Costello: QB Choice May Wait Until Opner

flgreen

Jets quarterback choice may wait until opener

By BRIAN COSTELLO

Last Updated: 9:00 AM, August 28, 2013

Posted:  2:17 AM, August 28, 2013

Jets Blog

The Jets could run out the clock on their quarterback competition.

Coach Rex Ryan said Tuesday the Jets may wait until the morning of their first regular-season game to announce their starting quarterback.

“That’s a possibility,” Ryan said. “It certainly would be a possibility. I think if you had an option quarterback or something like that, that might be a bigger deal to an opponent. Once you feel good about it and you know it, we’re going to announce it. If you thought you had an edge, then you would purposely hold it. We’re not doing that.”

Mark Sanchez’s injured right shoulder has clouded the team’s decision. The Jets may have to wait until deep into next week before picking the quarterback for the Sept. 8 game with the Buccaneers.

Charles Wenzelberg

Geno Smith (left) and Mark Sanchez

“Until we name the starting quarterback I would say anything’s possible because we haven’t named the quarterback yet,” Ryan said. “We’ll weigh in all the factors and certainly the injury to Mark would be a factor as well.When we feel real good about it, we’ll let anybody know.”

Ryan won’t even say if rookie Geno Smith will play tomorrow in the team’s preseason finale with the Eagles.

“There’s a lot that goes into it,” he said.

Sanchez did not practice again yesterday, as expected, and was not available for comment.

* The Jets agreed to terms with QB Graham Harrell Tuesday night, according to a FOXSports 1 report.

Harrell was released earlier this week by the Packers when he lost the battle to be Aaron Rodgers’ backup to Vince Young.

Harrell, who spent three seasons with the Packers, has played in four career games, all coming last season.  Greg McElroy has been battling an ankle injury, and this may be an indication he is not healthy enough to play much against the Eagles.

* First-round draft choice Dee Milliner has missed practice over the last week because of tightness in his left calf, but said he is confident he will be able to play Week 1 against Tampa Bay.

“I’m just going to do what my trainers tell me, go be aggressive in my rehab and try to get a lot of things done and hopefully I’ll be back,” Milliner said.

The No. 9 overall pick out of Alabama has had a tough training camp. The cornerback was late because of a contract holdout and then played poorly in the team’s preseason game with the Jaguars. Now, he is fighting this injury.Ryan said the trainers appear to be pleased about Milliner’s progress. “They seem pretty confident that he’ll bounce back [before the opener,” Ryan said.

* The Jets have had a kicking competition throughout training camp, but apparently want to see more. They cut Billy Cundiff and signed Dan Carpenter to compete with incumbent Nick Folk. Carpenter had been released by the Cardinals this week and the Dolphins earlier this summer, and will kick against the Eagles.

CB Antonio Cromartie (hip), NT Kenrick Ellis (back), C Dalton Freeman (ankle) and Sanchez did not practice. ... Former Jets RB/KR Joe McKnight went unclaimed through waivers and is now a free agent.

Somebody is getting 1st team reps starting Monday. Simply logistics dictate we will know who the starter is no later than Monday morning. 

If Wrecks thinks he can get away with postponing that decision  until Sunday morning of Week 1 he is insane. Which may be the case.

Somebody is getting 1st team reps starting Monday. Simply logistics dictate we will know who the starter is no later than Monday morning. 

If Wrecks thinks he can get away with postponing that decision  until Sunday morning of Week 1 he is insane. Which may be the case.

The media is only allowed to see a certain portion of camp.  Don't be surprised if they're allowed to see the team stretching as part of their "access".

If Wrecks thinks he can get away with postponing that decision until Sunday morning of Week 1 he is insane. Which may be the case.

He's not postponing it. It's already been made. The only question is "Will Sanchez be ready to go?" Beyond that, it seems like a free for all.

You don't really think this is Rex dragging this decision out do you?  The same Rex who appoints people starters 3 seconds after they are drafted.?

After the Giants game there is only one person who could be the starter.  Snachez.  His getting hurt opened the door for Idzik to allow Smith to be the starter, even if Sanchez is well enough to play.

Funny thing is this may work out for Sanchez.  if I were him I would say my shoulder was sore for the first two games, which are 4 days apart.  After Bellichik gets done with Smith on prime time TV, half the fan base will be chanting for Simms, the other half for Sanchez.

He's not postponing it. It's already been made. The only question is "Will Sanchez be ready to go?" Beyond that, it seems like a free for all.

Sanchez is a waste of F---ing time. If that is the decision, Wrecks deserves to be fired now.There is on accountability at all under Wrecks.  Ryan won't be fired until January because the owner is a cheap dope. But the move should be to let Simms start and see if he can catch lightning in  a bottle. If not, be ready for Smith in Week 3 with lots of prep time. 

Sanchez is a waste of F---ing time. If that is the decision, Wrecks deserves to be fired now.There is on accountability at all under Wrecks. Ryan won't be fired until January because the owner is a cheap dope. But the move should be to let Simms start and see if he can catch lightning in a bottle. If not, be ready for Smith in Week 3 with lots of prep time.

Sanchez's purpose is to be a place holder and maybe win a few games before Smith comes in. They're not going to start Simms.

Sanchez is a waste of F---ing time. If that is the decision, Wrecks deserves to be fired now.There is on accountability at all under Wrecks.  Ryan won't be fired until January because the owner is a cheap dope. But the move should be to let Simms start and see if he can catch lightning in  a bottle. If not, be ready for Smith in Week 3 with lots of prep time. 

Can the Jets win with Sanchez?  No, not long term, but they can win a few.  The purpose for starting Sanchez isn't to necessarily win, it's to give Geno the time he needs to get ready.  This team isn't going anywhere this season anyway.  Their main focus should be developing their young players and doing every thing they can to help them succeed.  

Can they give Geno the time he needs to get ready by starting Sanchez and at least have some chance of winning a few games during that span?  Yes.  If McElroy's healthy, they could go with him, but Geno needs time.  He needs the kind of focused practice that doesn't involve game prep or playing in games.

Can the Jets win with Sanchez?  No.   

I agree that the Jets can't win a SUper Bowl with Sanchez but he is 37-31 as a Jets QB all time (inc. playoffs) and 3-1 on opening day. they can win games with Sanchez. They can't win a Super Bowl but they can win games. It's been proven. Despite all the buttfumble business he has had a decent career here and it remains to be seen if any other QB on the roster can have even as good a Jets career as Mark Sanchez. 

I agree that the Jets can't win a SUper Bowl with Sanchez but he is 37-31 as a Jets QB all time (inc. playoffs) and 3-1 on opening day. they can win games with Sanchez. They can't win a Super Bowl but they can win games. It's been proven. Despite all the buttfumble business he has had a decent career here and it remains to be seen if any other QB on the roster can have even as good a Jets career as Mark Sanchez. 

That was my point.  They know they can win a few game with Sanchez while Geno is getting ready.   They don't know that they could win any games with McElroy, Simms or Geno starting.  Even though we all hate the thought of it, the wisest course of action is to start Sanchez until Geno is ready or McElroy is healthy if Sanchez plays worse than usual.

Leading the NFL in turnovers over the last 2 years is not a decent career. If the Jets cannot collectively see playing him one more down is a total waste of time, they deserve to have the franchise yanked. Or at least fire the the HC making such a decision.

Sanchez sucks. This season is likely to be a debacle. But one good thing the Jets can does find out if we have either a starting or backup QB already on the roster or do we need to get those in the offseason.

Best idea-write Sanchez his $8.75 million check and give him a ride to the airport. There's no point at all the playing him.He does not give you "the best chance to win". 

SANCHEZ SUCKS. ENOUGH.

According to Brian Costello, McElroy hurt his knee in practice this week.  Doesn't say how badly he's injured.  The Jets may be in a worse mess at QB than we thought.

Jets | Greg McElroy injured

Wed, 28 Aug 2013 08:08:42 -0700

New York Jets QB Greg McElroy (knee) injured his knee in practice this week.

According to Brian Costello, McElroy hurt his knee in practice this week.  Doesn't say how badly he's injured.  The Jets may be in a worse mess at QB than we thought.

Jets | Greg McElroy injured

Wed, 28 Aug 2013 08:08:42 -0700

New York Jets QB Greg McElroy (knee) injured his knee in practice this week.

Thus the Harrell signing.  They just need to make sure they have enough guys able to play tomorrow.

Exactly. But of course, this is why Sanchez should've started the third quarter against the jints behind the starting OL, and Simms should've gotten the cleanup work once the starting OL came out.

Thus the Harrell signing.  They just need to make sure they have enough guys able to play tomorrow.

I don't understand why they wouldn't start Geno tomorrow night. Some BS about not starting starters in the last preseason game? Geno doesn't qualify as a starter at this point, and the starters can use the work, anyway. I'd send Geno and the first OL, at least, out there for a quarter or so. Maybe get lucky and straighten his head out a little bit before the regular season.

Exactly. But of course, this is why Sanchez should've started the third quarter against the jints behind the starting OL, and Simms should've gotten the cleanup work once the starting OL came out.

I don't understand why they wouldn't start Geno tomorrow night. Some BS about not starting starters in the last preseason game? Geno doesn't qualify as a starter at this point, and the starters can use the work, anyway. I'd send Geno and the first OL, at least, out there for a quarter or so. Maybe get lucky and straighten his head out a little bit before the regular season.

my theory: Sanchez AND Geno can't be injured without some kind of riot.

Like someone said above, the week 1 starter is not going to stay secret long. Rex may wait until gameday to announce it, but by next week everybody will know who it is. The fact that Geno isn't starting on Thursday suggests he is the likely starter and Sanchez won't be ready to play yet IMO.

Since Week 3 of the 2011 season how many games did the Jets win that you can point to, and say wow we might have lost this game if Mark Sanchez didn't make this play, or have a good game?  What maybe 2 games, and in those 2 I bet someone could make a good argument he put the team in the position where he needed to bail himself out earlier from HIS stupid blunders.

I honestly think pre Ravens game 2011 M Sanchez was going to carve out a slightly above average to average career with the New York Jets, probably being the QB for 10 years instead of 4, or 5 like now, but the physical (shoulder IMO has never been healthy since that game), and mental abuse that game inflicted on him has changed him forever (maybe with a shoulder surgery, and another shot to start behind a world class offensive line like he had in 2009 things could change), again JMO, but I believe it is a shared opinion from others also.

Since Week 3 of the 2011 season how many games did the Jets win that you can point to, and say wow we might have lost this game if Mark Sanchez didn't make this play, or have a good game?  What maybe 2 games, and in those 2 I bet someone could make a good argument he put the team in the position where he needed to bail himself out earlier from HIS stupid blunders.

I honestly think pre Ravens game 2011 M Sanchez was going to carve out a slightly above average to average career with the New York Jets, probably being the QB for 10 years instead of 4, or 5 like now, but the physical (shoulder IMO has never been healthy since that game), and mental abuse that game inflicted on him has changed him forever (maybe with a shoulder surgery, and another shot to start behind a world class offensive line like he had in 2009 things could change), again JMO, but I believe it is a shared opinion from others also.

The Sanchez game that bothered me the most was the Giants Christmas Eve game in 2010. it was there all day for the taking, and all 2nd half he crapped the bed. While that Jints team won it all they were very beatable that day and had the Jets won that game and the Fins the following week (the Holmes debacle) they were almost a lock for a playoff berth. You can let a lot go if you get in the playoffs as Wrecks did the first 2 seasons, but failing like that leaves a mark. Not sure Wrecks nor Sanchez has ever been the same since. It's really the point the air went out of their balloon.  

I am repping your post cause the shoulder point is a very valid one. But it's not fair to talk only about Mark's flaws and ignore the wins. People do the opposite with Geno they ignore his flaws and only talk about his potential. They aren't playing Tampa Bay in 3 years, when Geno is ready to start. They are playing them in one week. (likewise they aren't playing them in 2011). 

I am repping your post cause the shoulder point is a very valid one. But it's not fair to talk only about Mark's flaws and ignore the wins. People do the opposite with Geno they ignore his flaws and only talk about his potential. They aren't playing Tampa Bay in 3 years, when Geno is ready to start. They are playing them in one week. (likewise they aren't playing them in 2011).

I hear ya on the Geno point, I don't trash him, but I'm not going to make excuses for him to not learn on the job from day 1 take his "mental" lumps, and learn, and get better every week. Like it or not there just aren't many teams capable of developing a project QB the right way anymore, it's win now every year even when everyone and their mother knows it to be impossible.

Archived