Jets | Stephen Peterman to visit

FoxJet

Makes sense from a few of angles. One, Idzik is hoping to bring in compensatory picks, Peterman was cut so won't count as a signing when those are determined. Two, it decreases the need to bring in a guard on day 2 or sooner of the draft because a rookie doesn't necessarily have to be a plug and play. It's a security blanket in case whatever rookie they draft is not NFL ready (i.e. Vlad). And three, it's additional competition for the guard spot on a team that is increasingly about competition (which I love). I'm sure he'll come cheap so that shouldn't be a concern. Bring him on board if the medical checks out, sign Dawan Landry, and move on to the draft.

He was cut by the Lions due to salary.  Peterman has always been a solid starter who they have not had an issue with.

Last year he led the NFL in QB hurries (36) and was among the worst performing guards with a total 46 sacks, hits and hurries.  How is this solid?  He does not miss many games -- I'll give him that -- but the Lions would have been better off he sat out a few.  

Last year he led the NFL in QB hurries (36) and was among the worst performing guards with a total 46 sacks, hits and hurries.  How is this solid?  He does not miss many games -- I'll give him that -- but the Lions would have been better off he sat out a few.  

agreed and he's part of the reason why Stafford gets hurt every year

He was cut by the Lions due to salary.  Peterman has always been a solid starter who they have not had an issue with.

I don’t know anything about Peterman, but the cap angle is interesting.

At 12.6 Million the Lions spend less then any team in the NFL on the OL.  I would think if the guy was any good they would keep him.

As a starter he's less than satisfactory, but as a backup, for the right price, he's more than capable.  Considering we've all been clamoring for more depth, I'm not so sure why this is getting any backlash.  

Anyone think we might draft an OT if we land the #13?

Lane Johnson would kick Austin Howard inside to guard, and provide LT insurance should DBrick get injured or too expensive.

Howard excels as a run blocker, do it would actually upgrade two spots on the line, with one move.

Anyone think we might draft an OT if we land the #13?

Lane Johnson would kick Austin Howard inside to guard, and provide LT insurance should DBrick get injured or too expensive.

Howard excels as a run blocker, do it would actually upgrade two spots on the line, with one move.

No. Besides the fact that Lane Johnson will be long gone by 13, Austin Howard is the only RFA starter on the whole team. He's not really a guard. 

No. Besides the fact that Lane Johnson will be long gone by 13, Austin Howard is the only RFA starter on the whole team. He's not really a guard.

He might be available at 9. OGs in the top-ten are unheard of, but OTs aren't. Plus he has experience at QB, TE, DL, and OT. That kind of versatility is invaluable. Imagine him as an eligible receiver on goal line.

As for Howard, I'm not the first to float the idea of him moving inside. I thought his height would be an issue, but he really excels at run blocking. I don't think his RFA status has any impact on him competing fur a spot.

He might be available at 9. OGs in the top-ten are unheard of, but OTs aren't 

He also might be a trade up target from Miami and he might go AZ at 7.  and fwiw he's a left tackle and the Jets already have a very good left tackle. Taking Lane Johnson top 10 and making him a starting RT seems ill-conceived. 

if anything guards are becoming as important as tackles. Because of the quick passing game, pressure is coming up the middle. 

Archived