Revis: I'm not a Distraction

flgreen

Revis: I'm not a distraction

June, 14, 2012

Jun 14

7:09

PM ET

By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Now that minicamp is over, the Jets won't be together again until July 26 in Cortland, N.Y., their training-camp site. Whether Darrelle Revis shows up remains a question.

Revis remained non-committal Thursday on whether he will report to camp or stage his second holdout in three years. He was sure about one thing: He doesn't think his contract situation is -- or will become -- a distraction for the team.

"I'm in this situation right now and it's best for me to do what's best for my career," he said. "I don't think these guys in here are saying I'm a distraction or anything like that. This is my situation and it has come up again, and I have to deal with it the best way I can."

Revis still has two years remaining on his contact, but he wants to sign a long-term deal. The Jets have given no indication that they're willing to renegotiate, which means it could get ugly if Revis decides to force the issue.

He's not worried about the potential public-relations fallout.

"My reputation is my reputation," he said. "Through these situations, a lot of things are going on. Fans don't know everything behind the scenes. The best thing for them is to collect truthful information, the right information, and go from there. If people judge me ... I've been criticized since I've been eight years old."

Did he hold out of Pop Warner?

I'd doubt that he is too. We're the only ones that look at these guys like fanboys and with emotion. The majority of professional athletes approach this sh*t like they're going to work every day. The business side is each player's own business. I'm sure there's a few guys with opinions on it but this type of stuff doesn't tend to polarize locker rooms.

"My reputation is my reputation," he said. "Through these situations, a lot of things are going on. Fans don't know everything behind the scenes. The best thing for them is to collect truthful information, the right information, and go from there. If people judge me ... I've been criticized since I've been eight years old."

Did he hold out of Pop Warner?

POTWN!

I'd doubt that he is too. We're the only ones that look at these guys like fanboys and with emotion. The majority of professional athletes approach this sh*t like they're going to work every day. The business side is each player's own business. I'm sure there's a few guys with opinions on it but this type of stuff doesn't tend to polarize locker rooms.

true. I could be off. but....Revis never really struck me as one of the guys though either.

You have to remember Revis is from an NFL family. He has a close family member who was also a pain in the a$$.

He grew up on this as much as he grew up on forcing WR's to the sideline. This ain't gonna change. Jets have to decide how they are going to deal with it.

Guy is good though

You have to remember Revis is from an NFL family. He has a close family member who was also a pain in the a$$.

He grew up on this as much as he grew up on forcing WR's to the sideline. This ain't gonna change. Jets have to decide how they are going to deal with it.

Guy is good though

Guy is good though

yeah but I thought it was all good when Rex got Sean Gilbert a job

Archived