I think I've settled on Mark Barron.

SenorGato

- I think a healthy Barron is one of the 20 best players in the class. Hell, if I made a list out he might even get into the top 15 players in this class.

- He gets knocked for not being a FS prospect by those who do knock him, but his 13 INTs, 12 FF, and 30+ PD in college say otherwise. As does the role he played in Saban's D, which left him in CF more often than not. To put it in perspective, that's more double the INTs of Troy Polamalu, who started 3 less games in college (0 NCs). He also beats him out in the FF and PD game as well...

- He's a great run defending safety who shoots gaps and delivers the big hit as well. Takes down backs like Marcus Lattimore by himself if he has to.

- Lots of on field experience with 39 college starts and two NC with Alabama where he played a major factor.

- Made the calls in the secondary for Alabama and does alot of talking to his CBs, a great sign from a good safety prospect.

- Prototypical size.

- I really hate the whole "safety isn't important" argument. REEEEEEEALLY hate it, particularly in an offseason where I see a WR and a G on the list of guys the Jets should draft in the first round (high up, usually leading that list). I just can't wrap my mind around passing on a good player because of some stupid belief that 2 of the 11 guys on the field on D are not very important.

- Has experience covering the slot and TEs, and his physicality will be an issue for TEs (even if he probably won't blanket them).

Draft him and the Jets have the best secondary in the NFL....Right now we have the best corners, so might as well get to work on upgrading from the small, slow, limited safeties on the roster.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

- I think a healthy Barron is one of the 20 best players in the class. Hell, if I made a list out he might even get into the top 15 players in this class.

- He gets knocked for not being a FS prospect by those who do knock him, but his 13 INTs, 12 FF, and 30+ PD in college say otherwise. As does the role he played in Saban's D, which left him in CF more often than not. To put it in perspective, that's more double the INTs of Troy Polamalu, who started 3 less games in college (0 NCs). He also beats him out in the FF and PD game as well...

- He's a great run defending safety who shoots gaps and delivers the big hit as well. Takes down backs like Marcus Lattimore by himself if he has to.

- Lots of on field experience with 39 college starts and two NC with Alabama where he played a major factor.

- Made the calls in the secondary for Alabama and does alot of talking to his CBs, a great sign from a good safety prospect.

- Prototypical size.

- I really hate the whole "safety isn't important" argument. REEEEEEEALLY hate it, particularly in an offseason where I see a WR and a G on the list of guys the Jets should draft in the first round (high up, usually leading that list). I just can't wrap my mind around passing on a good player because of some stupid belief that 2 of the 11 guys on the field on D are not very important.

- Has experience covering the slot and TEs, and his physicality will be an issue for TEs (even if he probably won't blanket them).

Draft him and the Jets have the best secondary in the NFL....Right now we have the best corners, so might as well get to work on upgrading from the small, slow, limited safeties on the roster.

I like Barron too didnt know he got 13 picks. Thats good production.

No thanks. Not worth the 16th overall pick. Decent safety in a weak safety class. He's a reach pick based on need which is making him sexier than he really is.

Why would I call a guy a first rounder because he's the best of a sad bunch? He's a first rounder because he's really good. There's zero reason to elevate a guy just because the other safeties suck. I think he's a high end safety prospect that's getting massively underrated by fans. Part of that might be based on him not being able to work out so far this offseason....

Why would I call a guy a first rounder because he's the best of a sad bunch? He's a first rounder because he's really good. There's zero reason to elevate a guy just because the other safeties suck. I think he's a high end safety prospect that's getting massively underrated by fans. Part of that might be based on him not being able to work out so far this offseason....

But he's really not. He's a good instinctual player. He's a SS whether you like it or not because he doesnt have the speed to play FS.

He's a good player, not great and you take great players in the top half of the 1st round.

But he's really not. He's a good instinctual player. He's a SS whether you like it or not because he doesnt have the speed to play FS.

He's a good player, not great and you take great players in the top half of the 1st round.

Whats wrong with being a good instinctual player? You can't teach instincts, that was the thing Vernon Gholston was missing if you watched hardknocks. I think he could play FS as well and even if we can't we need help at both SS and FS

Whats wrong with being a good instinctual player? You can't teach instincts, that was the thing Vernon Gholston was missing if you watched hardknocks. I think he could play FS as well and even if we can't we need help at both SS and FS

You know who has great instincts but doesnt have the skills to match...Eric Smith. lol

If Barron's feet were as fast as his instincts, he'd be worth the 16th selection. They're not though, so he's not.

Plus, the lack of workouts and off season surgery is making him slip to the 2nd round. Which is where he belongs IMO and the Jets should definitely take him if the falls hat far. Just not worth the 16th overall pick IMHO.

You know who has great instincts but doesnt have the skills to match...Eric Smith. lol

If Barron's feet were as fast as his instincts, he'd be worth the 16th selection. They're not though, so he's not.

Plus, the lack of workouts and off season surgery is making him slip to the 2nd round. Which is where he belongs IMO and the Jets should definitely take him if the falls hat far. Just not worth the 16th overall pick IMHO.

If he falls to the second round I'd be surprised. I think you underestimate his speed. who would you want 16 instead?

If he falls to the second round I'd be surprised. I think you underestimate his speed. who would you want 16 instead?

Dont be. Nobody has seen him workout. He's coming of surgery and didnt recover as quickly as expected. Very likely he'll be a 2nd round pick.

I waiver back and forth with the draft every season. At first I wanted an OLB, then I wanted Floyd, now I'm back to an OLB. We need speed. Someone who can play all facets of the position. Ingram, Upshaw, Whitney would be my choice...I wouldnt even be pissed if we picked Hightower. If none of them are their, I still like Floyd. Think he's going to be a beast in the NFL.

Dont be. Nobody has seen him workout. He's coming of surgery and didnt recover as quickly as expected. Very likely he'll be a 2nd round pick.

I waiver back and forth with the draft every season. At first I wanted an OLB, then I wanted Floyd, now I'm back to an OLB. We need speed. Someone who can play all facets of the position. Ingram, Upshaw, Whitney would be my choice...I wouldnt even be pissed if we picked Hightower. If none of them are their, I still like Floyd. Think he's going to be a beast in the NFL.

I agree with you 100% on Floyd, the mans an animal. I think Upshaw, Whitney, and Floyd will all be there by our pick. I wouldnt be upset if we drafted any one of these guys at 16. But out of all of them I like Floyd and Ingram and Richardson the most.

RB: Trent Richardson

WR: Michael Floyd

OLB: Ingram, Perry, Mercilus, Upshaw (wouldn't be in love with Upshaw though)

RT: Cordy Glenn, Riley Reiff

OG: Decastro

ILB: Hightower

S: Barron

I agree with you 100% on Floyd, the mans an animal. I think Upshaw, Whitney, and Floyd will all be there by our pick. I wouldnt be upset if we drafted any one of these guys at 16. But out of all of them I like Floyd and Ingram and Richardson the most.

OLB: Ingram, Mercilus, Upshaw (wouldn't be in love with Upshaw though)

I changed your post for my likes...not a fan on a RT that high and not a fan of Perry.

I might be wrong about that but wasnt he expected to be healthy for Bama's proday and he wasnt?

He was said to be out until July or so early on, and after a week or so expectations became that he'd work out by the time March ended. He's scheduled for the 29th.

right now i like Hightower, DeCastro, Ingram and or Barron...I'd take any at 16 and suspect we could get Barron a little later though doubt he's there at 47.

Up and down pretty much every team in the 20's needs a safety.

Not sure if srs with Smith.

I think you underrate his speed. I don't think he slips to the 2nd, and its extremely doubtful he falls to 47. He can play FS. PLEASE BELIEVE ME!

my problem with Barron at 16 is that Ed Reed went 25. and he didn't have a double hernia. Troy P went 16. For a safety to go as high as the Jets pick he needs to be special. I think Barron is very good (and a great fit for Rex's D) but I don't think he's "Ed Reed" or "Troy P" special. He's just a tier below. Which is fine, there are many great players who weren't 1st rounders.

Remember safety is not usually a 1st round pick for any team. This Jets team will probably sign a JAG safety in the next week or so and this won't be such a dire need.

OLB: Ingram, Perry, Mercilus, Upshaw (wouldn't be in love with Upshaw though)

RT: Cordy Glenn, Riley Reiff

S: Barron

this is actually a real accurate list. I'd be surprised if the Jets 1st round pick wasn't among those names.

He was said to be out until July or so early on, and after a week or so expectations became that he'd work out by the time March ended. He's scheduled for the 29th.

Okay, my bad. Thought I read he was expected to be ready by Bama's pro day.

my problem with Barron at 16 is that Ed Reed went 25. and he didn't have a double hernia. Troy P went 16. For a safety to go as high as the Jets pick he needs to be special. I think Barron is very good (and a great fit for Rex's D) but I don't think he's "Ed Reed" or "Troy P" special. He's just a tier below. Which is fine, there are many great players who weren't 1st rounders.

Remember safety is not usually a 1st round pick for any team. This Jets team will probably sign a JAG safety in the next week or so and this won't be such a dire need.

Ha! Too funny. There's a newbie to the site I was PM'ing with and I made this is exact same point.

Only thing I disagree with is that he's "a tier below". I think he's a couple of tiers below.

I've said it a million times and I'll say it again...he stacks with Polamalu....easily. History tends to get rewritten when there's a HOF career involved. Without the magic of hindsight he put produced Polamalu, he's bigger, better against the pass...Polamalu's biggest college production was in his TFL IIRC. Barron DOUBLED +1 his INT total in 3 more collee starts. The idea that he doesn't compare is hilarious and based totally on a perception aided by hindsight.

Also again, signing some boxing safety is not going to close the safety need for the year. Just like signing a Jarrett Johnson would not stop them from grabbing a DELB they really like. There's a reason even you're calling them JAGs.

I've said it a million times and I'll say it again...he stacks with Polamalu....easily.

Troy P ran a 4.33. If Barron runs that I will agree. I don't think he can.

another point picking a safety this year is like picking a DE during Gholston's year. there's so many awesome safeties next year, to take Barron now in rd 1 or rd 2, is effectively saying no TJ McDonald, no Bacarri Rambo, no Eric Reid, no Robert Lester, No Ray Ray Armstrong etc. iS Barron better than all of those guys? Is he better than any of those guys? Just cause it's a need position doesn't mean they should blow their wad with a 2012 safety. the 2013 safeties are going to rule over Barron's class.

another point picking a safety this year is like picking a DE during Gholston's year. there's so many awesome safeties next year, to take Barron now in rd 1 or rd 2, is effectively saying no TJ McDonald, no Bacarri Rambo, no Eric Reid, no Robert Lester, No Ray Ray Armstrong etc. iS Barron better than all of those guys? Is he better than any of those guys? Just cause it's a need position doesn't mean they should blow their wad with a 2012 safety. the 2013 safeties are going to rule over Barron's class.

Yes, I know about Polamalu's 4.33. He ran it at USC's then famously fast track. Lets face reality here, when has Polamalu ever looked like a 4.3 guy in the NFL? That's not even touching that Barron was a MUCH better and more productive defender against the pass than Polamalu was in college...which I've said already. I'll say this again, Polamalu the prospect is getting a huge boost because he became Polamalu the NFL player. There were plenty of people who questioned his ability to play FS due to his height and general lack of coverage ability (always a weakness even as a pro).

That second part is just unfathomably dumb. Ignoring that he is better than all those guys, what in the hell does a 2013 draft pick have to do with 2012? Yes, the 2013 class will be better than Barron's class (note you say class, not Barron the individual safety). No, that doesn't make any of them a slam dunk better prospect than Barron. How often do you start a year labeling a guy a first rounder who doesn't end up a first rounder? The answer is every year. McDonald is probably the only one of those guys really in Barron's class...and I think Barron's better. I mean seriously...Bacari Rambo? Ray Ray Armstrong? Lester was 2nd fiddle TO Barron at the same school in the same D for Jah's sake (though I actually really like him as a FS prospect himself). Armstrong is the safety prospect JiF was actually talking about when he said Barron was not a FS.

Ignoring that he is better than all those guys,

highly debatable.

what in the hell does a 2013 draft pick have to do with 2012?

if they go high safety this year they can't do it next year. They will be invested in the 2012 pick.

end of the day I don't think they go high safety either year. They just don't value the position.

Exactly. And the answer is no, Barron cant. He's a 4.6 - 4.7 guy.

That's not even touching that Barron was a MUCH better and more productive defender against the pass than Polamalu was in college...which I've said already.

You know who had similar production, Ahmad Black. You know what Ahmad Black lacks besides the size? Speed. Barron is in that boat too.

Solid player, might be a good pro. I have my doubts. He's certainly not worth the 16th overall selection. Luckily, Rex will feel the same way as there is no way in hell he puts value on a safety that high and certainly not Barron.

highly debatable.

Not for Rambo or Armstrong it isn't.

if they go high safety this year they can't do it next year. They will be invested in the 2012 pick.

That doesn't mean anything. There's actually two safety spots. Crazy, I know.

end of the day I don't think they go high safety either year. They just don't value the position.

O rly. I suppose this came from a direct source? Pretty sure they would value where the talent is to be had.

Exactly. And the answer is no, Barron cant. He's a 4.6 - 4.7 guy.

You know who had similar production, Ahmad Black. You know what Ahmad Black lacks besides the size? Speed. Barron is in that boat too.

Solid player, might be a good pro. I have my doubts. He's certainly not worth the 16th overall selection. Luckily, Rex will feel the same way as there is no way in hell he puts value on a safety that high and certainly not Barron.

You do realize how terrible that Black comparison is, right? Black isn't even 5'10" or 190 pounds for ****s sake, and nowhere CLOSE to first round discussion.

Why would Rex not value a safety that high? Just because? There's talks of him going as high as 14 to the Cowboys...Hell, overall he's probably the 4rd best DB in the class grouping safeties and corners. Sure, I'd take one of the draft's elite players over him but after that he's right in the tier below those guys, particularly when he's fully healthy.

You do realize how terrible that Black comparison is, right? Black isn't even 5'10" or 190 pounds for ****s sake, and nowhere CLOSE to first round discussion.

Why would Rex not value a safety that high? Just because? There's talks of him going as high as 14 to the Cowboys...Hell, overall he's probably the 4rd best DB in the class grouping safeties and corners.

Did I not specify that he lacked the size? The point was to dismiss this production soap box you were on. I gave you a far inferior athlete who had similar production in the same conference during the same time frame but besides the lack of size, has the lack of speed which will ultimately hurt Barron's success in the NFL. Point being, production is good and great but isnt the end all be all. Clearly.

He's not going 14th. Not a chance and me saying Rex doest put value on it is provided by how he's handled the position. Low end signings, Poole. Gets rid of the only coverage S we've had in the last 5 years, Rhodes. Didnt have a back up plan and he deploys Eric Smith and Jim Leonhard on a weekly basis. Pretty sure thats a good indication he doesnt put a high value on the safety position.

Did I not specify that he lacked the size? The

Yes, but only to get that out of the way. If Black was bigger he would have been viewed as a far more significant safety prospect. I just don't understand how going "here, I'm going to compare Barron to this shorter, way less athletic guy and call it legit because that guy also put up productive numbers" somehow reduces Barron. Black was put on the map because of his numbers. If he had Barron's size and I'm going to say speed because I think you underrate it, he could have gone way higher than he did. Even then, Barron has more than double the broken up passes...probably due to the ridiculous size/athleticism advantage he has over a prospect like Black.

They got rid of Rhodes because Rhdoes was/is a girl who wants to a model, not because they don't value the safety position. They've gotten rid of every problem child on the roster except Sanchez/Holmes since Rex came aboard and Rhodes was one of the first. Smith and Leonhard got put out there because there was no one else, and the safety situation league-wide is pretty garbage so there's no diamonds in the rough on the FA market (Pool is a limited exception as he's a solid player who gets hurt a ton). Who would they have picked up? What significant safety talent have they had the opportunity to pass on while Rex has been here anyway? I'm still convinced they would have jumped on Antrel Rolle if those stupid FA rules didn't apply back after the '09 season. Just because they haven't signed or drafted guys who weren't on the table in the first place doesn't mean they don't value the position. How can a guy who worked with Ed Reed for almost a decade not put value in a high end safety?

I think "settled" is the operative word here. You are settling for something less than what you deserve. The Jets deserve a better player at 16.

I was waiting for this post. I have no reply to it though I highly disagree with it. Just have to say that I thought it would come a lot sooner.

. If he had Barron's size and I'm going to say speed because I think you underrate it,

this is really the x factor. speed. whether black or barron is 5'10" or 6'1" doesn't really matter. the draft is really about speed. the speed matters a great deal.

We haven't seen Barron run yet. If at the end of the month, Barron blazes a sub 4.5 time, he's probably worth the pick. because he's been recovering, that's not real likely. Even if he was 100% i doubt he's a 4.4 guy. Remember Troy P ran 4.3 on a fast track. He can run it on the reduced gravity of the moon, it doesn't matter.

that's the type of athlete you have to be to go 16 in the draft.

If you run a 4.57, like Ed Reed did, fair enough, you go 10 slots later. And Ed Reed had more INT, more TD in 1 year less school.

I think you're right. I think the knock on him is because experts are saying that this is a weak class, not because people have actually watched him play the past few years to actually have an opinion on him. Im not saying that you did either, but you're using statistics and comparing them tpo current NFL players that are good which I think is a fair way of showing that this kid may have the potential and the experts and the fans who follow the experts may be overlooking talent.

Archived