Flacco signed for 6yrs-120 point 6 million

PFSIKH

either is better than a bunch of draft picks. The Jets aren't choosing between Revis and Flacco cause Flacco never made the FA market. Franchise Qb's never do. 

drew brees did but that was because san diego was stupid and went with Rivers

drew brees did but that was because san diego was stupid and went with Rivers

And he had that little shoulder issue as well.

Calvin Johnson just got a contract that will average a hair under 19 million a season.  Megatron is a beast and one of the top receivers.  He touched the ball less than 20% of the time last year.

You pay for QBs.  As many of JN lamented 'what if' last season when Sanchez played like crap, what if you had Flacco production?  I doubt you are 6-10.

The Ravens did the right thing by signing him.  What are the alternatives?  Let him walk and get in a bidding war to keep him?  There are teams who need a QB that have a lot of cap room like Tampa.  Cleveland.  TO a lesser extent Miami.  Start the Turod Taylor era?  :rl: 

The Ravens are about to enter the Patriots' zone of the last 7 seasons.  A team with a blossoming QB and some decent supporting offensive talent coupled with a D that is past its prime.  They need a QB that can carry a team.

i was drunk and angry over Siena's loss last night....i take back my ribs comment but stand by everything else

a million per game is INSANE and the fact that drunken violent fans get into fights at every football game makes me not close to interested in investing my time and money into going to NFL games...i'd rather watch on TV at home where it's safe and best of all FREE (outside of paying for cable who pays the NFL)  :)

i also like knowing i am not putting money into Johnson Woody's pocket for him to allow people to give Sanchez dumb extensions

edit:  and does baby crusher still eat the plates after he eats his meals?

Fair enough.

Baby Crusher is on a diet so we switched to paper plates.

I find it funny people laugh at Flaccos contract since the guy has been lights out in the playoffs and in his SB appearance. He has as many SB wins as Peyton Manning and Drew Brees and with the presence of a running game and a well balanced offense he does not have to throw the ball all over the yard and put up huge numbers during the season to win games but he is capable of putting up the numbers when needed.  

He plays on a well built football team who still has its GM who made the moves he needed to make for his QB to succeed . Go ahead and tell me the Jets did the same and Ill call you an Idiot.

I find it funny people laugh at Flaccos contract since the guy has been lights out in the playoffs and in his SB appearance. He has as many SB wins as Peyton Manning and Drew Brees and with the presence of a running game and a well balanced offense he does not have to throw the ball all over the yard and put up huge numbers during the season.  

He plays on a well built football team who still has its GM who made the moves he needed to make for his QB to succeed . Go ahead and tell me the Jets did the same and Ill call you an Idiot.

dude has as many superbowl wins as brad johnson too.

he is lucky to have even won the first playoff game this year since the broncos D crapped the bed

jets are much smarter than the ravens. pay 20m per for a qb who threw 9 tds and 0 interceptions on route to being the super bowl mvp. the jets pay sanchez half of that and nobody in the league can butt fumble like he can. idiots

dude has as many superbowl wins as brad johnson too.

he is lucky to have even won the first playoff game this year since the broncos D crapped the bed

The Ravens would have lost to the Broncos because the Broncos were better and the Ravens defense and special teams weren't all that impressive.   Flacco had a good game.   If the 49ers win the super bowl because Kapernick throws a TD in the end,  it wasn't Flacco's fault they would have lost.   Sometimes players need to make plays.   Sometimes you do get lucky and win.   Most teams these days who win have some sort of luck.    

I mean if Tom Brady doesn't get the "tuck rule"  he might have never even started the next season.  He'd have no super bowl wins. And BB probably isn't consider a genius coach.   And heck, even with the tuck rule and cheating,   if the Patriots had a bad kicker,  they don't win any super bowl and probably dont even make any.  Adam V was the MVP those years.  

A few seasons back if Manning doesn't sit, the Jets probably lose and they don't even make the playoffs.  And who knows what they would do the next season. Rex Ryan might've already been fired.    Years ago if the Jets had a kicker who made a FG or had an Adam V,  they beat Pittsburgh and play the Patriots in the AFC Championship game.  And who knows.  They always played the Patriots close.  And Herm Edwards suddenly isn't though to be as big an idiot as everybody things.  

Sometimes things happen and players make plays.  Sometimes things happen and players choke.

Flacco had one of the best postseason QB performances of all time this year.   what, 11 TDs and 0 INTs   

And over the past 3 seasons, he's had 18 TDs and 2 INts.     As I said before, that's an MVP QB.   And he was doing it when it mattered most.  As they say these days, just get into the playoffs.   If you get into the playoffs with a guy who has

18 TDs and 2 INTs over 3 post seasons,  who wouldn't take that?

a million per game is INSANE

It's a lot of money but I've been hearing the same argument since Tug McGraw got $90,000 a year from the Mets after his first big year.

Because, after all, he was just a relief pitcher.

Sports get bigger and bigger, ditto for the leagues, the networks and the owners, and yet when the players go for their cut, everybody takes the owners' side.

Of course, I'm old enough to remember before free agency, when the owners got together and forbid any player they had from going to another team unless they cut them.  Otherwise they had to be traded.  As a result, every contract, even for superstars, was for one year only-no security for the player at all.  The players who dared challenge the system met hositility from the fans.  The idea was that by just walking away, the player was cheating the club out of all the time they spent "developing" him.

Sounds bizarre now, but this was actually considered normal thinking for decades.

That's why I don't get upset when I see a player cash in on a big year.  I saw the way the owners acted when they had the upper hand, I can't see taking their side now.

The Ravens would have lost to the Broncos because the Broncos were better and the Ravens defense and special teams weren't all that impressive.   Flacco had a good game.   If the 49ers win the super bowl because Kapernick throws a TD in the end,  it wasn't Flacco's fault they would have lost.   Sometimes players need to make plays.   Sometimes you do get lucky and win.   Most teams these days who win have some sort of luck.    

I mean if Tom Brady doesn't get the "tuck rule"  he might have never even started the next season.  He'd have no super bowl wins. And BB probably isn't consider a genius coach.   And heck, even with the tuck rule and cheating,   if the Patriots had a bad kicker,  they don't win any super bowl and probably dont even make any.  Adam V was the MVP those years.  

A few seasons back if Manning doesn't sit, the Jets probably lose and they don't even make the playoffs.  And who knows what they would do the next season. Rex Ryan might've already been fired.    Years ago if the Jets had a kicker who made a FG or had an Adam V,  they beat Pittsburgh and play the Patriots in the AFC Championship game.  And who knows.  They always played the Patriots close.  And Herm Edwards suddenly isn't though to be as big an idiot as everybody things.  

Sometimes things happen and players make plays.  Sometimes things happen and players choke.

Flacco had one of the best postseason QB performances of all time this year.   what, 11 TDs and 0 INTs   

And over the past 3 seasons, he's had 18 TDs and 2 INts.     As I said before, that's an MVP QB.   And he was doing it when it mattered most.  As they say these days, just get into the playoffs.   If you get into the playoffs with a guy who has

Very good post here.  POTW

Great post.

Giants and Packers were close to not even making the playoffs.  Giants benefited from fumbles last year against the 49ers.  Who knows what the Bears might have done if Cutler was not being Cutler against the Packers.

The Saints had Brett Farve and his pick.

Outside of maybe the Ravens in 2000 or Buccaneers in 2002, most teams have a fortunate break.  A player making or not making a play.

BTW Brady would have been the starter in 2002.  :)

My first reaction has kind of cooled off now. Look at Tom Brady's extension, that sh** is paying him $30 mil March 12 instead of 15 and 15 for the next two seasons along with guaranteeing the years in which he can break down at any point. I hope this makes Welker or Talib unaffordable some sort.

Also not that bad he received $50 mil in guarantees.

The Baltimore Ravens have essentially agreed to a seven-year, $127.3 million contract with Joe Flacco. The Ravens had offered Flacco a new deal in August 2012 that would have replaced his rookie contract and the 2012 season, which he played at $6.76 million. The annual average would have been $16 million per season.

Even if the Ravens had been offering $18 million per year last August, they would have had Flacco under contract through 2016.  He’s now under contract through 2018, at roughly the same average.

My first reaction has kind of cooled off now. Look at Tom Brady's extension, that sh** is paying him $30 mil March 12 instead of 15 and 15 for the next two seasons along with guaranteeing the years in which he can break down at any point. I hope this makes Welker or Talib unaffordable some sort.

The Baltimore Ravens have essentially agreed to a seven-year, $127.3 million contract with Joe Flacco. The Ravens had offered Flacco a new deal in August 2012 that would have replaced his rookie contract and the 2012 season, which he played at $6.76 million. The annual average would have been $16 million per season.

Even if the Ravens had been offering $18 million per year last August, they would have had Flacco under contract through 2016.  He’s now under contract through 2018, at roughly the same average.

As Kraft said and has been in the press it is a win-win contract.

Brady wins because one he protects his legacy, FWIW, from being a one team great player.  Two, he is uncuttable for the next 4 years.  With 57 million guaranteed, he is pro-rated at 11+ million a year.  As long as the cap remains flat, he could not be cut with out totally f'ing the team.  Seeing, he is 35 going on 36, that is good money for a late in the career guy.

The team wins for the same reason, he stays with the team and now they have a reasonable no-$hit answer on when he is walking away.  Two, the money is guaranteed for injury only.  If Brady's talent drops off the proverbial cliff, it is  not guaranteed.  

Brady is well taken care of in his new contract.   But it's cap friendly so the Pats can go out and make some moves the next couple of seasons.  And really for players like Brady and Manning,  their teams are looking at the next couple of seasons.  Beyond that,  nobody knows and nobody cares.

If Revis were not so greedy, he'd take some kind of deal that paid him a ton of money, made him the highest paid CB, but was cap friendly.  The Problem with Revis is he doesn't seem to give a crap about anybody but himself.   This is why Revis is who he is and these other guys are who they are.   Revis doesn't make anybody else on his team better.   He's not a real leader.  He's just the best CB in the NFL when healthy and nothing more.   He would help a team win a super bowl, but they'd need other parts.  

Revis is not Ray Lewis.   Ray Lewis was at the end of the line and he still was the leader of the Ravens.   He came back and that team was inspired.     When you pay people to be one of the highest paid in the NFL, they better be some kind of leader.  The Ravens now hope Flacco is that new leader.   He isn't Ray Lewis.  But his postseason stats say he is Montana in the playoffs.     

What is Revis?   At this point, he's a great CB who would rather be paid top dollar than win.

Brady wins because one he protects his legacy, FWIW, from being a one team great player.  Two, he is uncuttable for the next 4 years.  With 57 million guaranteed, he is pro-rated at 11+ million a year.  As long as the cap remains flat, he could not be cut with out totally f'ing the team.  Seeing, he is 35 going on 36, that is good money for a late in the career guy.

The team wins for the same reason, he stays with the team and now they have a reasonable no-$hit answer on when he is walking away.  Two, the money is guaranteed for injury only.  If Brady's talent drops off the proverbial cliff, it is  not guaranteed.  

Your right, and there is one killer in his contract.

If the 35 YO QB gets seriously injured, the Pats are shafted.  Besides the blown knee, Brady has had an injury free career.  He has never been 35 before.  Stuff happens when a QB is in his late 30’s 

If the 35 YO QB gets seriously injured, the Pats are shafted.  Besides the blown knee, Brady has had an injury free career.  He has never been 35 before.  Stuff happens when a QB is in his late 30’s 

You know right.

The money is nothing as they can have insurance to protect them.  I imagine they had to have some player friendly stipulations to make Brady sign off on it though.

Anybody can get hurt.  I mean Revis can sign a long term deal with the Jets, get traded and sign some long term deal with some other team, and come back and suck because he isn't the same player after that injury.   It's not out of the realm of possibilities.   The Patriots hope Brady is around for another 5 seasons.  The Broncos hope Manning is around another 5 seasons.    Doesn't everybody hope their star HOF qb sticks around?  Unless your the Packers and have Aaron Rodgers in waiting, you do.       Anybody can get injured.   Bo Jackson had a freak injury and never played football again.  TD was out after a few seasons.    Favre got hurt with the Jets, then took the Vikings to the NFC Championship game the next season.

I’m not disagreeing with either you or  PFSIKH.

I agree that players can, and do, get hurt all the time, at all ages.  It’s just that at 35 your odds of getting a career ender is much higher then at 25.

Pats are taking a real gamble here by guaranteeing his contract.  It’s not the actual money they lose.  It’s the cap hit they take if he goes down for good game two next year.  

How do you tell if his talent fell off a cliff or he got hurt?  Those guys all get hurt.  Brett Favre's talent didn't fall off a cliff.  He got hurt.  Interesting to see if one or the other presses the issue, but I think it's more like this:

http://www.theonion.com/articles/derek-jeter-rejects-move-to-outfield-by-reminding,19407/

Archived