Geno Smith Will Attend Jets West If Asked

JetNation

The NY Post has an update on the “no comment” that Geno Smith gave this week when he was asked if he would attend Jets West camp.

On Wednesday, Smith gave a “no comment” when asked if he would attend the camp Sanchez holds annually in Southern California. That was read as Smith possibly skipping the camp or some trouble brewing between the two. But Smith said Thursday that’s not the case.

“Myself and Mark had never discussed [the camp],” Smith said. “It kind of caught me off guard because it’s not on my schedule or anything.”

Jets West is a camp for offensive players that is run by Mark Sanchez.  Sanchez is in a no-win situation, obviously he would be better served personally by working out with the wide receivers without Geno Smith in attendance.  That would give him a head start on claiming the starting QB job as they head into training camp.  He would be vilified thoroughly if he does this camp again and doesn’t invite Geno Smith.  As a team leader, he would be expected to put the team first.

Geno should not have to elaborate on a no comment. No one should. It's no comment, dammit. 

My guess is it was probably a deliberate decision by Geno to talk about it further.  From the complete quotes I had seen from Geno in an article yesterday, it almost sounded like he had no idea what they were even talking about when it came up initially, which was the reason for the no comment.  But when he found out, it sounded like he wanted to throw it out there to let it be known that he would go but wasn't asked, which at the same time quells any of the crap he initially was getting based on the media's interpretation that it meant Geno wouldn't go, while it also kind of strong-arms Sanchez into extending Geno an invite or looking like a complete douche.  Probably a pretty smart move by Geno actually.

Poor Mark, put in the position of having to fly his competition out to California to take his job away - or look like a petty dick for not doing so.

Well played, Geno.

Exactly.  Can't really blame Geno for trying to get himself an invite, particularly since Sanchez has invited the Jets' backup QBs out in prior years, including Tebow last year.

the whole Jets west thing should stop. It clearly isn't helping. 

remember when Eli had his guys running on a football field above the holland tunnel during lockout? that's better than Jets west. We aren't in the west, Mark. 

the whole Jets west thing should stop. It clearly isn't helping. 

remember when Eli had his guys running on a football field above the holland tunnel during lockout? that's better than Jets west. We aren't in the west, Mark. 

Jets West, lol. sigh.

I think most participants see this as a freebie.  Mark picks up the tab for hotel, food, booze, etc.   Hell, as a young, single guy, I'd jump at the chance.  Can you imagine the chicks they have hanging around?

I think most participants see this as a freebie.  Mark picks up the tab for hotel, food, booze, etc.   Hell, as a young, single guy, I'd jump at the chance.  Can you imagine the chicks they have hanging around?

It's California. They have dudes hanging around. All the chicks are trying to bang movie producers ;)

It's California. They have dudes hanging around. All the chicks are trying to bang movie producers ;)

Oh, I'm sure Sanchez and his pals get their "beaks" wet, too.   Reminds me, I need to order another gross of Executive Producer/SONY Pictures business cards.

Pretty sure they will need someone to throw the ball so Geno might be better off helping Cro with his version of Jets West.

COMMENTARY | Following the lead of New York Jets' quarterback Mark Sanchez, teammate and cornerback Antonio Cromartie will be hosting an offseason camp for the team's defensive backs in California. In the aftermath of the trade of star cornerback Darrelle Revis, the Jets' secondary has undergone massive changes. If Cromartie is succesful, a degree of defensive team unity and cohesion will be built prior to the preseason.

Jets West Part Two

In recent years, Mark Sanchez has organized an offseason training camp for himself and the other offensive skill-position players, colloquially called "Jets West." The activity is meant to promote team bonding and enforce Sanchez's leadership position.

Apparently learning from this, Antonio Cromartie is setting up a similar camp (according to Kristian Dyer of Metro.us) for defensive backs, that is to say the cornerbacks and safeties. At the camp, players will both live and train together in preparation for the 2013 preseason and regular season.

Cromartie's Career Arc

The career path of Antonio Cromartie has been surprising to say the least since joining the New York Jets in 2010. Now entering his fourth season with the team, he has far exceeded the expectations that had been laid on him.

After a successful year in 2007 with the San Diego Chargers, Cromartie had two consecutive disappointing years, causing the Chargers to decide to get rid of them. He was traded to the Jets, and at that point his career, while his talents were known nationwide, he was not known for his reliability or leadership qualities.

Cromartie immediately made an impact in New York in 2010, helping the team to one of its most successful years in recent history. The Jets went 11-5, defeated their top rival (the New England Patriots) in the playoffs and reached the AFC championship game.

Since then, Cromartie has cemented his role as one of the defensive leaders more and more, wiht this phenomenon coming to a real head after the injury to Revis in Week 3 of the 2012 season. After the 2012 season, Cromartie made his second Pro Bowl (and first as a member of the Jets).

A Unit in Need of Leadership

If Cromartie does in fact become an effective leader for this group of defensive backs, it would be significant for the coming season. When Cromartie first came to New York, safety Jim Leonhard and cornerback Darrelle Revis were the unquestioned leaders of the defensive backs. With both of those players now gone, the Jets are in dire need of a veteran leader in the defensive secondary.

In addition to Revis being traded this offseason, Pro Bowl safety LaRon Landry was allowed to leave......

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/copying-mark-sanchez-york-jets-antonio-cromartie-host-140000578.html

Archived