Another excellent but different view of Day 2 practice

eboozer

http://thejetsblog.com/

I am amped about this team....they're young, they've got 2 excellent coordinators on either side of the ball and they're pissed!!! :character0036:

Jets players practiced on the grass in shorts and shells with the practice running from 10AM to about 12:15PM.  Here’s some reactions to what we saw from the team today.

- Rex was heavily involved with the Jets defensive line today (as usual) and set up and explained the installation for the day which revolved around the nickel package.  With some fluctuation in the secondary right now between the absence of Milliner and the injury to Aaron Berry, players like Royce Adams and others who might not be in the nickel package saw time on the field during the installation.

- The overall athleticism of the defensive line is scary good.  While we understand why the Sheldon Richardson move might have taken some people by surprise on Draft night, the flexibility and opportunity to use such an impressive group of athletes in a myriad of ways is going to be very fun to watch this fall.

- The offense looked a little disconnected in the individual drills with more than one player dropping a pass or making a mental lapse.  Even so, the offense looked to be doing a much better and more focused job once they got into work with the defense.  Rex threw a number of blitzes at the offense early, but on the whole they looked crisp, took advantage of what the defense gave them and broke a few plays deep.

- Kind of an esoteric note, but one of the things that I noticed in the past two days more than any other time is how drills flow into one another, like streams into a larger river.  Gunners and blockers working on the sideline practice independent from the special teams line work on snaps and protection and then eventually the two are merged together.  Quarterbacks toss the ball while receivers work on their route tree in seperate and then are paired together to work on passing routes and then quarterbacks get four options to throw to, all running different routes before joining up with the offensive line and running backs who were working on runs and run blocking.

- For all the problems of Brian Schottenheimer and his offense, one of the things that the addition of Mornhinweg seems to have brought back is a coach who understands the importance of using short, medium and long routes in the passing game.  The difference, even in just a few days of camp is that Mornhinweg actually knows how to implement it properly to give his quarterbacks and receivers the chance to make plays.  Mornhinweg is also using a lot of moving pocket and rollouts for his quarterbacks, which is important for a group which doesn’t have the same height that other passers around the league does and leads to batted passes, etc.

Player Notes

- Smith ran a quarterback option where he kept the football and streaked up the sideline into the end zone on a long run.  Yesterday Quinton Coples prevented Smith from breaking the contain on a similar play, but I didn’t see Coples on the field, or at least on that side of the field on that play today.

- Smith is clearly a work in progress. He’s still getting comfortable with his footwork dropping back from under center. It tends to affect his ball placement, which was an issue at times again Saturday. It’s not worth getting really upset over, but it’s something that could hinder his ability to play — and play well — right away.

- Cromartie got into a little scuffle with WR VIdal Hazleton.  I was on the opposite field watching the offensive and defensive lines at the time, but as I understand it, Cro might have been a little chippy on the play (in character with his up tempo camp) and Hazleton might have made a comment.  There was a brief pause before Cro got up and launched himself at Hazleton.  As a note, Rex praised Hazleton for his WR play today, which had nothing to do with the fight.

- As I noted above the receivers looked a little rough early on in individual drills, but on the whole it’s hard to not like the promise of the group despite the problems.  Braylon has stabilitized the group, Kerley is doing what he always does and will have some more players around him to help out.  Hill … Once past the third man, Clyde Gates is surprising most people at camp and is shedding the “track star” label he came into the team with.  Zach Rogers and Spadola both look crisp.

- Antonio Allen had a nice interception on an overthrown Mark Sanchez pass to Stephen Hill downfield. He showed his promise as a safety and even drew some positive reviews from Rex in his post-practice news conference. The safety spot opposite Dawan Landry appears to be completely open for the time being, with Allen, Josh Bush and even Jaiquawn Jarrett in the running for the spot.

- RB John Griffin did have another unnecessary open drop, but he did have some excellent plays. Griffin’s shot at making the final 53-man roster is strongly connected to whether Mike Goodson shows up at all. If Goodson doesn’t show, Griffin could eke out a spot as the fourth running back. At the very least, Griffin appears to be positioning himself for some meaningful snaps in the preseason.

- Bilal Powell is not Chris Ivory. He’s not going to steal any headlines or wow anyone with his speed or agility. He is, however, a consistent contributor in all facets. He’s a good blocker, has solid hands and can read the holes the offensive line creates for him. At the very least, he’s a solid backup and could be a good platoon partner for Ivory, especially as a third-down back.

- In the, “I can’t believe it took them this long to talk about the kickers” department, Nick Folk and Billy Cundiff had a bit of a kick-off to close out practice today. Folks was 3 for 4 while Cundiff hit 2 of 4 field goals. It would be a big surprise if Cundiff unseated Folk this summer.

Inserted from <http://thejetsblog.com/>

helmet-450x275.jpg

thats funny cause I herd Geno is doing things better than sanchez

According to KRL Sanchez has been more consistent(completing more passes, but Geno despite lower completion % is hitting more "BIG" plays than Sanchez. Depends on what your looking for. Remember, MM did say you didn't have to be an overly accurate passer in his system.

Smith is clearly a work in progress. He’s still getting comfortable with his footwork dropping back from under center. It tends to affect his ball placement, which was an issue at times again Saturday. It’s not worth getting really upset over, but it’s something that could hinder his ability to play — and play well — right away

I think Marty is going to resurrect the career of Mark Sanchez.

**pause for the collective groan**

Shotty was too creative with his pre-snap motions.  As a rookie, Mark had to coordinate moving pieces, analyze the defense, move them back, analyze the defense, then snap the ball only to have multiple receivers running into the same zone.  It was a passing system destined for failure, and Mark's turnovers reflected this.

Sporano based his offense off the principle of simplicity...at the time, a welcomed change from Shotty's complex and ineffective system.  Tony wanted to have a smaller collection of plays that could be executed to perfection.  Unfortunately, injuries and execution met at a horrible cross-road.

Enter Mornhinweg.  Sanchez throws better on the run--so he's implementing designed roll outs, and moving pockets.  hmmm.  He's designing multi-level receiver routes, so WRs are occupying different zones and not attracting multiple defenders into the same area.  From Braylon's video diary, it seems he's allowing his WRs more flexibility to work their route--it's a timing based pattern not a precision route.  This should help the smaller guys who struggle with press coverage do whatever they have to do to get off the line, and still be an effective option.

like it or not, Mark Sanchez and his awesome headband are going to do things.  Big things, this year.     

Shotty was too creative with his pre-snap motions.  As a rookie, Mark had to coordinate moving pieces, analyze the defense, move them back, analyze the defense, then snap the ball only to have multiple receivers running into the same zone.  It was a passing system destined for failure, and Mark's turnovers reflected this.

Sporano based his offense off the principle of simplicity...at the time, a welcomed change from Shotty's complex and ineffective system.  Tony wanted to have a smaller collection of plays that could be executed to perfection.  Unfortunately, injuries and execution met at a horrible cross-road.

Enter Mornhinweg.  Sanchez throws better on the run--so he's implementing designed roll outs, and moving pockets.  hmmm.  He's designing multi-level receiver routes, so WRs are occupying different zones and not attracting multiple defenders into the same area.  From Braylon's video diary, it seems he's allowing his WRs more flexibility to work their route--it's a timing based pattern not a precision route.  This should help the smaller guys who struggle with press coverage do whatever they have to do to get off the line, and still be an effective option.

like it or not, Mark Sanchez and his awesome headband are going to do things.  Big things, this year.     

The Jets quickest path to winning is having this happen.  I am open to the idea but my concern is if Sanchez can ever be accurate enough to be really good.

I know he will work hard enough.

I feel like they will get more talent around him.

They should be able to improve the running game with Ivory.

Morhinweg is a big improvement as offensive coordinator.

But can Mark be accurate to the point where he is hitting people on quick slants totally in stride and letting them get actual yards after the catch?  I hope so, but we shall see.

Sanchez sucks. Did you actually watch him the last two years? He is the worst starting QB in the NFL. And the WC is not a fit for him, so not sure why you would think he plays well. He should just be cut to be honest once he loses the QB competition.

I'd like to see Mark do an Alex Smith, where he plays some plays well but Smith takes over later. Then some desperate fool actually gives us a Draft pick for him next year.

well he did good moving and passing if they can move to that again he could do ok,we can only hope

I am absolutely terrified of wanting this to be true.

Sanchez was burned worse then any player i have ever seen roasted by the media 2011 & 2012 .. Alex Smith was bad but at least it wasnt THAT noticeable. Teams will look like a disgrace trading for Sanchez even if he throws for 62 Touchdowns and 95% completion rate

Might be dumbest point ever, Sanchez throws for 62 TDs and 95% every team in the NFL would want to trade for him.

Sanchez sucks. Did you actually watch him the last two years? He is the worst starting QB in the NFL. And the WC is not a fit for him, so not sure why you would think he plays well. He should just be cut to be honest once he loses the QB competition.

I'm really tired of being a Mark Sanchez apologist. 

Is Mark an "elite" QB? No.  But I believe he has the skill-set to be a middling QB in this league (11-20), which, given the structure of this team is good enough.

Last year, Mark was playing with guys on Sunday that had been signed to the team on Friday.  He ran an offense that was predicated on precise routes and timing, with players off the practice squad.  Last year, Mark would get yanked mid-series for a Tebow run.  Even then, we weren't out of the playoff picture until late late in the season.  Has he had his share of bone-headed plays he wish he could have back? sure.  But he's not the (sole) reason we lost last year. 

Is Mark an "elite" QB? No.  But I believe he has the skill-set to be a middling QB in this league (11-20), which, given the structure of this team is good enough.

Last year, Mark was playing with guys on Sunday that had been signed to the team on Friday.  He ran an offense that was predicated on precise routes and timing, with players off the practice squad.  Last year, Mark would get yanked mid-series for a Tebow run.  Even then, we weren't out of the playoff picture until late late in the season.  Has he had his share of bone-headed plays he wish he could have back? sure.  But he's not the (sole) reason we lost last year. 

Nonsense. Mark has the talent to be exactly what he is, a backup in the NFL. Did you ever really consider that the appearance of the lack of weapons is because Sanchez is simply not good enough to make them weapons? Cause it's true. He is the worst starting QB in the NFL. Two years of history shows that. You need to stop being an apologist because he deserves the criticism he gets

Is Mark an "elite" QB? No. But I believe he has the skill-set to be a middling QB in this league *****(( 18 - 28 ))*****, which, given the structure of this team is good enough.

Last year, Mark was playing with guys on Sunday that had been signed to the team on Friday. He ran an offense that was predicated on precise routes and timing, with players off the practice squad. Last year, Mark would get yanked mid-series for a Tebow run. Even then, we weren't out of the playoff picture until late late in the season. Has he had his share of bone-headed plays he wish he could have back? sure. But he's not the (sole) reason we lost last year.

Lol...fixed!

Nonsense. Mark has the talent to be exactly what he is, a backup in the NFL. Did you ever really consider that the appearance of the lack of weapons is because Sanchez is simply not good enough to make them weapons? Cause it's true. He is the worst starting QB in the NFL. Two years of history shows that. You need to stop being an apologist because he deserves the criticism he gets

Dude. Mardy Gilyard, Jason Hill.

Archived