I think I've settled on Mark Barron.

SenorGato

Another high OL/CB pick? DL again after a first and third last year?

you or I may not lke it but I could see them going into this with Ingram as their #1 target and Cordy Glenn as their backup target. Or even Brockers/Cox if they fall. Or Dre Kirk/Stephon Gilmore. All those names seem more likely than Mark Barron.

That's not my preference (you know I like Courtney Upshaw) but based on who they are bringing in for visits and who they have drafted in the past, i just don't see a high safety pick. Also look at the visit lists they have about 5 sleeper safeties on there. I could see Brandon Taylor in rd 5 or Jerron McMillian in rd 7.

and yes they probably do draft a RB, but not until rd 3 or beyond. Robert Turbin, Vick Ballard or another thumper.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Definitely not saying you're saying Barron sucks. Ive just seen you use that point about the team "not valuing" this position or that and wondering if you've thought it all out.

Btw what's the criteria for a "special" safety prospect? Don't those usually go top ten? Your Taylor's and Berry's....

We have no idea of Rex's draft preferences. He's been here 3 years. SSS much?

Not to mention, who besides me is REALLY hoping for Barron in this fanbase? There's people who are switching to "I see the logic so I wouldn't complain" but I don't see any "we HAVE to have this player" amongst the fan base.

Plus, what position have you not used thar argument for this offseason?

I'd be extremely happy with Barron...currently #2 behind DeCastro as my preferred pick...also like Ingram as well...the problem I have with projecting him to us is the lack of pre-draft visit unless you know something the rest of us don't...cause the last years under Rex they've used the visit to shore up their confidence in the pick.

Quick, list the high end safeties the Jets have passed up under Rex that they had a legitimate shot at getting. Have you considered that the opportunity to grab a top tier safety talent hasn't really presented itself? When's the last time the Jets took a WR in the first? A decade ago, when the mid founders became the starters anyway? Another high OL/CB pick? DL again after a first and third last year? A RUNNING BACK in the first?

So basically anything BUT safety....Based on "trends"...I don't buy it. My guess is they go BPA and Barron is in that discussion, easily.

Good point on the positions in the first...we do need the opportunity to get a trend line...maybe this is the year we grab the WR...

I like Bit's approach of past history being a window to the future. Based on that, I think you can bet that we will be selecting a runningback at some point in this draft. Probably a good bet we also draft a corner, maybe a guy who projects to being able to swing to safety.

I like Bit's approach of past history being a window to the future. Based on that, I think you can bet that we will be selecting a runningback at some point in this draft. Probably a good bet we also draft a corner, maybe a guy who projects to being able to swing to safety.

Everyone adds a new RB every year...wasn't breakin ground there, no offense Bit. Now using a first on one? Whole different story unless its Richardson.

Also don't think Rex and Tannenbaum have been together to have established any serious draft trends. I don't think a coach who worked with Ed Reed for a decade is going to devalue the safety position...

Also, perfectly understandable to value Ingram more. OLB is a need and he could should help with the pass rush more directly.

Everyone adds a new RB every year...wasn't breakin ground there, no offense Bit. Now using a first on one? Whole different story unless its Richardson.

Also don't think Rex and Tannenbaum have been together to have established any serious draft trends. I don't think a coach who worked with Ed Reed for a decade is going to devalue the safety position...

Also, perfectly understandable to value Ingram more. OLB is a need and he could should help with the pass rush more directly.

If the Jets draft a RB within the first 3 rounds I might lose my F'ing mind. The position is meaningless in today's NFL.

I don't think a coach who worked with Ed Reed for a decade is going to devalue the safety position...

its one thing to work with ed reed it's another to draft him. Rex was coaching the DL when the Ravens drafted Ed Reed. It's a huge stretch to imagine Rex pounding the table for Mark Barron.

side note Ed Reed was a far better prospect than Mark Barron. They aren't comparable. Which is why Barron is kind of a reach at 16 but I don't even want to get into that convo. Assume they have Barron valued as highly as the league valued Ed Reed, It's just not a pick they make.

If nothing else, I think at this point the Jets picking Barron seems less and less likely as the draft draws closer and there's still be no reports of a visit occurring or being scheduled. Whether that's because they expect him to be off the board, don't have him rated highly enough to think he's worth the 16th overall pick, or have no interest in putting that much investment into the safety position could certainly be debated, but at this point it doesn't seem as though the team is likely to go in that direction.

its one thing to work with ed reed it's another to draft him. Rex was coaching the DL when the Ravens drafted Ed Reed. It's a huge stretch to imagine Rex pounding the table for Mark Barron.

side note Ed Reed was a far better prospect than Mark Barron. They aren't comparable. Which is why Barron is kind of a reach at 16 but I don't even want to get into that convo. Assume they have Barron valued as highly as the league valued Ed Reed, It's just not a pick they make.

1) So Rex missed out on seeing Reed's impact?

2) disagreed with Reed being a significantly better prospect and I've said it a million times. Barron's bigger, more well rounded, just as intelligent, from as high profile a school and defense, and Reed basically only beat him out on INTs (where he beats everyone). You have the benefit of hindsight where he became a HOF, but the guy went in the 20's despite his INTs for a reason.

3) I'd buy the Barron not being "worth it" (according to what standard?) if i was confident he'd be sitting there at 16.

If nothing else, I think at this point the Jets picking Barron seems less and less likely as the draft draws closer and there's still be no reports of a visit occurring or being scheduled. Whether that's because they expect him to be off the board, don't have him rated highly enough to think he's worth the 16th overall pick, or have no interest in putting that much investment into the safety position could certainly be debated, but at this point it doesn't seem as though the team is likely to go in that direction.

This is the real obstacle...No visit is a big deal considering the Jets always draft from their visits.

2) disagreed with Reed being a significantly better prospect and I've said it a million times. Barron's bigger, more well rounded, just as intelligent, from as high profile a school and defense, and Reed basically only beat him out on INTs (where he beats everyone). You have the benefit of hindsight where he became a HOF, but the guy went in the 20's despite his INTs for a reason.

if Barron were truly as good as Reed, he'd have declared as year ago. Reed doesn't just beat Barron in INT. He beats him in every major category of play making, and he did it in 3 seasons.

if Barron were truly as good as Reed, he'd have declared as year ago. Reed doesn't just beat Barron in INT. He beats him in every major category of play making, and he did it in 3 seasons.

What? Why? Reed stayed for 4 years ('98-'01). Even then, how is that even relevant? He was getting first round talk last year up until he decided to stay in school anyway...

OTOH yea, you're right didn't notice Reed killed it in PD as well as INTs (and you've informed me about the returning INTs for TDs part). Barron beat him in tackles, FF....Of course, this would mean more to me if Reed was the only successful 1st round safety of the last decade. They're not even really similar types of players as Reed gives up alot of size to Barron and is far more willing to sell out for a big play. Still think the FS/DB you should be comparing him to is Polamalu, who Barron most definitely stacks with as a prospect. Reed only really entered the conversation because Rex coached him anyway...but sure, have that he was a better prospect.

Like Rainey in the 6th?

Like Rainey in the 6th?

Is that where he is projected? Rainey was twice the player of McKnight and the Jets took McKnight in what...4th, 5th?

Feel like the blazing speed and versatility will yield him a higher round. Not being a homer, really feel that way.

Is that where he is projected? Rainey was twice the player of McKnight and the Jets took McKnight in what...4th, 5th?

Feel like the blazing speed and versatility will yield him a higher round. Not being a homer, really feel that way.

The Jets took McKnight in the 4th because they have zero idea how to draft.

He's ranked between 4th and 6th depending on what you read, I was taking the piss out of stonehands because he ripped me in my mock for taking him in the 6th which I think would be a still if you got him there. He's probably going to be drafted in the 4th or 5th which I also wouldn't mind drafting him at (if we didn't waste our 4th on a useless QB)

The Jets took McKnight in the 4th because they have zero idea how to draft.

The Jets draft better than most teams in the league.

He's ranked between 4th and 6th depending on what you read, I was taking the piss out of stonehands because he ripped me in my mock for taking him in the 6th which I think would be a still if you got him there. He's probably going to be drafted in the 4th or 5th which I also wouldn't mind drafting him at (if we didn't waste our 4th on a useless QB)

5th seems right to me.

If you watched him at USC, you knew it was though.

Really? His Junior year was pretty studly.

The ones that are worse than them (most) and a maybe even a couple of the teams better than them.

If you can't draft a QB or a pass rusher in over a decade worth of picks then you can't be cconsidered a good drafting team. That's like saying you build awesome cars but can't figure out how to put an engine in them. It's ludicrous. Throw in not being able to find a big RB, WR, TE and safety, and maybe OLB in a decade's worth of picks and there you go. Revis and Mangold are spiffy, though. Let's give the GM a lifetime contract.

Which most teams?

I'd say about 90% of the NFL. We love to hate on the Jets but they've actually done a really good job at drafting. Gholston was a colossal bust but look at the top end of that draft, every player other than Jake Long and Ryan have been pretty sh*tty. DMC cant stay healthy, Chris Long is mediocre at best, Dorsey is meh, Sed Ellis is meh, Derrick Harvey is a bust...doesnt excuse the Gholston pick but maybe that was just a sh*tty top end?

And even with Sanchez in the equation and how inconsistent he's been - he's been more successful than his peers. Thats undeniable even with his ineptitude. And again, look at the top half of the draft - Tyson Jackson bust, Jason Smith meh, Stafford went nuts last season but couldnt stay healthy his first 2 years, Andre Smith has been good, Heyward-Bey bust, Monroe bust, Crabtree meh, Maybin meh.

The fact is, most teams suck at drafting we just follow the Jets so its more apparent and seems worse but the reality is, its better than most hence why the Jets have been a consistent playoff caliber team.

Ha! You're hard to debate with these days because I think you've lost a little grip on reality. ;-)

We can go all the way back to Bryan Thomas if you'd like to show the Jets have zero idea on how to draft. The depth on this team is awful. We havent been able to find a pass rusher in over 10 years. We gave up two picks for a guy with a bum knee. Drafted a kicker in the second round. Traded away a first round pick for a tight end that couldnt play. Drafted a corner in the 2nd round who couldn't cover in college. Moved up for a QB that everyone has already written off. Just gave up a pick for a QB that can't throw. We've drafted two fullbacks in the middle rounds twice over the past 7 years....this is just off the top.

Other than the Revis and Dbrick draft- we've been awful.

We can go all the way back to Bryan Thomas if you'd like to show the Jets have zero idea on how to draft. The depth on this team is awful. We havent been able to find a pass rusher in over 10 years. We gave up two picks for a guy with a bum knee. Drafted a kicker in the second round. Traded away a first round pick for a tight end that couldnt play. Drafted a corner in the 2nd round who couldn't cover in college. Moved up for a QB that everyone has already written off. Just gave up a pick for a QB that can't throw. We've drafted two fullbacks in the middle rounds twice over the past 7 years....this is just off the top. Other than the Revis and Dbrick draft- we've been awful.

You're talking about drafts from 10 years ago. I'm talking more recently. The Jets historically are one of the worst drafting teams ever. Dating back to all your examples...but since the great draft of 06, its been pretty solid, whether you want to agree or not.

06 A - DBrick, Mangold, Leon, B. Smith, E. Smith, D. Coleman - thats quite a haul.

07 A+ - Revis, Harris, Stuckey

08 C - but only because Gholston was such a bust. Keller, Lowery - solid picks.

09 B - Sanchez, Greene, Slauson - 3 starters

The next draft are hard to grade because they havent been able to get the full 3 year review

10 - Wilson is a player who will only get better, Vlad is in a make or break year but I think he'll do better in a power blocking scheme with Sparano, McKnight has been a very useful pick from the 4th hopefully he can do more, Connor has looked like a pointless pick but still could end up being a great FB who should be used more in Sparano's system

11 - I believe this will be an awesome draft - Mo Wilk is an absolute stud and I expect a great career from him, Kerley is going to make a career in the slot, still believe Ellis is our future NT and still holding out hope Powell is the steal of the draft like Casserly said he was.

Overall, you'd be hard pressed to find more than maybe 3 or 4 teams who've drafted better than the Jets in recent history.

You're talking about drafts from 10 years ago. I'm talking more recently. The Jets historically are one of the worst drafting teams ever. Dating back to all your examples...but since the great draft of 06, its been pretty solid, whether you want to agree or not.

06 A - DBrick, Mangold, Leon, B. Smith, E. Smith, D. Coleman - thats quite a haul.

07 A+ - Revis, Harris, Stuckey

08 C - but only because Gholston was such a bust. Keller, Lowery - solid picks.

09 B - Sanchez, Greene, Slauson - 3 starters

The next draft are hard to grade because they havent been able to get the full 3 year review

10 - Wilson is a player who will only get better, Vlad is in a make or break year but I think he'll do better in a power blocking scheme with Sparano, McKnight has been a very useful pick from the 4th hopefully he can do more, Connor has looked like a pointless pick but still could end up being a great FB who should be used more in Sparano's system

11 - I believe this will be an awesome draft - Mo Wilk is an absolute stud and I expect a great career from him, Kerley is going to make a career in the slot, still believe Ellis is our future NT and still holding out hope Powell is the steal of the draft like Casserly said he was.

Overall, you'd be hard pressed to find more than maybe 3 or 4 teams who've drafted better than the Jets in recent history.

Bradway is the reason I went back that far...and for whatever reason, he's still a decision maker.

2006 and 2007 were great, minus the idiotic choir boy picks....but this goes to show Mangini knew what the hell he was doing more than anything when it came to football players.

Lowery didnt have a position and isnt even on the team anymore. We traded up for Keller and he's average. Vlad looks out of the league bad. McKnight has averaged under 4 ypc. The fullback pick was pointless. And even then, we still havent been able to find a QB, a pass rusher or a guy that can score every time he touches the ball.

Bradway is the reason I went back that far...and for whatever reason, he's still a decision maker.

2006 and 2007 were great, minus the idiotic choir boy picks....but this goes to show Mangini knew what the hell he was doing more than anything when it came to football players.

Lowery didnt have a position and isnt even on the team anymore. We traded up for Keller and he's average. Vlad looks out of the league bad. McKnight has averaged under 4 ypc. The fullback pick was pointless. And even then, we still havent been able to find a QB, a pass rusher or a guy that can score every time he touches the ball.

the jets HC makes all decisions, Tanny just knows what deli to order the food from

We can go all the way back to Bryan Thomas if you'd like to show the Jets have zero idea on how to draft. \

bryan thomas is a starter on some great defenses and still a Jet 11 years later. if every first round pick worked out as well as Bryan Thomas... people remember that draft as the draft they should have taken Ed Reed but it's also the draft they could have taken mike rumph.

i generally agree with Jif the expectations on the draft from all fans (not just Jets fans) are way too high. its like baseball if you are batting .300 it's a good performance. i see these prospects come and go every year and most of em turn out to be garbage. and yes alot of teams draft worse than the Jets. look at the pats for example.

Bradway is the reason I went back that far...and for whatever reason, he's still a decision maker. 2006 and 2007 were great, minus the idiotic choir boy picks....but this goes to show Mangini knew what the hell he was doing more than anything when it came to football players. Lowery didnt have a position and isnt even on the team anymore. We traded up for Keller and he's average. Vlad looks out of the league bad. McKnight has averaged under 4 ypc. The fullback pick was pointless. And even then, we still havent been able to find a QB, a pass rusher or a guy that can score every time he touches the ball.

Lowery was very good for the Jets and he's now a starting safety for the Jags. If were judging the draft, that was a hell of a pick.

Vlad and McKnight need more time to evaluate IMO. 2 years isnt enough. Keller with a good QB would certainly be worth a 1st round pick though I'll agree it was a reach still dont necessarily think it was a bad pick. Connor was pointless, agreed.

Does anyone in the league have a player who scores every time he touches the ball? lol Lots of teams swing and miss on pass rushers thats why there is such a high demand the fact the Jets have had late round picks doesnt help that scenario either. 28 teams in the NFL havent found their QB, thats why teams will continue to reach for them in the draft.

Again, you can scrutinize the Jets and bash them all you want but I encourage you to look at the other teams just to compare. Its not nearly as bad as you think.

bryan thomas is a starter on some great defenses and still a Jet 11 years later. if every first round pick worked out as well as Bryan Thomas... people remember that draft as the draft they should have taken Ed Reed but it's also the draft they could have taken mike rumph. i generally agree with Jif the expectations on the draft from all fans (not just Jets fans) are way too high. its like baseball if you are batting .300 it's a good performance. i see these prospects come and go every year and most of em turn out to be garbage. and yes alot of teams draft worse than the Jets. look at the pats for example.

Agreed. If you find an 11 year starter in the first round, it wasnt a bad pick. And this is coming from someone who wanted to through his TV out his window when they didnt take Reed. lol

I'm no draft expert but I love it and have been following it for many years. The reality is, its kind of of a crap shoot and most teams are really really bad at it. The fact the Jets have found a future HOF'er in the last 5 years, instantly puts them significantly ahead of many other teams you could grade out.

Again, and I hate repeating myself but go compare teams drafts to the Jets. I guarantee you'll comeback and see exactly what I'm talking about. Steelers, Packers are really the only 2 teams that are far and away better than the Jets...others are either worse, much worse or pretty equivalent.

Archived