What will the Jets do with all these safeties?

BlackDynamite

Smith wont be starting unless Landry cant go.

They have a full offseason of OTA's and Preseason. They cant use the excuse that Smith would be the

only safety that knows the defense

Dom

So he had 6 INTs last year, but he's not a legit safety.

Thanks for sharing.....

BD

Curious as to why you're so in love with this particular 6th round pick.

I think he has a decent chance of making the team. Seeing the field on defense as a rookie? That's gonna be an uphill battle. Rex prefers CBs in his nickel and dime packages, and Bush will probably be battling for that roster spot against Posey and Steed. It's gonna come down to who impresses Westoff the most.

Dom

So he had 6 INTs last year, but he's not a legit safety.

Thanks for sharing.....

BD

Who is "he"? Josh Bush? He's a 6th round pick from Wake Forest. He played one year of safety in college. The team has been stockpiling these LB/S tweener types for years and haven't put any resources into "cover" free safety. That is unless you think a 6th round pick is some great resource or converting Dwight Lowery.who they promptly traded. I like the idea of Bush as a prospect and utilizing more of a cover safety in the rotation, but expecting this guy to contribute right away might be a bit much.

Curious as to why you're so in love with this particular 6th round pick.

I think he has a decent chance of making the team. Seeing the field on defense as a rookie? That's gonna be an uphill battle. Rex prefers CBs in his nickel and dime packages, and Bush will probably be battling for that roster spot against Posey and Steed. It's gonna come down to who impresses Westoff the most.

I think all the speed they drafted is going to help the specials a ton. Bush and Allen both should be good on specials and the LB Davis should really add something there.

This is one of those camp battles that is really going to be interesting to watch.

What a great position for these two 6th and 7th round picks to be in. Usually at that point in the draft they are throw away picks. Both of these guys have some talent, and personally I'm surprised either of them were still on the board where they were. one of these kids is in a position, if they have any talent, to be a starter at some point this season.

As much as a lot of posters love Smith, he makes the team. Pretty good #3. Horrible #1

Landry if he is 100% can be an impact player. I don't like his chances . Really have a hard time seeing him making it through the season.

That's why Bell is here. Not sure the FO sees him getting thru the season either. Bell, like Smith, is a decent player, but you really don't want him starting. If Bell and Smith are starting on opening day, the Jets have problems.

Think Jim Leonard is a last ditch signing. That's if he can play at all. Sorry to see that. I like Leonard

Enter the two kids. If these guys show any real talent in camp they could win a job.

I'm not so sure that we still don't have trash. Nobody giving Landry anything more than a 1 year deal and now all the recent sh*t are not good signs at all. Bell isn't terrible but he isn't very good either. It's kind bizarre that with a full offseason and draft, Smith may very well still be the best safety on the roster. And that's by no means a compliment towards him.

i totally get that, I was trashing Bell last season....Im more excited at the prospect of "HOPING" we have a surplus as opposed to dealing with only Smith & Leonhard...I hope for the best, LETS GO JETS

Remember when we HAD TO lock up Kerry Rhodes long term?

For some reason some of what I've been reading about Allen reminds me of Maddox, the safety drafted the round after Rhodes. Guy was supposed to be a special teams demon, but blew his knee out bad pretty early and never caught on.

Jets wouldn't do it that way. What do they need three safeties who can't cover on the field at the same time for?

The Jets "nickel" will have Kyle Wilson covering Welker in the slot.

If they want to run the ball against Big Mo, Pouha, Coples, Scott and Harris, good luck!

BD

Jets wouldn't do it that way. What do they need three safeties who can't cover on the field at the same time for?

The Jets "nickel" will have Kyle Wilson covering Welker in the slot.

If they want to run the ball against Big Mo, Pouha, Coples, Scott and Harris, good luck!

BD

I think there is actually a reason they may be considering it: A couple of times, when they loaded up to stop the pass, teams ran it down their throat. The end of the Christmas Eve Giants game and the Pats game where Green-Ellis went for a buck and a quarter or so come to mind. These guys may not be great cover safeties, but they will cover a lot more ground and be much better in coverage than the converted DEs playing OLB, Harris and Scott. The safety additions and fast LB should help in the nickel and dime, whatever amount of CBs, safeties and LBs they choose to use.

For the record, the Jets run defense didn't have any collapse late last year.

During December, allowed less than 100 yards in 2 games, allowed a normal amount of yards (100-115) in two games, and got embarrassed (160 yards) in Philly.

But the whole team played like %$#@ in Philly, and they were so far ahead, they only ran the ball in the second half.....

BD

Archived