Mornhinweg Alters Jets QB Practice Rotation

flgreen

Marty Mornhinweg decides to alter Jets' quarterback practice rotation

Darryl Slater/The Star-Ledger By  Darryl Slater/The Star-Ledger  

on August 12, 2013 at 3:48 PM, updated August 12, 2013 at 3:51 PM

marty.JPGMarty Mornhinweg is in his first season as the Jets' offensive coordinator. William Perlman/The Star-Ledger

CORTLAND, N.Y. – The Jets have three more practices before training camp ends Thursday, exactly three weeks after it began. They play their second of four preseason games Saturday night at home against Jacksonville. And there is still no resolution to their quarterback competition between Mark Sanchez and rookie Geno Smith, nor an indication from coach Rex Ryan about who will start against the Jaguars.

“We’re just going to let this thing play out, see how we are at the end of the week and then we’ll make that decision (about Saturday’s starter),” Ryan said Monday.

Before Monday, the Jets rotated the quarterbacks so that Sanchez got two days with the first team, and then Smith got two days with the starters. Smith worked with the starters Sunday, but instead of Smith getting a second straight day with that group, Sanchez lined up with the first unit Monday.

Ryan said offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg told him before Sunday’s practice that he wanted to approach the rotation this way for these days.

Both quarterbacks looked sharp in Monday’s team periods. Sanchez completed two of three passes for a touchdown. His incomplete pass was batted down at the line. Smith, still a bit gimpy after rolling his right ankle in Friday’s game at Detroit, completed six of seven passes for a touchdown, and was sacked once.

Sanchez has responded well after throwing an interception that was returned for a touchdown on his first drive at Detroit.

“He’s strung some good days back-to-back-to-back,” Ryan said. “That’s been encouraging.”

** Strange times continued Monday for running back Joe McKnight, who has been arrested for unpaid vehicle tickets and suffered a head injury during training camp. He returned to practice Sunday in a red (non-contact) jersey – his first time practicing at all since Aug. 2. He wore a red jersey again Monday.

McKnight spoke to reporters Sunday and responded “I’m not getting into that right now” to questions about his playing status and arrest. Monday, he stopped thrice to kneel while walking to the field before practice. A trainer approached him and gave him a bottle of water, which McKnight sprayed on his own head.

McKnight went through position drills, but soon thereafter, he fell down without being hit. The trainers helped him off and he did not return. After practice, he sat in a golf cart with trainers, wearing sunglasses. Ryan said McKnight walked through some things after practice with Mornhinweg. Ryan wasn’t sure immediately after practice about McKnight’s status, or what exactly went wrong.

“He would never be out there if the trainers felt that he was at risk – ever,” Ryan said. “For whatever reason he stopped (practicing), that’s fine.”

McKnight ran for six yards per carry last season, but carried just 30 times. Since entering the NFL in 2010, his career high for carries in a season is 43 in 2011, when he ranked second in the league with 31.6 yards per kickoff return. He was seventh last year (27.5).

The Jets are replacing Shonn Greene, but Bilal Powell has impressed in camp and Chris Ivory took contact Monday for the first time in camp. A sore hamstring had nagged Ivory, who expects to play against Jacksonville. Ivory moved well Monday.

“I was encouraged by it, to say the least,” Ryan said, smiling.

So where does McKnight fit in? He is in the final year of a four-year contract. He counts just $755,250 against the Jets’ salary cap this season. The Jets must trim their roster to 75 players by Aug. 27 and to 53 by Aug. 31. Will McKnight make the cut?

“We’ll see how everything plays out,” Ryan said. “There’s still a long way to go before we make the final decisions. He has plenty of talent, but there is a concern about durability. Durability is a big thing in this league. Has Joe had his moments here? Absolutely, he has. But right now, we’ve just got to get him healthy.”

McKnight declined to speak with reporters Monday.

** Wide receiver Clyde Gates suffered a head injury Sunday and didn’t practice Monday. … Tight end Kellen Winslow got a scheduled day off Sunday and returned Monday. … Cornerback Antonio Cromartie, one of the team’s best players, banged his left elbow on a teammate during team period – a scary moment for the Jets. He met with trainers, but returned to finish practice, which Ryan called “a good sign.” … Ryan said safety Jaiquawn Jarrett, now practicing with the first team, will start against the Jaguars, after Antonio Allen started against Detroit. That position battle isn’t resolved yet. … Ryan was asked about a report in which West Virginia players criticized the leadership on last year’s team, but didn’t mention any names of poor leaders. Smith was West Virginia’s star last year. Does the report give Ryan any pause about Smith? “No, but it tells me I’m glad my kid never went there (to West Virginia),” Ryan said. “I can tell you that much. I don’t get that. Geno was a tremendous player for West Virginia.”

Their talking about it being migraines.   Thought there was some kind of med for that

I hope it is migraines, but I remember when TD got them in the superbowl and was basically blind ?

I hope its not a concussion, because if it is that sounds like a bad one

I hope it is migraines, but I remember when TD got them in the superbowl and was basically blind ?

I hope its not a concussion, because if it is that sounds like a bad one

I doubt it's a concussion.  The team and Rex are just playing to cute for that.  In Rex's presser today, he seemed pissed, said something along the lines of, "the player is healthy, he just chose to leave practice, and that's fine'   Doesn't sound like the kind of thing you would say about a concussed player with all the new attention to that right now

I doubt it's a concussion. The team and Rex are just playing to cute for that. In Rex's presser today, he seemed pissed, said something along the lines of, "the player is healthy, he just chose to leave practice, and that's fine' Doesn't sound like the kind of thing you would say about a concussed player with all the new attention to that right now

Wouldn't he just say, "It's a concussion," if only to take the heat off of McKnight?

It is so mind boggling that they can not seem to get his problems under control- for his sake hopefully they can

Percy Harvin struggled with Migraines, it's not really something medical science has an easy solution for... it's obvious that something is causing the migraine, it could be chemical, it could be psychological, it could be ocular (his eyes), but there's no pill or simple treatment. Weed sometimes works actually. People who have migraines usually have to ride it out, or avoid triggers. 

Percy Harvin struggled with Migraines, it's not really something medical science has an easy solution for... it's obvious that something is causing the migraine, it could be chemical, it could be psychological, it could be ocular (his eyes), but there's no pill or simple treatment. Weed sometimes works actually. People who have migraines usually have to ride it out, or avoid triggers. 

I saw a neurologist and had an MRI of the brain years ago for a cat scan.  Although they work to find your "triggers" in many cases likes you said, medication does work for a large percentage of those affected.  But -- it doesn't stop the migraine it makes it go away.  So you often have that 20 minute window, like Terrell Davis in the Super Bowl all those years ago.

But the meds are like a miracle drug because a migraine is crippling.  Then you pop the pill and it goes away.  In 20 minutes.  :)

Sanchez should be relegated to the 2nd team for the week after throwing the pick 6.    It just seems like every year it's the same story in training camp and then 35 turnovers later there is no accountability and we hear the exact same sound bites.   

definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.   what makes anyone think there will be different results this year?  

Archived