Possible Trade Up Scenario

RyanBe_Tweetin

Recently, there have been reports of the Jets looking to trade up in the first for Ingram. Let's say that The Jets trade with the Panthers for the 9th overall selection and the top 8 falls like this:

1. Luck

2. RG3

3. Kalil

4. Richardson

5. Claiborne

6. Blackmon

7. Floyd

8. Tannehill

This would mean the jets have their choice from Ingram, Coples, Cox etc. If this does happen, should the Jets take Ingram over Coples and Cox? Also,should they take one of these guys over Kuechly or Reiff?

I'd rather see no trade up like everyone else. The one trade up I'd be alright with would be packaging 5th, 6th, and 7th round picks to move up as far as they can go, since they're forced to make 4 picks in rounds 6 and 7 anyway with the comp picks. If they had to do another trade up, moving the 2nd and 3rd round picks to get into late round 1 would be interesting.

To answer the question you actually asked, I would order the players Cox - Ingram - Kuechly - Coples - Reiff. Cox is a monster and would bring pass rush from the 5 tech spot and good versatility, Ingram's a great chess piece and very versatile as well he just doesn't have the ideal size Cox has, Kuechly is a great all around prospect just doesn't fill that big of a need, Coples I like but I'm not sure where he fits, and Reiff I'm not the biggest fan of and I'd rather a road grader at RT.

the answer to this question (who do they take) is evidence why they might not even need to trade up. I'd say 40% chance Ingram is there at 16. He doesnt appeal to 4-3 teams. Arizona is probably the biggest hurdle.

Coples is probably a higher rated prospect, to be honest. He comes from a highly talented tradition at UNC and even with all his motor concerns, had 5 more career sacks than Ingram. (best case he's Peppers worse case he's greg Ellis). Coples at 16 would be an absolute steal. He'd be like Johnny Abe. explode for 3 sacks 1 game and be a ghost the next. but when he's on he's unblockable.

the answer to this question (who do they take) is evidence why they might not even need to trade up. I'd say 40% chance Ingram is there at 16. He doesnt appeal to 4-3 teams. Arizona is probably the biggest hurdle.

Coples is probably a higher rated prospect, to be honest. He comes from a highly talented tradition at UNC and even with all his motor concerns, had 5 more career sacks than Ingram. (best case he's Peppers worse case he's greg Ellis). Coples at 16 would be an absolute steal. He'd be like Johnny Abe. explode for 3 sacks 1 game and be a ghost the next. but when he's on he's unblockable.

why wouldnt Jills take Couples/Upshaw or Ingram, they have makings of a great Def if they took one, anderson is not a spring chicken

Where does Coples play in the Jets' defense?

why wouldnt Jills take Couples/Upshaw or Ingram, they have makings of a great Def if they took one, anderson is not a spring chicken

the bills just spent 50 million dollars on a defensive end... they aren't gonna draft another one at 10. in fact all signs point to the buffalo bills trying to trade down.

Where does Coples play in the Jets' defense?

he plays a big OLB like Mario Williams in Houston, and pass rushes from any of the spots on nickel downs. he even has the length to 5 tech but I think that's somewhat a waste of his talents.

The only way I would trade up were if Trent Richardson were to be still there at #9. Other than that scenario, PLEASE keep the picks.

the closer we get to the draft, the more i believe TR is their trade up target and OLB is a huge smokescreen.

imagine this scenario,

1. Luck

2. RG3

3. Kalil

(easy, no real thinking required)

4. CLE takes Blackmon

5. TB takes Claiborne

6. STL takes Floyd (who probably fits their offense better than Blackmon)

Jacksonville at 7 desperately wants to trade down and Richardson still on the board.

The 7 pick is worth 1500 on the trade value chart

The 16 pick is worth 1000 and the 47 pick is worth 430.

Jets throw their 1st and 2nd round pick to the Jags for Richardson. Boom.

the closer we get to the draft, the more i believe TR is their trade up target and OLB is a huge smokescreen.

imagine this scenario,

1. Luck

2. RG3

3. Kalil

(easy, no real thinking required)

4. CLE takes Blackmon

5. TB takes Claiborne

6. STL takes Floyd (who probably fits their offense better than Blackmon)

Jacksonville at 7 desperately wants to trade down and Richardson still on the board.

The 7 pick is worth 1500 on the trade value chart

The 16 pick is worth 1000 and the 47 pick is worth 430.

Jets throw their 1st and 2nd round pick to the Jags for Richardson. Boom.

Your scenario is exactly how I expect it to go - up until the part about the Jets trading up for Richardson. I realize they like this splashy kind of move but I just don't see it. A team like the Bengals - with a dire need at RB and an extra first to throw around - might out bid the rest of the league, and I otherwise feel that the Jets can't spend another draft with a shortsighted outlook on building a football team. They just have too many needs to make this trade.

I hope they see it this way, too.

Archived