I think I've settled on Mark Barron.

SenorGato

I think you're right. I think the knock on him is because experts are saying that this is a weak class, not because people have actually watched him play the past few years to actually have an opinion on him. Im not saying that you did either, but you're using statistics and comparing them tpo current NFL players that are good which I think is a fair way of showing that this kid may have the potential and the experts and the fans who follow the experts may be overlooking talent.

A good amount of experts still really like Barron. What hurts him with fans (and probably teams, but less so) is the perceived value of the safety position (as they look to sign two safeties) and his lack of workout numbers to back his first round grade.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd take him in the 20s if the Jets traded back and picked up something else to help get deeper. At 16 he just isn't worth the value of the pick. He isn't a game changer. He is a position of need, for sure, but that doesn't makeit worth taking him in the 16 slot.

so true i say drop back and he will be there at 20 or 21 if not that kid smith looks good too we need good players and thid kid will be there at 20

I think you're right. I think the knock on him is because experts are saying that this is a weak class, not because people have actually watched him play the past few years to actually have an opinion on him. Im not saying that you did either, but you're using statistics and comparing them tpo current NFL players that are good which I think is a fair way of showing that this kid may have the potential and the experts and the fans who follow the experts may be overlooking talent.

floyd is good but the kid from gt Hill is faster taller and jumps preatty good and he blocks really well and i hear floyd had some troubles in school with drinking we need somebody that can put brady on his a$$ i think we can get Hill in 2nd or the safety smith from nd

A good amount of experts still really like Barron. What hurts him with fans (and probably teams, but less so) is the perceived value of the safety position (as they look to sign two safeties) and his lack of workout numbers to back his first round grade.

Valid reasoning not to take him 16th overall IMO.

... barron would have been a 1st rounder last year... what did he do to make everyone dislike him other than be an all american, thorpe finalist, and national champion?

He still might slip into the back of the 1st. I think having offseason surgery that didnt allow him to work out is probably the biggest factor that puts him in the 2nd...that and value.

Valid reasoning not to take him 16th overall IMO.

He still might slip into the back of the 1st. I think having offseason surgery that didnt allow him to work out is probably the biggest factor that puts him in the 2nd...that and value.

It is, but the but is that his talent/skill/football ability is a similarly valid counterpoint.

the Landry signing pretty much kills the barron at 16 possibility. unless Landry somehow falls down the stairs between now and the draft (possible), they are not going to use a 1 at the position. I still think he's a factor in the rd2 convo, and depending on his pro day, he could fall to that spot.

the Landry signing pretty much kills the barron at 16 possibility. unless Landry somehow falls down the stairs between now and the draft (possible), they are not going to use a 1 at the position. I still think he's a factor in the rd2 convo, and depending on his pro day, he could fall to that spot.

Team needs two safeties. If he even makes it to round 2 he's no doubt a factor.

so if they sign Atogwe (which is rumored) will you give up the Barron dream? how many safeties will it take before you allow that the Jets aren't gonna use a high pick at safety?

Well I'd prefer the 2nd one not be as finished as Atogwe, but that might seal the deal. Maybe.

• 3 weeks later...

What's causing the switch? JUST as he's moving up and looking like a goner.

Well, I've never really not liked him. Just been dead set on a pass rusher and dont like the value of a S that early and didnt think he was that good of a prospect. But the closer the draft gets the more I feel like that position in the draft has the biggest risk associated. Makes me think we should look else where. I've heard a couple of Casserly and Mayock breakdowns and those my 2 favorite when it comes to this sh*t...and they were very good. Feel like him and DeCastro might be the picks, if they are there.

Oh yeah Casserly called him his 7th best prospect....Personally since I did my mock the door opens as early as 10 to the Bills for Barron....their CBs have talent, but Wilson is up there in age and Byrd was hurt and is an upcoming FA.

The team needs a playmaker desperately and all the alleged pass rushers left on the board don't seem to have that special JPP-type burst. If Barron gets 4-7 picks a year, the defense improves by a lot. Unless there's some secret pass rush prospect that's blowing up on sackSEER, I want Barron. Overall, picking 16th here is depressing considering what's left.

No thanks. Not worth the 16th overall pick. Decent safety in a weak safety class. He's a reach pick based on need which is making him sexier than he really is.

Agreed and I'm a BAMA boy. I see us trading down perhaps and then selecting him late in the 1st round. A while ago I saw mock drafts having us take him in the 2nd round. I can't see him lasting that long.

If we can trade back and recoup a 4th I'd love the pick. There is some real depth in the 3rd 4th rds at OL, TE, and even QB (think Foles could fall to the 4th). Nate Potter and Lucas Nix would be solid 4th rd picks as would my sleeper TE Ladarius Green, or Tuirbin, Hill or Chris Rainey as far as RB. Toon Childs and Streeter could also be had in this range at WR. I guess waht I'm saying is, at 16, unless a true stud falls, its best to trade back this year and stockpile the deeper positions with the BAP approach. I really dispise Tanny for tossing away our 4th this year for a useless QB2.,

i don't think the Jets will draft Barron. Either bc he went before 16 or even if he is there. I think we would actually take an offer to trade down if he is there at 16. There are plenty of teams that would be willing to move up in the draft to 16 to nab Barron. We desperately need draft picks for this year and next year.

when have the Jets ever prioritized the safety position? such that they'd use a first rounder on it?

the mark barron thing is more about what fans hope will happen and less about what the team will actually do.

historically, it's just not a priority for Rex, Tanny or anyone in the scouting dept.

when have the Jets ever prioritized the safety position? such that they'd use a first rounder on it?

the mark barron thing is more about what fans hope will happen and less about what the team will actually do.

historically, it's just not a priority for Rex, Tanny or anyone in the scouting dept.

Have we ever traded back in the 1st and gotten more pick? I can only remember trading them away.

Have we ever traded back in the 1st and gotten more pick? I can only remember trading them away.

not under the bradway/tannenbaum regime. i remember the bill parcells trade down in 1997 when he traded away from pace and walter jones, for the rights to select james farrior. they got a bunch of worthless players out of the deal, if memory serves, derrick ward and jason ferguson were the only players of value.

Historically no team takes a lot of safeties in the first round. In the three years Rex has been here they haven't taken one safety which by the same logic could/would mean no safety will be taken at any point. That also means you would/should/could forget Linebacker too as they've yet to pick one of those too.

That also means you would/should/could forget Linebacker too as they've yet to pick one of those too.

they took Bryan Thomas once upon a time. and David Harris with a 2nd. the earliest they've gone with safety is eric Smith in the late 3rd.

people often bring up Rex and Ed Reed. Rex didn't clamor for Reed. he was coaching the DL until 2005 when he was made DC. rex will use a great safety but he won't break his neck asking for one.

they took Bryan Thomas once upon a time. and David Harris with a 2nd. the earliest they've gone with safety is Brad Smith in the late 3rd.

people often bring up Rex and Ed Reed. Rex didn't clamor for Reed. he was coaching the DL until 2005 when he was made DC. rex will use a great safety but he won't break his neck asking for one.

I'm talking about the three years Rex has been here. The rest of it is a different regime imo. I don't think Tannenbaum holds major weight in picks as other GM's, I think he differs to his Coaching staff more than most. My point was there isn't enough history to make a case one way or another.

I'm talking about the three years Rex has been here.

ok well in that time they haven't used a single damn draft pick at safety. let alone a 1st rounder. they've drafted DL, OL and CB tho. they would rather use late round picks on wr like mcknight than on safeties. they drafted a fullback. at least prior to rex they had the rhodes/maddox draft. rex ryan might care more about punters than he does about safeties. the fans demand a safety who can do all sorts of great things, Rex wants a tackler. period. He will start two SS again, just like he did last year and the year before. and the defense will be great regardless of the lack of a coverage safety. Fact of the matter, they had a coverage safety in Lowery and traded him away. Rex has no priority toward getting a great safety.

i don't think the Jets will draft Barron. Either bc he went before 16 or even if he is there. I think we would actually take an offer to trade down if he is there at 16. There are plenty of teams that would be willing to move up in the draft to 16 to nab Barron. We desperately need draft picks for this year and next year.

If he's there, that would be an ideal scenario. I'm not huge fan of taking safeties that high. I'm warming up to Barron but ideally, if he's there and there is a suitor, a trade back scenario would be quite nice.

when have the Jets ever prioritized the safety position? such that they'd use a first rounder on it? the mark barron thing is more about what fans hope will happen and less about what the team will actually do. historically, it's just not a priority for Rex, Tanny or anyone in the scouting dept.

True but you could argue that he's done it in FA so there is some type of a priority. One of his first orders of business was to bring Leonhard with him. They saw the void there last season and just signed Landry while talks are they have been targeting other FA's. I think they value the position but probably not enough to put a 1st round into a safety...which I really cant blame them. Though I'm warming up to Barron, taking a safety at 16 isnt the ideal scenario IMO.

If he's there, that would be an ideal scenario. I'm not huge fan of taking safeties that high. I'm warming up to Barron but ideally, if he's there and there is a suitor, a trade back scenario would be quite nice.

True but you could argue that he's done it in FA so there is some type of a priority. One of his first orders of business was to bring Leonhard with him. They saw the void there last season and just signed Landry while talks are they have been targeting other FA's. I think they value the position but probably not enough to put a 1st round into a safety...which I really cant blame them. Though I'm warming up to Barron, taking a safety at 16 isnt the ideal scenario IMO.

Personally, can see the Jets trading back this year...have a feeling the Jets board at 16 looks like...and if one of them is not there and someone wants to move up the Jets could move.

Ingram

Brockers

Floyd

Glenn

The reason I say that is the Jets usually draft from their pre-draft visit and I've yet to see a report where they've worked out Barron. For whatever reason, the Jets especially under Rex just don't value the position...

We have no idea of Rex's draft preferences. He's been here 3 years. SSS much?

Not to mention, who besides me is REALLY hoping for Barron in this fanbase? There's people who are switching to "I see the logic so I wouldn't complain" but I don't see any "we HAVE to have this player" amongst the fan base.

Plus, what position have you not used thar argument for this offseason?

Plus, what position have you not used thar argument for this offseason?

i am motivated by one thing: predicting the first round. the Jets draft pick can be great or it can be terrible, what I want to do is predict it before it happens. My point is a simple one, betting on the Jets to draft a safety in rd 1, seems like a long shot. that's based on historical trends (both with and without Rex) and yes 3 years is a trend. a guy doesn't have to be here for 10 years to know there's a trend. I don't pretend to know what's gonna happen, but for any team to use a 1st round pick on a safety, he's gotta be special. for the Jets to use a 1st round pick, seems highly unlikely.

let's look at the safeties rex values: Leonard who was undrafted i believe and Eric Smith who was a 3rd rounder. He signed Landry who was a high pick but extremely injury prone and on a one year deal. overall we can say this team doesn't invest long term money in the S position, and that would be an accurate statement.

What positions do they invest in? OL, DL, CB and to a lesser extent, QB, RB, LB and WR.

note im not saying Barron sucks. what I am saying is the Jets dont seem to prioritize this position. If they do draft Barron, it will be against all the evidence.

i am motivated by one thing: predicting the first round. the Jets draft pick can be great or it can be terrible, what I want to do is predict it before it happens. My point is a simple one, betting on the Jets to draft a safety in rd 1, seems like a long shot. that's based on historical trends (both with and without Rex) and yes 3 years is a trend. a guy doesn't have to be here for 10 years to know there's a trend. I don't pretend to know what's gonna happen, but for any team to use a 1st round pick on a safety, he's gotta be special. for the Jets to use a 1st round pick, seems highly unlikely.

let's look at the safeties rex values: Leonard who was undrafted i believe and Eric Smith who was a 3rd rounder. He signed Landry who was a high pick but extremely injury prone and on a one year deal. overall we can say this team doesn't invest long term money in the S position, and that would be an accurate statement.

What positions do they invest in? OL, DL, CB and to a lesser extent, QB, RB, LB and WR.

Quick, list the high end safeties the Jets have passed up under Rex that they had a legitimate shot at getting. Have you considered that the opportunity to grab a top tier safety talent hasn't really presented itself? When's the last time the Jets took a WR in the first? A decade ago, when the mid founders became the starters anyway? Another high OL/CB pick? DL again after a first and third last year? A RUNNING BACK in the first?

So basically anything BUT safety....Based on "trends"...I don't buy it. My guess is they go BPA and Barron is in that discussion, easily.

I have to agree with Bit on this one, I really don't see the FO taking a S until the 3rd or later especially if they bring in Old Black Eric Smith.

There's also no chance Barron last till the 2nd round when we draft unless he majorly ****s up before then draft, he'll be drafted in the top 25.

Archived