Cimini: Visitors Day in Florham Park

flgreen

Visitors day in Florham Park

March, 15, 2012

Mar 15

11:45

AM ET

By Rich Cimini

The Jets are scheduled to host at least three free agents Thursday in Florham Park -- WR Chaz Schilens (Raiders), QB Drew Stanton (Lions) and S Brandon Meriweather (Bears).

By most standards, these are second-tier free agents (maybe third), but the Jets have identified them as priority targets. It wouldn't be at all surprising if they sign one or two over the next day or two, with Schilens and Stanton the most likely candidates. Stanton is having dinner Thursday night with team officials and will visit the facility Friday.

Meriweather also is drawing interest from the Redskins and Broncos. The Jets are having discussions with other safeties as well, namely Reggie Nelson (Bengals) and LaRon Landry (Redskins), but they could be out of their price range. Remember this about Rex Ryan defenses: They put the big money in the cornerbacks, not the safeties (Ed Reed being the exception, of course).

The Jets also will be watching closely to what unfolds in Buffalo, where the Bills are said to be finalizing a deal with stud DE Mario Williams . Memo to Jets offensive line: Get ready.

I hope we sign Reggie Nelson. That's the guy I want. Stanton and Schillenz are fine. I could take or leave them both, but nelson I want.

That's going to be a matter of $ Bean. Nelson might be out of their market. I think the Jets hope they are going to have a trifector today.

LaRon Landry a couple have mentioned take a shot with often injuried guy and hope you get a gem

Guy missed what? 15 games in two years? Has an Achilles injury he won't get operated on?

Really rolling the dice there. If they Sign Stanton and Schilens, I wouldn't mind seeing them spend a bit more money on Nelson, But who the hell is the RT going to be?

That's going to be a matter of $ Bean. Nelson might be out of their market. I think the Jets hope they are going to have a trifector today.

But... but.... we just cut to guys and got another 1/1 mil. That's not enough?????

Any idea what Nelson is looking for?

But... but.... we just cut to guys and got another 1/1 mil. That's not enough?????

Any idea what Nelson is looking for?

So far in FA the teams have been giving away the farm. Nelson was a 1st round pick (21?) who has played well. S's in this years FA are scarce. i think someone is going to over pay him.

What's that #? Don't have a clue the way the market is going right now

So far in FA the teams have been giving away the farm. Nelson was a 1st round pick (21?) who has played well. S's in this years FA are scarce. i think someone is going to over pay him.

What's that #? Don't have a clue the way the market is going right now

The numbers this year are nuts. I think you are right unfortunately he will not be a Jet due to that. I also agree with you that we'd better get a solid RT because Mario just signed in buffalo.

I agree.

However, Jets fans had the same argument about Bob Sanders last year. Risk/reward.

Sanders was a walking injury. Landry is just injured. For the right price he could be a coup, and it sounds like the Jets are all about the right price this year.

Quinn and nelson make sense but I hope we don't sign mr glass he can't stay healthy, I'm guessing that's the reason no other team wants to take a look at a tall speed demon.

He scheduled a visit with the reigning NFC west champions, the 49ers. They ended up signing Randy Moss who showed he still had some speed left. The guy has elite physical tools, is still only 26 years old, he's worth a flier. Yes he's injury prone, but when guys like Bob Sanders can still get a contract, albeit incentive laden, there's no reason a kid like Chaz won't either.

Quinn and nelson make sense but I hope we don't sign mr glass he can't stay healthy, I'm guessing that's the reason no other team wants to take a look at a tall speed demon.

If they can bring him in for cheap, I think it's certainly worth a shot to let him come in and compete. You just don't let it influence your other FA and drafts plans and then if it doesn't work out you dump him or toss him onto IR.

Archived