Geno Smith on his latest two Pick 6 interceptions: "Mistakes are going to happen"

Jetfan13

Bit and others may like you to believe that every turnover is equal to each other, it's just not the case.

ive said in this very thread that that particular play, the first pick 6, wasn't what worried me (for the reasons you bring up, the bad route etc). the more worrysome part about Geno's game is not recognizing the extra blitzers. the Bengals bring 7, the Jets only have 6 blockers, Geno gets Reggie Nelson'ed. I guess he's not losing the football (Improvement?) but until that changes and Geno can recognise the situation and get rid of the ball quickly and accurately, the Jets offense is dead in the water. 

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In reference to Geno's first pick: he clearly was taking the high road on the throw and shouldering all responsibility, but that play was the direct result of he and Kerley reading the defense differently. Kerley cut off that route and sat instead of continue with the out. I can handle those mistakes as it wasn't because he threw into triple coverage, overthrew his receiver or misread a trap coverage, he and Kerley simply read the defense differently and I would probably side with Geno on that one. It was honestly the first time I ever saw him visibly upset on the sideline.

Bit and others may like you to believe that every turnover is equal to each other, it's just not the case. Watch that game: Geno dirted and threw the ball out of play a handful of times, showing marked improvement in decision-making since week 1 and 2. I like what I've seen from this kid and he's shown the ability to make all of the throws. He's gonna make mistakes, but I believe he's shown the ability to win games anD not merely manage them. But he nor our offense is at the level to compensate for the defense and special teams not showing up.

Yeah he was definitely ****in pissed off at Kerley on that one. He was yelling at him on sideline that he has to come back not cut off the route. Geno still has to see this but it comes with time.

ive said in this very thread that that particular play, the first pick 6, wasn't what worried me (for the reasons you bring up, the bad route etc). the more worrysome part about Geno's game is not recognizing the extra blitzers. the Bengals bring 7, the Jets only have 6 blockers, Geno gets Reggie Nelson'ed. I guess he's not losing the football (Improvement?) but until that changes and Geno can recognise the situation and get rid of the ball quickly and accurately, the Jets offense is dead in the water.

Again, reading coverage and making calls at the line of scrimmage takes time.

Recognized Nelson on the first sack, Powell whiffed on the block, but still Geno has to improve. But picking up blitzing schemes is not something to lose hope in a rookie QB and yet this is something you think Simms can do??

Archived