SAN-BLOW-ME-OH, SANCHEZ, & REX

Jet27

Wade does nothing but build GREAT defenses. Not sure how anyone can't respect that.

He didn't in Dallas as HC. He received a gift from Parcells in the form of DeMarcus Ware and did nothing with it.

Further proof that Rex is better; he's been asked to coach both sides of the ball and still produces a great D every year.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He didn't in Dallas as HC. Further proof that Rex is better; he's been asked to coach both sides of the ball and still produces a great D every year.

Yeah he did. He built a great defense in Dallas for sure, then when he got promoted to HC it was too big a job for him. Just like coaching the whole team has been too big a job for Rex.

Why is Phillps higher on the list? He's done it in multiple stops along his career.

Rex never built a defense. He inherited Baltimore's which has been great regardless of the coordinators down there, and he inherited Mangini's and got it to play better... with each year Rex puts "his guys" into "his system" here with the Jets, they get worse.

Rex never built a defense. He inherited Baltimore's which has been great regardless of the coordinators down there, and he inherited Mangini's and got it to play better...

Rex was part of the reason why they built up that great D in Baltimore. He won a Super Bowl as D-line coach and worked his way up the ladder. It's not like he was some outsider.

with each year Rex puts "his guys" into "his system" here with the Jets, they get worse.

What are you talking about? Rex transformed Sione Pouha's career. Muhammad Wilkerson looks like he'll be awesome. Until Bart and Leonhard got too old he got a lot out of them. Maybin shouldn't have even been in the NFL and he came here and got 6 sacks. Cromartie, other than some occassional lapses, has been superb. Can you seriously point to a single player Rex has coached and suggest they've regressed?

Wade does nothing but build GREAT defenses. Not sure how anyone can't respect that.

I couldn't put Williams in front of Rex, though he probably belongs there and I could probably make the case that Rob might belong there too, it felt wrong.

Dude, stop smoking crack. Greg Williams and Rob Ryan? Please.

Rob had a couple of good years in Oakland but his Dallas defense has underachieved so far. Go back and tell me how many teams with Greg Williams defenses made the playoffs. The answer - very few and those had Drew Brees at QB.

Based on what Rex did in Baltimore and his first three years with the Jets he's no lower than third and he is in the top tier.

FWIW, Football Outsiders predicts the Jets will rank no lower than third in total defense by the end of the year.

Rex was part of the reason why they built up that great D in Baltimore. He won a Super Bowl as D-line coach and worked his way up the ladder. It's not like he was some outsider.

Marvin Lewis. Mike Nolan. Rex. All of them benefited from superior scouting, drafting and talent. That defense was going to be awesome with or without Rex. I appreciate Rex for what he is, but he's hardly the catalyst of the defense that has made Baltimore relevant for a decade.

Belly??? You mean for the way he dominated Arizona yesterday and shut down that world beater Kevin Kolb?

Pats lost to Arizona's defense. Belli's D stepped up and got the ball back for the win though, and Gostkoswki blew it.

Also, the list is composed based on history - not on yesterday. Your rebuttal is moronic.

What are you talking about? Rex transformed Sione Pouha's career. Muhammad Wilkerson looks like he'll be awesome. Until Bart and Leonhard got too old he got a lot out of them. Maybin shouldn't have even been in the NFL and he came here and got 6 sacks. Cromartie, other than some occassional lapses, has been superb. Can you seriously point to a single player Rex has coached and suggest they've regressed?

That's great. Sounds like Rex is a really good position coach then. What does individual achievements have to do with my comments about the overall defense? Nothing.

From what I've seen, Rex's OVERALL defense has gotten a little worse each year.

Dude, stop smoking crack. Greg Williams and Rob Ryan? Please.

Rob had a couple of good years in Oakland but his Dallas defense has underachieved so far. Go back and tell me how many teams with Greg Williams defenses made the playoffs. The answer - very few and those had Drew Brees at QB.

Based on what Rex did in Baltimore and his first three years with the Jets he's no lower than third and he is in the top tier.

FWIW, Football Outsiders predicts the Jets will rank no lower than third in total defense by the end of the year.

This is pretty accurate, but conflicts with my trolling agenda therefore I shall ignore.

San-blow-me-oh is the lamest insult-nickname I've ever heard. Honestly. Every time I read it, the rest of the whining being done about the guy doesn't even register.

I do agree with much of your post though. Holmes was dropping passes like crazy. More importantly I want to know who came up with the game plan for Sanchez to only throw to Holmes and let him try to burn his old team. Last week the ball was spread out to multiple receivers, attacking weak parts of the Bills defense. This week it looked like Schotty ball, drop back, don't go through progressions and just throw to Holmes over and over and let him either drop passes that his his hands, or break off routes early and cause incompletions.

Then comes his disgusting body language. Ugh.

Hill must have been out there as a decoy, I suspect. He was hurt all week and I'm not sure if he got any targets at all. Which sucks. You've got to give a big WR like that the chance to make a play, a jump ball or something.

Hill dropped a early pass that should have een 7 or close to it. Watching some of ESPN and the NFL channel the popular opinion was that Pitt took him out of his initial routes and he was clueless on how to handle.

Growing pains.

That's great. Sounds like Rex is a really good position coach then. What does individual achievements have to do with my comments about the overall defense? Nothing.

Agree 100%

Hill dropped a early pass that should have een 7 or close to it. Watching some of ESPN and the NFL channel the popular opinion was that Pitt took him out of his initial routes and he was clueless on how to handle.

Growing pains.

I guess Sanjay promised Tanny to have Hill ready for week 1, but nobody thought to ask about week 2.

****ing bean counter.

While true, (depending on what #'s you're looking at of course. There's an argument to be made for 2011 being better than 2010), 2 things have to be kept in perspective. First, the D was so insanely good for his first year that the bar was set way too high. Defenses are the most consistent thing in football year to year, but no D ever puts up numbers that consistently good. Second, the offense has certainly played its part. Turnovers and 3-and-outs never make it easier on a D and last year both were at their worst. Not to be constantly-harping-on-acronyms-guy, but that's one of the reasons FO's a good measure on overall D; this is the type of stuff they adjust for.

Oh no, it's not that I have faith in Rob Ryan, it's just that I have faith that there is a God and he cares about making you look like a jinx on the Internet.

Except for the Chandler thing and the Leinart thing and the David Carr thing and the Cam Newton thing and the Robert Gallery thing and the Keith Van Horn thing, I've been pretty money on the Internet.

Archived