Alex Smith visiting Miami Dolphins

GREENBEAN

I've always veiwed Smith as a loveable loser.

Gonna take a little extra digging down to find the hate...

Manning, Flynn, & Garrard would've been so much easier.

Once he puts on that Miami uniform, he'll just become another unlikeable loser. I can't think of one likeable Miami Dolphin player, ever.

I've always veiwed Smith as a loveable loser.

Gonna take a little extra digging down to find the hate...

Manning, Flynn, & Garrard would've been so much easier.

The new Chad Pennington....down to the Mediocre arm and dreams of midtier rankings.

That said, 8 million is about 2/3s of what a real QB makes if not a little less. That sounds about right for a mid tier starter who can do the job until an actual talent can be developed or picked up. Even if they dont sign him that's probably very close to what he gets if he's signed before the draft.

No, lets not negate the entire season.

This season, the 49ers were the 26th ranked offense. Which, to save you the trouble, was 1 spot behind the Jets. They were the 29th ranked passing offense.

So, the resurgence of Alex Smith basically improved them to "still one of the worst offenses in the league".

I'm glad we didn't ignore the whole season.

lol. Though you cant argue with stats, what I can do is laugh because this goes to show you how stats can be pimped if you dont know how to cut through the bullsh_t. I made the statement about negating his entire season, and you provided me with the offense entire season, which Alex is part of so I must accept. Let me complete this circle and do both the personal and offensive acheivements to give a clearer picture given how glad you are not to be ignoring his (and now their) whole offensive season.

Lets talk about what this team is, which is first and foremost a ground and pound team. So in that case im expecting them to be in the high 20's in "total offense" given the nature of such style of offense. Just look at the top 10 offenses contrary to the latter 10 and it'll show virtually pass happy football teams.

Now with this rushing style of offense, in which the 49ers were 4th in the league, Smith complimented such a rushing style of offense. Lets check out what HE did, and lets not forget, this guy managed an offense that statistically was 26th in total offense right?

Smith had the 9th best QB rating with a 90+ (top 10)

From what I see Smith had the fewest INT's for a starting QB with 5 (#1) and started all 16 games.

Smith is ranked #11 in PCT at 61.3%

Smith ranks #17 in Yards Per Pass attempt which is 7.07 which is the 2nd best behind Matt Moore who wasnt even the starting QB in Miami to start the season in respects to QB's playing on teams that are more of a Ground and Pound style of offense. practically every other QB on that list ahead of him in a pass first style offense, which would conclude to me that he's the best QB in a rush first defense, but thats just me not ignoring the stats on the whole season you know...

Smith had 6 4th Quarter Comebacks/Game winning drives in 2011, against the Bengals, Seahawks, Eagles, Giants, Lions and Saints. 4 of those 6 teams were playoff teams, the Saints were #1 in offense, and the game in which the 49ers beat the saints with a game winning drive from Smith was quite dramatic. Smith technically had 2 game winning drives but the 49ers defense allowed the Saints to score and Smith had to march down the field again with about 1 minute left on the clock in a playoff game against the Saints to win 36-32. Here's the footage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JG4JOQ56l9A

He was 17th in the league with 17 TD's right behind Michael Vick.

Now on to the offensive team effort that Smith Lead (that was JUST 26th in total offense and 29th in passing lol)

The 9ers, a team that was 26th overall in total offense was tied for 10th in points per game with the Houston Texans (23.8 ppg)

They rarely turned the ball over with the least INT's and the 5th least in FUM's. Mind you this is a ground and pound team. The 4 teams that had less fumbles were Pats, Panthers, Falcons, Saints. Practically all "pass 1st" teams.

Smith as the QB of the 9ers had some very impressive win streaks the 1st to start the season was an 8 game winning streak and headed towards the end of the season with a 5 game winning streak. they never lost 2 games in a row last year and their shortest winning streak last year was 5 games.

Alex Smith had a very good year and he did much more than just "manage" an offense, and making it seem like the "emergence of Alex Smith" made them one of the worsts offenses in football is total bullsh_t, especially when it comes to stats that are more telling like points, wins, turnovers, completion % etc. in respects to the style of offense they were running in th first place. To say anything less than the kid was producing would be ignoring what he did the whole season, while using stats that dont tell the complete story.

Remember that fable of the dog with the bone in his mouth looking in the water at the other dog with the seemingly bigger bone? He tried to grab the other dogs bone and only ended up losing his in the water because the other dog was his own reflection . That's how I see what the niners are doing right now. Make sense? who knows?? :biggrin:

I feel you bro. I guess we'll have to see how this plays out to find out.

lol. Though you cant argue with stats, what I can do is laugh because this goes to show you how stats can be pimped if you dont know how to cut through the bullsh_t. I made the statement about negating his entire season, and you provided me with the offense entire season, which Alex is part of so I must accept. Let me complete this circle and do both the personal and offensive acheivements to give a clearer picture given how glad you are not to be ignoring his (and now their) whole offensive season.

Lets talk about what this team is, which is first and foremost a ground and pound team. So in that case im expecting them to be in the high 20's in "total offense" given the nature of such style of offense. Just look at the top 10 offenses contrary to the latter 10 and it'll show virtually pass happy football teams.

Now with this rushing style of offense, in which the 49ers were 4th in the league, Smith complimented such a rushing style of offense. Lets check out what HE did, and lets not forget, this guy managed an offense that statistically was 26th in total offense right?

From what I see Smith had the fewest INT's for a starting QB with 5 (#1) and started all 16 games.

Smith ranks #17 in Yards Per Pass attempt which is 7.07 which is the 2nd best behind Matt Moore who wasnt even the starting QB in Miami to start the season in respects to QB's playing on teams that are more of a Ground and Pound style of offense. practically every other QB on that list ahead of him in a pass first style offense, which would conclude to me that he's the best QB in a rush first defense, but thats just me not ignoring the stats on the whole season you know...

Smith had 6 4th Quarter Comebacks/Game winning drives in 2011, against the Bengals, Seahawks, Eagles, Giants, Lions and Saints. 4 of those 6 teams were playoff teams, the Saints were #1 in offense, and the game in which the 49ers beat the saints with a game winning drive from Smith was quite dramatic. Smith technically had 2 game winning drives but the 49ers defense allowed the Saints to score and Smith had to march down the field again with about 1 minute left on the clock in a playoff game against the Saints to win 36-32. Here's the footage.

Now on to the offensive team effort that Smith Lead (that was JUST 26th in total offense and 29th in passing lol)

The 9ers, a team that was 26th overall in total offense was tied for 10th in points per game with the Houston Texans (23.8 ppg)

They rarely turned the ball over with the least INT's and the 5th least in FUM's. Mind you this is a ground and pound team. The 4 teams that had less fumbles were Pats, Panthers, Falcons, Saints. Practically all "pass 1st" teams.

Smith as the QB of the 9ers had some very impressive win streaks the 1st to start the season was an 8 game winning streak and headed towards the end of the season with a 5 game winning streak. they never lost 2 games in a row last year and their shortest winning streak last year was 5 games.

Alex Smith had a very good year and he did much more than just "manage" an offense, and making it seem like the "emergence of Alex Smith" made them one of the worsts offenses in football is total bullsh_t, especially when it comes to stats that are more telling like points, wins, turnovers, completion % etc. in respects to the style of offense they were running in th first place. To say anything less than the kid was producing would be ignoring what he did the whole season, while using stats that dont tell the complete story.

But, but hes supposed to suck

All fine and good. But, not good enough to win a championship according to their coach.

The style of offense they played is a result of having a QB who's only capable of playing that style of offense. The NFL rules have made it a passing league. They encourage it. No one chooses to run the 49ers offense, they do it because they have no other choice. Smith did a good job of not ******* it up. Unfortunately, not ******* it up isn't enough to win Super Bowls anymore, because someone else always ****s up, and you need the QB to step up.

All fine and good. But, not good enough to win a championship according to their coach.

The style of offense they played is a result of having a QB who's only capable of playing that style of offense. The NFL rules have made it a passing league. They encourage it. No one chooses to run the 49ers offense, they do it because they have no other choice. Smith did a good job of not ******* it up. Unfortunately, not ******* it up isn't enough to win Super Bowls anymore, because someone else always ****s up, and you need the QB to step up.

Thats one arguement I cant argue with brother. One thing I did say was that they're technically not doing him dirty, he is a free agent. I guess coaches not believing you can win the big one simply by not ******* up the opportunity for the team isnt good enough when you have Peyton Manning available.

Remember that fable of the dog with the bone in his mouth looking in the water at the other dog with the seemingly bigger bone? He tried to grab the other dogs bone and only ended up losing his in the water because the other dog was his own reflection . That's how I see what the niners are doing right now. Make sense? who knows?? :biggrin:

As an update I think Greenbean presented a great point that just came to be in the past few hours. Now that Peyton will be a bronco it looks like the 9ers are on the verge of losing their own bone in the attempt of trying to get a bigger one.

No matter what people say about Smith, this is a dude that was 1 drive away from the SB and wasnt a QB that messed up an opportunity for the team. 5 of the 13 wins the 49ers had were 4th qtr comeback/gamewinning drives in the reg season and 1 in the playoffs.....all due to the passing game of Smith. And his individual stats shows that last year he was an above average QB on an elite running team. Thats pretty damn good.

Now the 9ers dont get Manning, Flynn is signed and Smith is a free agent that may have taken this situation as disrespect. If Smith doesnt return the 9ers just took an instant downgrade at QB with the only other QB available now will be Tim Tebow????

They should have renewed his contract before the season ended, and if they didnt they should have made sure that they got Peyton if that was the reason for not extending him and allowing him to go into free agency. I do think Smith will be back now, but they may have to pay him alittle more than they would have if they just extended him during last season.

This is a perfect example on why Im glad that the Jets didnt pursue Manning and extended Sanchez.

As an update I think Greenbean presented a great point that just came to be in the past few hours. Now that Peyton will be a bronco it looks like the 9ers are on the verge of losing their own bone in the attempt of trying to get a bigger one.

No matter what people say about Smith, this is a dude that was 1 drive away from the SB and wasnt a QB that messed up an opportunity for the team. 5 of the 13 wins the 49ers had were 4th qtr comeback/gamewinning drives in the reg season and 1 in the playoffs.....all due to the passing game of Smith. And his individual stats shows that last year he was an above average QB on an elite running team. Thats pretty damn good.

Now the 9ers dont get Manning, Flynn is signed and Smith is a free agent that may have taken this situation as disrespect. If Smith doesnt return the 9ers just took an instant downgrade at QB with the only other QB available now will be Tim Tebow????

They should have renewed his contract before the season ended, and if they didnt they should have made sure that they got Peyton if that was the reason for not extending him and allowing him to go into free agency. I do think Smith will be back now, but they may have to pay him alittle more than they would have if they just extended him during last season.

This is a perfect example on why Im glad that the Jets didnt pursue Manning and extended Sanchez.

I think everything you said here is totally fair up until the last part of the last sentence.

Everything you said is still valid without extending Sanchez. I'm not sure giving him all of the guaranteed money was indeed necessary. I would have liked him to prove himself before we assured him he'd have 2013 as well.

49ers were in a tough spot, with Manning, you have to love them. With no one, you've got troubles. What they should have probably done is franchised Smith, and done this manning thing on the DL, trading Smith if they pulled it off. Smith will come back though, hurt feelings aside, 49ers are still a better place for him than Miami. It's a business, and he'll come back I think.

I think everything you said here is totally fair up until the last part of the last sentence.

Everything you said is still valid without extending Sanchez. I'm not sure giving him all of the guaranteed money was indeed necessary. I would have liked him to prove himself before we assured him he'd have 2013 as well.

49ers were in a tough spot, with Manning, you have to love them. With no one, you've got troubles. What they should have probably done is franchised Smith, and done this manning thing on the DL, trading Smith if they pulled it off. Smith will come back though, hurt feelings aside, 49ers are still a better place for him than Miami. It's a business, and he'll come back I think.

Me too. I would have liked the competition. It just seemed like it was either Mark Sanchez or Peyton Manning. The Jets never once gave me the impression that they were going to actually do the right thing and put fire under Sanchez through signing a very good QB to compete/learn from. I said they should have gone after Jason Campbell and many people thought that it was a waste of time because he wanted a starting position, he's now backing up Cutler which was a great signing by the bears.

I feel that the Jets even entertaining the thought of Manning when they should have been thinking long term put them in a position where now they had to give an extension (though from what I hear it freed of cap space) and missed out on bringing value to the team.

But given the fact that the Jets did entertain then I have to atleast be glad with the fact that they didnt disrupt Sanchez by forcibly sitting him, however, as stated he needs to get the notion that he needs to produce in order to keep his job. Who the **** is Drew Stanton?....really? lol.

I also think that Smith will go back, but I think he's going to milk the cow a bit for more money which I agree with since they approached the situation the way they did. Leaving the 9ers for any other team that I can see (miami for example) is a downgrade. The 9ers can make the superbowl. They may not be fav's but if the dice rolls right it could happen.

Archived