Mangold

Brick

Cro

Harris

Scott

Holmes

Pace

Pouha

Common thread? The ones that we drafted that are any good were ostensibly brought in by Mangini, who learned player evaluation vis a vis the Parcells tree. The other ones were high dollar FA signings (Holmes, trade + high dollar signing). The roster outside of that group is pedestrian to bad and that's a result of the attrition from blowing draft picks on bad trades and bad players. That's swell that they've since drafted a decent looking 3-4 end and spent a first on a guy who looks to be a career nickelback, but let's be real--the whole has been better than the sum of its parts under Rex. And, if last year was any indication, water is starting to find its own level over there at Florham Park.

Agreed. If you find an 11 year starter in the first round, it wasnt a bad pick. And this is coming from someone who wanted to through his TV out his window when they didnt take Reed. lol

I'm no draft expert but I love it and have been following it for many years. The reality is, its kind of of a crap shoot and most teams are really really bad at it. The fact the Jets have found a future HOF'er in the last 5 years, instantly puts them significantly ahead of many other teams you could grade out.

Again, and I hate repeating myself but go compare teams drafts to the Jets. I guarantee you'll comeback and see exactly what I'm talking about. Steelers, Packers are really the only 2 teams that are far and away better than the Jets...others are either worse, much worse or pretty equivalent.

Ravens, Giants, Niners....the good teams for the most part are better

Ravens, Giants, Niners....the good teams for the most part are better

The Ravens? Go look at their drafts. Not so hot bro.

Giants? Are very meh. Nicks and JPP are obviously great picks but nothing really impressive outside of them.

Niners? Really? Aldon Smith looks beastly, Willis 6 years ago...but who else? And they've had high picks consistently.

This kind of proves my point. You're either worse, much worse, or pretty equivalent.

The Jets Top Ten Players:

Revis

Mangold

Brick

Cro

Harris

Scott

Holmes

Pace

Pouha

Common thread? The ones that we drafted that are any good were ostensibly brought in by Mangini, who learned player evaluation vis a vis the Parcells tree. The other ones were high dollar FA signings (Holmes, trade + high dollar signing). The roster outside of that group is pedestrian to bad and that's a result of the attrition from blowing draft picks on bad trades and bad players. That's swell that they've since drafted a decent looking 3-4 end and spent a first on a guy who looks to be a career nickelback, but let's be real--the whole has been better than the sum of its parts under Rex. And, if last year was any indication, water is starting to find its own level over there at Florham Park.

Dont think thats fair. Havent had 3 years to judge the rest. And they have 3 starters out of Rex's first draft with Tanny. Wilson, Mo Wilk, Kerley, McKnight - are already contributing. The others havent had their shot but I think you'll see players out of Ellis and Vlad and hopefully Powell. Just a hunch and hope though.

And its total bullsh*t to give Mangini all the credit for those drafts. If he's such a great evaluater, tell me why the only person that he drafted worth a damn in Cleveland was the cant miss prospect Joe Haden meanwhile drafting with much higher picks.

In each case, by violent default.

Maybe, maybe not. Team hasnt had a losing season with those guys on the roster.

The Ravens? Go look at their drafts. Not so hot bro.

Giants? Are very meh. Nicks and JPP are obviously great picks but nothing really impressive outside of them.

Niners? Really? Aldon Smith looks beastly, Willis 6 years ago...but who else? And they've had high picks consistently.

This kind of proves my point. You're either worse, much worse, or pretty equivalent.

Ravens off the top- Ngata, Rice, Oher, Suggs, Grubbs, Yanda

Giants off the top- Nicks, Manningham, JPP, Webster, Thomas, Tuck, Osi, Phillips, Snee, Eli, Bradshaw..even Cruz you have to count.

There's a reason these teams always have a chance to win the Super Bowl and the Jets are the Jets.

Giants off the top- Nicks, Manningham, JPP, Webster, Thomas, Tuck, Osi, Phillips, Snee, Eli, Bradshaw..even Cruz you have to count.

There's a reason these teams always have a chance to win the Super Bowl and the Jets are the Jets.

The Jets havent had a chance to win the SB? I guess 09 and 10 were figments of my imagination.

And again, you're going back further than I was but whatever. Your hatred for everything Jets related is weird these days. I'm not going to try and convince you but I feel like my overall position is very accurate.

The Jets havent had a chance to win the SB? I guess 09 and 10 were figments of my imagination.

And again, you're going back further than I was but whatever. Your hatred for everything Jets related is weird these days. I'm not going to try and convince you but I feel like my overall position is very accurate.

yeah the reason is the quarterback

we spend all our time fighting over safeties and linebackers and who is gonna be the right tackle. the reason the giants won the Super Bowl is because of Eli. period.

yeah the reason is the quarterback

we spend all our time fighting over safeties and linebackers and who is gonna be the right tackle. the reason the giants won the Super Bowl is because of Eli. period.

And they drafted him. And gave up a sh*t ton to do it. Read Acorsi's scouting report, he nailed Eli. The Giants have smart people making football decisions. We have boobs.

09 and 10 were built off the backs of Mangini's picks and us going crazy in FA.

The reason i was going back that far is because the guys I named still play for their respective teams. The tenure for a Jet is short because they generally stink.

09 and 10 were built off the backs of Mangini's picks and us going crazy in FA.

The reason i was going back that far is because the guys I named still play for their respective teams. The tenure for a Jet is short because they generally stink.

Well. The team was making a switch from a 4-3 to a 3-4. That typically means you overhaul your team a bit. And how have the Jets gone crazy in FA? Bart Scott and Pace...who else?

Well. The team was making a switch from a 4-3 to a 3-4. That typically means you overhaul your team a bit. And how have the Jets gone crazy in FA? Bart Scott and Pace...who else?

I should have included them surrendering picks via trades as well.

Scott, Pace, Leonhard, Poole, Tomlinson, Mason, TJones, Edwards, Holmes, Cromartie, Shepphard, Jason Taylor- not to mention the trading up in the drafts for marginal players like Shonn Greene and even Dustin Keller.

Can even go further back with Faneca, Jenkins- both short term quick fixes.

Scott, Pace, Leonhard, Poole, Tomlinson, Mason, TJones, Edwards, Holmes, Cromartie, Shepphard, Jason Taylor- not to mention the trading up in the drafts for marginal players like Shonn Greene and even Dustin Keller.

You're killing that gimp snapperhead, Matt. Finish him!

Scott, Pace, Leonhard, LT - were those not good signings? Was Edward, TJ, Holmes and Cro, not worth the low pick they cost?

I'm not sure what you're looking for here bro. The Jets have done a great job of bringing in talent by any means necessary. That's what it takes. The proof is in the pudding. 3 losing seasons and 8 playoff appearances since 1997. You cant be nearly as awful as you say they are and maintain that level of consistency despite having sub-par Qb play. Sorry bro, you just cant.

Knock'em all you want, say whatever you want but your agenda doesnt add up. Plain and simple.

You cannot possibly be serious with this, you have gone off the deep end. So now the Jets are not allowed to sign a single free agent to their team at all? You have got to be kidding me. The fact that you're so desperate to continue your little hissy fit about the Jets offseason approach to include low-dollar acquisitions the likes of Leonhard, Pool, LT and Taylor as "going crazy in FA" is purely laughable. There's a great many legitimate things to gripe about regarding this team, yet you fail to actually justify a single one. The best part of this draft board is it is one of the view places on the site that isn't filled with endless excessive whining, so if that's all you've got to contribute, feel free to move along.

You cannot possibly be serious with this, you have gone off the deep end. So now the Jets are not allowed to sign a single free agent to their team at all? You have got to be kidding me. The fact that you're so desperate to continue your little hissy fit about the Jets offseason approach to include low-dollar acquisitions the likes of Leonhard, Pool, LT and Taylor as "going crazy in FA" is purely laughable. There's a great many legitimate things to gripe about regarding this team, yet you fail to actually justify a single one. The best part of this draft board is it is one of the view places on the site that isn't filled with endless excessive whining, so if that's all you've got to contribute, feel free to move along.

lol - you dont like baseless claims?

Are these really the contracts you want to point to in defending the front office? Really?

Who was talking about contracts?

Sorta part and parcel of the signings, no? It's cool to own a Camaro, but it's less cool if the Camaro cost you three times retail.

The market demands what the market demands. Did you see this years deals for VJax, Super Mario and low end guys like Laurent Robinson? Stupid money. FA is FA and you have to pay to play.

The top of that '08 draft WAS sh*tty. Jerod Mayo, a middle linebacker from Maryland, made it into the top ten. Not saying he's not talented, but a more talented draft that just doesn't happen.

Still don't get the problems with the Pace contract....Guys an excellent player, even if he's not in the tier with Suggs and Ware. Guess what? Both of those guys are paid like they're better than him and they didn't even have to hit FA where either would get HUGE money.

Oh and Jenkins stays healthy and that's an all time kind of trade...A GREAT gamble by Tannenbaum. That was picking up a 28 year old All Pro interior defensive lineman without giving up a first...how can that be considered anything but a steal without hindsight?

The top of that '08 draft WAS sh*tty. Jerod Mayo, a middle linebacker from Maryland, made it into the top ten. Not saying he's not talented, but a more talented draft that just doesn't happen.

Still don't get the problems with the Pace contract....Guys an excellent player, even if he's not in the tier with Suggs and Ware. Guess what? Both of those guys are paid like they're better than him and they didn't even have to hit FA where either would get HUGE money.

Oh and Jenkins stays healthy and that's an all time kind of trade...A GREAT gamble by Tannenbaum. That was picking up a 28 year old All Pro interior defensive lineman without giving up a first...how can that be considered anything but a steal without hindsight?

Mayo played for Tennessee. Very fast player. Low to the ground and explosive hitter.

The Jenkins injury risk existed at the time of the trade and was a major factor in his being available to the Jets. He was hurt several times for the Panthers though I believe he played the full season just prior to the trade. Also, very similar to Holmes, he was a guy the Panthers were happy to be rid of.

Mayo played for Tennessee. Very fast player. Low to the ground and explosive hitter.

The Jenkins injury risk existed at the time of the trade and was a major factor in his being available to the Jets. He was hurt several times for the Panthers though I believe he played the full season just prior to the trade. Also, very similar to Holmes, he was a guy the Panthers were happy to be rid of.

mayo's best yr was his rookie one, he is just an average LB, not great not bad nothin special

mayo's best yr was his rookie one, he is just an average LB, not great not bad nothin special

I think that's because he hurt his knee. He was certainly picked much higher than he was typically mocked, but I liked the pick at the time.

Well, if you actually read the thread instead of having this preconceived notion of a hissy-fit, you'd realize my point was the teams that know what the hell they're doing on draft day aren't forced to go after quick fix guys that are FA's or give up picks via trade...because these guys are already on their roster. The Jets cant figure out how to get a quality safety on the roster? Really? A decent running back? Its only the easiest position in the world to figure out. Maybe the Jets one day can unlock the code on how to actually draft a starting WR or even a defensive end.

As far as moving it along, there's nothing preventing you from putting me on ignore.

Good call on the school...He was a riser because of his strong workout numbers that included a 4.5...3?...40. It was just a horrible draft to be picking early. Honestly, after Gholston I thought Stewart the RB was the next option, and even as much as I liked him that would have been a mediocre pick. MAYBE Brandon Albert, but he was such an excellent LG/OL prospect than he's now an excellent pro LT. Plus that was the offseason they signed Faneca...It's just extremely hard to fault them on that '08 draft because Gholston should have been the pick anyway just based on positional value and upside. Sometimes things just don't work out.

Jenkins' injuries were definitely a major factor in him becoming a Jet. It was still a great risk for anyone to take...28 year old All Pro DTs don't just become available like that. Similar to Holmes I'm starting to think that sports writers have too much time on their hands so issues become huge issues (Jenkins was well liked here and caused zero problems besides getting hurt). Holmes is kind of an idiot for getting caught with weed, but beyond that he's just your typical ace WR who wants the damn ball because he knows what to do with it. I actually think Jenkins was in a worse position with his ex organization than Holmes was because IIRC he made it well known that he was just done with being a Panther. Holmes' main issue with the Steelers was probably that he was a WR, which isn't a position that a team like the Steelers pay a premium for or tolerate insubordination from. If Holmes played QB for the Steelers he'd still be a Steeler, but we're seeing them let their third #1 WR in a row leave this offseason (Plaxico, Holmes, and now Wallace unless his price drops or he agrees to the 1 year deal).

I think that's because he hurt his knee. He was certainly picked much higher than he was typically mocked, but I liked the pick at the time.

Definitely agree that it was a likeable pick, but mostly in the context of that draft. It just wasn't an impressive first round.

If you can't draft a QB or a pass rusher in over a decade worth of picks then you can't be cconsidered a good drafting team. That's like saying you build awesome cars but can't figure out how to put an engine in them. It's ludicrous. Throw in not being able to find a big RB, WR, TE and safety, and maybe OLB in a decade's worth of picks and there you go. Revis and Mangold are spiffy, though. Let's give the GM a lifetime contract.

That's ridiculous...One, Tannenbaum hasn't made over a decade's worth of picks and two if you literally mean over a decade then in 2000 they landed two pretty good ones and ALMOST had a QB until he blew out his already mediocre arm.

When they're you know...stacked against other teams the Jets are quite good at drafting...They've just missed out on some pretty big ones, and even then Sanchez isn't COMPLETELY done (breakout 2012 bitches).

That's ridiculous...One, Tannenbaum hasn't made over a decade's worth of picks and two if you literally mean over a decade then in 2000 they landed two pretty good ones and ALMOST had a QB until he blew out his already mediocre arm.

When they're you know...stacked against other teams the Jets are quite good at drafting...They've just missed out on some pretty big ones, and even then Sanchez isn't COMPLETELY done (breakout 2012 bitches).

Tannenbaum/Bradway have been colluding on picks for over a decade. Parcells was that 2000 draft. "Missing out" on some big ones is kiiiiiiiiiinda a problem.

Archived