Cimini: Upon Further Review

flgreen

Upon Further Review: Jets Week 2

September, 13, 2013

Sep 13

12:58

PM ET

By  Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

An examination of five hot issues from the New York Jets' 13-10 loss to the New England Patriots:

1. Geno, meet adversity: Bill Parcells used to say the true test of a quarterback’s mettle comes after he has a bad game, when he steps into the huddle in practice and has to look his teammates in the eyes. Do they see confidence, or do they sense self-doubt? That will be Geno Smith’s world next week. He said all the right things after his three-interception performance, but now he has to move past it and re-establish himself as the leader of the offense. This was a tough one for the rookie. The game was there for the taking, but he made a bad decision and two bad throws in the fourth quarter. The most troubling part? He struggled against a four-man rush, completing only 9 of 24 passes with three interceptions. The Patriots showed you can rattle an inexperienced quarterback without having to blitz him.

William Perlman/The Star-Ledger via USA TODAY SportsStephen Hill and the Jets receivers had a tough time holding on to the ball Thursday night.

2. Catch the damn ball: This has been an issue since June minicamp, when the wide receivers left more droppings on the field than a family of geese. There were six dropped passes Thursday night, including three by Clyde Gates, who failed to bring in a low but catchable ball in the end zone. Clearly, coach Rex Ryan was exasperated. Gates was thrust into a bigger role because of the injury to Jeremy Kerley, and he responded with only two catches on eight targets. The bigger concern is Stephen Hill, who had a fumble and a drop. When they weren’t dropping balls, the receivers struggled to get open against the Patriots’ press coverage. The lack of a big-time threat on the outside has a trickle-down effect on the entire offense.

3. Overly aggressive play calling: Coordinator Marty Mornhinweg showed a lot of confidence in Smith, maybe too much confidence, especially in the fourth quarter. Not only did he call 10 pass plays, giving an effective Chris Ivory only one rushing attempt, but Mornhinweg raised questions with the type of throws he called. Smith attempted six passes of at least 10 yards, completing only one, according to ESPN Stats & Information. They might have been better served with safer passes, maybe a slip screen or two, instead of downfield shots.

4. Dee for disaster: Other than quarterback, the toughest position for a rookie is cornerback. You’re bound to experience growing pains against the NFL’s big-time receivers. But here’s the deal with Dee Milliner: Calvin Johnson wasn’t on the field. Neither was Larry Fitzgerald. Milliner struggled to cover Kenbrell Thompkins and a cast of no-name receivers, and that’s alarming. It didn’t take long for Ryan to say, “Enough is enough,” benching Milliner at halftime. Milliner wasn’t a third-round pick; he was the No. 9 overall pick in the draft. No one expects him to be Darrelle Revis, the man he’s trying to replace, but he should be better than this. What irked Ryan was that Milliner made mental errors -- or as Milliner called them, “simple mistakes.”

5. Mo bad news: Defensive end Muhammad Wilkerson (ankle) didn’t appear to be seriously hurt, but it would be a blow to the defense if he misses even one game. He’s the Jets' best defensive player, and they’re thin on the defensive line. They would be in trouble against the Buffalo Bills next week, especially if Quinton Coples (ankle) misses another game.

5. Mo bad news: Defensive end Muhammad Wilkerson (ankle) didn’t appear to be seriously hurt, but it would be a blow to the defense if he misses even one game. He’s the Jets' best defensive player, and they’re thin on the defensive line. They would be in trouble against the Buffalo Bills next week, especially if Quinton Coples (ankle) misses another game.

Besides Mo Wilk: Richardson, Harrison, Ellis, Coples (he can play line if/when healthy), Douzable... really, besides all that, the Jets are very thin on the DL.

Larz : upon letting my blood pressure go down 80  points

smiths mistakes were not even in the top 3

#1 - busted coverage for a TD

#2 - dropped pass in endzone settle for FG

#3 - fumble at midfield by hill

positives 

VLAD the pancaker !!!!!   he took on fatso and WON !!!!!!!

demarrio davis is so good, I'm going to have to learn how to spell his name

Ivory runs like a beast

positives 

Ivory runs like a beast

As much as I really dislike Michael Irvin the person, I actually tend to not mind him as a commentator on NFLN because he's not afraid to say what's actually on his mind, as opposed to the others who try to toe the line.  He went from criticizing Brady for acting like a whiny bitch when his rookie receivers made mistakes and not when he himself made mistakes, to saying Gates should be cut on the spot then back to saying how Holmes and the Jets' receivers should do a better job on some of those errant throws by Geno to make sure they don't get intercepted, which actually brings me to my point.  I'm not going to excuse the interceptions that were thrown to Holmes or Gates,as they were certainly thrown a bit late, but it would have been nice if either of the put up a bit of a fight to knock the ball down.

The thing I did like about the first two ints, if you can like anything about interceptions, is that they were the right reads and he was throwing to the right player, just a hair too late.  He seems to have trouble trusting those timing routes that his receiver will be there.  Nothing has made me like Geno more in the first two games then when he's made two huge completions while stepping up into the pocket, knowing full well he's going to get smoked. I can guarantee that gets pointed out in the locker room and his players will love him for it.

positives 

Ivory runs like a beast

This truly shocked me.  Hopefully, it is not an aberration. 

Ivory runs like a beast

The Patriots, on the other hand, were having difficulties with the Jets offensive line.  Either Patriots defensive tackle Vince Wilfork is getting old, or Jets guard Vladimir Ducasse, a risky second-round draft pick in 2010, is finally ready to discard the bust label.  I’ve never seen a Jets lineman stand the hefty Wilfork up like that so often at the point of attack.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/09/13/lichtenstein-marty-mornhinweg-runs-away-from-running-game/

As much as I really dislike Michael Irvin the person, I actually tend to not mind him as a commentator on NFLN because he's not afraid to say what's actually on his mind, as opposed to the others who try to toe the line.  He went from criticizing Brady for acting like a whiny bitch when his rookie receivers made mistakes and not when he himself made mistakes, to saying Gates should be cut on the spot then back to saying how Holmes and the Jets' receivers should do a better job on some of those errant throws by Geno to make sure they don't get intercepted, which actually brings me to my point.  I'm not going to excuse the interceptions that were thrown to Holmes or Gates,as they were certainly thrown a bit late, but it would have been nice if either of the put up a bit of a fight to knock the ball down.

The thing I did like about the first two ints, if you can like anything about interceptions, is that they were the right reads and he was throwing to the right player, just a hair too late.  He seems to have trouble trusting those timing routes that his receiver will be there.  Nothing has made me like Geno more in the first two games then when he's made two huge completions while stepping up into the pocket, knowing full well he's going to get smoked. I can guarantee that gets pointed out in the locker room and his players will love him for it.

great point, geno has balls.  his demeanor is so cool, it comes across as almost apathetic.  weird.  heard on the radio today some praise for not showing up his team mates unlike crybaby cindy having hissy fits

positives 

Ivory runs like a beast

yes vlad played his face off and davis was good i just hope that vlad can keep playing like that and gets better as the season goes along go jets.this  reminds me of rexs first year good D and a rookie at QB. we need to run more!!

Archived