The Mad Backer retires.

pointman

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agreed. Don't tell me you are saying Bart prevented it, or that Lewis would have made it so. Come on. Thats too much, even for this Debbie Downer forum.

My whole argument is that a Ray Lewis led defense would not have allowed Mendenhall to truck us vs. Pitts, tilting the time of possession to our favor and probably not allowing that 3 minute, 8 play, 27 yard drive that Pitts ended the game with, when our offense was just starting to come awake in the 4th quarter.

I'm not saying Lewis would have guaranteed a SB win, but I am saying we make it past Pittsburgh with Lewis - rather than Bart.

I'm convinced of this, and I didn't come into this thread to convince others - it's just what I believe.

If fans can take a dump on Curtis Martin after all he did as a Jet, then I'm most certainly entitled to not give a crap about the meager contributes of Bart's mouth.

My whole argument is that a Ray Lewis led defense would not have allowed Mendenhall to truck us vs. Pitts, tilting the time of possession to our favor and probably not allowing that 3 minute, 8 play, 27 yard drive that Pitts ended the game with, when our offense was just starting to come awake in the 4th quarter.

I'm not saying Lewis would have guaranteed a SB win, but I am saying we make it past Pittsburgh with Lewis - rather than Bart.

I'm convinced of this, and I didn't come into this thread to convince others - it's just what I believe.

If fans can take a dump on Curtis Martin after all he did as a Jet, then I'm most certainly entitled to not give a crap about the meager contributes of Bart's mouth.

I don't know about about all that. We lost that game cause we came out in the first half and looked like utter garbage. we looked like a peewee club trying to play with the big boys. We came out flat, and got worked. Murderer Ray is one man, and wasn't going to change the entire performance of our first half. 

Bart did more than talk. He was a battering ram that diverted plays to the outside and made piles. His contribution to plugging the run was big. He did his job, and he did it well. He wasn't a stat guy, cause no one chalks up a "1" in any column for the animal that runs head first into the A gap.

You do know that a Ray Lewis led defense gave up 31 points the week before the Jets game to the Rashard Mendenhall led Steelers? Spit up a 21-7 halftime lead. 

I don't know about about all that. We lost that game cause we came out in the first half and looked like utter garbage. we looked like a peewee club trying to play with the big boys. We came out flat, and got worked. Murderer Ray is one man, and wasn't going to change the entire performance of our first half. 

Bart did more than talk. He was a battering ram that diverted plays to the outside and made piles. His contribution to plugging the run was big. He did his job, and he did it well. He wasn't a stat guy, cause no one chalks up a "1" in any column for the animal that runs head first into the A gap.

I know what he did on the field, and the value of it. 

Listen, rational or not, I don't like him because of that stupid "can't wait" sh*t and the fact that the team came out flat. Bart Scott was supposed to be Rex's guy, the guy that helped transform the personality of the Jets into Rex's personality. Bart was sold to us as a tough guy, a guy that doesn't quit, a leader and the last guy you'd want to meet in a dark alley .... if that was all the case, then how does Bart let HIS team come out flat?

How does Bart let HIS defense get trucked in that final drive with the SB on the line.

Bart did a great job of doing all the things he was supposed to, yes... but this was supposed to be HIS team, he was supposed to be Rex's dude, the leader... and all I can recall seeing from this team is that they routinely came out flat and lifeless when it mattered most. The Pittsburgh game was the most prolific example of this.

Bart didn't elevate his team.

It's too easy to just blame the offense, like everyone does. The issues ran deeper on those teams. 

You do know that a Ray Lewis led defense gave up 31 points the week before the Jets game to the Rashard Mendenhall led Steelers? Spit up a 21-7 halftime lead.

lol, give it up. Jets fans are waaay too self-loathing to admit things like this.

I'm aware. They held Mendenhall under 50 yards, he just punched a couple in from the goal line. The comeback was all Rothlesberger.

Ray Lewis in Rex's defense, with Revis, I don't think the Steelers come out and drub us in the first half, and I KNOW that we wouldn't have been trucked in the 2nd half when the game was on the line. Remember, the Jets did all the 2nd half scoring - all we needed was one defensive stop to get the ball back. Our offense was playing about as good as you could ask for in the 2nd half. 

We would have won that game.

It doesn't matter. 

Good riddance to Bart Scott, if you guys can't get over one fan not liking him, so be it. I don't feel he ever delivered on the hype that surrounded Rex "courting" him here. 

lol, give it up. Jets fans are waaay too self-loathing to admit things like this.

It's got nothing to do with self-loathing. Listen, plenty of us have ex-Jets and current Jets we don't like. Bart happens to be someone I think embodies an era of Jets football that is punctuated by boasts and very talented players disappearing when it matters the most. Signatures of Rex's bully-mentality persona... all talk, until he gets smacked in the flabby chops... then he curls up in a ball.

Just like he's done this pre-season. 

I'm aware. They held Mendenhall under 50 yards, he just punched a couple in from the goal line. The comeback was all Rothlesberger.

Ray Lewis in Rex's defense, with Revis, I don't think the Steelers come out and drub us in the first half, and I KNOW that we wouldn't have been trucked in the 2nd half when the game was on the line. Remember, the Jets did all the 2nd half scoring - all we needed was one defensive stop to get the ball back. Our offense was playing about as good as you could ask for in the 2nd half. 

It doesn't matter. 

Good riddance to Bart Scott, if you guys can't get over one fan not liking him, so be it. I don't feel he ever delivered on the hype that surrounded Rex "courting" him here. 

You're serious?  All he did was stick 14 points down Ray's throat.  I guess we know where you stand on the defensive rankings by points vs. yardage argument.  The Jets O played as good as you could ask for in the 2nd half?  They scored 14 ******* points, 7 on a short field after the safety and couldn't punch it in after a 10 minute drive.  I could ask for more. 

Also, on this... in the end, the defense had a chance to make a stop and get the offense the ball back and they could NOT stop Mendenhall. 

In the 4th quarter the Jets offense put together a 4 minute TD drive to make the game close, then the defense allowed the STeelers an 8 play 3+ minute drive to end the game. When the vaunted defense needed to make a stop, they couldn't. 

There have been many close games where REx's DEF curls up like this, not just this one. I think it's a reflection of the leaders on the team when this happens repeatedly. I think Bart is the primary tone-setter for the defense from these seasons where it has happened.

So, I'm happy he's retired. I think he was over-rated. Fine player, but a guy asked to lead who didn't inspire anyone to dig deep... not what we needed.

While I get what you're saying to an extent, I think you're over-selling the Bart thing a bit.  I won't argue against the fact that the run D was absolutely horrible in the first half, but they shut down Mendenhall in the second half, including on that final drive you mentioned.  The Steelers managed to kill the clock because of those two big passes from Ben on that drive, not Mendenhall (not that it makes it any better).

The bigger problem with clock management in that game comes down to the fact that the offense held the ball for all but 1 play in a stretch from 1 minute left in the third quarter until 3 minutes left in the game and in all of that time, managed to come away with a grand total of 7 points in those 13 minutes (while the defense managed 2 of their own), including an 8-minute drive which yielded 0 points.  I'm not even saying Scott played at all well in that game, but I can't see any way he can be considered the ultimate difference in a win or loss.

You're serious?  All he did was stick 14 points down Ray's throat.  I guess we know where you stand on the defensive rankings by points vs. yardage argument.  The Jets O played as good as you could ask for in the 2nd half?  They scored 14 ******* points, 7 on a short field after the safety and couldn't punch it in after a 10 minute drive.  I could ask for more. 

I'm not sure how many times I need to say this, my dislike of the guy may not be rational, it just is what it is. You can probably get over it.

While I get what you're saying to an extent, I think you're over-selling the Bart thing a bit.  I won't argue against the fact that the run D was absolutely horrible in the first half, but they shut down Mendenhall in the second half, including on that final drive you mentioned.  The Steelers managed to kill the clock because of those two big passes from Ben on that drive, not Mendenhall (not that it makes it any better).

The bigger problem with clock management in that game comes down to the fact that the offense held the ball for all but 1 play in a stretch from 1 minute left in the third quarter until 3 minutes left in the game and in all of that time, managed to come away with a grand total of 7 points in those 13 minutes (while the defense managed 2 of their own), including an 8-minute drive which yielded 0 points.  I'm not even saying Scott played at all well in that game, but I can't see any way he can be considered the ultimate difference in a win or loss.

Sorry, all I saw was red and us not stopping the run all game and not getting the ball back. I said it already, maybe not rational, but I just believe in my heart that with a different mouthpiece in the lockerroom, one that didn't seek out the camera to talk junk after the previous week's win, that the team comes out at a different pace.

Cocky mother****ers fall on their faces. So, while the points you guys make about the game might be fair, all I saw was a lifeless team - and when Bart Scott is supposed to be the emotional leader of said team it becomes easy for me to blame him for everything.

I just thing he's over-rated by many fans. He was a player, but he was in no way the guy we needed him to be for the reasons Rex recruited him. 

We needed "never say die" and we got "can't wait, we got this, oh sh*t they just hit me in the mouth, I'm out".

Sorry, all I saw was red and us not stopping the run all game and not getting the ball back. I said it already, maybe not rational, but I just believe in my heart that with a different mouthpiece in the lockerroom, one that didn't seek out the camera to talk junk after the previous week's win, that the team comes out at a different pace.

Cocky mother****ers fall on their faces. So, while the points you guys make about the game might be fair, all I saw was a lifeless team - and when Bart Scott is supposed to be the emotional leader of said team it becomes easy for me to blame him for everything.

I just thing he's over-rated by many fans. He was a player, but he was in no way the guy we needed him to be for the reasons Rex recruited him. 

We needed "never say die" and we got "can't wait, we got this, oh sh*t they just hit me in the mouth, I'm out".

Fair enough and you certainly may have a point there, but I must admit my objections are also in part emotional as I simply cannot allow myself to bare the thought of anyone providing anything that could be used as an excuse (even if that's not your intent) for that garbage offense, especially after the utter nonsense we had to hear from some at that time about Sanchez's supposed "good game" in which he led the opposition to more first-half points than his own team.

Saying cocky mother****ers fall on their faces and advocating for Ray Lewis does not seem to be a consistent line of thought. 

Can't disagree more about your assessment of Scott.  What we got was a limited player who did everything he could.  It's not his fault that our moronic fanbase decides that every player either sucks or is the second coming of Butkus.  Funny that the "never say die" Ray Lewis Ravens D gave up 24 points in the second half while the "can't wait, we got this, oh sh*t they just hit me in the mouth, I'm out" Bart Scott D outscored the Steelers 2-0 in the second half.  I get it you don't like the guy, but I think he will be interesting in the booth or studio and he was far from the problem with the team.  If somebody starts talking him up as an all-time great I might take your side, but in this discussion I'm against. 

I think it's also very overlooked what the defense did to one of the game's better passers.  Roethlisberger dropped back to pass about 30 times and came away with 10 completions for 130 yards and 2 picks (plus we sacked him a couple of times including in his own endzone).  He did run one in from the 2.  But we wrecked a QB who was completing 60-65% of his passes and threw 5 picks in 13 games.  

Even that doesn't tell the whole story of his season because he missed the first month after riding around on his motorcycle without a helmet & wiped out or got into an accident or some idiocy like that.  Point is he threw 4 picks in his first 5 games back.  Then after that he threw exactly 1 pick in his next 8 games - on the road in Baltimore in a 40-attempt game - leading up to the Jets game.  Exactly 1 pick in his prior 270 pass attempts, meaning it had become nearly impossible to get Roethlisberger to throw a pick.  We got him twice in 19 attempts on his home field.  He finished the game with a passer rating of 35.5 (and a win).  So to say the whole defense didn't show up is a bit disingenuous.  

Mendenhall did have some runs where he, let's say it, looked better than he was.  But look how much & how quickly the D had to march back onto the field:

Opening drive RM marched right down the field on us.  It was disgusting, even though one of the runs he was gifted an extra 1.5 yards on a ridiculous spot for a first down on 3rd & 12.  The defense DID make the stop & and that would have turned their first TD into a FG.  7-0 Pittsburgh, but should have been 3-0.

Next Jets series we move the ball from our 27 to mid-field & then punt.

Next Pittsburgh series Mendenhall got another 20 yards but it was meaningless as the D intercepts Roethlisberger. 

Next Jets series our offense goes 3 and out and Weatherford shanks his punt for 29 yards.

Next Pittsburgh series they start on their 40.  Mendenhall & Redman gained all the yards, on the ground, but only come away with a FG after the defense holds their ground after Pittsburgh's 1st & goal from the 6.  At this point we're losing 10-0, but it's still very much a game, and the D had to feel a bit energized that they made a tough stop & now the offense just needs to do something so they can get 2 minutes of rest and hopefully come away with at least a FG.

Next Jets series our offense goes 3 and out and Weatherford lets off another sh*tty 30 yard punt, returned for 10 yards.

Next Pittsburgh series Roethlisberger marches them down the field and runs it in himself from the 2.  17-0 Pittsburgh.  However, Pittsburgh's offense doesn't score another point for the rest of the game.

Next Jets series Sanchez fumbles on a sack on our own 20; Pittsburgh picks it up & runs it in for a TD.  24-0 Pittsburgh and the game is now effectively over.

For the D's part - and no, they didn't have a great game or anything - Pittsburgh never scored another point.  Also we managed to pick off Ben one more time and also sack him in his endzone for a safety (actually initially we forced a fumble on the sack).

Giving up 15 net points and getting 2 turnovers (3 if you count the safety, since we got to to start the next series almost at mid-field) in a road playoff game really ought to be enough for a win.  After each turnover the defense caused, our offense came away with zero points.  After each interception the D got, our offense then went 3 & out.  The defense BADLY outplayed our offense.  If our offense didn't sh*t the bed and come up with a (net) 10-point effort, a total already inflated by Pittsburgh playing a lot of vanilla defense in the 2nd half, the Jets are in the superbowl.

I think it's also very overlooked what the defense did to one of the game's better passers.  Roethlisberger dropped back to pass about 30 times and came away with 10 completions for 130 yards and 2 picks (plus we sacked him a couple of times).  He did run one in from the 2.  But we wrecked a QB who was completing 60-65% of his passes and threw 5 picks in 13 games.  

Even that doesn't tell the whole story of his season because he missed the first month after riding around on his motorcycle without a helmet & wiped out or got into an accident or some idiocy like that.  Point is he threw 4 picks in his first 5 games back.  Then after that he threw exactly 1 pick in his next 8 games - on the road in Baltimore in a 40-attempt game - leading up to the Jets game.  Exactly 1 pick in his prior 270 pass attempts, meaning it had become nearly impossible to get Roethlisberger to throw a pick.  We got him twice in 19 attempts on his home field.  He finished the game with a passer rating of 35.5 (and a win).  So to say the whole defense didn't show up is a bit disingenuous.  

Mendenhall did have some runs where he, let's say it, looked better than he was.  But look how much they had to march back onto the field:

Opening drive RM marched right down the field on us.  It was disgusting, even though one of the runs he was gifted an extra 1.5 yards on a ridiculous spot for a first down on 3rd & 12.  The defense DID make the stop & and that would have turned their first TD into a FG.  7-0 Pittsburgh, but should have been 3-0.

Next Pittsburgh series Mendenhall got another 20 yards but it was meaningless as the D intercepts Roethlisberger. 

Next Jets series our offense goes 3 and out and Weatherford shanks his punt for 29 yards.

Next Pittsburgh series they start on their 40.  Mendenhall & Redman gained all the yards, on the ground, but only come away with a FG after the defense holds their ground after Pittsburgh's 1st & goal from the 6.  At this point we're losing 10-0, but it's still very much a game, and the D had to feel a bit energized that they made a tough stop & now the offense just needs to do something so they can get 2 minutes of rest and hopefully come away with at least a FG.

Next Jets series our offense goes 3 and out and Weatherford lets off another sh*tty 30 yard punt, returned for 10 yards.

Next Pittsburgh series Roethlisberger marches them down the field and runs it in himself from the 2.  17-0 Pittsburgh.  However, Pittsburgh's offense doesn't score another point for the rest of the game.

Next Jets series Sanchez fumbles on a sack on our own 20; Pittsburgh picks it up & runs it in for a TD.  24-0 Pittsburgh and the game is now effectively over.

For the D's part - and no, they didn't have a great game or anything - Pittsburgh never scored another point.  Also we managed to pick off Ben one more time and also sack him in his endzone for a safety (actually initially we forced a fumble on the sack).

Giving up 15 net points and getting 2 turnovers (3 if you count the safety, since we got to to start the next series almost at mid-field) in a road playoff game really ought to be enough for a win.  After each turnover the defense caused, our offense came away with zero points.  After each interception the D got, our offense then went 3 & out.  The defense BADLY outplayed our offense.  If our offense didn't sh*t the bed and come up with a (net) 10-point effort, a total already inflated by Pittsburgh playing a lot of vanilla defense in the 2nd half, the Jets are in the superbowl.

knowledge.drop_.png

I think it's also very overlooked what the defense did to one of the game's better passers.  Roethlisberger dropped back to pass about 30 times and came away with 10 completions for 130 yards and 2 picks (plus we sacked him a couple of times).  He did run one in from the 2.  But we wrecked a QB who was completing 60-65% of his passes and threw 5 picks in 13 games.  

Mendenhall did have some runs where he, let's say it, looked better than he was.  But look how much they had to march back onto the field:

Sperm Edwards, the only person on this board who can take even longer than me (let's just call it "being more detailed") to make a similar point.

That said, very well done.  I wholeheartedly agree.

Fair enough and you certainly may have a point there, but I must admit my objections are also in part emotional as I simply cannot allow myself to bare the thought of anyone providing anything that could be used as an excuse (even if that's not your intent) for that garbage offense, especially after the utter nonsense we had to hear from some at that time about Sanchez's supposed "good game" in which he led the opposition to more first-half points than his own team.

I had no intention of making excuses for the offense for their part.

I think it's also very overlooked what the defense did to one of the game's better passers. Roethlisberger dropped back to pass about 30 times and came away with 10 completions for 130 yards and 2 picks (plus we sacked him a couple of times including in his own endzone). He did run one in from the 2. But we wrecked a QB who was completing 60-65% of his passes and threw 5 picks in 13 games.

Even that doesn't tell the whole story of his season because he missed the first month after riding around on his motorcycle without a helmet & wiped out or got into an accident or some idiocy like that. Point is he threw 4 picks in his first 5 games back. Then after that he threw exactly 1 pick in his next 8 games - on the road in Baltimore in a 40-attempt game - leading up to the Jets game. Exactly 1 pick in his prior 270 pass attempts, meaning it had become nearly impossible to get Roethlisberger to throw a pick. We got him twice in 19 attempts on his home field. He finished the game with a passer rating of 35.5 (and a win). So to say the whole defense didn't show up is a bit disingenuous.

Mendenhall did have some runs where he, let's say it, looked better than he was. But look how much & how quickly the D had to march back onto the field:

Opening drive RM marched right down the field on us. It was disgusting, even though one of the runs he was gifted an extra 1.5 yards on a ridiculous spot for a first down on 3rd & 12. The defense DID make the stop & and that would have turned their first TD into a FG. 7-0 Pittsburgh, but should have been 3-0.

Next Pittsburgh series they start on their 40. Mendenhall & Redman gained all the yards, on the ground, but only come away with a FG after the defense holds their ground after Pittsburgh's 1st & goal from the 6. At this point we're losing 10-0, but it's still very much a game, and the D had to feel a bit energized that they made a tough stop & now the offense just needs to do something so they can get 2 minutes of rest and hopefully come away with at least a FG.

Next Pittsburgh series Roethlisberger marches them down the field and runs it in himself from the 2. 17-0 Pittsburgh. However, Pittsburgh's offense doesn't score another point for the rest of the game.

Next Jets series Sanchez fumbles on a sack on our own 20; Pittsburgh picks it up & runs it in for a TD. 24-0 Pittsburgh and the game is now effectively over.

For the D's part - and no, they didn't have a great game or anything - Pittsburgh never scored another point. Also we managed to pick off Ben one more time and also sack him in his endzone for a safety (actually initially we forced a fumble on the sack).

Giving up 15 net points and getting 2 turnovers (3 if you count the safety, since we got to to start the next series almost at mid-field) in a road playoff game really ought to be enough for a win. After each turnover the defense caused, our offense came away with zero points. After each interception the D got, our offense then went 3 & out. The defense BADLY outplayed our offense. If our offense didn't sh*t the bed and come up with a (net) 10-point effort, a total already inflated by Pittsburgh playing a lot of vanilla defense in the 2nd half, the Jets are in the superbowl.

You bring up another failboat in that game: Weatherford. F*cking Weatherford kicked like a 12 year old girl. Great for a 12 year old girl, f*cking disastrously for an NFL kicker.

I think it's also very overlooked what the defense did to one of the game's better passers.  Roethlisberger dropped back to pass about 30 times and came away with 10 completions for 130 yards and 2 picks (plus we sacked him a couple of times including in his own endzone).  He did run one in from the 2.  But we wrecked a QB who was completing 60-65% of his passes and threw 5 picks in 13 games.  

Mendenhall did have some runs where he, let's say it, looked better than he was.  But look how much & how quickly the D had to march back onto the field:

Anybody still wondering why Westie let Weatherford walk?  Choke artist. 

Saying cocky mother****ers fall on their faces and advocating for Ray Lewis does not seem to be a consistent line of thought. 

Can't disagree more about your assessment of Scott.  What we got was a limited player who did everything he could.  It's not his fault that our moronic fanbase decides that every player either sucks or is the second coming of Butkus.  Funny that the "never say die" Ray Lewis Ravens D gave up 24 points in the second half while the "can't wait, we got this, oh sh*t they just hit me in the mouth, I'm out" Bart Scott D outscored the Steelers 2-0 in the second half.  I get it you don't like the guy, but I think he will be interesting in the booth or studio and he was far from the problem with the team.  If somebody starts talking him up as an all-time great I might take your side, but in this discussion I'm against. 

I don't think Ray Lewis is cocky. He's a glory hound, there's a difference, and he has 2 SB rings. 

He will be interesting in the booth. 

The reason I've made such a vocal argument on this, is primarily because of your last sentence... as fans we see all-time great Jets get dogged on constantly, Namath, Martin, oh crap... not many others is there.... but people seem to be overly protective of Bart Scott, I don't get it. He's a punk, he played well, but at the end of the day he'll be remember just like Eric Barton or Victor Hobson, decent LBers on the field.

The thing that was supposed to separate Bart was leadership, and I'm of the opinion he failed in that regard.

It doesn't matter. 

Good posts.  There are at least two Jets fans who never liked Scott, as I didn't either.  I'm glad to see him gone.

Nah, Lewis is a scumbag we didn't need to add into the fold. 

Supposedly, that is no longer true.  I suspect that Ray Lewis did murder that guy.  I definitely despised him early in his career and thought he was a thug. Supposedly however, he found/developed faith in God a few years ago and changed.  If true, I would have taken that Ray Lewis on the team gladly, but not the former one.

He served his purpose.

Yes, to a point, he did, but was too slow and as Integrity pointed out, wasn't the leader he was portrayed to be.  I thought he was an above average player who did his job as best as he could, but was never a topflight player or athlete.  He was the epitome of a blue collar, hard-working overachiever.  I think he did the job of helping teach the D to the Jets players when he came here, and am sure he probably helped motivate and fire up the other players to some extent.  I never expected great things out of him.  I thought Rex and he were too much alike in that they both liked to shoot off their mouths yet frequently their butts couldn't cash the checks their mouths wrote (or however that old saying goes).

Archived