Tomlin Makes Changes to Steelers' Line Up on Both Sides of Ball

flgreen

Tomlin makes changes to Steelers' lineup on both sides of ball

About Alan RobinsonAlan Robinson

Steelers Reporter

Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

Contact Us | Video | Photo Reprints

Chaz Palla | Tribune-Review

Published: Tuesday, Oct. 8, 2013, 1:06 p.m.

Ten starts and 11 sacks allowed into an NFL career that's still in its infancy, Steelers left tackle Mike Adams is getting sacked himself.

So is defensive end Ziggy Hood, who hasn't lived to his first-round draft pick expectations — and now isn't even on the first team.

The fallout from the Steelers' 0-4 start continued Tuesday as coach Mike Tomlin announced Adams and Hood were out as starters.

Either Kelvin Beachum or the newly added Levi Brown will replace Adams and former first-round pick Cam Heyward supplants Hood.

That Adams would be benched after allowing 31⁄2 sacks against the Vikings became evident as soon as the Steelers returned from London and dealt with Arizona for Brown, the No. 5 overall pick in 2007 for Arizona.

However, Adams still was listed as a starter on the official team depth chart as recently as Monday.

Tomlin changed that in a hurry, and he issued a challenge to Adams while doing so.

“I think it's going to have an opportunity to define him and his career,” Tomlin said of the former Ohio State star. “There are a lot of solid professional guys that have been through ups and downs, the emotions and so forth.

“The guys that show staying power and the guys that respond to it appropriately, that roll their sleeves up and go to work, (are) steady, solid players.”

Beachum probably will start Sunday against the Jets, as long as left guard Ramon Foster recovers from a left pectoral muscle strain. If he doesn't, Beachum could start at guard with Brown starting at tackle.

Ben Roethlisberger is one of Adams' biggest supporters, but even he recognizes it was time for a change after Vikings star Jared Allen punished Adams repeatedly in London.

“There comes a time where if you're not playing up to par, coach has to make a decision,” Roethlisberger said on his 93.7 radio show. “He's doing that with Mike. Maybe this is exactly what he needs to get to that next level, to be that high-profile guy.”

The Steelers have invested heavily in their offensive line, devoting two first-round picks (center Maurkice Pouncey and guard David DeCastro) and two second-rounders (Adams and Marcus Gilbert) to it since 2010.

Despite doing so, their running game is off to its worst start in franchise history with only a 58 yards per game average, and Roethlisberger is being forced repeatedly to abandon the pocket or to improvise because of a lack of pass protection.

Roethlisberger's 15 sacks are tied for the fourth most in the league, even though the Steelers have played one fewer game than most teams.

Even as the Steelers were drafting one offensive lineman after another, they expended first-round picks on defensive ends Hood (2009) and Heyward (2011). Now, one is taking over for the other.

Heyward, second on the team with nine quarterback pressures, “will play more and deservedly so,” Tomlin said. “To ensure that, we're going to put him in the starting lineup.”

Unlike Adams, who probably won't get on the field in the near future unless there are more injuries, Hood will get playing time as defensive end Brett Keisel continues to take some series off.

Hood, a starter for two-plus seasons, is in the final season of his five-year contract.

“I think he (Heyward) has been really solid, not taking anything away from Ziggy,” Tomlin said.

Except Tomlin is taking something away from Hood: His job.

Alan Robinson is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. Reach him at arobinson@tribweb.com or via Twitter @arobinson_Trib.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/4843502-74/tomlin-start-tackle#ixzz2hKewcjss

Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

Levi Brown, while an upgrade from Mike Adams has never even come close to living up to his billing.  Maybe a change of scenery will do him some good, but I expect Pittsburgh's offensive line to continue their struggles this week, even with a two week lay off to work on techniques.  With Pouncey out for the year, I expect Mo, Sheldon and Coples to absolutely abuse their center on obvious passing downs. 

Bell is a nice back, but I don't see any reason why their running game should give us any worry, considering who we've already faced this year. The only two things of important are 1) Getting to and bringing Big Ben down without allowing him to extend the play and 2) Cover Brown and Sanders on the backend, as those guys are the types of receivers we really struggle against.

I remember right after we took Wilkerson, the Steelers raced to the podium to draft Heyward. I thought to myself, "well, we just blew that pick."

I am not smart.

I was actually thinking about this earlier, as I remember a bunch of people saying how we muffed that pick. I didn't know much about big Mo or the rest of the elite talent, once my delusions of grandeur faded when Aj Green, Julio, Von Miller, Aldon Smith and Watt didn't unexpectedly fall, the guy I really wanted was Brooks Reed and was banging the table since he was still available.  Man did they nail this pick on the head, he seemingly gets better month to month and he doesn't even turn 24 until later this month.

our defensive line must be licking their chops.  even with 2 weeks to prepare rex should have a field day with them.

I agree

The only thing I fear in this game is Dick LeBeau.  The Falcons' for some reason, didn't blitz Smith much.  Smith has played his worst when he is backing up.

The Steelers don't have the great D they have had in the past, but you can bet LeBeau won't make the mistake of letting Smith get comfortable and stepping up.

If Marty can protect Smith like he did in the Falcons' game, this should be a fun game.  If Smith turns the ball over, not so much

I agree

The only thing I fear in this game is Dick LeBeau.  The Falcons' for some reason, didn't blitz Smith much.  Smith has played his worst when he is backing up.

The Steelers don't have the great D they have had in the past, but you can bet LeBeau won't make the mistake of letting Smith get comfortable and stepping up.

If Marty can protect Smith like he did in the Falcons' game, this should be a fun game.  If Smith turns the ball over, not so much

I just don't think the Falcons have the ability to really get to the QB, even with sending extra men; especially since when they did the week prior, teams were abusing Trufant in one on one matchups, so I guess they were picking their poison. Geno made them pay for it. 

I fully expect Lebeau to have a package of blitzes that Rex and Geno have never seen before, but he may not have the horses for it to even be effective. So long as Smith continues to find the open man and challenge one-on-ones, I like our chances.  But as I mentioned in earlier weeks, this game scare me moreso than Atlanta as Big Ben as routinely given us trouble and we typically struggles against guys like Brown and Sanders.  I'm intrigued to see how we cover them, I just don't like seeing Cro on guys that aren't long-striders.  Also want to see Walls progress.

I remember right after we took Wilkerson, the Steelers raced to the podium to draft Heyward. I thought to myself, "well, we just blew that pick."

I am not smart.

I must have missed that because I was so ecstatic that we took the 1 guy I desperately wanted after 3 straight years of the guy I wanted nothing to do with.

I am not smart.

In our defense, we needed a million other things at the time--skill players, a tackle, OLBs. Grabbing a non-pass-rushing DE was such a meh proposition.

In our defense, we needed a million other things at the time--skill players, a tackle, OLBs. Grabbing a non-pass-rushing DE was such a meh proposition.

I have come to the realization that we will never be in a draft position to get a highly regarded OLB. I like the fact that we had the foresight to change our approach

and get D Linemen who are scheme flexible and athletic enough to get after the QB and stop the run. Our only hope is finding a Cameron Wake from the CFL or taking a risk on a player with a bad rep (Burzfect, Cincinnati) or a JUCO guy who no one knows about. It looks as if the 2011(minus Wilson),2012, 2013 draft will be solid one's for us.

As far as OL I like the fact that we have found some value in short term FA and UDFA. Colon is a good fit(Peterman was bad) and Winters could be a find in round 3.

Howard was a great find and will only get better. Next year we will need to start finding replacements for D'Brick and Mangold in the middle rds. and give them a couple of years to sit behind them and learn. This next years draft should be all about skill positions in the first 2 rds. Right now I'm pretty happy that Austin was picked right before us. He's struggling, but that could be Shottenheimers fault. I find Kerley to be a poor man's version of him with better route running.

Hope Allen and Bush can step up as a long term solution at safety.... Two late rd. safeties that become legit players would be a steal. I like the direction we areheading in and next year we will have 11 or 12 picks. If Geno is going to be our guy, we are set up perfectly for the next draft.

Archived