New York Jets Report Card: Week 5

JetNation

New York Jets Report CardJeremy Kerley

Week 5: New York Jets @ Atlanta Falcons

Quarterback: A

Smith: 16/20, 199 yards, 3 TD, 0 INT, 3 rushes for 21 yards

After a poor outing in Tennessee, Geno Smith responded with the best outing of his young career. He completed 80% of his passes, threw for 3 touchdowns and took some yards on the ground when they were available. Most importantly, he never turned the ball over. Geno still holds on to the ball a bit too long at times and that led to a few coverage sacks but his awareness will improve in time. The Jets scored on their first 3 possessions.

Backs: B

Powell: 12 rushes for 38 yards, 1 reception for 9 yards

Ivory: 4 rushes for 27 yards

Goodson: 3 rushes for 32 yards, 1 reception for 9 yards

There weren’t many great individual performances, but what you have to love is the way the Jets mixed it up with this versatile group of backs. In his first game as a Jet, Mike Goodson reminded us that he’s a true playmaker.

Wide Receivers/Tight Ends: A-

Cumberland: 3 receptions for 79 yards, 1 TD

Kerley: 5 receptions for 68 yards, 1 TD

Hill: 2 receptions for 21 yards

Winslow: 1 reception for 1 yard, 1 TD

Gates: 1 reception for 3 yards

Nelson: 2 receptions for 9 yards

Santonio Holmes was sidelined with a hamstring injury, but the Jets receivers and tight ends hardly missed a beat. Geno used almost everyone available to him… even Clyde Gates. Jeremy Kerley made an impressive leap over the pylons to score a touchdown. Other than the fact that he bobbled a ball that nearly led to an interception, Jeff Cumberland had one of his best games as a Jet.

Offensive Line: A-

The Falcons put up 4 sacks, but that was mostly due to coverage downfield and/or indecision by Geno Smith. For the most part, the line did a great job—both in keeping Geno clean and in setting up the running game.

Defensive Line: A

Same ol’, same ol’. The defensive line has really become the bread and butter of the New York Jets. The tandem of Wilkerson and Richardson each had a sack. They will be aggravating opposing offensive lines for the remainder of the decade. The Jets have gotten great production out of several guys that have flown under the radar, including Damon ‘Snacks’ Harrison, Kenrick Ellis and Leger Douzable.

Linebackers:  B+

If David Harris looks rejuvenated, perhaps that’s due to the presence of DeMario Davis. Both of the Jets starting middle linebackers were flying around the field, making plays where it counted.

Secondary: C-

Antonio Cromartie held his ground in one on one match-ups with Julio Jones, but the rest of the secondary missed tackles, dropped interceptions and failed to get off the field on 3rd downs.

Special Teams: A+

Every aspect of special teams had it going against Atlanta. Nick Folk remains perfect on the season on field goals, nailing his 2nd game winner of the year. Jeremy Kerley had a huge momentum-swinging punt return. Antonio Allen blocked a punt.

Coaching: A

Marty Mornhinweg drew up an interesting game plan involving numerous looks and personnel groupings, and it had Atlanta on their toes most of the night. The Jets have struggled with two things this season: turnovers and penalties. Rex promised to fix them both. Against Atlanta, they cut the turnovers down to 0 and the penalties down to 6. Job well done, Rex.

The secondary was not great and to absolve Cro for his play is kind of crazy.  He was one of the worst Jets on defense last night and to say he held his own is not accurate. He gave up nearly 100 yards and Julio wasn't 100%. He has to play better.

He certainly wasn't great, but he wasn't nearly as bad as you're trying to paint it either.  Simply blindly attributing all of Jones' catches to Cromartie is just flat out incorrect.  Outside of the one-hander on that deep ball against Cro, most of the other catches he made came when passing off coverage in the zone, or out in the flat.

The secondary was not great and to absolve Cro for his play is kind of crazy.  He was one of the worst Jets on defense last night and to say he held his own is not accurate. He gave up nearly 100 yards and Julio wasn't 100%. He has to play better.

I was fine with his coverage.  Jones didnt get behind him but one time and had to make an incredible catch to haul it.  They were playing bend dont break, keep everything in front of you, and they were dink and dunking down the field.  Rex dialed up a lot jailhouse blitzes and Jones didnt kill them when they did, so kudos to Cro for a job well done there.  That said, he's the biggest pussy I've ever seen on a Football field.  His tackling efforts are comical.  Just straight comical.  Looks like a little bitch out there when he's got to be the firs to the ball. 

Lot of A's being thrown around...

How can Geno get an A but gets some blame for indecision on the 4 sacks???  Thats not an A game if he made correctable mistakes.

He completed 80% of his passes, at the rate of 10 yards per attempt, for three TDs and 0 interceptions and executed a game winning two minute drill from his own 19 yard line. Really don't think that A grade is overly generous.

I was fine with his coverage. Jones didnt get behind him but one time and had to make an incredible catch to haul it. They were playing bend dont break, keep everything in front of you, and they were dink and dunking down the field. Rex dialed up a lot jailhouse blitzes and Jones didnt kill them when they did, so kudos to Cro for a job well done there. That said, he's the biggest pussy I've ever seen on a Football field. His tackling efforts are comical. Just straight comical. Looks like a little bitch out there when he's got to be the firs to the ball.

Cro has been terrible this season, and he was bad last night. The fact that Matt Ryan went after him twice down the left sideline on back to back plays--and he got beat both times--tells you all you need to know about how well the rest of the league thinks Cro is right now.

He certainly wasn't great, but he wasn't nearly as bad as you're trying to paint it either.  Simply blindly attributing all of Jones' catches to Cromartie is just flat out incorrect.  Outside of the one-hander on that deep ball against Cro, most of the other catches he made came when passing off coverage in the zone, or out in the flat.

If it weren't for how bad our safeties are, Cro would have been the worst player. Missed tackles and less than stellar coverage.  Maybe last year was the aberration, but I expect better.

He completed 80% of his passes, at the rate of 10 yards per attempt, for three TDs and 0 interceptions and executed a game winning two minute drill from his own 19 yard line. Really don't think that A grade is overly generous.

I agree

I've been critical of Smith in the past but there really wasn't much to dislike in what he did last night.   Great game for him

I agree

I've been critical of Smith in the past but there really wasn't much to dislike in what he did last night.   Great game for him

Agreed, plus I might have to go back and look again, but I also can't be sure how many sacks could have possibly been on Geno.  He was sacked 4 times and I distinctly remember one where he was killed by a blitzer right off the snap in the shotgun with an empty backfield and another where Brick was just completely schooled by the DL.  I know another "sack" was the play where he ran out of bounds short of the first, which I can see criticizing as he should have just tossed it away, but that wasn't a matter of just standing in the pocket all day and having no feel for the pressure.  That only leaves one sack I cannot remember, so it couldn't have been that bad.

Agreed, plus I might have to go back and look again, but I also can't be sure how many sacks could have possibly been on Geno.  He was sacked 4 times and I distinctly remember one where he was killed by a blitzer right off the snap in the shotgun with an empty backfield and another where Brick was just completely schooled by the DL.  I know another "sack" was the play where he ran out of bounds short of the first, which I can see criticizing as he should have just tossed it away, but that wasn't a matter of just standing in the pocket all day and having no feel for the pressure.  That only leaves one sack I cannot remember, so it couldn't have been that bad.

Gruden made a big deal about the one when there was an empty back field he said that Smith should have seen that there were 6 guys coming and threw to his hot read.

He's right, Peyton  probably would have burned them on that, but lets be real he did a nice job.  For a rookie to take a sack when he is confused, rather then throw a pick 6 is a good play.

The Falcons made a mistake not blitzing Smith much, and Marty confused the hell out of their D with all kinds of looks to protect Smith.

Steelers are going to come after him hard, and try and rattle his cage.  If he has another good game next week I'll be a believer.    Right now I happy he seems to have had a light go on

It  wasn't a dominating Running game, but with 22 rushes for 118 yards, 5.4 yard average, they certainly showed up

your counting genos rushes?

but more toward not being able to run it down their throat like normal. Whats saving the ypc is  the guys who got 3 and 4 carries. Powell the starter 12 rushes for 38 yards not awe inspiring but yea i guess they werent as bad as I thought when adding it all up

Cro has been terrible this season, and he was bad last night. The fact that Matt Ryan went after him twice down the left sideline on back to back plays--and he got beat both times--tells you all you need to know about how well the rest of the league thinks Cro is right now.

You're stoned on Revis perspective.

Think the other one was on Winters.  He just got beat.  But for that one play, he was quiet and the name-rule for offensive linemen applies.  (If you don't hear his name called, he probably had a good game).

I'll watch him a little more when I watch the replay, but he seems to have had a really good game other than that 1 play.

Think the other one was on Winters.  He just got beat.  But for that one play, he was quiet and the name-rule for offensive linemen applies.  (If you don't hear his name called, he probably had a good game).

I'll watch him a little more when I watch the replay, but he seems to have had a really good game other than that 1 play.

Agreed, and I made a similar point in another thread.  Definitely a nice start from Winters out there, with that one obvious exception.  The focus goes on that one play, because that's always how it goes with OL, but he certainly seemed to have held his own otherwise.  I just couldn't remember if that play resulted in a sack or not.

Archived