What If?

MexiRoll6

Sanchez opens as starter and goes 5-4 through first nine games. Say he has a 56% completion percentage or better, with more TD's than ints. Do you replace him with Geno Smith after the bye week?

I don't see this happening, but it is not out of the realm of possibility. Does Rex decide to pull Sanchez even though he has the team competitive in games? Opinions?

No.  If we're 5-4 at the bye, you stick with whatever is working.  Because, the schedule gets much easier after.  We could conceivably go 11-5 from 5-4, or 10-6.

However, it's unlikely this team finds 5 wins in the first 9 games.

If Sanchez goes 5-4 you keep with him. NE twice, Pitt, Atlanta, Cincinatti and N.O.? Buffalo and Tennessee are games we can win. that means you'd be beating 3 oof the other power houses. I'd sign up for that, 'cause after the bye our schedule gets much easier. We could be a 10 win team under that scenario

Tampa Bay 1:00pm (FOX) Sep 12 @New England 8:25pm (NFLN) Sep 22 Buffalo 4:25pm (CBS) Sep 29 @Tennessee 4:05pm (CBS) Oct 7 @Atlanta 8:40pm (ESPN) Oct 13 Pittsburgh 1:00pm (CBS) Oct 20 New England 1:00pm (CBS) Oct 27 @Cincinnati 4:05pm (CBS) Nov 3 New Orleans

Oddly enough, that was the Giants' record when they replaced Warner with rookie Eli.

Then considering the difference in who was replaced:

3 years earlier, Sanchez had his best (or most efficient) season and the Jets went to the AFCCG

3 years earlier, Warner was the most prolific passer on planet earth

That being said, if you're going to do that, then you don't start Sanchez week 1 in the first place.

No.  If we're 5-4 at the bye, you stick with whatever is working.  Because, the schedule gets much easier after.  We could conceivably go 11-5 from 5-4, or 10-6.

However, it's unlikely this team finds 5 wins in the first 9 games.

I don't think 5-4 is impossible. We have a shot at 3-1 after the first four.

We also have a shot at 19-0.  But, I've seen this team play, they're pretty bad.

One thing is not like the other. You are capable of putting up more points than we did last season.. clearly. And our D has a shot to be great. We will be better than last season.

And you're telling me you don't think we can beat Tampa, Buffalo, and the Titans?

One thing is not like the other. You are capable of putting up more points than we did last season.. clearly. And our D has a shot to be great. We will be better than last season.

And you're telling me you don't think we can beat Tampa, Buffalo, and the Titans?

I think we're capable of beating any one of them but when was the last time this team won 3 out of 4?  The Super Bowl winner has only once won all their games, despite being essentially the best team.  Same deal here, on a much suckier level.

I think we're capable of beating any one of them but when was the last time this team won 3 out of 4?  The Super Bowl winner has only once won all their games, despite being essentially the best team.  Same deal here, on a much suckier level.

Lets not fall into the "SOJ" nonsense. 3 of 4 is doable. Pray with me.

Sanchez opens as starter and goes 5-4 through first nine games. Say he has a 56% completion percentage or better, with more TD's than ints. Do you replace him with Geno Smith after the bye week?

I don't see this happening, but it is not out of the realm of possibility. Does Rex decide to pull Sanchez even though he has the team competitive in games? Opinions?

I think of it this way...You bench Sanchez no matter what unless he is at least 5-4 with 2:1 TD:INT.

You only bench Sanchez if he sucks and the Jets are 1-8 or something.   And Geno is ready.  It wasn't like Smith did anything in the first preseason game to warrant him starting anyway.  Let the kid sit, learn, practice, take it all in.  Nothing like throwing him to the wolves when he's not ready on a bad team.  We already saw him get injured by nobody.   

I don't see the point in starting Geno until really late in the year.  I mean Kapernick is a far better QB than Smith and the only reason he started in season 2 was because Alex Smith got injured.   And Alex Smith was far worse than Sanchez when Kapernick was a rookie.   So why throw Geno into the mix just because Sanchez is not any good.  We know that.   This team needs to fell like Smith is capable of being the future QB and watching his rookie year from the bench isn't a loss.    Otherwise they were just dumb in drafting him.

You only bench Sanchez if he sucks and the Jets are 1-8 or something.   And Geno is ready.  It wasn't like Smith did anything in the first preseason game to warrant him starting anyway.  Let the kid sit, learn, practice, take it all in.  Nothing like throwing him to the wolves when he's not ready on a bad team.  We already saw him get injured by nobody.   

I don't see the point in starting Geno until really late in the year.  I mean Kapernick is a far better QB than Smith and the only reason he started in season 2 was because Alex Smith got injured.   And Alex Smith was far worse than Sanchez when Kapernick was a rookie.   So why throw Geno into the mix just because Sanchez is not any good.  We know that.   This team needs to fell like Smith is capable of being the future QB and watching his rookie year from the bench isn't a loss.    Otherwise they were just dumb in drafting him.

Kaepernick? This is so false it is ridiculous. 

This is Smith's line from 2011, Kaepernick's rookie year.

16 16 13-3-0 273 445 61.3 3144 17 3.8 5 1.1 56 7.1 7.3 11.5 196.5 90.7

This was Sanchez last year.  

15 15 6-9-0 246 453 54.3 2883 13 2.9 18 4.0 66 6.4 5.2 11.7 192.2 66.9 23.37

7 % less completions, 4 less TDs, 13 MORE INTs.  Less yards, 7 Less wins and 6 MORE losses.  Are you ******* kidding?  Alex Smith hasn't had a season as bad as Sanchez in 2012 since 2007.  Nevermind that Kaepernick was a bit raw and coming out of the WAC.

I can understand not wanting to ruin the kid, but that's about it.  They drafted Geno to play QB.  He doesn't have to be the face of the franchise for an eternity to make it a decent pick.  If he is better and it won't ruin him, start him.  You don't throw away the season to perfect the development of a second round pick.  There isn't this great investment in Geno Smith.

Archived