost the Jets a big game (or three) or throws multiple INTs to defensive lineman.

Seems like the right fit.

How can he prove himself anything over the course of the season that he couldn't prove over the course of TC?

And he could go to someplace that would offer him legitimate competition, not merely the chance of starting if the incumbent starter gets injured or sucks so badly that the team has a potential mutiny - players and fans - on its hands.

He was a decent QB once. Not great, but decent. I think someone would give him a realistic shot at a job than being Sanchez's extra QB coach.

And what is all this "push" Sanchez stuff? So have people now reserved themselves to the notion that he doesn't work or try hard enough? When a player needs to be pushed - particularly at a cerebral position - it means he needs to work harder (i.e. he's lazy).

I agree with you crush he does need a push but will this hinge on how much money we have to spend ? I mean if you gave me the choice of Backup QB or WR S RT RB I would choose back up QB last because the Jets want Sanchez to be "the guy". if he gets hurt do we really have much of a shot if any on a backup who gets little to no snaps during practice all year ?

So you'd prefer to go into the season with McElroy, who was injured for the entire season, as his primary backup? One way or the other we're getting SOMEBODY, so might as well get someone who has been a starter in the league before.

I agree with you crush he does need a push but will this hinge on how much money we have to spend ? I mean if you gave me the choice of Backup QB or WR S RT RB I would choose back up QB last because the Jets want Sanchez to be "the guy". if he gets hurt do we really have much of a shot if any on a backup who gets little to no snaps during practice all year ? We either build the team around Sanchez or we cut the crap and move on. Not sure how much those guys will ask but Im sure it wont be dirt cheap. If you get one for a song then what the hell right

My post was my attempt at being objective. LOL Personally I cut taco pick one of these guys up draft another late and move on. Now you got, Seasoned Vet, McCelroy and some new kid outta school. Better then we had last year.

My post was my attempt at being objective. LOL Personally I cut taco pick one of these guys up draft another late and move on. Now you got, Seasoned Vet, McCelroy and some new kid outta school. Better then we had last year.

I like your style Crusher. Year too early >>>>> Year too late.

That said, I'm a sap and I keep sympathizing with the Garbage starting QB. He's still young etc etc...

I like your style Crusher. Year too early >>>>> Year too late.

That said, I'm a sap and I keep sympathizing with the Garbage starting QB. He's still young etc etc...

If he was young and getting older that would be cool. Unfortunately we got a young one who is getting younger. TIme to move on Senor Kitty.,

How can he prove himself anything over the course of the season that he couldn't prove over the course of TC?

And he could go to someplace that would offer him legitimate competition, not merely the chance of starting if the incumbent starter gets injured or sucks so badly that the team has a potential mutiny - players and fans - on its hands.

He was a decent QB once. Not great, but decent. I think someone would give him a realistic shot at a job than being Sanchez's extra QB coach.

And what is all this "push" Sanchez stuff? So have people now reserved themselves to the notion that he doesn't work or try hard enough? When a player needs to be pushed - particularly at a cerebral position - it means he needs to work harder (i.e. he's lazy).

Regarding Garrard, who had back surgery, I think that time will matter. So, I'd expect him to perform better toward the middle of the season than in TC. Which goes to both of your first two points. Given his moderate level of success, and his injury and the fact that he missed a whole season, he might feel it best to ease into next season. And for the same reasons I don't think he's a viable starter for an entire season. I think he'd be a decent fit in Denver too.

Your right about the push thing. But its sort of human nature. Everybody need s an attitude adjustment from time to time.

Archived