PFF Player Game Grades

flgreen

This has been a trend for almost two years now. Rex's defensive stats get fat off of bad QBs, but he's been figured out by every QB with a pulse. Rex hasn't won a game against a team with a winning record in two years. There are only so many times you get to play against Arizona's third string rookie QB.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This has been a trend for almost two years now. Rex's defensive stats get fat off of bad QBs, but he's been figured out by every QB with a pulse. Rex hasn't won a game against a team with a winning record in two years. There are only so many times you get to play against Arizona's third string rookie QB.

You watch the Colts/Chargers last night? That right there is an example of a defense playing like crap while "only" giving up 19 points.

You watch the Colts/Chargers last night? That right there is an example of a defense playing like crap while "only" giving up 19 points.

I missed it. I don't think the issue is necessarily turnovers or points, though. I think the bigger issue is that attrition has seeped into the defense despite all the resources that have been dedicated to it. RexFans are insecure because its becoming increasingly obvious that their last bastion of derp--"BUT THE DEFENSE!"--is slipping away. You can already see then trying to credit Rex with the offense when it plays well. It's amusing.

I missed it. I don't think the issue is necessarily turnovers or points, though. I think the bigger issue is that attrition has seeped into the defense despite all the resources that have been dedicated to it. RexFans are insecure because its becoming increasingly obvious that their last bastion of derp--"BUT THE DEFENSE!"--is slipping away. You can already see then trying to credit Rex with the offense when it plays well. It's amusing.

The defense is just becoming a "just another defense"

It's still good. But it's good because we've dumped first round pick after first round pick into since Rex has been here. There's no surprise element to Rex's defense anymore. And surprise causes turnovers....

And to add on, I still like Rex as a coach and I can live with him being here because the team does for the most part play hard. But its time for him to buy into bringing in more offense. 

The defense is just becoming a "just another defense"

It's still good. But it's good because we've dumped first round pick after first round pick into since Rex has been here. There's no surprise element to Rex's defense anymore. And surprise causes turnovers....

And to add on, I still like Rex as a coach and I can live with him being here because the team does for the most part play hard. But its time for him to buy into bringing in more offense. 

I think you brought up a great point a few weeks ago about how many teams are rolling out really, really good front fours these days, and how Jets fans act like they're the only ones with talent on the D-Line. It's all over the league now and, as a result, I don't think QBs and OLmen are as spooked as they once were by dynamic DTs and DEs--they're used to giving up that pressure by now, the same way QBs became wary of edge pressure when teams were going nuts drafting pass-rushing OLBs. They're still pushing the pocket, it's just that now offenses concede and account for it.

If Rex isn't bringing a game-changing defense to the field anymore, his value drops dramatically. It will get harder and harder to justify his continued employment.

Sure. But the compromise with now being a bend but don't break defense is you have to force turnovers. If the defense is going to allow third and longs to be converted Into first downs...you gotta be able to jump some routes and help out an offense that isn't going to see the field as much.

I dont see them as bend dont break.  Holding teams to 3 yard per carry (1st in the league) and  6.7 per completion (6th in the league), throw in 20 sacks (4th in the league)...thats usually not the stats of a bend dont break D

They're just not making the turnover type plays.  They've had chances.  Sunday they missed Big Ben in the endzone, they missed a loose ball on the ground.  Last week they missed a pick six, forced a Matt Ryan fumble and had a fluky fumble end up being a huge gainer.  We forget they're starting 8 new starters and what, 6 of which have never been starters before?  I think the ball will start bouncing their way soon enough.

This is still a very good defense.  Its kind of funny we're questioning it to be honest.  They gave up 1 TD Sunday and really it was all on one play vs. one player. 

What kind of defense is it?

A good one.

If it were, they'd be creating takeaways. So I agree with you a bit. Its been more bend but dont break though since the earlier Ryan years.

The defense has been good against traditional running plays. It needs to improve everywhere else.

It does need to improve, but it is not a "bend but don't break" in terms of philosophy.

I dont see them as bend dont break.  Holding teams to 3 yard per carry (1st in the league) and  6.7 per completion (6th in the league), throw in 20 sacks (4th in the league)...thats usually not the stats of a bend dont break D

They're just not making the turnover type plays.  They've had chances.  Sunday they missed Big Ben in the endzone, they missed a loose ball on the ground.  Last week they missed a pick six, forced a Matt Ryan fumble and had a fluky fumble end up being a huge gainer.  We forget they're starting 8 new starters and what, 6 of which have never been starters before?  I think the ball will start bouncing their way soon enough.

This is still a very good defense.  Its kind of funny we're questioning it to be honest.  They gave up 1 TD Sunday and really it was all on one play vs. one player.

What's funnier is that what's being questioned is the coaching. Outside of the DL, this is not a talented team. Everyone knew this before the season began, yet the criticism of the coach continues because that's what people want to criticize. The secondary is particularly bad. Cromartie is having a horrible year, Wilson still hasn't figured it out, and Idzik's first ever draft pick has been a bust to date. The safeties are a competition between late round picks and discarded pieces. And then they suffered injuries.

Lack of turnovers is a problem, but as long as the Jets' offense isn't putting pressure on the other team! they'll continue to be hard to come by. We've see it with Geno already, where he's been able to take care of the football for three quarters, but when the team is behind in the fourth, he takes more chances and turns it over. If the Jets can't get those leads with the offense, the opposition will be able to play it as safe as they want to. Take those three yards on the ground, run down the clock, and punt. If they're not scared of the offense, it's no problem.

But the offense has the same issue - no talent, and the talent they might have had is hurt.

The indictment is on the front office. Tannenbaum did a terrible job, and Idzik, while he's using this season as a transition year in an effort to clean up Tannenbaum's terrible job didn't find enough (or wasn't interested enough to find) pieces to fill the gaps. The RBs he actually invested in have been busts, Milliner has been a bust, and he didn't draft any players in these positions of need. Hopefully there really is a plan in place, but if there is, that plan had everything to do with next year and beyond and nothing to do with this year.

I don't know what coach was supposed to get anything more out of this roster than what Rex and his staff have gotten so far.

What's funnier is that what's being questioned is the coaching. Outside of the DL, this is not a talented team. Everyone knew this before the season began, yet the criticism of the coach continues because that's what people want to criticize. The secondary is particularly bad. Cromartie is having a horrible year, Wilson still hasn't figured it out, and Idzik's first ever draft pick has been a bust to date. The safeties are a competition between late round picks and discarded pieces. And then they suffered injuries.

Lack of turnovers is a problem, but as long as the Jets' offense isn't putting pressure on the other team! they'll continue to be hard to come by. We've see it with Geno already, where he's been able to take care of the football for three quarters, but when the team is behind in the fourth, he takes more chances and turns it over. If the Jets can't get those leads with the offense, the opposition will be able to play it as safe as they want to. Take those three yards on the ground, run down the clock, and punt. If they're not scared of the offense, it's no problem.

But the offense has the same issue - no talent, and the talent they might have had is hurt.

The indictment is on the front office. Tannenbaum did a terrible job, and Idzik, while he's using this season as a transition year in an effort to clean up Tannenbaum's terrible job didn't find enough (or wasn't interested enough to find) pieces to fill the gaps. The RBs he actually invested in have been busts, Milliner has been a bust, and he didn't draft any players in these positions of need. Hopefully there really is a plan in place, but if there is, that plan had everything to do with next year and beyond and nothing to do with this year.

I don't know what coach was supposed to get anything more out of this roster than what Rex and his staff have gotten so far.

We are able to see a path with the Front Office. That change has been made and it did what it had to do. Coaching will come next.

Rex Ryan's defense has six first rounders on it, a second rounder and a third rounder. That's excluding Milliner.

Rex Ryan's defense has six first rounders on it, a second rounder and a third rounder. That's excluding Milliner.

That's what makes the secondary so good, the fact that Cromartie and Wilson are first rounders.

We are able to see a path with the Front Office. That change has been made and it did what it had to do. Coaching will come next.

I see people projecting their own plans onto Idzik, but I haven't actually seen Idzik blaze a path himself just yet.

The excuses afforded Rex Ryan by the apologists are comical.

If we can not even trust Rex Ryan with a defense, unless it is stacked with studs at every position, what exactly can we trust him with?

The defense, despite a lack of talent in the secondary, is playing well. Once again, it's the offense that's terrible. If the offense isn't scoring points, opposing offenses don't have to take any chances with the football. And that's what we're seeing, teams going with high percentage passes to nullify the defensive front, happily punting when they don't get first downs because they're not scared of the Jets' offense.

Criticizing the coach for not getting more than 3-3 out of the level of talent on this team is what's comical. Whether it's by design or not, this is not a talented team.

I see people projecting their own plans onto Idzik, but I haven't actually seen Idzik blaze a path himself just yet.

The defense, despite a lack of talent in the secondary, is playing well. Once again, it's the offense that's terrible. If the offense isn't scoring points, opposing offenses don't have to take any chances with the football. And that's what we're seeing, teams going with high percentage passes to nullify the defensive front, happily punting when they don't get first downs because they're not scared of the Jets' offense.

Criticizing the coach for not getting more than 3-3 out of the level of talent on this team is what's comical. Whether it's by design or not, this is not a talented team.

I will ask then, what is the value of Rex Ryan? If our defense has to hinge on the success of the offense now (although, other putrid offenses are getting turnovers on defense) and we know that Rex will not and can not get himself involved in the offense, what is his worth to the team in a HC capacity?

That is a serious question.

You talk from both sides of your mouth:

-On one side, other teams offenses are playing conservative against the Jets

-On the other-The Jet defense is playing well

There should be a realization, based on reality, that if thejets even threatened on offense on Sunday, the Steelers were going to be putting up more than 19 points.

Don't sit back and say "the defense did its job" by only giving up 19 points. They looked bad in doing it.

One look at the pathetic Jets offense and they stopped trying. Got it.

I will ask then, what is the value of Rex Ryan? If our defense has to hinge on the success of the offense now (although, other putrid offenses are getting turnovers on defense) and we know that Rex will not and can not get himself involved in the offense, what is his worth to the team in a HC capacity?

That is a serious question.

Is it?

Rex is one of the best defensive minds in the game, and one of the league's better head coaches. He's getting more out of this roster than any reasonable fan could expect. Of course, that reasonable modifier tends to exclude your average Jet fan. Like you.

Bitching about the coaching on this team while ignoring the lack of playmakers on either side of the ball is ridiculous.

Is it?

Rex is one of the best defensive minds in the game, and one of the league's better head coaches. He's getting more out of this roster than any reasonable fan could expect. Of course, that reasonable modifier tends to exclude your average Jet fan. Like you.

Bitching about the coaching on this team while ignoring the lack of playmakers on either side of the ball is ridiculous.

If the Jets had playmakers at every position on defense, why would we need Rex?

The Jets have played to a tune of .500 this year against an accumulative record of 11-22. Well done. Imagine if they weren't gifted game 1 at the end.

Rex has ended the past 2 seasons as if he were on a death march. He admittedly lost a locker room because he was not close enough. His team had a revolt in the huddle on the field. He has not made changes for accountability. He thought he could create leadership by handing out cloth patch letters. His team is leading the league in penalties and near last in turnover ration (mental discipline actions).

What is not to love?

If the Jets had playmakers at every position on defense, why would we need Rex?

The Jets have played to a tune of .500 this year against an accumulative record of 11-22. Well done. Imagine if they weren't gifted game 1 at the end.

Rex has ended the past 2 seasons as if he were on a death march. He admittedly lost a locker room because he was not close enough. His team had a revolt in the huddle on the field. He has not made changes for accountability. He thought he could create leadership by handing out cloth patch letters. His team is leading the league in penalties and near last in turnover ration (mental discipline actions).

What is not to love?

I honestly have zero interest in rehashing the same arguments over and over again, or having any dialog with you. Carry on.

I honestly have zero interest in rehashing the same arguments over and over again, or having any dialog with you. Carry on.

Rex is a terrible coach who has a team nobody expecting anything from and short on talent playing as physcial as any other team in the league.  Hell of an accident. 

The excuses afforded Rex Ryan by the apologists are comical.

If we can not even trust Rex Ryan with a defense, unless it is stacked with studs at every position, what exactly can we trust him with?

I apologize to no man.

14 runs in 17 4th quarter plays ran (when they know they couldn't run against the Jets) pretty much tells you that. They didn't act like they were especially threatened.

Like the 9 points they scored, foot to the floor in the first half.  

Rex can't coach defense.  How do they ever win a game?  I'm confused.  The roster had them rated among the lowest tier.  

What is Rex bringing to the table as a defensive coach right now, that we wouldnt be getting from another?

This unit has underachieved this season. Without having the CB that he can put on an island and take away half the field...well...the defense just looks like the ordinary 2008 version that was awesome against traditional running plays, but mediocre at everything else. Damon Harrison is our new Kris Jenkins.

When can we expect to see Rex the mad scientist developing unique blitz schemes that cause errant passes that end up in our safeties hands? Ever?

What is Rex bringing to the table as a defensive coach right now, that we wouldnt be getting from another?

This unit has underachieved this season. Without having the CB that he can put on an island and take away half the field...well...the defense just looks like the ordinary 2008 version that was awesome against traditional running plays, but mediocre at everything else. Damon Harrison is our new Kris Jenkins.

When can we expect to see Rex the mad scientist developing unique blitz schemes that cause errant passes that end up in our safeties hands? Ever?

pff totes Geno's fault that we're not creating turnovers

The whole thing is just ridiculous at this point.  I honestly couldnt care less if Rex is fired.  I'd like him to stay as I think he's one of the best in the biz and it will be a huge mistake but honestly, the whole debate is tiring.  I've got no say in the matter.  

The D or excuse me, Cro gave up 1 TD...but thats not enough.  They need to create turnovers...meanwhile our best player missed a tackle for a safety and the D couldnt see a loose ball sitting on the ground fumbled by Sanders.  The Steelers got to the RZ twice on Sunday.  Held them to FG's both times.  Not enough.  

Its just moronic...the whole thing.  Rex is clearly a great HC.  Anyone who's ever played for him says so, his records says so, the way this sh*t team is playing says so but we got a bunch of guys on the internet screaming about what he brings to the table because his team gave up 1 TD on Sunday.  

Rex is bringing 8 new starters to the table, 5-6 of which who have never been a starter before and they're playing like one of the better defensive units in the league.

Ordinary?  lol

You want to him to dial up unique blitz schemes meanwhile Cro is playing worse than any other corner in the league and Darrin Walls is starting.  

Rex is bringing 8 new starters to the table, 5-6 of which who have never been a starter before and they're playing like one of the better defensive units in the league.

Ordinary?  lol

You want to him to dial up unique blitz schemes meanwhile Cro is playing worse than any other corner in the league and Darrin Walls is starting.  

The Patriots have been getting by under these pretenses for years. 

Really?

????

Someone needs to do a find and replace of "Sanchez" --> "Rex" for all the Sanchez threads from the last couple years, because the arguments are eerily similar. Right down to teh weapinz!

You keep saying this but Rex Ryan is good at his job and Mark Sanchez isnt...little difference, no?

The Patriots have been getting by under these pretenses for years. 

Brady.  Tom. 

Archived