Ape's face-punch worthy mock draft spectacle of attention neediness!!!

Integrity28

I don't know what I'm doing. I encourage you to make fun of me. I'm excited about the draft this year and wanted to tinker with some trade-arounds. 

Here is where I ended up. I tried to make trades that had reasonable basis and logic behind them. 

I'm going to assume all of the Tavon to Jets buzz will prompt someone to trade up for him, or straight-up select him, sniping us at #9. He's shaping up as the most desirable offensive play-maker in the top 10 and I can't imagine a scenario where there is no offense selected in the top 8. He's not making it to us. So... 

R1 #9 - TRADE DOWN: Jets send #9 (1350) and their R5 #141 (35.5) to New Orleans for their #16 (1000), Chris Ivory (4th round value, 44-112), 2014 2nd rounder (worth between ~300) - New Orleans uses pick to select Star Lotulelei, NT (the integral piece of installing a new 3-4 defense)

R1 #13 - Jets select Jonathan Cooper, OG - top graded player, allpro potential, bring offensive line back to dominance

R1 #16 - TRADE DOWN: Jets send #16 (1000) to San Francisco for the R1 #31 (600), R2 #61 (292), R3 #93 (128) - San Fran selects Kenny Vaccaro to replace Dashon Goldson who left via FA

At this point the Jets have traded the #9 and the #141, drafted Jonathan Cooper, and received the #31, #61, #93, Chris Ivory, and a 2014 2nd round pick.

R1 #31 - Jets select Margus Hunt, OLB/DE - with Pace and Barnes in the fold, the Jets can forfeit selecting an OLB early, and take a guy that will start out situational, and develop his ridiculous upside

R2 #39 - Jets select Zach Ertz, TE - Jets are light at WR, and Ertz is the type of guy that can be moved around the formation, not just used as a TE

R2 #44 - TRADE UP: Jets send their R2 #61 (292) and R3 #72 (230) to Carolina for the R2 #44 (460) and R4 #108 (78), Carolina has very few picks this year and is a rational choice for a trade-down. Jets select Jonathan Banks, CB - Idzik comes out of a front office that believes in large, range-y corners

R3 #93 - Jets select Landry Jones, QB or Tyler Wilson, QB

At this point we have Cooper, Ivory, Ertz, and let's say Wilson on offense. We have Hunt and Banks on defense. We've added a 2014 second rounder.

I don't have time to round out the last 4 picks, but they would be... 

R4 #106

R4 #108

R6 #178

R7 #215

I don't know what I'm doing. I encourage you to make fun of me. I'm excited about the draft this year and wanted to tinker with some trade-arounds. 

Here is where I ended up. I tried to make trades that had reasonable basis and logic behind them. 

I'm going to assume all of the Tavon to Jets buzz will prompt someone to trade up for him, or straight-up select him, sniping us at #9. He's shaping up as the most desirable offensive play-maker in the top 10 and I can't imagine a scenario where there is no offense selected in the top 8. He's not making it to us. So... 

R1 #9 - TRADE DOWN: Jets send #9 (1350) and their R5 #141 (35.5) to New Orleans for their #16 (1000), Chris Ivory (4th round value, 44-112), 2014 2nd rounder (worth between ~300) - New Orleans uses pick to select Star Lotulelei, NT (the integral piece of installing a new 3-4 defense)

R1 #13 - Jets select Jonathan Cooper, OG - top graded player, allpro potential, bring offensive line back to dominance

R1 #16 - TRADE DOWN: Jets send #16 (1000) to San Francisco for the R1 #31 (600), R2 #61 (292), R3 #93 (128) - San Fran selects Kenny Vaccaro to replace Dashon Goldson who left via FA

At this point the Jets have traded the #9 and the #141, drafted Jonathan Cooper, and received the #31, #61, #93, Chris Ivory, and a 2014 2nd round pick.

R1 #31 - Jets select Margus Hunt, OLB/DE - with Pace and Barnes in the fold, the Jets can forfeit selecting an OLB early, and take a guy that will start out situational, and develop his ridiculous upside

R2 #39 - Jets select Zach Ertz, TE - Jets are light at WR, and Ertz is the type of guy that can be moved around the formation, not just used as a TE

R2 #44 - TRADE UP: Jets send their R2 #61 (292) and R3 #72 (230) to Carolina for the R2 #44 (460) and R4 #108 (78), Carolina has very few picks this year and is a rational choice for a trade-down. Jets select Jonathan Banks, CB - Idzik comes out of a front office that believes in large, range-y corners

R3 #93 - Jets select Landry Jones, QB or Tyler Wilson, QB

At this point we have Cooper, Ivory, Ertz, and let's say Wilson on offense. We have Hunt and Banks on defense. We've added a 2014 second rounder.

I don't have time to round out the last 4 picks, but they would be... 

R4 #106

R4 #108

R6 #178

R7 #215

Ummmmm that's sucks....  so everybody gets players that have superstar potential... and we get an OLB and a guard?  and future picks...and ivory? yeah....not liking that...

I also imagined a version, same trades, where we end up with:

13 - Jarivs Jones, OLB

31 - Justin Hunter, WR

39 - Ertz, TE

44 - Warford, OG or Pugh, OG

93 - CB

106 - QB

108 - ILB 

178 - Blocking TE

215 - S

+ Ivory

+ 2014 2nd rounder

Offensive weapons added this offseason would be: Ivory, Goodson, Ertz, Hunter, plus a developmental QB

The Jets should not trade any picks away in this draft unless they're trading them for picks in next year's draft. So throwing in a fifth rounder to move down for the favor of taking Chris Ivory (at fourth round compensation level) is pretty ugly - especially when the Jets are allegedly trying to get him straight up for a fifth or a sixth. Ditto for the trade up of a second and a third for a higher second and a fourth.

The Jets should not trade any picks away in this draft unless they're trading them for picks in next year's draft. So throwing in a fifth rounder to move down for the favor of taking Chris Ivory (at fourth round compensation level) is pretty ugly - especially when the Jets are allegedly trying to get him straight up for a fifth or a sixth. Ditto for the trade up of a second and a third for a higher second and a fourth.

I don't disagree. Keep in mind, I'm basing where guys get picked on mock drafts from hacks on the internet, because I don't know anything about scouting. 

I was mostly trying to explore how the trades could develop, while aligning selections my previous posts about BPA aligning with needs on this roster.

Far from perfect, but doing something like this makes you appreciate the front office guys. 

I don't disagree. Keep in mind, I'm basing where guys get picked on mock drafts from hacks on the internet, because I don't know anything about scouting. 

I was mostly trying to explore how the trades could develop, while aligning selections my previous posts about BPA aligning with needs on this roster.

Far from perfect, but doing something like this makes you appreciate the front office guys. 

My feeling is that they'll keep the #9 if one of the pass rushers they really like is there, otherwise they'll try to trade it. Then get aggressive trading the #13. Minnesota's #23 and their second rounder match up well value chart-wise, as does SF's #31 and #34.

I also imagined a version, same trades, where we end up with:

13 - Jarivs Jones, OLB

31 - Justin Hunter, WR

39 - Ertz, TE

44 - Warford, OG or Pugh, OG

93 - CB

106 - QB

108 - ILB 

178 - Blocking TE

215 - S

+ Ivory

+ 2014 2nd rounder

Offensive weapons added this offseason would be: Ivory, Goodson, Ertz, Hunter, plus a developmental QB

I like this one also.  Maybe the Jets should have hired the Ape as GM.

The mental image of an owners, GM, HC presser, with Woody up there trying to look important, and the Ape leaping around, and he and Rex throwing poop at one another is just priceless.  

If a guard was any good, he'd either be a center or a tackle. Picking a guard at 9 is crap. it's like picking a kicker.

This is just a bad bad point. 

Pretty spot on, actually.

A little harsh with the kicker analogy, but OG is probably the third last position you'd take in the top ten after kicker and punter.

Jordan or Mingo

Austin or Patterson

Ertz

Warford

Jennings

Gilisilee

Bray

Make me a GM

I can't believe you thought Jordan, Mingo or Austin would last past #9.

My mock might be off-based, but the guys I assumed would be gone by 8 was accurate, except Cooper. I didn't see him going before #9. I actually thought Milliner would got before #9, and that's why I had Cooper to us.

The 49ers trading up for a safety was spot on, but I'm surprised they opted for the 2nd safety. Saints taking Vaccaro right after us did align with my thought that 49ers would need our pick.

As of right now, I'm hoping we get a WR in R2, perhaps Justin Hunter, then a TE like Escobar in R3.

I would love it if we just re-signed Brandon Moore, and then drafted a 4-7th round OG for depth/grooming.

I dont' think Geno gets to us. Someone will leap-frog us.

I think we end up with Cyprien at FS, which would be great for our secondary. Or we trade down, that would be the ideal scenario.

I'm watching the press conference right now, and I have to say, I love how committed to best player available they are. I can't remember the last time someone logical was in charge around here.

Okay, here is my thinking... 

If Cyprien, Hunt, Geno, Keenan Allen or Ertz are there, pick them. If not, trade back with Baltimore to #62, and let them take Te'o

I don't think Geno or Ertz get to us, I think San Fran takes Ertz.

I basically just don't want Nassib here, I don't know anything about him, but don't want a pick here than can't potentially contribute immediately.

Archived