Rex Ryan OTA Talk

JetNation

The Jets were on the field today for OTA’s (Organized Team Activities).  After practice Rex Ryan spoke to the media about the quarterback situation.

On whether the Geno Smith and Mark Sanchez getting the majority of the reps is an indication that the quarterback competition is a two-man race…
Again, there’s going to be competition. Each day would vary as far as what you’re putting in. You can probably say the same thing about any other position with a third group. I think the numbers were probably dispersed fairly evenly to that as well.

On whether he would be open to adding another veteran quarterback to the competition…
I think this organization, as we’ve stated, and myself obviously included with this statement, that any player that we think could help this football team, we would be open to.

On the importance protecting the football will be in determining the starting quarterback…
I think it’s a huge issue for our football team. Obviously, that position, you have to protect the football. You’re going to have the ball in your hand every snap on offense, but it’s even more than that. We’ll evaluate the punt returner the same way (and) evaluate the kick returner the same way. So, those are areas that we know we have to improve in. We have a lot of talent. Joe McKnight has led this league in kick return (average), but Joe will probably be the first one to tell you, “I better protect it. I need to protect it to help my team.” So, as we look at it, absolutely that will be weighed into the decision (of) who’s going to play quarterback.

Below is a video of Rex Ryan from NJ.com.  Also, be sure to check out our 

Rex preached accountability refreshing !

What my take was on Rex's OTA news conference he's greasing the slope for
Sanchez's quick exit --cant happen soon enough---Charlie Batch needs a call from the Jets to mentor and backup Geno--he would be perfect---beat the ravans last yr subing for Big Ben

Charlie batch? What's with this mentor thing luck and rg3 didn't have one y do we need a mentor for our QB

Andrew Luck has been mentored since the womb and RGIII was about 10x the prospect Geno is coming out. Not to mention be has a coach who's fully committed to his QB's success. We should be trying to do whatever it takes this time around to promote success because I can't watch this teams offense after this year if it stays like this.

Sanchez's quick exit --cant happen soon enough---Charlie Batch needs a call from the Jets to mentor and backup Geno--he would be perfect---beat the ravans last yr subing for Big Ben

If Sanchez keeps throwing OTA interceptions to 3rd sting defensive tackles, a quick exit will definitely be in his future.

Andrew Luck has been mentored since the womb and RGIII was about 10x the prospect Geno is coming out. Not to mention be has a coach who's fully committed to his QB's success. We should be trying to do whatever it takes this time around to promote success because I can't watch this teams offense after this year if it stays like this.

So basically ur saying is our future QB isn't on the team yet! When we have the 2nd pick next year is when we will draft him

Let me ask you this.

If you were an aging QB, and were on a team that you were pretty sure that you were still the best QB on, and could win the starting job.

Would you be interested in mentoring a 22 YO QB so next year you could be dispatched to your new career selling car insurance, would you really be interested in helping him out?

This mentoring thing is so overblown.  Players, by nature, are very competitive, and strongly protect their million plus a year jobs.

If you were Charlie Batch you would take whatever NFL job you got.  The fact that he could start on the Jets is a bonus.  I doubt there is a better situation for the guy than taking Garrard's place.

Oh I agree.  Batch is done, but he is still the best QB on the Jets. 

He would be coming here to win the starting job.  Not help Smith.  Same reason Garrard came here.  He might have said he would help Sanchez, and Smith, but in reality he wanted to beat them out, and could have.

If you want a mentor you get a guy who is in the situation Garrard is in now.  His career is over.  You hire him for $50,000 a year as an intern, not $1,000,000 as a player.

The Jets need a starter.  They have QB coaches

Let me ask you this.

If you were an aging QB, and were on a team that you were pretty sure that you were still the best QB on, and could win the starting job.

Would you be interested in mentoring a 22 YO QB so next year you could be dispatched to your new career selling car insurance, would you really be interested in helping him out?

This mentoring thing is so overblown.  Players, by nature, are very competitive, and strongly protect their million plus a year jobs.

Brunell was a mentor.  The last thing he wanted to do was play.  The reason was obvious.

I'll believe Rex holding players accountable when it starts happening, but I'm not gonna hold my breath.  That said, if he wants to keep his job, he'd better.  I don't think Idzik will put up with his lack of holding players accountable for one second.

So basically ur saying is our future QB isn't on the team yet! When we have the 2nd pick next year is when we will draft him

No, that's not what he's saying at all.  Get real, dude.  You're making us NC Jets fans who are posters look bad.  

Everything isn't black and white, bad or good, that is to say extremes.  Geno has a ton of talent.  Based on your/their comments, a lot of Jets fans have NO idea what it takes to teach someone and help them develop their talent.  Everyone isn't the same and we don't all learn in the same ways or at the same rate.  Just because someone doesn't come as the consensus #1 QB in the draft or as a "can't miss prospect" doesn't mean that they won't develop into at least solid starters, if not topnotch quality players.  Some people are "late bloomers" while others max out their potential in their teens or early 20s. Others get better and better on a yearly basis, while still others show flashes, and they suddenly put it all together their 2nd or 3rd year in the league.  For many others, the light never goes on at all.

Geno has had what, 2 OTA practices?  He's trying to learn the offense, adjust to the speed of the NFL, adjust to taking snaps under center, while thinking about his footwork, his reads, etc.  I'm sure his head is swimming right now.  How about giving the kid a chance before you're ready to declare him a bust?

Brunell was a mentor.  The last thing he wanted to do was play.  The reason was obvious.

Brunell couldn't play.  The few times we saw him, even in camp, he was awful.  Even worst then Sanchez.

The difference was, he was here because Sanchez liked him (or his daughter)  and the Jets were, at the time, kissing Sanchez's butt.

Right now the Jets desperately need a starter.  Smith right now isn't it.  I don't know if he will ever be.  Problem is with putting him out there to get a very early draft pick next year is that, next year's QB draft isn't much better then this year's.

Teddy?  Maybe, but for sure not an Andrew Luck.  Johnny football?  Think Tim Tebow.  Things could change of course over the next season, but right now, to me at least, the QB situation in next year's draft looks pretty grim

Let me ask you this.

Undoubtedly, you're right about many of the players being selfish, but those same players are short-sighted.  I've seen countless coaches over the years talk about this very thing, and players who are selfish and won't help the younger players don't stick around very long.  Quite a few veterans have extended their NFL careers by helping mentor younger players. Why keep an older player around who's on the downside of his career, if he's not willing to help the youngsters?  There are plenty of vets around, both older and in their prime who not only will, but who DO help the younger players.

The bottom line is that at the moment they're on the same team, and the last time I looked, that's what is important.  They should be trying to make the team better and give the team the best chance to win.

Undoubtedly, you're right about many of the players being selfish, but those same players are short-sighted.  I've seen countless coaches over the years talk about this very thing, and players who are selfish and won't help the younger players don't stick around very long.  Quite a few veterans have extended their NFL careers by helping mentor younger players. Why keep an older player around who's on the downside of his career, if he's not willing to help the youngsters?  There are plenty of vets around, both older and in their prime who not only will, but who DO help the younger players.

The bottom line is that at the moment they're on the same team, and the last time I looked, that's what is important.  They should be trying to make the team better and give the team the best chance to win.

Joe it's not so much players are selfish, but lets bring this to the real world.

I have no idea what you do for a living, but lets assume that you make very good money.  Your production is down, and you and your boss aren't getting along very well.

Suddenly they bring in a much younger guy.  Your boss wants you to "show him the ropes"  What are you going to do?

1)  Look for another job (not an option for most of these guys in the NFL)

2) Compete against him, and try to get him off your back.

3)  Collect food stamps

This give one up for the team in 90% of the case is only in the fans minds.  if a player is "mentoring" a younger player it's because it's his only choice to make 6 figures.

To us this is a game.  To them it's a livelihood.  Perhaps a few of them have invested well, and are set for life, and just want to help the team out that made them millionaires.  A very high percentage of them declare bankruptcy shortly after they retire.  It's not a good thing when your team drafts a player in the 1st or second round at your position.

Joe it's not so much players are selfish, but lets bring this to the real world.

I have no idea what you do for a living, but lets assume that you make very good money.  Your production is down, and you and your boss aren't getting along very well.

Suddenly they bring in a much younger guy.  Your boss wants you to "show him the ropes"  What are you going to do?

1)  Look for another job (not an option for most of these guys in the NFL)

2) Compete against him, and try to get him off your back.

3)  Collect food stamps

This give one up for the team in 90% of the case is only in the fans minds.  if a player is "mentoring" a younger player it's because it's his only choice to make 6 figures.

To us this is a game.  To them it's a livelihood.  Perhaps a few of them have invested well, and are set for life, and just want to help the team out that made them millionaires.  A very high percentage of them declare bankruptcy shortly after they retire.  It's not a good thing when your team drafts a player in the 1st or second round at your position.

Football isn't the business world.  During my years in NYC as a consultant, I worked for such firms as Price Waterhouse, Arthur Anderson, PaineWebber, Bear Stearns, Chemical Bank, CitiBank, and Goldman Sachs.  I'm very familiar with how that world works.  That's why I'm no longer in it.  Managers there talk about "teamwork" but it's a bunch of BS.

Football is different.  I'm telling you that I've seen lots of direct quotes from coaches over the years talking about this very issue.  Most of them don't want selfish players.  Yes, they want them to compete, but also to help each other.  That's what brings out the best in each player and in the team overall.  Those HCs said that they didn't keep older veterans around who were selfish and wouldn't help mentor/teach the younger players.

The reality of the game is that there is almost always someone better than you at your position.  If not, there soon will be, or someone close.  As players get older, their speed, quickness and skills start deteriorating.  They become more injury prone and heal slower.  That's a fact of life.  They're gonna be replaced eventually.  Of course they want to hold onto their starting jobs as long as they can, and they scratch and claw to do so, but that doesn't mean that they have to become selfish and refuse to help others.  Not helping the younger players won't necessarily prevent one of those players from taking his job, it just makes him a selfish jerk and creates tension and conflict in the locker room.

No, that's not what he's saying at all. Get real, dude. You're making us NC Jets fans who are posters look bad.

Everything isn't black and white, bad or good, that is to say extremes. Geno has a ton of talent. Based on your/their comments, a lot of Jets fans have NO idea what it takes to teach someone and help them develop their talent. Everyone isn't the same and we don't all learn in the same ways or at the same rate. Just because someone doesn't come as the consensus #1 QB in the draft or as a "can't miss prospect" doesn't mean that they won't develop into at least solid starters, if not topnotch quality players. Some people are "late bloomers" while others max out their potential in their teens or early 20s. Others get better and better on a yearly basis, while still others show flashes, and they suddenly put it all together their 2nd or 3rd year in the league. For many others, the light never goes on at all.

Geno has had what, 2 OTA practices? He's trying to learn the offense, adjust to the speed of the NFL, adjust to taking snaps under center, while thinking about his footwork, his reads, etc. I'm sure his head is swimming right now. How about giving the kid a chance before you're ready to declare him a bust?

I agree we don't know anything about geno !

My real issue is it looks as though we are in total rebuild mode and the way I look at this team is we have no skill players and we will prob win 4 games max . So we are going to need to find out fast what he is . Cause if there's a better qb in the draft we need to get him! We don't have the luxury of waiting for him !

I agree we don't know anything about geno !

My real issue is it looks as though we are in total rebuild mode and the way I look at this team is we have no skill players and we will prob win 4 games max . So we are going to need to find out fast what he is . Cause if there's a better qb in the draft we need to get him! We don't have the luxury of waiting for him !

OK, this is different.  

I think the team could win more than 4 games if the new defensive players play anywhere near their ability and if the OL gels and RBs stay healthy.  That's a lot of "ifs" however.  I don't think the Jets should be panicked to find out what they have.  The season is 16 games long.  After watching him practice and seeing what kind of progress, adjustments he makes during the course of the season, he could start the last 6 games or so, and they'd have a pretty good idea of what they have in him.

With no skill players how are the Jets supposed to get a true read of what Smith can do early in the season, especially when the OL hasn't gelled yet.  Start him early, and he could go down with a season-ending injury within the first couple of games.  Then where would they be?  Even if he didn't get injured, if he had to run for his life on almost every snap, or didn't have WRs who could get open or catch the ball, the Jets aren't going to get a good read on him.  The danger is also that he might start pressing, trying to do too much to make up for what the players around him aren't doing.  The kid has some technique and fundamentals he needs to work on pressure free, so that when he takes the field, he doesn't have to be thinking about those things, instead he can relax and let his talent take over.  He also needs to get the offense solidly under his belt.

Some things cannot be rushed and require patience.  We may not like it as fans, but that's just how it is.  Rome wasn't built in a day.  Idzik still has a LOT of work to do with this roster. They will find out what they have in Smith before the end of the season, so that heading into the offseason they'll know where their priorities are.  Unless Sims, Sanchez or McElroy prove to be a revelation during TC, I expect that the Jets will take a QB next year anyway.  If they really like Smith, then they'll probably look for a younger veteran backup in FA, or perhaps sign and older one for a year or two, and draft a QB in the middle or lower rounds with an eye at developing him into Smith's backup.

OK, this is different.

I think the team could win more than 4 games if the new defensive players play anywhere near their ability and if the OL gels and RBs stay healthy. That's a lot of "ifs" however. I don't think the Jets should be panicked to find out what they have. The season is 16 games long. After watching him practice and seeing what kind of progress, adjustments he makes during the course of the season, he could start the last 6 games or so, and they'd have a pretty good idea of what they have in him.

With no skill players how are the Jets supposed to get a true read of what Smith can do early in the season, especially when the OL hasn't gelled yet. Start him early, and he could go down with a season-ending injury within the first couple of games. Then where would they be? Even if he didn't get injured, if he had to run for his life on almost every snap, or didn't have WRs who could get open or catch the ball, the Jets aren't going to get a good read on him. The danger is also that he might start pressing, trying to do too much to make up for what the players around him aren't doing. The kid has some technique and fundamentals he needs to work on pressure free, so that when he takes the field, he doesn't have to be thinking about those things, instead he can relax and let his talent take over. He also needs to get the offense solidly under his belt.

Some things cannot be rushed and require patience. We may not like it as fans, but that's just how it is. Rome wasn't built in a day. Idzik still has a LOT of work to do with this roster. They will find out what they have in Smith before the end of the season, so that heading into the offseason they'll know where their priorities are. Unless Sims, Sanchez or McElroy prove to be a revelation during TC, I expect that the Jets will take a QB next year anyway. If they really like Smith, then they'll probably look for a younger veteran backup in FA, or perhaps sign and older one for a year or two, and draft a QB in the middle or lower rounds with an eye at developing him into Smith's backup.

I just didn't like the geno pick due to most scouts are either like him or don't and we need a lot more and if we pick another qb next yr that will me 3 in 5 yrs that's how u don't build a team! Way to rebuild is be bad and get a qb !

Do u really think this gutted roster with no safety's is going to be good if they get 4 I'm shocked if they get close to 8 Rex should be coach of year!

I'd really like the Mr T bashing should stop in 7 yrs he had 2 losing seasons 3 playoff s 2 AFC title games while it didn't end well he did a lot better than all our other gms did in yrs

What is with this rehash list people keep bringing up.  Batch seems like a good guy and all, but come on.  He won his first game in years last year, but that was it. He finished with 1 TD and 4 INT last year.   He's played in a couple of games over the past decade.   The guy has been a backup in Pittsburgh before Big Ben even arrived.

But wow, the guy had one good game in years and suddenly he'd beat out Sanchez and Smith?   This I don't get.

Let me ask you this.

Oh my God, this and every other thing like this.

Oh my God, this and every other thing like this.

The truth is,  if you think you can play, why would you want to be a backup?    Players can put on a good persona, act friendly, even be friendly, but some of the best QBs of all time weren't known as good mentors and their backups didn't exactly like being a backup.    The only players who love being a backup are never going to be a starter.  The Charlie Batch theory is kind of funny. The Guy has been a backup for the past decade,  suddenly he's a starter?  I doubt it.  Is he a mentor?  Who knows, but why bring in another QB when you already have Sanchez, Smith,  McElroy, and Simms.  

Is Batch really better than any of those guys?   He might win over McElroy and Simms, but if you have to pay him a million bucks, he's not worth it.   And if Geno can't beat out Batch for the backup job,  he's probably going to be a guy who rarely plays QB in the NFL.  

There are some things Batch might be able to teach Geno.  But at this point he'd teach him what about playing?  How to still be in the NFL as a backup after a decade?

I just didn't like the geno pick due to most scouts are either like him or don't and we need a lot more and if we pick another qb next yr that will me 3 in 5 yrs that's how u don't build a team! Way to rebuild is be bad and get a qb !

Do u really think this gutted roster with no safety's is going to be good if they get 4 I'm shocked if they get close to 8 Rex should be coach of year!

I'd really like the Mr T bashing should stop in 7 yrs he had 2 losing seasons 3 playoff s 2 AFC title games while it didn't end well he did a lot better than all our other gms did in yrs

So you didn't like the Smith pick.  Fine. That's your privilege.  

There is more than one way to build a team, and when the most important position/player on the team is the QB and you don't have one, you do what you need to do to try to get one.  Unless Smith pans out, they will have to draft another QB, but they also will need a quality backup.  The fact that they are in such a mess at the QB position is TOTALLY on Tanny.  Not only did Tanny draft a QB with one year's starting experience in college, but traded up to get him.  He failed to secure a veteran QB who could start while Sanchez learned or who could be a quality backup.  Brunell?  Tebow?  He also failed to acquire a viable backup QB in the draft.

Did I say the team was going to be good?  No.  I think everything will have to work out perfectly for the Jets to get to 8 wins, and it's more likely that they'll only win 6-7 games or less.

Stop bashing Tanny?  As they say in NYC, "fuhgeddaboutit".  Not gonna happen.  

I'm sorry but if you think that Tanny was a great or even good GM, then there's no point in our speaking any further on this point, because we will  never agree.  Tanny couldn't find good talent unless he traded up to get it.  He ignored many positions, partially because he never had enough draft picks due to his propensity to trade up.  He left the cupboard bare with major holes all over the roster and little depth.  Aside from Gholston, he ignored the second major position of need on this team, and any 3-4 D alignment... a pass rushing OLB.  He overpaid for older veterans on the downside of their careers.  In spite of being an accountant and supposed cap guru, his last 3 years he handed out awful contracts bidding against only himself and created the cap hell the Jets have been in this year by constantly getting older, less productive players to renegotiate their contracts so he could sign more older, expensive FAs.  I believe in one of your posts you spoke of how the team has no WRs.  Who is to blame for that?  Tanny!!!   He let one of the best WRs the Jets have had in recent years go and instead kept and overpaid a malcontent who isn't even a true #1 WR.  Under Tanny, the Jets had the slowest and perhaps worst LB corps in the NFL.  Let's look at the current problem areas on the team...you mentioned the safeties.  Again, well who's fault is it that they never significantly addressed either S position in the draft?  You got it, Tanny.  Look at the TE position.  The only good TE he drafted was Keller, and Tanny had to trade up for him, and we all know that Keller can't block and he also drops too many passes and disappears too often in games to be a premier player.  His other acquisitions at TE were a WR convert who while a good prospect, can't stay healthy and is not a good blocker, either, and a former rubgy player who had never played the game before.  The OL?  He wasted a 2nd round pick on a 3 year project at OG, didn't have a RT in the wings to take over for Damien Woody or an OG to replace Faneca or Moore.  RB?  He traded up for a RB who has little elusiveness or power in spite of his being built like a power back.   Tanny's so great, he's out of the NFL and will never find work as a GM again.  The only reason he isn't one of the worst GMs the Jets have ever had is because they've had such a sorry, embarrassing history and had some of the worst GMs in the history of the game.

...But wow, the guy had one good game in years and suddenly he'd beat out Sanchez and Smith?   This I don't get.

I do.  You're looking at Sanchez  as the young player who was good enough to get the team to two playoffs his first two years.  What other people see is a player who started declining two years ago and was in virtual free fall the second half of the past season.  Not completely his fault-but still in free fall.

Now he starts off the OTA's with 3 INT's his first workout back.

If Sanchez is going to continue to spiral down and down, then saying Charlie Batch could beat him out is a perfectly sensible conclusion.  Sanchez might well have declined to the point that he is completely useless to the New York Jets.  If he is to function at all as a QB, he might require a change of scenery.

Archived