Bills shopping safety Jarius Byrd

AFJF

Are the Buffalo Bills ready to move on from safety Jairus Byrd?

He hasn't played this season because of a foot injury, and apparently he isn't in the team's long-term plans after an ugly offseason contract standoff.

The Buffalo News reported last month that Byrd wants out of town, and ESPN's Adam Schefter reported Sunday that the Bills might be willing to accommodate him. Schefter was told Buffalo understands that the wisest course of action is to trade Byrd, and they are, indeed, open to dealing him, according to sources. Schefter was told that trade talks are ongoing.

Byrd wants to be paid top-five money at his position, but the Bills never have shown interest in making that kind of commitment to the sixth-year defender. We wouldn't be surprised to see Byrd shipped elsewhere, but the Bills will struggle to get equal value in return.

Laron Landry will miss his 3rd game of the season today.  Not resigning him was the right decision. 

I don't know what Byrd's injury deal is, but I do know that GMs can get creative in signing injury-riddled players to contracts.  If the trade compensation is reasonable, I would definitely entertain the idea.  Jairus Byrd is a 2x probowl level safety, who has lead the AFC in interceptions more than once.  As stout as our defense is, we sorely lack players that can get turnovers...and that's kinda his thing. 

Dawan is not a long term answer.  

We won't pay Landry, we certainly don't need this Buffalo reject.

He's a significantly better player than Landry, and probably the exact kind of safety this team needs (a ballhawk-ish type). The issue with him coming here is everything but him being a reject. 

the hierarchy of football needs

get the QB

protect the QB

rush the QB

safety

this is a team by team need situation .... Byrd is exactly what this team needs but it does depend on a few different factors ability not being one of them.

this is a team by team need situation .... Byrd is exactly what this team needs but it does depend on a few different factors ability not being one of them.

no, that is every team.   I would argue the defense is not the problem with this team

Archived