Early, but say Rex is canned. Then who?

Lizard King

I'd like to see Jon Gruden come out of retirement, but T0m has been floating the Seattle OC, Darrell Bevell.  Given the latter's Idzik connect, I could see that being a real possibility, but I like the splash Gruden would bring, and I'm guessing Woody would go for that.  Cowher is another possibility given his namesake. 

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darrell_Bevell

Darrell Bevell

Career history

As coach:

Westmar University (1996)

(Passing game coordinator/Quarterbacks coach)

Iowa State University (1997)

(Graduate assistant)

University of Connecticut (1998–1999)

(Wide receivers coach)

Green Bay Packers (2000–2005)

Offensive assistant (2000-2002)

Quarterbacks coach (2003-2005)

Minnesota Vikings (2006–2010)

(Offensive coordinator

Seattle Seahawks (2011–present)

(Offensive coordinator)

Darrell Bevell (born January 6, 1970) is an American football coach and former player. He is currently the offensive coordinator for the Seattle Seahawks of the National Football League (NFL), a position he has held since the 2011 season. Bevell played collegiately at the University of Wisconsin–Madison, where he was a four-year starting quarterback.

After graduating from Chaparral High School in Scottsdale, Arizona, Bevell redshirted as a freshman quarterback at Northern Arizona University. At the time, Brad Childress was NAU's offensive coordinator. Bevell then embarked on a two-year LDS mission to Cleveland, Ohio. Bevell received scholarship offers from NAU and Utah, but he decided to join Barry Alvarez at Wisconsin.

Wisconsin's football program had struggled for many years, but Bevell was named starting quarterback in 1993 and he promptly led the team to a surprising "Cinderella" season. The 1993 Badgers finished the year with a 10–1–1 record, becoming co-champions of the Big Ten and securing the school's first Rose Bowl invitation since 1963. They ended the season by defeating UCLA Bruins 21–16 in the 1994 Rose Bowl. It was the school's first-ever Rose Bowl victory. In the fourth quarter of that game, with Wisconsin clinging to a 14–10 lead, Bevell made the most memorable play of his college career. Not known for his running ability, Bevell scrambled 21 yards down the left sideline for a touchdown.

The following season, Bevell again guided the Badgers to a winning season. They defeated the Duke Blue Devils 34–20 in the 1995 Hall of Fame Bowl, giving Wisconsin back-to-back bowl wins for the first time ever. Bevell finished his career with several school records, including most passing yards in a single game (423) and in a career (7,686).

After going undrafted in the 1995 NFL Draft,[1] Bevell began a career in coaching, including stints at Westmar University (Le Mars, IA), Iowa State University, and the University of Connecticut.

In 2000, Bevell was hired by the Green Bay Packers as an offensive assistant. In 2003, he was promoted to quarterbacks coach, where he worked with Brett Favre. In 2006, Childress was hired as the head coach of the Minnesota Vikings, and he brought Bevell to his team as offensive coordinator.

I'd like to see Jon Gruden come out of retirement, but T0m has been floating the Seattle OC, Darrell Bevell. Given the latter's Idzik connect, I could see that being a real possibility, but I like the splash Gruden would bring, and I'm guessing Woody would go for that. Cowher is another possibility given his namesake.

Gruden isn't bad, but I am done with flashy. Flashy has brought unending trouble to this team. This fanbase could not handle Cowher -unless Woody had a change of philosophy and became extremely patient and just didn't care. It took him what, 8 years to win a Superbowl? Bevell? Do not know. Russell Wilson and Geno play a different game though.

Wow Tom Shane is influencing posters here- I am constantly amazed.

GM's wanna bring in their own guy, Bevell is getting looks for the offense with Wilson last year. I'm sure as sh*t not giving Pete credit for it. No different then the rumors gamble wanted to bring in the defensive coach from SF with him.

GM's wanna bring in their own guy, Bevell is getting looks for the offense with Wilson last year. I'm sure as sh*t not giving Pete credit for it. No different then the rumors gamble wanted to bring in the defensive coach from SF with him.

The combo we wish we had. Pete does D, leaves the O alone.

http://blogs.seattletimes.com/seahawks/2013/07/27/talking-offense-with-darrell-bevell/

On tailoring the offense to have some different players on the roster now:

“The thing obviously during the off-season we take a long look at what we’ve done and then we added different pieces to the puzzle and different personnel, so we are always trying to tailor the offense to the strengths of those players, so the different types of players we have will enable us to do different things, the subtle changes you are talking about, just to try to accentuate and get the ball to our best players. The good thing is we have a lot of them and there is one ball out there, we’ve got a good problem to get it to all those guys and quarterback Russell (Wilson) is a great guy to be able to do that, to be able to get all those guys the ball.’’

A big NO to flashy.  I want substance, not style. An experienced HC would be great, but then again, not necessarily if it's a retread like Gruden.  

With the offense having been so bad for so long, it's time for the Jets to have an offensive-minded HC.  Rex, Mangini, Herm, Groh, Parcells were all defensive guys.  

Some of the other offensive minds I would have liked were hired by teams last year, so they won't be available.  Bevell sounds like the best candidate at the moment.  Someone said earlier that we needed to bring in another defensive-minded coach so the young talent on the D won't go to waste.  I totally disagree.  That's nonsense imo.  Unless the new HC hires someone totally incompetent as DC, that talent won't go to waste.  Most of the D personnel could play in either a 3-4 or 4-3 D alignment.  The offense needs some serious attention from the CS and from the GM in FA and the draft.

If Rex is indeed fired and a better offensive guy than Bevell surfaces, great, I'll be all for him (as long as he runs the WCO); otherwise, I'm solidly with Tom in Bevell's camp.

I think Tom's probably on point with Bevell. I'm ok with that but Im hoping Geno flashes something down the stretch that can entice somebody more polished

This

I touted this before week 17 last year IF Rex was going to get fired, and would still love this IF Rex indeed gets fired.

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:08 PM

IF the Jets decide to move on from Rex, the new HC HAS to be a offensive minded coach that has a proven track record with offensive success, and also has the ability to design his offense around his talent, and adjust accordingly when that talent changes, none of that this is what I do regardless if it works with what I have, you know trying to put a square peg in a round hole alla Schotty. This HC should be also smart enough to bring along a DC that works well with the talent in place on the Jets, someone who is very familiar with either Rex's system, the Steelers system, Ravens system. W Phillips sytem, the 49ers system, or Capers system.

The first guy that comes to mind that might fit all of this is Darrell Bevell the offensive coordinator over in Seattle, he was also the offensive coordinator for Favre when he was with the Vikings, and QB's coach for Favre, and I believe 1, or 2 years with Rodgers before he was even playing helping coach him up to where he is now. The fact that he has had success with a gunslinging pocket passer, and now a read option QB shows he is willing to adjust his scheme according to his talent, and I think he should get a hard look from a lot of teams this year for a HC job. One problem with him might be trying to get him to bypass the offer he will get from Wisconsin, he was a gradute there, and it is rumored he will be offered the HC job, and will be very content coaching there for the rest of his career if allowed.

Other than Bevell I haven't really looked for other canidates, because I never actually thought Rex would get fired, now I am not so sure.

So from what I am reading here, we will be firing Rex and hiring Bevell.

Does Bevell have good rapport with Idzik? I wonder if Bevell is Idzik's ace up his sleeve, that juicy relationship that gets you the paycheck and the big office. If true, if Bevell is that good, it would be shrewd as **** by Woody and would force me to re-evaluate my opinion of the man.

Tantalizing.

Expect Rex to be all D all year.

So from what I am reading here, we will be firing Rex and hiring Bevell.

Does Bevell have good rapport with Idzik? I wonder if Bevell is Idzik's ace up his sleeve, that juicy relationship that gets you the paycheck and the big office. If true, if Bevell is that good, it would be shrewd as **** by Woody and would force me to re-evaluate my opinion of the man.

Tantalizing.

Expect Rex to be all D all year.

Way too early. If Seattle goes 7-9, no one will want to touch anyone from that team. 7-9, 7-9, 11-5, 7-9 doesnt get me too excited.

Way too early. If Seattle goes 7-9, no one will want to touch anyone from that team. 7-9, 7-9, 11-5, 7-9 doesnt get me too excited.

No russell wilson, no russell wilson, Wilson takes over, who knows?

Kinda under estimating that team imo.

Bevell didn't get to Seattle until 2011.  When he got there he had Tarvaris Jackson and achieved a 7-9 record.  The following year was the Wilson year. 

If you really want to evaluate the guy, he was the OC in Minnesotta from 2006-2010.

2006: 6-10 (w/ Brad Johnson)

2007: 8-8 (w/ Jackson, Holcomb, Bollinger, and Adrian Peterson's rookie campaign)

2008: 10-6 (w/ Jackson and Frerotte...and Adrian Peterson)

2009: 12-4 (w/ Favre...and Adrian Peterson)

2010: 6-10 (w/ Favre, Jackson, and Webb....and Adrian Peterson)

[draw your own conclusions; was he good because of AD, and then hamstrung by a half-retired Brett Favre? Was he the product of the system, or the success behind it? idk.  Lets ask T0m].

No russell wilson, no russell wilson, Wilson takes over, who knows?

Kinda under estimating that team imo.

No Harvin, Rice has knee issues, Lynch is a year older with a running style that could lead to injury. I could be, but I dont think I am. I personally think they are headed for disaster - but that's why they play the games. Easy schedule last year, with lots of breaks. The whole AFC East had to travel there to play, SF had nothing to play for the second game. Lots of little things most don't know about unless they followed them closely.

No Harvin, Rice has knee issues, Lynch is a year older with a running style that could lead to injury. I could be, but I dont think I am. I personally think they are headed for disaster - but that's why they play the games. Easy schedule last year, with lots of breaks. The whole AFC East had to travel there to play, SF had nothing to play for the second game. Lots of little things most don't know about unless they followed them closely.

He had no Harvin last year, Rice's knee issues are not something new, Lynch is a great runner, but that team would be a great running team with, or with out him (Also I love Christine Micheal, think the Hawks got a great player as long as he keeps his off the field sh*t together). R. Wilson, and Bevell's use of him keeps the opposing D's frozen, and with the good O-Line they have the push is there already for any runner to get yards in Bevell's scheme he put together IN THE MIDDLE OF THE SEASON LAST YEAR, Wilson only had 36 rushing att for 128 yards 0 rushing TD's the first 8 weeks, in the final 8 weeks he rushed 58 times, for 361 yards, and 4 TD's, and 15 times for 127 yards, and a TD in 2 playoff games. IMO this shows a change of strategy mid season by the OC adjusting to his talents strengths, not because there was a change with his QB, but because he was learning, and developing his new toy in R. Wilson, (yes of course it helps to have a talent like Wilson, but Favre couldn't run for sh*t, and he put together a dominate offense that year with a completley different skill set QB) and saw what type of offense would be best fitted to succeed, all while still keeping his base fundemental system, sign me up for someone with that type of creativity, and intelect to change on the fly as he sees what his players offer mid season.

He had no Harvin last year, Rice's knee issues are not something new, Lynch is a great runner, but that team would be a great running team with, or with out him (Also I love Christine Micheal, think the Hawks got a great player as long as he keeps his off the field sh*t together). R. Wilson, and Bevell's use of him keeps the opposing D's frozen, and with the good O-Line they have the push is there already for any runner to get yards in Bevell's scheme he put together IN THE MIDDLE OF THE SEASON LAST YEAR, Wilson only had 36 rushing att for 128 yards 0 rushing TD's the first 8 weeks, in the final 8 weeks he rushed 58 times, for 361 yards, and 4 TD's, and 15 times for 127 yards, and a TD in 2 playoff games. IMO this shows a change of strategy mid season by the OC adjusting to his talents strengths, not because there was a change with his QB, but because he was learning, and developing his new toy in R. Wilson, (yes of course it helps to have a talent like Wilson, but Favre couldn't run for sh*t, and he put together a dominate offense that year with a completley different skill set QB) and saw what type of offense would be best fitted to succeed, all while still keeping his base fundemental system, sign me up for someone with that type of creativity, and intelect to change on the fly as he sees what his players offer mid season.

Go through the schedule. The replacement refs gave then the GB game, SF had nothing to play for. They are overrated dude.

Archived