John Abraham

flgreen

Is he still a FA?  I think he is.  What's up with that?

Think he had 10 sacks last year.  Jets only had 30 sacks last year, and are trying to find a pass rusher. 

Moving Couples to OLB, Barnes, Pace is back.  Why not bring in Abraham for one year?  Yeah he's an old guy, but he probably has one more year 8-10 sacks, which is better then anyone else on  the Jets.

It just seems odd that a player that is still productive, at a very valuable position is still out there.

Why not sign him?

Supposedly he is looking to be in on 60% of the snaps and seeking real money.  He saw Freeny's contract as a baseline and one of the articles about him claimed he was giving teams "sticker shock" with  his asking price.  He will probably sign closer to camp, when teams know they need him or he gets tired of waiting and lowers his price, but he has hit twitter hinting he'd retire.  Jets are probably a pretty horrible fit.  He might help at the right price in the right role, but he'd probably help a whole bunch of teams more that have more room for him and more money.

Supposedly he is looking to be in on 60% of the snaps and seeking real money.  He saw Freeny's contract as a baseline and one of the articles about him claimed he was giving teams "sticker shock" with  his asking price.  He will probably sign closer to camp, when teams know they need him or he gets tired of waiting and lowers his price, but he has hit twitter hinting he'd retire.  Jets are probably a pretty horrible fit.  He might help at the right price in the right role, but he'd probably help a whole bunch of teams more that have more room for him and more money.

I had not read that, but your probably right.

I was thinking along the lines of , at 35, vets min.  with some nice incentives.   

I had not read that, but your probably right.

I was thinking along the lines of , at 35, vets min.  with some nice incentives.  

If that was what he was willing to accept, then he would have signed with someone a while ago.  He's looking for that last big paycheck.  At his age, there's no way he's going to get what he's asking for.  

If that was what he was willing to accept, then he would have signed with someone a while ago.  He's looking for that last big paycheck.  At his age, there's no way he's going to get what he's asking for.  

Freeney got $8-9M over 2, with almost $5M guaranteed.   Abraham has 10 more sacks over the past 3 years. 

I don't understand the negotiating logic there. Retire instead of making some money? No money vs. some money? Smaller paycheck but less to do? Unless, you're playing for stats and trying to sweeten a HOF case. 

Freeney got $8-9M over 2, with almost $5M guaranteed.   Abraham has 10 more sacks over the past 3 years. 

Yep, all your points are valid, and that's probably what he's trying to do.

Only difference is I think, with out looking it up, Freeny is 2 years younger.   He'll be finishing that contract when he's Abraham's age.

Don't think any one is going to pay Abraham that kind of money, but I can't blame the guy for trying to choke out the last dime he can

Yep, all your points are valid, and that's probably what he's trying to do.

Only difference is I think, with out looking it up, Freeny is 2 years younger.   He'll be finishing that contract when he's Abraham's age.

Don't think any one is going to pay Abraham that kind of money, but I can't blame the guy for trying to choke out the last dime he can

Freeney, while mostly a pass rusher, at least plays the run. And doesn't go out of games every time he feels a twinge. Abraham, as talented as he is or was, will be looking at vet minimum. He's one dimensional and not much of a team guy either. That's a really hard sell for any franchise.

Freeney is a few years younger.  He also has a long history with the Colts, and was retained to be a veteran presence on a very young team.  

I don't understand the negotiating logic there. Retire instead of making some money? No money vs. some money? Smaller paycheck but less to do? Unless, you're playing for stats and trying to sweeten a HOF case. 

At a loss too. Where does Abraham think he's making close to that kind of cake? He was never a media friendly guy and his career is pretty checkered so he's no lock to get a job at ESPN. This is really it for this guy as far as earning like this. Remember the game he got out of his sick bed in Oakland and sacked Rich Gannon 3 times to advance the jets in the playoffs? me neither.

Typical Jets fans.  We hate Abraham he must suck.  Abraham plays the run as much as Freeney.  Look at the numbers.  Freeney had like 10 tackles last year and 15 the year before.  Give me a break.  Abraham played 70+% of the snaps for the Falcons last season.  We don't have to want him back, or pay him, but there is no reason to think Freeney is worth more.  Why shouldn't he posture until camp and even after?  

Typical Jets fans. We hate Abraham he must suck. Abraham plays the run as much as Freeney. Look at the numbers. Freeney had like 10 tackles last year and 15 the year before. Give me a break. Abraham played 70+% of the snaps for the Falcons last season. We don't have to want him back, or pay him, but there is no reason to think Freeney is worth more. Why shouldn't he posture until camp and even after?

Like Simeon Rice.

Typical Jets fans.  We hate Abraham he must suck.  Abraham plays the run as much as Freeney.  Look at the numbers.  Freeney had like 10 tackles last year and 15 the year before.  Give me a break.  Abraham played 70+% of the snaps for the Falcons last season.  We don't have to want him back, or pay him, but there is no reason to think Freeney is worth more.  Why shouldn't he posture until camp and even after?  

He pussied out of a playoff game for the Jets.He should bear that for the rest of his life.  The rest is details. He does in fact suck spare the rare occasions he deigns to play hard. Now as his career is about to end he still thinks the world should still overpay him.The guy is a delusional a-hole.  While the ranks of the broadcasters is filled with miscreants and jerks like Abraham, difference is he didn't do a damn thing when the game mattered. Ray Lewis and Michael Irvin are POS, but at least they have rings and can point to days they did something special on the field.

What Abraham did (or really didn't do) that night in Oakland should haunt him. Eff him.

He pussied out of a playoff game for the Jets.He should bear that for the rest of his life.  The rest is details. He does in fact suck spare the rare occasions he deigns to play hard. Now as his career is about to end he still thinks the world should still overpay him.The guy is a delusional a-hole.  While the ranks of the broadcasters is filled with miscreants and jerks like Abraham, difference is he didn't do a damn thing when the game mattered. Ray Lewis and Michael Irvin are POS, but at least they have rings and can point to days they did something special on the field.

What Abraham did (or really didn't do) that night in Oakland should haunt him. Eff him.

Relevance? 

Freeney signed with the Chargers as a FA

Brain-fart.  Sorry!  :)

Still, I'd be curious to see how his contract is structured. I wouldn't be surprised if they can cut him after a year or two, with a minimal cap hit.  He's also a few years younger, so maybe they feel they can get a few years out of him, even as a situational pass rusher.

Playing a position that depends on speed and a quick first step, nobody is giving a 35 year-old a big multi-year contract.

+ 1000

This may be the first time I ever read someone citing Dwight Freeney's play against the run as being an asset. 

Freeney is and always was more 1-dimensional than John Abraham.  Stating otherwise suggests someone has not watched at least one of them play (or even read second-hand accounts from those who have).

Brain-fart.  Sorry!   :)

Still, I'd be curious to see how his contract is structured. I wouldn't be surprised if they can cut him after a year or two, with a minimal cap hit.  He's also a few years younger, so maybe they feel they can get a few years out of him, even as a situational pass rusher.

Playing a position that depends on speed and a quick first step, nobody is giving a 35 year-old a big multi-year contract.

It's only a 2 year contract.    You made me curious so I went to Jason's site.  Seems as if, for some reason they cut him this year, it creates $4,750,000 in dead money.  If they cut him before next season, it creates $1,625,000 in dead money.

Not bad guaranteed money for and old guy on a 2 year contract.  I'm surprised.  Maybe Abraham can get more money then I thought

It's only a 2 year contract.    You made me curious so I went to Jason's site.  Seems as if, for some reason they cut him this year, it creates $4,750,000 in dead money.  If they cut him before next season, it creates $1,625,000 in dead money.

Not bad guaranteed money for and old guy on a 2 year contract.  I'm surprised.  Maybe Abraham can get more money then I thought

Even if he can't, there is a reason for him to hold out for it. 

Why would we sign an aging player in a rebuilding year?

Oh and F*ck you Abraham you f*cking quitter.....

Why would they sign, Peterman 31, Garay 33, Landry 31, or Pace 32 ?  Maybe they would like to win some games?

Why would they sign, Peterman 31, Garay 33, Landry 31, or Pace 32 ?  Maybe they would like to win some games?

Those guys are placeholders in case drafted rookies (& an experiment moving Q to OLB) don't pan out.  They can start but are also cheap enough to stash on the bench (without cutting) if the younger guys pan out early. 

Abraham isn't going to sign with a rebuilding team with no chance, who wants to pay him the vet minimum.  He'd be better served sitting at home and/or waiting for a pass rusher on a contending team to get hurt.

Those guys are placeholders in case drafted rookies (& an experiment moving Q to OLB) don't pan out.  They can start but are also cheap enough to stash on the bench (without cutting) if the younger guys pan out early. 

Abraham isn't going to sign with a rebuilding team with no chance, who wants to pay him the vet minimum.  He'd be better served sitting at home and/or waiting for a pass rusher on a contending team to get hurt.

Spermie-

You are correct. I watched the Falcons enough to see Abraham was basically a pass rusher and little else. I have a bias about how he left this team and how he played here. Honestly cannot say I saw much fo Freeney sapre the jets game. In fairness Abraham had 10 sacks, 33 tackles in 16 games to Freeney's 5 sacks and  10 tackles in 14 games.

Probably true; he won't go through training camp because there's no game check there. Instead he will wait and see if some promising team will prorate him a nice contract for 12-10 games with incentives to be a pass rusher.

Archived