Tomlinson: Rex once said "I'm gonna punch [Belichick] in the face"

Jetsfan80

Dierking can take his dignified losers and shove them where the sun don't shine. 

How can you not love having Rex Ryan as your coach? 

Again, I have gone over my issues with Rex ad nauseum. I will not waste this space to re-sytate those.

believe I am allowed an opinion.

As far as sticking things, you may want to be careful with your reputation ;)

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Again, I have gone over my issues with Rex ad nauseum. I will not waste this space to re-sytate those.

believe I am allowed an opinion.

As far as sticking things, you may want to be careful with your reputation ;)

My reputation for what? For being awesome?

I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence.

Bruce Arians – no

Mike Smith – no

John Harbaugh - no

Doug Marrone – no

Ron Rivera – no

Marc Trestman – no

Marvin Lewis – no

Rob Chudzinski – no

Jason Garrett – no

John Fox – no

Jim Schwartz – no

Mike McCarthy – no

Gary Kubiak – no

Chuck Pagano – no

Gus Bradley – no

Andy Reid – no

Joe Philbin – no

Leslie Frazier – no

Bill Belichick – no

Sean Payton – no

Tom Coughlin – no

Rex Ryan - yes

Dennis Allen – no

Chip Kelly – no

Mike Tomlin – no

Mike McCoy – no

Jim Harbaugh – no

Pete Carroll – no

Jeff Fisher – no

Greg Schiano – no

Mike Munchak – no

Mike Shanahan - no

Oh, you meant in the league NOW. I thought you meant all time.

Good for Rex-He is a QB savant. 

Pretty sure it was YOU that told me to shove something up my behind.

How is that remotely on the same level as what you said?

Mine wasn't personal. I know nothing about you other than your embarrassment over our head coach is nonsensical and I think anyone with that attitude is ridiculous. There was nothing PERSONAL about my comment. I think you need to consult a dictionary. 

Mine wasn't personal. I know nothing about you other than your embarrassment over our head coach is nonsensical and I think anyone with that attitude is ridiculous. There was nothing PERSONAL about my comment. I think you need to consult a dictionary. 

You may treat your ass differently, but I take care to make sure my ass is my own personal property. 

Dierking can take his dignified losers and shove them where the sun don't shine. 

How can you not love having Rex Ryan as your coach? 

He infuriates me at times, and I guarantee there will be a game here or there where I'll be calling for his head, but I like Ryan. I can't help it.  I think he's a good guy and he's fun to root for.  He has his areas where he's lacking (as do other SB winning coaches) but being among the best on one side of the football suggests intelligence, I won't buy into an idea that he's born with defensive intelligence but not offensive.  Not that it's been suggested, but if he can learn one he can learn the other.

Also - and I used to even say this about Herm.  If the players like him and he has 2 top-notch coordinators and a very good (or ideally, better than that) roster, he could be successful.  I like Rex's smart-clown over Herm's stupid-clown thing, but they're both clownish.  Difference with Rex & Herm is Rex needs help on offense where Herm needed help on both sides (and by "help" I mean someone to do the job for him).  They both have/had some serious clock management skills.  I think Rex's stems from being to emotionally attached to the game, causing him to lament on a bad play (and waste valuable thinking-time in the process), and needs to calm down some.  I think it's the reason why he gets all giddy-up and blitzes on obvious passing downs to put that final nail in the coffin and so many opposing OCs just seem ready for it. 

But he's a good guy and while the players (generally) like him personally, I think that affection is stronger because he has an area of expertise (X's and O's and technique) and he's not merely the dopey cheerleader that I envisioned Herm as being.  When players (and ex-players) throw words around like "defensive genius" the operative word to me is genius, not defensive.  I do think he likes running the ball more because (if effective) it makes his defense look better than they are simply by keeping the other team's offense off the field as much as possible.  Plus defensive guys/coaches are (typically) more beat-you-up than finesse and that probably aligns more with running over people than tossing it around (JMO).

But I just like the guy and want him to succeed.  If he flops again then maybe it's time to move on.  This season I think it's fair to grade on a curve with the massive gutting that went on.  But not enough of a curve that 4-12 buys another season (particularly after starting out 1-0). But if he wins 7-8 games (or more)? With a roster everyone was CERTAIN would lead to 6 wins maximum? Yeah, I think he's bought himself an extra year at least (maybe not an extension).  If he wins 10 games with this crew, I'd say he's earned more time and shouldn't have to be a true contractual lame-duck next season.

But the whole mantra that the players are responsible for the good things and the GM is responsible for the good draft picks and the OC is responsible if we put points on the board and Rex is responsible if any or all of them flop? No one's outright said all that quite that way, but some of the sentiments certainly seem to align with that.

You may treat your ass differently, but I take care to make sure my ass is my own personal property. 

I made a general statement that I could have applied to literally anyone. 

You picked a specific instant to use as an example to call me "classless." 

If you can't figure out the difference, YOU are the one with the problem, my friend. 

He infuriates me at times, and I guarantee there will be a game here or there where I'll be calling for his head, but I like Ryan. I can't help it.  I think he's a good guy and he's fun to root for.  He has his areas where he's lacking (as do other SB winning coaches) but being among the best on one side of the football suggests intelligence, I won't buy into an idea that he's born with defensive intelligence but not offensive.  Not that it's been suggested, but if he can learn one he can learn the other.

Also - and I used to even say this about Herm.  If the players like him and he has 2 top-notch coordinators and a very good (or ideally, better than that) roster, he could be successful.  I like Rex's smart-clown over Herm's stupid-clown thing, but they're both clownish.  Difference with Rex & Herm is Rex needs help on offense where Herm needed help on both sides (and by "help" I mean someone to do the job for him).  They both have/had some serious clock management skills.  I think Rex's stems from being to emotionally attached to the game, causing him to lament on a bad play (and waste valuable thinking-time in the process), and needs to calm down some.  I think it's the reason why he gets all giddy-up and blitzes on obvious passing downs to put that final nail in the coffin and so many opposing OCs just seem ready for it. 

But he's a good guy and while the players (generally) like him personally, I think that affection is stronger because he has an area of expertise (X's and O's and technique) and he's not merely the dopey cheerleader that I envisioned Herm as being.  When players (and ex-players) throw words around like "defensive genius" the operative word to me is genius, not defensive.  I do think he likes running the ball more because (if effective) it makes his defense look better than they are simply by keeping the other team's offense off the field as much as possible.  Plus defensive guys/coaches are (typically) more beat-you-up than finesse and that probably aligns more with running over people than tossing it around (JMO).

But I just like the guy and want him to succeed.  If he flops again then maybe it's time to move on.  This season I think it's fair to grade on a curve with the massive gutting that went on.  But not enough of a curve that 4-12 buys another season (particularly after starting out 1-0). But if he wins 7-8 games (or more)? With a roster everyone was CERTAIN would lead to 6 wins maximum? Yeah, I think he's bought himself an extra year at least (maybe not an extension).  If he wins 10 games with this crew, I'd say he's earned more time and shouldn't have to be a true contractual lame-duck next season.

But the whole mantra that the players are responsible for the good things and the GM is responsible for the good draft picks and the OC is responsible if we put points on the board and Rex is responsible if any or all of them flop? No one's outright said all that quite that way, but some of the sentiments certainly seem to align with that.

Very eloquently stated as usual, Sperm. 

It very well could be the case Idzik wanted the polar opposite of Rex on offense to see if it could blend. Hell I was screaming on Sunday to run the ball when we had the lead. And there we were again shotgun, 5 wide inside our own 20. I'm sure Rex had his eyes closed. This is a trial year, obviously...but I dont doubt Idzik like's Rex's abilities as a defensive coach.

Fair comments. 

Mine wasn't personal. I know nothing about you other than your embarrassment over our head coach is nonsensical and I think anyone with that attitude is ridiculous. There was nothing PERSONAL about my comment. I think you need to consult a dictionary

I've been told statements like the bold imply that someone is less intelligent than I am, and therefore are the same as calling them stupid - thus a personal attack.

I made a general statement that I could have applied to literally anyone. 

You picked a specific instant to use as an example to call me "classless." 

If you can't figure out the difference, YOU are the one with the problem, my friend. 

Pretty sure you said : Dierking can take his dignified losers and shove them where the sun don't shine. 

Can't help but feel that was directed at me. I don't know?????

It very well could be the case Idzik wanted the polar opposite of Rex on offense to see if it could blend. Hell I was screaming on Sunday to run the ball when we had the lead. And there we were again shotgun, 5 wide inside our own 20. I'm sure Rex had his eyes closed. This is a trial year, obviously...but I dont doubt Idzik like's Rex's abilities as a defensive coach.

in 2013, in this league, shotgun trying to ice the game is actually the correct way to go.

Pretty sure you said : Dierking can take his dignified losers and shove them where the sun don't shine. 

Can't help but feel that was directed at me. I don't know?????

And where is there any mention of any specific moment in your life or me questioning any personal characteristic of yours?

I could replace your name with anyone's or said "anyone who feels that way." You just happened to be the one who has been most outspoken about this in this thread.

What you said, however, is incredibly personal. 

Yeah, after my character was called into question and I was called "classless."

I've been banned for implying people are stupid. I've never been banned for questioning someone's character or calling them classless. Not sure what to tell you.

Other than that you guys sound like a pair of ninnies

And where is there any mention of any specific moment in your life or me questioning any personal characteristic of yours?

I could replace your name with anyone's or said "anyone who feels that way." You just happened to be the one who has been most outspoken about this in this thread.

What you said, however, is incredibly personal. 

Great post.

I think Rex is a very good coach. Is he flawed?  Sure. All coaches are. But his defense keeps us competitive, even when our offense is absolutely putrid.  As bad as we were last year, we were still in the playoff hunt going into December.  That's with some of the worst QB play I've ever seen.  A large reason for that was because of the defense.

I think they finally hired the right OC.  Get him some talent to work with (especially at QB), and combined with Rex's defense, we can be an excellent football team.

Great post.

I think Rex is a very good coach. Is he flawed?  Sure. All coaches are. But his defense keeps us competitive, even when our offense is absolutely putrid.  As bad as we were last year, we were still in the playoff hunt going into December.  That's with some of the worst QB play I've ever seen.  A large reason for that was because of the defense.

I think they finally hired the right OC.  Get him some talent to work with (especially at QB), and combined with Rex's defense, we can be an excellent football team.

I think so.  Mornhinweg was a great hire for him, even if it had to be made with him kicking and screaming.  If he can co-exist with Marty then it could prove to be a great mix.  Stingy defense and an offense that likes to put up points in a hurry (even if it means putting the D back on the field faster).

As I keep saying, I expect nothing this season.  So I get to watch from the mindset that this is one big tryout on the field.  I try to look at it the same way for the coaches and the GM.  You get to take chances you otherwise wouldn't, whether in playcalling or who gets put onto the field.  Quite liberating.  It will end after this one season, but I get to root for these moral victories that otherwise don't mean jack sh*t.  A young - not to mention, an outright rookie - QB's growing pains are a lot easier to deal with when the rest of the team isn't built for a superbowl right now.  It's why 2009-2010 were so frustrating for me.  Those teams were good enough to hoist up championship trophies but for 1 player.  The coaching was lacking as well, but a top QB covers up for a lot of stupid plans.  Conversely, a bad QB makes a lot of good plans look stupid.

But back to Rex, I really want it to be him.  If it isn't then it isn't.  I'll miss having a defense that (when we have the horses on the roster) can usually be relied upon to keep the other side under 20 points (though discharging Rex doesn't necessarily have to mean the D becomes bad or even worse).  But if they're failing on D and we're still not putting up points on offense (and it doesn't look like there is any noticeable improvement curve that we're going through) then he has to go and I'll wish him well elsewhere except against the Jets.

Archived