I like Geno

DRJETS

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wilson and Kap werent 1st round picks and I bet there are a dozen teams who wish they invested "high" in those 2 players.

Wilson isn't a "running QB" per se. He only averages 5-6 carries per game. My point is that I wouldn't want to invest in a guy like Manziel or Mariota moving forward unless I was absolutely sure he could transition to a pocket passer in three years when both of his knees are spaghetti.

I don't know how anyone who's watching what's happening to these running QBs this season will think it's a good idea to invest highly in one moving forward. RGIII is a shadow of what he was, Kaepernick has been figured out, Vick is a corpse, and even Russell Wilson has been slowed down considerably. Who's taking a chance on Mariota or Manziel breaking a trend?

Yep and are we even talking about Mariota, Manziel and Boyd if they can't run the ball? All of them are having great seasons, Mariota probably the best out of the bunch, but the thing that separates Geno from them is that he is a pure-pocket passer who has the ability to run the ball, that's something you can't take away when your knees or athleticism goes.  People can compare Geno to Mark and some of the other failures who've had a lot of turnovers, but there's not a throw this kid can't make when he keeps his footwork right and he's shown me the ability to contribute to all the wins we've had as opposed to just not losing. I'm cautiously optimistic about the second half of our season.

Agreed. I just used it more of a jumping off point to express my general distaste for the QB crop this year, outside of Teddy of course.  I don't particularly care for the new read-option type QBs and after Teddy, that's what comprises 90% of the top QBs with Mariota, Manziel and Boyd and possibly Hundley if you look at him like that. As you said though, if someone on our board falls they should grab them, assuming Geno doesn't blow us all away in the next 8 games.  Our roster is so talent depleted that we should continue to draft BPA, regardless of position and Idzik should know this and go into free-agency looking to shore up certain positions so that we aren't caught reaching for players. We're too talent-barren to be reaching for WRs and TEs if they aren't BPA. It's going to be a busy off-season for our GM and FO.

Agreed 100%.

Every team in the league including the lowly Jags has at least one differnce maker, except for the Jets.  Yet, here we are 4-4 after 8.  In my heart, I just don't see even if you bring in Teddy at QB to do better than Geno with these talent less team on offense.  We need our draft to correct a part of our sorry state of the offense.  If we can somehow come out of next year draft with Marquice Lee and either Eric Ebron or Serafin at TE, it will be a total sucess.   

I don't know how anyone who's watching what's happening to these running QBs this season will think it's a good idea to invest highly in one moving forward. RGIII is a shadow of what he was, Kaepernick has been figured out, Vick is a corpse, and even Russell Wilson has been slowed down considerably. Who's taking a chance on Mariota or Manziel breaking a trend?

Agreed.  In this league, the QB need to throw the ball with great accuracy first and foremost, in order to suceed.  With the QB coming out in next year draft, I rather keep Geno who had great accuracy in college almost 70% for his career, and 60% so far in the pro than a running QB who is a runner first and a thrower second.

The question is what if Bridgewater (highly doubtful but who knows for sure), Manziel or Mariota are there when the Jets pick in the first? You know if one is there and the Jets pass on them, that's your next future Super Bowl MVP. I like Geno too but just asking.

I like Manziel a lot but I just dont know if his arm strenght will be an impediment at the next level.  I havent watch many games on Mariota but their offense is based on read-option.

Also, the secondary lost the game yesterday. The conumbrdrum is if the Jets took a S or another CB in the first I'll puke. But minus Denver, no offense was keeping that team in the game yesterday.

I hope that Idzik take Cro 15 Millions for next into signing safety Jairus Byrd and CB Vontae Davis.

I like Manziel a lot but I just dont know if his arm strenght will be an impediment at the next level.  I havent watch many games on Mariota but their offense is based on read-option.

Mariota might be the crown jewel, especially if Kaepernick bounces back from that little slide, which it seems he's doing. Mariota is like a better version of Kaepernick. He has all the same skills but is more of a natural athlete. And he doesn't look like an alien.

I hope that Idzik take Cro 15 Millions for next into signing safety Jairus Byrd and CB Vontae Davis.

Yeah, I'd rather fix the secondary with Cap/FAs and draft weapons to surround Geno...if they still think he's the guy by end year. The elite passrusher's isn't happening next year either.

interesing stuff...

2012:

Manziel: 42 total TDs, 4,631 total yards, 26TD/9int passing, 68%CP

G.Smith: 44 total TDs, 4,356 total yards, 42TD/6int passing, 71%CP

The team that drafts Manziel is taking a giant MFing gamble on a Tebowesque scale. You won't be allowed to not start him, and you won't be able to control him. There are going to be so many distractions surrounding him, I already feel bad for whatever coach has to deal with it all.

The team that drafts Manziel is taking a giant MFing gamble on a Tebowesque scale. You won't be allowed to not start him, and you won't be able to control him. There are going to be so many distractions surrounding him, I already feel bad for whatever coach has to deal with it all.

Every logical bone in body agrees with you. But I just have this Jet related paranoia that he gets picked like, right after Jets take the next proto typical generic NFL TE and Manziel goes on to prove everyone wrong and is the next Brees/Vick-esque star.

Still though the statistical comparison next to the Heisman Trophy Winner is a nice little nod to Geno's skills and potential. Especially when people are starting to wonder if next years guy is so much better.

The question is what if Bridgewater (highly doubtful but who knows for sure), Manziel or Mariota are there when the Jets pick in the first? You know if one is there and the Jets pass on them, that's your next future Super Bowl MVP. I like Geno too but just asking.

If Mariota is there when we pick we HAVE to take him.  I mean even if Geno is our guy you can never have too many QB's.  We should be taking one every year when the value is right.

Also, the secondary lost the game yesterday. The conumbrdrum is if the Jets took a S or another CB in the first I'll puke. But minus Denver, no offense was keeping that team in the game yesterday.

the Dolphins went up 17 - 0 before the Pats came back. it is not only possible but the league wants come backs to happen (notice the refs making Jets calls like the fumble at the 1 reaching for the pilon that was overturned). come backs are good drama. the team going down 14-0 it wasn't over. they had a goalline stand and a Mo Wilk INT. what stopped a Jets comeback was the lack of any offense. They don't have to be Denver, or even the Pats to come back. 

If Mariota is there when we pick we HAVE to take him. I mean even if Geno is our guy you can never have too many QB's. We should be taking one every year when the value is right.

id like to say I agree but not sure. I guess we'll have to wait and see how it plays out but Mariota is a beast.

id like to say I agree but not sure. I guess we'll have to wait and see how it plays out but Mariota is a beast.

Yeah, I don't see much possibility that he's there when we pick.  Of all the QB's in the draft I think I like him the most.  He's gonna go top 10.

the Dolphins went up 17 - 0 before the Pats came back. it is not only possible but the league wants come backs to happen (notice the refs making Jets calls like the fumble at the 1 reaching for the pilon that was overturned). come backs are good drama. the team going down 14-0 it wasn't over. they had a goalline stand and a Mo Wilk INT. what stopped a Jets comeback was the lack of any offense. They don't have to be Denver, or even the Pats to come back.

You just don't like Geno, three was no coming back, don't give me the ref's fix the game for comebacks. You'd have us waste 16 mill per on a one legged 29 year old corner.

If Mariota is there when we pick we HAVE to take him.  I mean even if Geno is our guy you can never have too many QB's.  We should be taking one every year when the value is right.

it's a really deep crop next year at QB. there could be 4-5 taken in rd 1, and 11-13 in the top 100. Guys like Zach Mettenberger, David Fales and the hot sleeper Jimmy Garappolo from Eastern Illinois.

dear football jesus let Jimmy Garappolo be good so we can hear announcers say that name for the next decade. 

http://www.csnchicago.com/bears/best-qb-youve-never-heard-garoppolo-making-his-mark-eastern-illinois

Taking a QB every year for the hell of it makes no sense. Was Matt Barkley in round 4 good value when he'll be out of the league in 3 years?

It's not "for the hell of it", and it's not just anyone.  Barkley sucks, no way anyone should be taking a chance on any USC QB.  Mariota is a high level breed of talent.  Big difference.  

This is a QB-driven league so stockpiling QB's is always smart.  It's the one pick that you can make that can transform your team.  If we aren't fully sure about Geno when the season is over we need to be taking advantage of one of the most QB-rich drafts that's happened in a while.  It doesn't HAVE to be a 1st round guy but like I said, Mariota is a top 10 guy.  If he's there when we pick at around 14-18 we gotta pull the trigger.

If Mariota is there when we pick we HAVE to take him. I mean even if Geno is our guy you can never have too many QB's. We should be taking one every year when the value is right.

If we end up with the 12th pick, we won't get close to Mariota or Bridgewater. You'd be looking at guys like Manziel and maybe Derek Carr or AJ McCarron (if he shows any arm strength in workouts). IMO, they will not be the BPA when we pick there.

Not w a rookie QB on the road. Not gona be a Geno apologist but you have to give him some leash before you can determine he isn't the guy IMO. Not sure why you're willing to do this for every other rookie the Jets have had and not Geno.

If we end up with the 12th pick, we won't get close to Mariota or Bridgewater. You'd be looking at guys like Manziel and maybe Derek Carr or AJ McCarron (if he shows any arm strength in workouts). IMO, they will not be the BPA when we pick there.

I 100 % agree.

You just don't like Geno, three was no coming back, don't give me the ref's fix the game for comebacks. You'd have us waste 16 mill per on a one legged 29 year old corner.

right now Darrelle Revis on one leg is better than Cro and Dee put together. Lets bring up the Revis discussion after the secondary performance yesterday? since we are talking about it, trading Revis put 13 mil in dead space on the cap, which could have in theory been used on better players. The jets are cap strapped because they chose to be strapped. 

Not w a rookie QB on the road. Not gona be a Geno apologist but you have to give him some leash before you can determine he isn't the guy IMO. Not sure why you're willing to do this for every other rookie the Jets have had and not Geno.

every other rookie from Drob to Gholston earned their playing time. I have no faith that Geno's actually the best QB on this roster. Even going 3-7 for 17 yards in garbage time Simms looked like there's a possibility he could be better. David Garrard got treatment on his knee? Great, get him in there. 

I'll tell you a story once upon I time I played for a college football team where the QB wasn't even the starter on his HS team. Geno is not nearly as talent-poor as this particular individual, in fact he's quite a good prospect. But he didn't earn that job and that's my problem with Geno. They are starting him based on what they hope happens, and that is not how a football team should operate. not at any level, pee wee HS, college or pros. the QB should be the best QB. 

every other rookie from Drob to Gholston earned their playing time. I have no faith that Geno's actually the best QB on this roster. Even going 3-7 for 17 yards in garbage time Simms looked like there's a possibility he could be better. David Garrard got treatment on his knee? Great, get him in there. 

I'll tell you a story once upon I time I played for a college football team where the QB wasn't even the starter on his HS team. Geno is not nearly as talent-poor as this particular individual, in fact he's quite a good prospect. But he didn't earn that job and that's my problem with Geno. They are starting him based on what they hope happens, and that is not how a football team should operate. not at any level, pee wee HS, college or pros. the QB should be the best QB. 

Ok then how did Milliner "earn" is starting role?

Geno's the best QB on the roster.  By a long shot.  

Archived