Could the jets run some 4-3 Under this year?

TehFalcon63

First post in a long time, forgot I was a member here. But, with the personnel we now have, I think we could definitely take a page from the 49ers' playbook and have a lot of success with the 4-3 Under. I think we have the right personnel for it. Here's a picture of the 49ers in the 4-3 Under:

n6s3s6.jpg

Obviously, Jarrett and Landry would be the safeties, and Cro and Milliner would be the CBs. Harris and Davis would be at the ILBs. Garay/Ellis would be at the Nose, while Wilk would be at the weak 5 and Richardson the strong 3. Coples would play standup on the strong side, and Barnes would play stand up on the weak side.

We would still have stout run defense on the weak side with Wilk and Harris, but we'd also have great pass rushing from nearly everywhere. Coples, Barnes, Davis, and Richardson fit PERFECTLY into this scheme, in my opinion.

We have the cover corners, and with some creative blitzes from Ryan, I think we could become the top defense again.

I could go on for hours about this scheme and why I think it would work, but what do you guys think? Also, what are your thoughts at trying Wilson at FS? 

A couple days ago Rex said during a PC that the Jets ran a 4-3 about 60% of the time last year.  He scoffed at those thinking they won't be able to make the Sheldon R. pick work. 

Thurman also pooh poohed the notion that Coples will have a tough time adjusting to the OLB position.  Said his primary responsibility will be rushing the passer.  Also said he was excited about the DL being able to generate pressure without having to blitz.

I'm particularly excited to see what Milliner can do.  Normally the #1 CB drafted has to come in and face opposing teams #1 receivers.  The Jets have the luxury of being able to put him up against #2's and move Wilson to the slot.  On top of that you add depth like Trufant and Berry etc and you can hopefully make up for the lack of playmakers at safety.

I'm really excited to see this group come together the next few months.  I really think we're going to see a top 5 D for the forseeable future.

The Jets give you a lot of looks under Rex Ryan.  Always have, always will.  He's the strength of the team.  If anyone can figure out how to use the young defensive talent they've accumulated over the past few years, its him.

one problem with the 4-3 under is defending the A and B gaps when your ILB's arent beasts.  Quick reaction and a Kamikaze mentality are needed from the inside backers, especially against a good inside trapping o-line.  If Richardson is a penetrator rather than a space eater, count on getting gashed up the middle, and forget risking inside blitzes on running downs.  We have good personnel to fit the scheme, but not the right "type" of personel IMO.  Harris is a good run stuffer, but otherwise we're going to have trouble unless our safeties excel at attacking the LOS.  Perhaps Davis is better than I'm giving him credit for and a physical safety like Jarrett can help in run support.  Garay or Ellis would fit better at the zero technique to swallow lineman and keep them off our backers.  Could it work?  probably.  but I think our personnel are a less than perfect fit for this D.  It so happens that the 9ers had a beast backer and safety and were solid most everyhwere else.  We're not quite there yet, IMO.

A couple days ago Rex said during a PC that the Jets ran a 4-3 about 60% of the time last year.  He scoffed at those thinking they won't be able to make the Sheldon R. pick work. 

Thurman also pooh poohed the notion that Coples will have a tough time adjusting to the OLB position.  Said his primary responsibility will be rushing the passer.  Also said he was excited about the DL being able to generate pressure without having to blitz.

I'm particularly excited to see what Milliner can do.  Normally the #1 CB drafted has to come in and face opposing teams #1 receivers.  The Jets have the luxury of being able to put him up against #2's and move Wilson to the slot.  On top of that you add depth like Trufant and Berry etc and you can hopefully make up for the lack of playmakers at safety.

I'm really excited to see this group come together the next few months.  I really think we're going to see a top 5 D for the forseeable future.

At least for the first three quarters of games!  

Obviously Jarrett is a starting safety. Lol, what?

On our current roster, I believe he is. I think we need to go out and get a FS, though, as I don't believe he is the answer at FS. Maybe bring back Rhodes? I never wanted him to leave. Does Woodson have anything left in the tank at FS? I'm not sure, but we should definitely put up a veteran FS.

one problem with the 4-3 under is defending the A and B gaps when your ILB's arent beasts.  Quick reaction and a Kamikaze mentality are needed from the inside backers, especially against a good inside trapping o-line.  If Richardson is a penetrator rather than a space eater, count on getting gashed up the middle, and forget risking inside blitzes on running downs.  We have good personnel to fit the scheme, but not the right "type" of personel IMO.  Harris is a good run stuffer, but otherwise we're going to have trouble unless our safeties excel at attacking the LOS.  Perhaps Davis is better than I'm giving him credit for and a physical safety like Jarrett can help in run support.  Garay or Ellis would fit better at the zero technique to swallow lineman and keep them off our backers.  Could it work?  probably.  but I think our personnel are a less than perfect fit for this D.  It so happens that the 9ers had a beast backer and safety and were solid most everyhwere else.  We're not quite there yet, IMO.

Fair enough. But one thing I will say is that the entire premise of this thread is based on the presumption that Davis will continue his upward climb.

I still think Harris is one of the best ILB. He had one bad fluke year.

Also, to help defend the "A" gap my team often makes an adjustment when they're in an 2-back formation to move the weak-side DE over a slot to the 1 and bringing the FS up (we have a FS who can take on blockers to help me get pressure in the 4-3 Under)

It makes it almost like a 4-4 look, but it addresses that problem usually..

Also, to help defend the "A" gap my team often makes an adjustment when they're in an 2-back formation to move the weak-side DE over a slot to the 1 and bringing the FS up (we have a FS who can take on blockers to help me get pressure in the 4-3 Under)

It makes it almost like a 4-4 look, but it addresses that problem usually..

Right, that's the thing. You need a maniac safety and at least one quick twitch linebacker or the middle is toast, and that's assuming you have a nose that's eating up double teams. Every D has weaknesses. Personally, I like the idea so long as it isn't the base defense. As a package to get your best players on the field during passing downs it could be very successful. As base defense, it can be schemed for and exploited if you don't have the horses to pull it off in the middle.

Also, your not going to gain any friends here debating actual football with knowledge of schemes and intelligent discourse. The first thing you need to do is make fun of something Sanchez has worn in the past 3 years. Then make an enemy and troll him. Also, if you noticed, I used the wrong form of they're in the first sentence. You'll definitely want to correct my grammar and insist I'm an idiot. These things are not only acceptable, but expected. Thank you for time. Dick.

Just kidding about the dick thing. Thought I'd help you along a bit is all.

Also, your not going to gain any friends here debating actual football with knowledge of schemes and intelligent discourse. The first thing you need to do is make fun of something Sanchez has worn in the past 3 years. Then make an enemy and troll him. Also, if you noticed, I used the wrong form of they're in the first sentence. You'll definitely want to correct my grammar and insist I'm an idiot. These things are not only acceptable, but expected. Thank you for time. Dick.

Just kidding about the dick thing. Thought I'd help you along a bit is all.

Grammar_Natzee_revised_by_doommech33_783

Archived