The Running Backs (MERGED)

joewilly12

Do they have an injury history? Do they carry weapons and drugs with them while trying to pick up a prostitute? Is so, yes Idzik and the Jets will be interested and calling soon.

The Jets needed a RB before last nights game even began.

Everyone is caught up the QB wash meanwhile we have an urgent need for a RB. The injury to John Griffin doesn't look good. Is it time to add a McGahee or a Benson? 

Doesn't look good? I read he fractured his leg. I think he's out for the year. 

In another thread I brought up that we will have access to more players as they get cut during roster shaving (august 27th). In particular I noticed that GB has quite the stable.  DuJaun Harris is listed as their starter but James Starks got the nod last night. Eddie Lacy and Jonathan Franklin aren't going anywhere based on their recent draft status, and Alex Green finished out the game for them last night.  Any one of them would be an upgrade over Powell

Too many inside handoffs/read option stuff. Let Powell get at least 10 carries from the eye and see what he has. Lions have speed up front...didn't understand the run calls.

The line isn't in great shape right now either.  I don't think Petermann is very good and Howard looks rusty.  I think that the latter will improve over the course of preseason.  It would be nice if Winters could win the LG spot.

Too many inside handoffs/read option stuff. Let Powell get at least 10 carries from the eye and see what he has. Lions have speed up front...didn't understand the run calls.

i dont know why everyone on this board loves powell

but hey i was probably wrong too i thought mcknight was gonna be better

who do you guys think will make the team at RB?

Chris Ivory, Mike Goodson did not play last night

24 got hurt last night

are we really going to go into the season with Powell and Madu?

is there anyone on the WW

First off let me say that I voted for you.  But have since thrown my support behind gAYno.  I don't like him as a person, but he makes for a good Captain. 

That being said,  Ivory, Goodson, and McKnight were no-shows...so we got really good exposure to the back end of our RB stable.  

Powell had one nice play, which averaged out his horrible ones. He finished with 9 carries for 14 yards, (1.36 ypc).  He was catching the ball well, but doesn't have the quick-twitch to make the first defender miss, so passes completed to him were like throwing to a statue.

Spann showed some nice power and wiggle.  Madu was nothing special.  Griffin fractured his leg.

I would expect us to scour every corner of the earth to find some more competition to bring to the position.   

i dont know why everyone on this board loves powell

but hey i was probably wrong too i thought mcknight was gonna be better

I'm not sure I particularly agree with this assessment, especially considering there's also a pretty decent contingent around here who clearly despise Powell as a player.  While there are of course exceptions to every rule, I really don't think most of Powell's supporters particularly love him either.  If anything, I think most who support Powell simply think he has the ability to be a solid player for the Jets who should certainly be no worse than Greene was for them these last couple of years.  Granted, that's not particularly high standards, but I think it's more a matter of disagreeing with those who seem to ignore just how bad Greene was last year when expressing their belief that the Jets are doomed to be immeasurably worse at the RB position.

I'm not sure I particularly agree with this assessment, especially considering there's also a pretty decent contingent around here who clearly despise Powell as a player.  While there are of course exceptions to every rule, I really don't think most of Powell's supporters particularly love him either.  If anything, I think most who support Powell simply think he has the ability to be a solid player for the Jets who should certainly be no worse than Greene was for them these last couple of years.  Granted, that's not particularly high standards, but I think it's more a matter of disagreeing with those who seem to ignore just how bad Greene was last year when expressing their belief that the Jets are doomed to be immeasurably worse at the RB position.

a lot of people on the board are using the tebow argument on powell

hey lets give him a shot we dont know if hes good. throw him a bunch of carries see what he can do. He could be solid if given the chance.

Atleast with tebow he did something good in the nfl powell has never done anything so i guess i just dont see the upside

hey lets give him a shot we dont know if hes good. throw him a bunch of carries see what he can do. He could be solid if given the chance.

Atleast with tebow he did something good in the nfl powell has never done anything so i guess i just dont see the upside

He ran for 14 yards on 9 carries (1.55 ypc) and caught 2 passes for 1 yard.  Averaging 1.36 yards per touch

He did better than Greene last year when given the opportunity.  Again, it's not that he's anything spectacular, but there's a pretty big gap between being spectacular and being completely incapable of contributing anything at all (which he already proved wasn't true last season).  I'm really not sure how there's any possible relevancy in a comparison to Tebow, especially considering he had already proven himself to be the single worst QB in all of the NFL.  Not to mention, I'm not sure how you can ever compare a QB to a RB in any way given the former position is all about one player while the latter quite frequently sees teams use a variety of players with varying skillsets for different purposes.  Powell may not be capable of carrying the load as a full-time lead back, I really don't know, but he's already shown he can contribute at least part time.

He did better than Greene last year when given the opportunity.  Again, it's not that he's anything spectacular, but there's a pretty big gap between being spectacular and being completely incapable of contributing anything at all (which he already proved wasn't true last season).  I'm really not sure how there's any possible relevancy in a comparison to Tebow, especially considering he had already proven himself to be the single worst QB in all of the NFL.  Not to mention, I'm not sure how you can ever compare a QB to a RB in any way given the former position is all about one player while the latter quite frequently sees teams use a variety of players with varying skillsets for different purposes.  Powell may not be capable of carrying the load as a full-time lead back, I really don't know, but he's already shown he can contribute at least part time.

Slippery statement. If you care to take a look at the statistics, you'll find Greene outperformed Bilal quite often last season.

Your idea of doing better than Greene is Powell rushing for 33 yds against PItt when Greene rushed for 23 yards, Powell rushing for 45 yards against Miami when Greene rushed for 40, Powell rushing for 78 yards against the Jags when Greene rushed for 77. All other games, Greene outperformed Powell. 

And for the life of me I have no idea why I waded back into the waters of trying show you Powell isn't who you think he is. 

who do you guys think will make the team at RB?

Chris Ivory, Mike Goodson did not play last night

24 got hurt last night

are we really going to go into the season with Powell and Madu?

is there anyone on the WW

No.  Ivory will be here, and quite likely, Goodson too.  I hope the Jets don't panic and sign Benson or McGahee.  There will be some cheap, good and possibly younger RBs available as camp cuts if need be.

No.  Ivory will be here, and quite likely, Goodson too.  I hope the Jets don't panic and sign Benson or McGahee.  There will be some cheap, good and possibly younger RBs available as camp cuts if need be.

Cheap young and unproven. We need a vet RB who can come in and fill the gap until one of our guys steps up.

This is what i don't get.  Since when did Ivory and Goodson become good enough players to warrant sitting out a few games?  Nobody knows if either of those guys can play and play well.  And nobody knows if they can be the full time starter.  And really who knows about Goodson.   The guy might be MIA for a long time. We have no clue.  And the concern bout Ivory is injuries. So wow, the guy isn't healthy enough to practice or play in the first preseason game... That is a problem.

The problem with the preseason is that the first two games are really the only two games the starters play much.  The last two are really a waste of time. So if Ivory and/or Goodson don't wind up playing until Game 4 against 4th stringers who might not even be in the NFL,  it's not really saying much.  

The biggest worry to me is injury for Ivory.  The fact he's already injured before the season even starts is a huge huge concern. Sitting a guy like Stephen Jackson is one thing, sitting Ivory as a precaution, thats a concern.

Cheap young and unproven. We need a vet RB who can come in and fill the gap until one of our guys steps up.

A veteran would be fine, but as long as whoever it is is as good or better than whom the Jets have at the moment, it doesn't really matter, does it?  A veteran would just ease everyone's anxiety level.  It doesn't necessarily mean that he'd be any better than a younger, unproven player.  This team is not going to the playoffs.  Everyone needs to accept that and deal with it.  The worst possible thing Idzik could do is panic and start trading away draft picks or signing big multi-year contracts to older vets trying to make the playoffs this year.

I'm looking to see the younger players the Jets have get a chance to develop and the team to show improvement this season.  If that happens, I don't care if they finish 0-16.  Giving the young players a chance to develop, and letting Idzik know who can help the team going forward and who can't is more important than bringing in a bunch of vets to help the team have a better record this year, and those guys probably not being with the team going forward, and Idzik still having no clue what the young players can do.  This team is building or should be building for 2014 or 2015, not 2013.

This is what i don't get.  Since when did Ivory and Goodson become good enough players to warrant sitting out a few games?  Nobody knows if either of those guys can play and play well.  And nobody knows if they can be the full time starter.  And really who knows about Goodson.   The guy might be MIA for a long time. We have no clue.  And the concern bout Ivory is injuries. So wow, the guy isn't healthy enough to practice or play in the first preseason game... That is a problem.

The problem with the preseason is that the first two games are really the only two games the starters play much.  The last two are really a waste of time. So if Ivory and/or Goodson don't wind up playing until Game 4 against 4th stringers who might not even be in the NFL,  it's not really saying much.  

The biggest worry to me is injury for Ivory.  The fact he's already injured before the season even starts is a huge huge concern. Sitting a guy like Stephen Jackson is one thing, sitting Ivory as a precaution, thats a concern.

No, this is incorrect.  The starters generally get the most time in pre-season game 3. USUALLY, starters' playing time goes as follows:

Game 3 = most (about half the game and sometimes into the 3rd quarter)

Game 2 = second-most (through the first quarter, depending on how the game goes)

Game 1 = third-most (usually 1-2 series, depending the player)

Game 4 = least (often the starters don't see the field at all nowadays)

I'll have more concern about our two veteran-acquisition RBs if they miss a lot of time in the regular season.  Missing the first pre-season game is certainly not ideal, but it's not going to make one bit of difference as to his success or failure this season.  

Regarding Ivory, he was healthy enough to play as I recall.  The issue was that he'd missed too many practices to throw him in there ahead of guys who had been practicing (and frankly, who they needed to get better looks at for final-53 reasons).  Barring some setback this week, he will be starting week 2. 

Sure those things are a concern, but what good does it do to obsess over them?  It is what it is.  Both are experienced veterans.  Neither is good enough that they could just skip games, but if they were here and healthy, would have played.  

If Ivory stays hurt and Goodson never shows up, or does and flops, then we'll know that Idzik screwed the pooch. Until then, it's still very early.  The team knows what Ivory and Goodson can do on the football field.  The main reason they need to be here is to learn the offense and develop timing and chemistry with their teammates.  Hopefully, Ivory will be able to stay healthy going forward.  Hopefully, Goodson will be here by the time the season starts.  It may take him 2-3 weeks to round into playing shape and learn the offense, but if he is in rehab, he may be learning the offense already, and just need to get into playing shape.  I'm sure that if the Jets aren't still counting on Goodson, Idzik will sign a camp cut if Spann or Madu don't show enough.

I don't think they were really planning on any one of the RBs winning the competition.  I think they had planned all along to make it a running back by committee.  I think if Ivory gets and stays healthy, he'll probably get the lion's share of the carries, but that Goodson and Powell will see a lot of time on the field as well.  If the trio of Ivory, Goodson and Powell rush for between 1,300 and 1,800 yards this season, scored in the neighborhood of 10-20 TD, then all the worry will have been for nothing.  If they don't do half that well, then our worrying won't have changed anything for the better.

I'm not panicking because I don't have high expectations for the team this season, so I don't think that they should be out there panicking, wheeling and dealing and trying to bring in a bunch of high-priced vets.  Let the kids play and develop, find out who can help you going forward and who can't, save as much cap space as you can for next year, do as well as you can this season and move on.

A veteran would be fine, but as long as whoever it is is as good or better than whom the Jets have at the moment, it doesn't really matter, does it?  A veteran would just ease everyone's anxiety level.  It doesn't necessarily mean that he'd be any better than a younger, unproven player.  This team is not going to the playoffs.  Everyone needs to accept that and deal with it.  The worst possible thing Idzik could do is panic and start trading away draft picks or signing big multi-year contracts to older vets trying to make the playoffs this year.

I'm looking to see the younger players the Jets have get a chance to develop and the team to show improvement this season.  If that happens, I don't care if they finish 0-16.  Giving the young players a chance to develop, and letting Idzik know who can help the team going forward and who can't is more important than bringing in a bunch of vets to help the team have a better record this year, and those guys probably not being with the team going forward, and Idzik still having no clue what the young players can do.  This team is building or should be building for 2014 or 2015, not 2013.

Bingo.

A lot of people (not necessarily who you're quoting) are writing a lot of ridiculous things about what we need and who we needed to draft, for the 2013 season.  

Bit writes that we should have drafted this or that guy because he'd have been more useful this year.  ("Winters, Cambell and Oday don't help this team right now.").  I mean, first of all nevermind the mindset that it takes to rip apart 3rd round and later picks because they aren't instantly useful; particularly from someone who prides himself on being a draft guru who knows the likelihood of a random 3rd-6th round player being good are under 50/50.  This is precisely the one year in the last 15-ish that I am LEAST concerned about getting instant dividends from a draftee.  

Even still, only a fool would draft chiefly with the present season in mind when we had about 20 holes to fill (when you include the depth).  The same people who killed the Jets for not having enough depth now are killing them when they do draft depth.  You draft for need when you're down to your last 5 holes to fill and someone unique is available.  Either that OR you can weigh certain positions more or less heavily as the draft gets into its later rounds.  Frankly the only position we drafted at a position of "not-need" was Richardson, and you don't pass up on him because you think you might already be deep enough at the position for this coming season.  Wouldn't have been my pick, but I'm not the draftnik others are and I didn't know much about him.  All I remember seeing was "Jets draft DT ..." and I stopped listening at the time.

But he has his reasons.  He is still pissed off the Jets didn't draft Warmack at #9 and that they didn't bring back Brandon Moore for another new contract, so he'll have it in for any guard the Jets draft or acquire.  We took 2 guards and picked up 2 more in FA.  One (Winters) is expected to be a starter this season at some point, and the other (Aboushi) is a little raw but hopefully improves or shows enough to allow us to use him the full season next year.  In case either or both are unready this year we have Colon and Peterman as stop-gaps.  Ideally, neither will be needed next season.  In the worst-case situation, we use both this year and find a replacement for one of them next year (when Winters will surely be starting).

There was more invested in these RBs, but Ivory is the only one with a little more invested in him (and it still isn't THAT much).  He'll be on the team for this year and next year, with under a $2M cap charge both seasons.  That is backup money.  And he cost a 4th round pick, which typically yields a backup player for 3-4 years, assuming they even last that long.  Goodson cost a couple of dollars this year (cap charge $1.3M) and is very cuttable next season if he's so awful that he isn't worth the $2M cap charge.  It's not like Marshawn Lynch was an available FA looking for backup money like each of these guys got.  COMBINED they carry cap charges of $2.8M this year and $3.8M next year.  To illustrate the kind of mess did Idzik walk into, the dead cap money next year for cutting Sanchez will be almost as much as the cap charges for both of these guys for 2 seasons. 

I'm not holding my breath that he's going to make a pro bowl this year (or ever), but so far Hill has looked very good.  If it took a horrid rookie season, then a somewhat-decent second season for the guy to turn into an above-average WR, that's fine by me.  Particularly since we knew he was supposed to be so raw to begin with.  Meanwhile everyone was killing the guy as though he was the worst draft pick any team has ever made.  The shame of the pick was throwing him in as the starter in week 1 (or any week for that matter) as a rookie.  But he was a high-upside pick with crazy size & speed as well as a mindset that allows him to block for others (unlike the Holmes-type personality where every play that isn't designed for him is a stupid one and should be taken off).  But the early "bust draft pick" comments with Hill were exactly the same as the "bust pickups" comments after 1 pre-season game where neither of these 2 new RBs were even on the field.

If Goodson plays week 1 and stays on the field for the season I won't give a crap if he was in rehab for a month this summer and neither will any of the people giving Idzik a hard time about him now.  Same goes for Ivory.

If they pan out, we got 2 guys who will play for backup RB money for 3 years apiece.  If they're both terrible, then the worst of it is we'll keep Ivory for 1 more year (plus the draft pick we didn't make), and have a half-million cap charge for cutting Goodson after 1 season. I've seen worse. 

Archived