Jets release Antonio Garay

F.Chowds

Posted by Josh Alper on August 30, 2013, 5:01 PM EDT
garay-e1377896470178.jpg?w=235Getty Images

The Jets still have no timetable for picking a starting quarterback, but they’ve been able to make some decisions elsewhere on the roster.

PFT has learned from a league source that the team will release veteran defensive tackleAntonio Garay. Garay signed with the Jets as a free agent this offseason.

Garay spent the last four seasons with the Chargers, playing 42 games and making 28 starts during that run. He had nine sacks over that period, but his ability as a pass rusher wasn’t enough to get him a job. It didn’t help Garay’s chances that Damon Harrison emerged as the top contender for snaps with Kenrick Ellis in the middle of the Jets’ line as the team wasn’t likely to keep three players at that spot with good depth in place elsewhere on the line.

The Jets and the other 31 teams have a Saturday 6 p.m. ET deadline to cut their rosters to 53 players.

Because they're keeping 4 QB's.

I think you're probably right.  I'm really shocked that they're keeping 4, but maybe that's a good sign rather than just the fact that 2 of the four are injured and a third is coming off an injury and not totally healed.   I just hope they don't wind up losing one of the good young players they hope to sneak onto the PS.

I think you're probably right.  I'm really shocked that they're keeping 4, but maybe that's a good sign rather than just the fact that 2 of the four are injured and a third is coming off an injury and not totally healed.   I just hope they don't wind up losing one of the good young players they hope to sneak onto the PS.

We're holding 4 so we can see if anyone is better than Mark.. so we can cut ties, then we want to see if Simms can at the very least be a #3, potential #2. If so, Mark is gone, and McElroy is gone.

We're holding 4 so we can see if anyone is better than Mark.. so we can cut ties, then we want to see if Simms can at the very least be a #3, potential #2. If so, Mark is gone, and McElroy is gone.

I don't think they'll go with just 2 QBs.  They could shock me, but just don't think it will happen.

It's not because of 4 QBs. It is a gamble by Idzik. Garay is very injury prone. If he is on the Day 1 roster his entire salary is guaranteed. If he does not get claimed, look for the Jets to pick him up the Monday after the Tampa game.

good point, even braylon may get a call after week 1

Archived