8/1 Practice Tweets / Camp News

ZachEY

Since no one started it...

Former ST coach Mike Westhoff, an @espnradio analyst this fall, visiting camp for a couple of days. #Jets

Ivory is on the bike to start practice #NYJ

WR Titus Ryan, who has flashed at times, not practicing today. #Jets

DL Sheldon Richardson, WR Marcus Davis, WR Titus Ryan all off to the side with trainers along with Ivory #NYJ

WR Jordan White has joined the injured group #NYJ

Stephen Peterman not doing o line drills. Rex said he has a shoulder injury. Winters should get first team reps #NYJ

Ivory is doing some pass catching drills #NYJ

Cromartie spending a lot of time with Milliner during walk-through, coaching him up. #Jets

Winters is at LG with first team #NYJ

First team drill: All running plays. Ground & Pound. #Jets

The defense is getting the best of the offense in running drills #NYJ

Nice PD from Demario Davis on a Sanchez pass intended for Cumberland in team. 6 comes back and hits Gates up the sideline.

Winslow just took off his shoulder pads and left the field #NYJ

Milliner playing with first team D in team drills. #Jets

Two-minute work late in practice. Milliner getting some reps here.

Spadola dives to catch a 50 yard pass from Geno. Beautiful play #NYJ

Play of the Day: Geno eludes rush, steps up and heaves 50-yard completion to diving Ryan Spadola, who beat Ellis Lankster. #nyj

Aug 1st, 2013 at 12:40 pm by Alan SchechterJets

Home » Jets » Thoughts and Observations from Jets’ Training Camp 8/1/13

Let’s get right to the report from a rainy morning out in Cortland, NY:

Richardson, Ivory and Winslow on Bike: Both of these guys, who are important to the Jets’ success, spent time on the bike today. Don’t worry though, Shelon was on the bike due to his dental problem, and Ivory did some drills early. Kellen Winslow was set to be on a pitch-count during camp, so that is all this was.

Geno to Spadola: Geno Smith continues to show excellent poise as he fights for the starting job. During two-minute drills, Geno sidestepped the rush, and hit Ryan Spadola with a 50 yard bomb. Spadola made an excellent diving catch on the back-end of the play. New connection for Geno?

Mark outplays Geno: Although Geno didn’t play badly, most accounts of today’s events indicated that Mark outplayed Geno, especially late in the practice. Mark threw 2 TD’s late in 2 minute drills, while Geno still struggled. As I have said before, not looking at stats, trying to focus on the overall.

Defensive Line Beats Offensive Line:Word from Cortland is that the offensive line did not look good today. It’s not surprising, we know how good the defensive line is, maybe the best unit on the team. However, it is just worth noting that the offensive line struggled. Mo Wilkerson looked particularly good, taking a lineman right back into Mark’s face for a sack on one particular pass rush.

Milliner Fully Involved: Here is some great news, Jets fans. Dee Milliner was involved in basically the entire practice. He even ran with the first string during team drills. How great a sign is that? Maybe he will be ready to make an impact faster than we thought. We can only hope. He was also quite coached up by Antonio Cromartie, which I particularly love to hear. His maturity is something that will not show up in a boxscore, but it will show up in everyone’s play.

it's notable that the offensive line is struggling... without Peterman? maybe WInters really isn't ready. 

I'm on the Ryan Spadola train. CHOO CHOO

With three new players circulating between two spots on the offensive line in the first week of camp, is it that unreasonable to expect some/a decent amount of struggling?  It's notoriously a unit that takes a while to gel, as you know, so I don't think it's anything that shouldn't be expected at this point.  Is it something you want to hear? No, but given where we are in camp, I don't think it's a death-sentence either.

it's notable that the offensive line is struggling... without Peterman? maybe WInters really isn't ready. 

I'm on the Ryan Spadola train. CHOO CHOO

IMO there's nothing surprising about the OL struggling.  At this point in TC defenses often (usually?) are ahead of offenses, particularly when there are new players on the OL, and one of them is a rookie.  The Jets do appear to have one of the best DLs in the game as well, so it's not too surprising to hear that the OL struggled yesterday.  I've actually been very encouraged that they've done as well as they have so far.

According to reports, Spadola is looking pretty good.  I look forward to seeing him and the other young WRs.

Archived