What about Matt Hasselbeck at $2 or 3 MM?

NJ

Dude's gonna be 38 in September. :/

I prefer the Matt Moore route; a guy who could start during the 2013 retool/rebuild, and then maybe stick as a backup if the Jets ever find that elusive franchise QB.

I prefer the Matt Moore route; a guy who could start during the 2013 retool/rebuild, and then maybe stick as a backup if the Jets ever find that elusive franchise QB.

I've been on the Matt Moore tip for a minute now.  Truly think the Jets would have made the playoffs the last 2 seasons with him at QB.  I really want to see this kid come unseat Sanchez.  He's in his prime for a QB.  He's looked solid in the opportunities he's had.  I'd really like to see him start an entire season for the Jets and see what he can do for 16 games an then look for your franchise QB next season which is going to be offering a plethora of FA's and potential draft picks. 

I've been on the Matt Moore tip for a minute now.  Truly think the Jets would have made the playoffs the last 2 seasons with him at QB.  I really want to see this kid come unseat Sanchez.  He's in his prime for a QB.  He's looked solid in the opportunities he's had.  I'd really like to see him start an entire season for the Jets and see what he can do for 16 games an then look for your franchise QB next season which is going to be offering a plethora of FA's and potential draft picks. 

He resigned with Miami. So much for that.

Very weird that he would chose to go backup a QB he's better than rather than start with at least 5 teams who could use him. 

This is weird.    I liked Moore, but honestly thought he was going to be to expensive for the Jets.  Your right, I also thought there was going to be 2 or 3 teams that he could honestly compete for a starting job on.

Have to assume he's been told he is going to have a fair chance to compete with Tannerhill, and thinks he can win the job.  If he believes that he has a chance against a 2nd year first round pick, he's a sucker.

I'm going to have to go look what they gave him

I actually talked about Hasselbeck as an option with a friend of mine the other night, in real life not here, LOL.

I think him or Garrard makes some sense. We come into this season with a veteran, Sanchez and whatever rookie we pick this year. Somewhere between trading Revis and/or the #9 pick, we get the ammo needed to move up for Clowney next year. While this year we focus our early picks on offensive weapons.

This is weird.    I liked Moore, but honestly thought he was going to be to expensive for the Jets.  Your right, I also thought there was going to be 2 or 3 teams that he could honestly compete for a starting job on.

Have to assume he's been told he is going to have a fair chance to compete with Tannerhill, and thinks he can win the job.  If he believes that he has a chance against a 2nd year first round pick, he's a sucker.

I'm going to have to go look what they gave him

For Moore I think his decision was this:

- stay where I'm appreciated, and acclimated, with a coach I like and a locker room I like, in a state I like

OR

- go to NY and be one of the 5 QBs they said they were bringing into camp this year, play under a lame-duck coach, for an organization I probably have no respect for since I've been a Dolphin the past few years

It comes down to this... he's not that good a QB, and he opted for a backup role over a chance to start. I don't want a gutless bastard like that as my QB. He's this decade's Billy Volek, but showed less potential than Volek did.

Not too shabby a call by Moore. I'd rather live in Miami for the next four years making $3 mil per than come to NY, watch my chance to start for a year get sabotaged by sh*tty offensive personnel and a lame-duck coaching staff, then spend the summer of 2014 getting yanked for a rookie.

For Moore I think his decision was this:

- stay where I'm appreciated, and acclimated, with a coach I like and a locker room I like, in a state I like

OR

- go to NY and be one of the 5 QBs they said they were bringing into camp this year, play under a lame-duck coach, for an organization I probably have no respect for since I've been a Dolphin the past few years

It comes down to this... he's not that good a QB, and he opted for a backup role over a chance to start. I don't want a gutless bastard like that as my QB. He's this decade's Billy Volek, but showed less potential than Volek did.

The fish may've gone after him aggressively to keep him from going to NY (we'll see when contract details are released), but I think Moore would've had a few options where he'd have a legitimate chance to start. The fact that he'd sign on as a backup before even exploring those options says a lot about him, IMHO, and I think teams looking at him as a potential starter are probably better off without him.

The fish may've gone after him aggressively to keep him from going to NY (we'll see when contract details are released), but I think Moore would've had a few options where he'd have a legitimate chance to start. The fact that he'd sign on as a backup before even exploring those options says a lot about him, IMHO, and I think teams looking at him as a potential starter are probably better off without him.

Agreed completely.

Anyone think the Jets are a tough sell because of the way Rex treated Tebow last year? Say what you will, but Tebow was a 50 megawatt superstar 365 days ago, and now we keep seeing the letters "CFL" invoked next to his name. Sanchez couldn't have been worse last season, yet Rex still protected him like a newborn fawn. What QB with options wants to sign up to be the next guy Rex delusionally buries on the pine?

I'd take Moore or Henne as well - but that's not happening. Although Hasselback's best is behind him, he's still mucho better than and shouldn't be compared to a 2010/11 Mark Brunell. The guy can still move the chains and put points on the board as evidenced last season. Gotta think he's got a couple of those years left in him.

I'd take Moore or Henne as well - but that's not happening. Although Hasselback's best is behind him, he's still mucho better than and shouldn't be compared to a 2010/11 Mark Brunell. The guy can still move the chains and put points on the board as evidenced last season. Gotta think he's got a couple of those years left in him.

I've always liked Hasselback. He's a good locker room guy and a good leader. The Jets could do a lot worse. He's going to be great as an analyst, too. I don't think he helps much in the win column at this point in his career, but he (at least) won't embarrass the franchise on Sundays.

I've always liked Hasselback. He's a good locker room guy and a good leader. The Jets could do a lot worse. He's going to be great as an analyst, too. I don't think he helps much in the win column at this point in his career, but he (at least) won't embarrass the franchise on Sundays.

He lost his job to Jake Locker who was horrible last season. He's no answer for anything. I'd take a healthy Garrard over him. 

Anyone think the Jets are a tough sell because of the way Rex treated Tebow last year? Say what you will, but Tebow was a 50 megawatt superstar 365 days ago, and now we keep seeing the letters "CFL" invoked next to his name. Sanchez couldn't have been worse last season, yet Rex still protected him like a newborn fawn. What QB with options wants to sign up to be the next guy Rex delusionally buries on the pine?

Just tell FA that Hot Coordinator will give them a shot as he preps this team for 2525's big launch.

He lost his job to Jake Locker who was horrible last season. He's no answer for anything. I'd take a healthy Garrard over him. 

Pretty certain Lockers potential put him under center rather than his play - and who's going to write Garrard's insurance policy? Lloyd's of London wouldn't touch it with a 10 ft pole ...

maybe now you're seeing why the reality based community knows that the Jets won't be a good team in 2013.

Yeah not having Matt Moore is a real blow to my dreams coming true. I have heard your version of reality and I found it as hilarious as you find mine.

Another potential QB bites the dust

March, 8, 2013
Mar 8

10:36

AM ET

By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com
Recommend0

Scratch Matt Moore from the Jets' list of potential quarterback targets.

The Dolphins' backup re-signed Friday morning, according to NFL.com, opting to remain Ryan Tannehill's understudy instead of venturing out into the free-agent market in search of a starting job.

Honestly, I'm not sure the Jets would've been a strong suitor even though Moore was considered by the best quarterback in a weak free-agent crop. The contract numbers haven't been reported yet, but quarterbacks of his ilk (see Chad Henne, Kyle Orton from last year) are getting at least $3 million a year. With $8.25 million already committed to Mark Sanchez in 2013, it may have been a tight squeeze for the cap-strapped Jets.

So where does this leave them? Unless they pull off a trade (Matt Flynn?) or scoop up a veteran that could be released (Kevin Kolb?), the Jets will chop for lower-end free agents such as Brady Quinn and David Garrard. Oh, boy.

Archived