Breer: Ryan, Jets Disproving Circus Perception....for now

Jetsfan80

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000061884/article/rex-ryan-new-york-jets-disproving-circus-perception-for-now?module=HP11_content_stream

Rex Ryan, New York Jets disproving circus perception -- for now

• By Albert Breer
  • Reporter, NFL.com and NFL Network
  • Published: Sept. 13, 2012 at 03:45 p.m.
  • Updated: Sept. 13, 2012 at 04:15 p.m

LaRon Landry knows a circus. He was part of a 2009 Washington Redskins team that was a couple elephants shy of Barnum & Bailey. And what he sees in New York in his infancy as a Jet isn't close.

"It's been a real circus there since '09, really all four years after my rookie year," Landry said of the Redskins organization. "It's totally different here, like night and day. (Washington and New York are) the only two organizations I've been with, so I can only compare the two. But that said, I don't see anything from the top of the organization on down that's even a reflection of here. I love it here. Sometimes, I can't get myself out of (the facility). I do everything here. When I was with the Redskins, it was, 'OK, I'm going to work out and I'm ready to go home.' "

At this point, it'd be pretty difficult to declare the Jets fixed. They've played one real game, and Landry has yet to see a bomb go off in Florham Park. At some point, all teams deal with those. The 2011 Jets, of course, didn't handle them very well, which is why it's best to wait for one to explode in Jersey before really assessing how far this group has come.

But if Landry's initial feelings are worth anything, paired with Gang Green's season-opening 48-28 drubbing of the Buffalo Bills, it's this: The Jets' summer wasn't nearly the carnival inside that it appeared to be from the outside. Again, Landry's seen disaster -- having been in D.C. as the Redskins quit on Jim Zorn, as Albert Haynesworth quit on football, and as Mike Shanahan and Donovan McNabb quit on each other -- so he has perspective.

That doesn't mean this team is headed back into the rarefied air it entered in Rex Ryan's first two seasons, which ended in conference championship games. It doesn't even necessarily mean the team is going back to the playoffs.

It does, on the other hand, explain why the Jets were peeved by the cover of the New York Post's NFL preview edition -- which featured a cartoon showing New York Giants players cruising along in a convertible, Lombardi Trophies in tow, while a Jets clown car plodded behind -- and why Ryan used it as fuel for his club prior to kickoff last weekend. His message to the team was simple: Prove to the football-viewing world you had better be taken seriously.

"Man, what if somebody called your act a circus?" third-year Jet Antonio Cromartie asked rhetorically. "Would you take it personally? Exactly. My point exactly: I think anybody would. I definitely take it personally. It's speaking about the character of the guys in this locker room, and speaking about the character of this organization. I think everybody here takes it personally. We're out to prove everybody wrong."

To be clear, the Jets made their bed on that. Last December's implosion was well-documented and real. Bravado finally caught up with Ryan's program, and the combustible personalities assembled made for a combustible locker room. If they wanted to kill the circus idea at that point, there probably would've been better moves to make than trading for Tim Tebow, the sport's most polarizing figure in 2011. But despite all the distractions Tebow invites, Jets coaches viewed his acquisition as a football transaction that simply made the team better. Ryan's confident his players understand this.

"He's been awesome," said guard Brandon Moore, a 2011 captain, of Tebow. "Of course, in the beginning, guys were like, 'This is weird -- why would we bring him?' And then once the roles were defined as to what was going on, it's fine. I mean, I think the Wildcat and the roles he's going to be used in can be very helpful. I look at it as bringing in another running back that can bring something different, like if you bring in a running back that's a Reggie Bush-type. The element he brings to our offense, I look at him like that."

Just framing it that way -- Tebow's a running back!!! -- could cause a stir, but Moore's larger point is that the Jets are more equipped than ever to absorb whatever storyline comes at them. Moore has been in New York for more than a decade, so he gets it. He said that because the Jets have operated in this bubble through HBO's "Hard Knocks" in 2010 and "other incidents, good and bad," his team is "used to it." And there's a better understanding of how these things happen.

"I understand what the Post is all about. I mean, I read the Post," Moore said, smiling. "They're all about headlines and shock value and they don't understand what goes on in this facility. To make a mockery of what we do every day is somewhat offensive, but in the grand scheme of things, I couldn't care less about what the media thinks about us as an organization."

We'll have a better idea of how much all this means in a month. Between now and Oct. 8, the Jets play the Pittsburgh Steelers, San Francisco 49ers and Houston Texans. They get the archrival New England Patriots Oct. 21, but then the schedule lightens up (at least on paper) considerably from there.

Time will tell how this group deals with potholes along the way. But at least to this point, how the Jets have been perceived might not quite match the reality. You can take that from a guy who knows a burgeoning disaster when he sees it.

"It's way off, definitely," Landry said. "Everybody's working together. Everybody wants to win. I don't know why they say it's a circus. We have fun, and we try to be victorious. We work together as a unit. I wasn't here when the team was divided; I haven't got that yet."

Follow Albert Breer on Twitter @AlbertBreer.

"I understand what the Post is all about. I mean, I read the Post," Moore said, smiling. "They're all about headlines and shock value and they don't understand what goes on in this facility. To make a mockery of what we do every day is somewhat offensive, but in the grand scheme of things, I couldn't care less about what the media thinks about us as an organization."

Bart might wanna take some notes here...

so what did the jets do that was circus like ?

trade for tebow to sell tickets

training camp fight

couple stupid holmes quotes

what am I missing ?

Its really a strange situation. Rex Ryan was widely recognized as a coach that players loved and would run through a walls for. Reed, Lewis, Ngata - all these HOF defensive players think the world of him. Has immediate success with the Jets, hasnt exactly seen failure (8-8) and because of one incident and a trade for a controversial player - he's all of a sudden a ring master?

I get the whole bluster thingy and the perception but dude has never had a losing season and vowed all offseason that his #1 goal was to be more involved because he felt he lost the pulse of the team. Here's a guy who a year ago everyone thought players were lining up to play for and he's basically saying his mission is to not make the Jets into a circus. But its getting spun into one because they traded for Tebow which is a circus created by the media alone.

The whole offseason. Sanchez is the QB. I'm going to be more involved. I lost control of the team. Holding back on the bluster. Learning from his mistakes. No Captains. Back to Cortland. Disciplinary type OC. Basically everything to prevent him losing the team again but its completely ignored for some reason.

Really strange.

Its really a strange situation. Rex Ryan was widely recognized as a coach that players loved and would run through a walls for. Reed, Lewis, Ngata - all these HOF defensive players think the world of him. Has immediate success with the Jets, hasnt exactly seen failure (8-8) and because of one incident and a trade for a controversial player - he's all of a sudden a ring master?

I get the whole bluster thingy and the perception but dude has never had a losing season and vowed all offseason that his #1 goal was to be more involved because he felt he lost the pulse of the team. Here's a guy who a year ago everyone thought players were lining up to play for and he's basically saying his mission is to not make the Jets into a circus. But its getting spun into one because they traded for Tebow which is a circus created by the media alone.

The whole offseason. Sanchez is the QB. I'm going to be more involved. I lost control of the team. Holding back on the bluster. Learning from his mistakes. No Captains. Back to Cortland. Disciplinary type OC. Basically everything to prevent him losing the team again but its completely ignored for some reason.

Really strange.

tl;dr;zzzzZZZZZzzzzzzzz

I dont like when players bad mouth their former team, esp when all reports said he wanted to stay for a discount...kinda not cool.

Landry, >points to my eyes and then to you<.

But he's still my favorite addition to this team!

Lol @ Cro talking about character. 8)

Really strange.

thanks, I thought I was forgetting some kind of controversy. The media just has a story they want to tell, facts be damned. it's working for us tho, the team we saw sunday was really pissed off. I hope cimini tells them they can't beat the steelers

now all we need is for RG III to start "griffining" and were all set, lol

thanks, I thought I was forgetting some kind of controversy. The media just has a story they want to tell, facts be damned. it's working for us tho, the team we saw sunday was really pissed off. I hope cimini tells them they can't beat the steelers

now all we need is for RG III to start "griffining" and were all set, lol

Tebow is not going away, especially not in NYC.

RG is like Vick only way better, but like Woody said, you can newer have too much Tebow. And, I agree.

RG is like Vick only way better, but like Woody said, you can newer have too much Tebow. And, I agree.

if he keeps gettting 20 - 40 yards of offense per game, it will be RG III mania all day. sure he'll get 4th down conversions, 2 pt conversions, some rushing TD's, but this is the old erhardt/perkins offense, which you should know very well.

the h-back isn't the star

if he keeps gettting 20 - 40 yards of offense per game, it will be RG III mania all day. sure he'll get 4th down conversions, 2 pt conversions, some rushing TD's, but this is the old erhardt/perkins offense, which you should know very well.

the h-back isn't the star

Im not convinced that Sanchez is for real yet. Lets see how 5 or 6 games play out before we bury Tebow.

Im not convinced that Sanchez is for real yet. Lets see how 5 or 6 games play out before we bury Tebow.

It doesn't matter if Sanchez is "for real" or not. He and Greg McElroy are the only QBs on the roster.

Funny how you say the above about RG3 after one game against a depleted defense. Tebow deserves more time but RG3 is already better than an established veteran? That type of comment was meant for overreaction Monday.

It doesn't matter if Sanchez is "for real" or not. He and Greg McElroy are the only QBs on the roster.

Funny how you say the above about RG3 after one game against a depleted defense. Tebow deserves more time but RG3 is already better than an established veteran? That type of comment was meant for overreaction Monday.

It's not all that much of a leap though, Vick sucks as a QB too. The guy is still living off of the hype of half a season of play two years ago that apparently outweighs his crappy passing that has filled the remainder of his career. The dude threw 4 picks, and what should have been a 5th that would have cost them the game, against the freakin' Browns.

It's not all that much of a leap though, Vick sucks as a QB too. The guy is still living off of the hype of half a season of play two years ago that apparently outweighs his crappy passing that has filled the remainder of his career. The dude threw 4 picks, and what should have been a 5th that would have cost them the game, against the freakin' Browns.

I agree that he's overrated but I'm not going to put RG3 on a pedestal yet for tearing up a Saints D that was bad even WITH guys like Vilma and Fujita.

I think Jeff Fisher is going to throw a lot of looks at RG3 to confuse him this week when they play @ STL, and their corners (Finnegan & Janoris Jenkins) are pretty studly. Might see a coming-back-to-earth type of performance for the talented young QB.

I guess you missed RGs college career.

RG is going to be a very good NFL QB and better than Vick because he can pass the ball.

Really strange.

Why is it strange? The whole clown car concept is exactly why Rex didn't get a head job sooner. Widely recognized as one of the top defensive minds in the game and he never got a sniff at a head job. Didn't even get Baltimore when he was there and waiting for years. They think he is too outspoken and emotional to handle the head job. These guys want reliable, calm computers for coaches. Like Mangini. The "Establishment" has been waiting for him to fail and looks at the 8-8 and any controversy as proof they were right. I love it because while I love football and the pro game I hate the organized NFL. Always have. I grew up in an AFL family and we are happy to stick it to the No Fun League. I loved watching Rozelle hand that trophy to Al Davis.

I guess you missed RGs college career.

RG is going to be a very good NFL QB and better than Vick because he can pass the ball.

I'm not denying this. But its too small of sample size to guarantee anything. Claiming he's ALREADY BETTER than Vick based on the results of Week 1 is premature.

And this is coming from a guy who started RG3 on my fantasy team last week, by the way (if that means anything).

I agree that he's overrated but I'm not going to put RG3 on a pedestal yet for tearing up a Saints D that was bad even WITH guys like Vilma and Fujita.

I think Jeff Fisher is going to throw a lot of looks at RG3 to confuse him this week when they play @ STL, and their corners (Finnegan & Janoris Jenkins) are pretty studly. Might see a coming-back-to-earth type of performance for the talented young QB.

Oh yeah, I totally hear you there and don't disagree, I just wanted to take the opportunity to point out that Vick sucks.

Why is it strange? The whole clown car concept is exactly why Rex didn't get a head job sooner. Widely recognized as one of the top defensive minds in the game and he never got a sniff at a head job. Didn't even get Baltimore when he was there and waiting for years. They think he is too outspoken and emotional to handle the head job. These guys want reliable, calm computers for coaches. Like Mangini. The "Establishment" has been waiting for him to fail and looks at the 8-8 and any controversy as proof they were right. I love it because while I love football and the pro game I hate the organized NFL. Always have. I grew up in an AFL family and we are happy to stick it to the No Fun League. I loved watching Rozelle hand that trophy to Al Davis.

Did you read my post? I recognized that Rex's bluster is one of the reason's this has been created.

My point was, he's treating an 8-8 like a failure and publicly admitting he lost the team. Basically, hes changing his ways but its still a circus even though everything he's done since last season is to ensure the team doesnt become one. The media is ignoring the facts that he's changed and keeping with the same agenda of this silly circus that is the NY Jets all because of Tebow. That why its strange.

Did you read my post? I recognized that Rex's bluster is one of the reason's this has been created.

My point was, he's treating an 8-8 like a failure and publicly admitting he lost the team. Basically, hes changing his ways but its still a circus even though everything he's done since last season is to ensure the team doesnt become one. The media is ignoring the facts that he's changed and keeping with the same agenda of this silly circus that is the NY Jets all because of Tebow. That why its strange.

Did I read your post? You recognized? You said it was "strange". You said it was "all of a sudden". It's not. It's what they have been saying about the guy since he was in Baltimore. More than that, it is what the stigma that they attached to his father and passed down to Rex and his brother. Why is it strange that a group of people that have waited for the guy to fail continue to write that he is going to fail, called the a joke and jump at every little negative item? The media ignoring facts and promoting their own agenda is not strange. It is exactly what has been happening since forever.

Did I read your post? You recognized? You said it was "strange". You said it was "all of a sudden". It's not. It's what they have been saying about the guy since he was in Baltimore. More than that, it is what the stigma that they attached to his father and passed down to Rex and his brother. Why is it strange that a group of people that have waited for the guy to fail continue to write that he is going to fail, called the a joke and jump at every little negative item? The media ignoring facts and promoting their own agenda is not strange. It is exactly what has been happening since forever.

It is all of a sudden. His mouth might have kept him from jobs but it didnt keep him for this one. And every player thats ever played for him loves him to death and he saw immediate success with the Jets. He went from everyones favorite HC, SB contenders, to a ring master because of one 8-8 season.

I find it strange, you dont. leave me alone.

It is all of a sudden. His mouth might have kept him from jobs but it didnt keep him for this one. And every player thats ever played for him loves him to death and he saw immediate success with the Jets. He went from everyones favorite HC, SB contenders, to a ring master because of one 8-8 season.

I find it strange, you dont. leave me alone.

You really think that he was ever the favorite HC of the press? That the press thought they were SB contenders? The press treated the whole super bowl contender thing as a joke all of 2010 and 2011. Leave you alone? Maybe Shane is right.

You really think that he was ever the favorite HC of the press? That the press thought they were SB contenders? The press treated the whole super bowl contender thing as a joke all of 2010 and 2011. Leave you alone? Maybe Shane is right.

Yes. Yes. The media was picking them as SB contenders. Yes. Never.

I'm not denying this. But its too small of sample size to guarantee anything. Claiming he's ALREADY BETTER than Vick based on the results of Week 1 is premature.

And this is coming from a guy who started RG3 on my fantasy team last week, by the way (if that means anything).

All I said was the RG is like Vick only way better. Which is true. RG is a much better passer than Vick coming out of college.

All the tools are there with RG: accuracy and arm strength.

Let's fight about Griffin vs. Vick instead!

Done. Vick sucks and Griffin is hyped like I've never seen. Poor guy will never be able to live up to his expectations IMO.

You know who is benefiting the most from this? Andrew Luck. I've never seen a #1 pick go under the radar more.

Archived